PDA

View Full Version : TPWW AL MVP voting 2006

The Miz
10-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Can't post the stats because TPWW = is gay and needs like 100 less characters.

MVP
10-08-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm still trying to decide between Jeter, Santana, and Thomas. Pretty tough this year for AL.

Joey Slugs
10-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I went with Jeter. The Yankees had to come from behind to romp the divison and everything just seemed to go right for their captain.

Evil Vito
10-08-2006, 07:23 PM
<font color=goldenrod>The Big Hurt.

It'll probably be Jeter though, despite playing on a team with a stacked lineup that could probably win without him</font>

YOUR Hero
10-08-2006, 07:52 PM
I gave my vote to the Canadian, EH. I'm actually a fan of Jeter, but I don't think, in that line up, he'd be missed like an Ortiz would be or a Morneau or a Big Hurt. Know what I mean?

weather vane
10-09-2006, 12:49 AM
papi

Crippla
10-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Frank Thomas has had an amazing season and :n: at people voting based on their home team.

Dragon
10-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Gotta go with Jeter, seen him play all year and know what he has done for the team.

The Miz
10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Those who voted Jeter, let me ask you something. How many games do you think this lineup wins:

1. Jason Kendall C
2. Mark Kotsay CF
3. Milton Bradley RF
4. Eric Chavez 3B
5. Jay Payton LF
6. Nick Swisher 1B
7. Bobby Kielty DH
8. Mark Ellis 2B
9. Marco Scutaro SS

Answer? a lot less than Anaheim.

Part 2, how many games does this lineup win:

1. Johnny Damon CF
2. Robinson Cano 2B
3. Bobby Abreu RF
4. Jason Giambi DH
5. Alex Rodriguez 3B
6. Jorge Posada C
7. Craig Wilson 1B
8. Melky Cabrera LF
9. Miguel Cairo SS

Answer? a lot more than Boston. I don't see any way you can say Jeter brings a bigger impact to his team than Frank Thomas does. A middle of the order that's threats are Nick Swisher (152 K), Jay Payton (10 HR, 22 BB), and Eric Chavez (.241 AVG) does not win any division. A lineup that has 8 hall-of-famers instead of 9 can still clobber Manny, Ortiz and 23 roleplayers.

FakeLaser
10-09-2006, 07:31 PM
The Captain gets the lifetime achievement award.

ct2k
10-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Jeter. I think people understimate how important he is to us.

The Miz
10-10-2006, 03:20 PM
In what way

ct2k
10-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Little things I guess, the fact that he very rarely has an unproductive out being one, he might strike out but it'll probably take 12 pitches to do it, 12 more pitches to see what the guy on the mound is about, 12 more pitches to tire his arm.

He does everything, he can hit for power, both ways, down the middle, he hits as well w/RISP as anybody in the majors. He steals bases, hits sac flies etc. And defensively he's not Ozzie Smith but he's solid as hell, got a great arm and he hustles like few others in the game. That kinda thing can't be underestimated, it charges up everybody whether they're on the field or in the dugout.

Jeter is hardly unique in this, and I don't think we'd collapse without him, but he's definitely been the spark in our offense this year and our leader on and off the field. As far as how any team would do without that star guy is all what-ifs anyway, had Jeter not been around somebody else might've filled the void, same thing in Oakland, they were winning games before Frank Thomas came along and they'd probably win without him.

The Miz
10-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Yeah the A's won games before they Thomas, but not more than the Angels. It's not a coincidence that they won the division for the first time since Tejada left. Thomas SINGLE-HANDEDLY put them over the top. That lineup does not win the division with a Chavez/Payton/Swisher middle of the order, they proved that last year. And early this year when Thomas was wearing off the rust, the team scored like 10 runs in April. The A's last two cleanup hitters were Jermaine Dye (2004, 23 home runs) and Eric Chavez (2005, 27 home runs); good hitters obviously, but not suited for the #4 hole. It was obvious they needed a legitimate threat batting cleanup and they got one, and they won the division because of it. I'm sorry but I don't see Jason Giambi's .971 OPS being attributed to Jeter's hustle, or Johnny Damon's career high in homers being attributed to Jeter charging him up. The Yankees have a ridiculous offense with or without Jeter and they were better than the Red Sox this year, with or without Jeter. And if Jeter's leadership skills are so amazing that they actually make people play better, I don't see why Alex Rodriguez had one of the worst seasons of his career at the "prime years" age of 31. Obviously ARod was extremely affected by the media pressures this year, you'd think a leader as incredible as Jeter would maybe stick up for his teammate and tell the fans to stop booing one of the greatest players of all time. If the Yankees actually had team chemistry, Jeter's leadership being a factor towards an MVP vote might be legitamate. But seriously, watch the Yankees play and try to tell me those guys gel together and have fun together.

YOUR Hero
10-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Like I said, I'm a Jeter fan, but he's not the leagues' MVP this year. The Yankees? - Sure, but not the leagues.
Like FakeRazor stated, if he wins it, it's for what he's done all his carreer. That's a warm and fuzzy thought, but it completely goes against what the award is supposed to be for.
I like Morneau for the award, then Thomas

The Outlaw
10-12-2006, 05:23 PM
I dunno, the Oakland rotation kinda cancels out the Yankee lineup for me. It's close though.

BCWWF
10-12-2006, 07:35 PM
In all forms of the award, most valuable to the team, most outstanding player, etc., I voted for Johan Santana. Apparently pitchers can't win though, so...I don't know, nobody stands out for me. Might as well just give it to A-Rod again.