PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hunter dies after cancer battle

Disturbed316
10-09-2006, 07:11 PM
HUNTER LOSES CANCER BATTLE
Monday 9th October 2006

Snooker player Paul Hunter has died of cancer at the age of 27.
The Leeds player, who was diagnosed with the disease last year, passed away on Monday evening after being admitted to Huddersfield's Kirkwood Hospice last Friday.

Despite being told in March 2005 that he had dozens of neuro endocrine tumours lining his stomach, Hunter continued to play professional snooker.

But chemotherapy treatment inevitably took its toll and Hunter, who won the Wembley Masters title on three occasions and rose to fourth in the world rankings, plummeted 30 places after winning only one match last season.

Tributes were led by seven-times world champion Stephen Hendry, who said: "I'm absolutely devastated by the news.

"He's got a young family and he had a fantastic future in front of him.

"It's everyone's worst nightmare and puts everything into perspective."

John Parrott, world champion in 1991, added: "It's a great loss to the sport but more importantly than that it's a great loss to his family.

"Paul played the game with a smile on his face. He was a bright and bubbly character and I never heard him complain.

"He was always such a happy person. We're all going to miss him."

Hunter turned professional at the age of 16 in 1995 and claimed his first title three years later with success at the Welsh Open.

He claimed his second Welsh Open title in 2002 and also won the British Open in that year.

But it was his exploits at Wembley for which Hunter will probably be best remembered, coming from 7-3 down to beat Fergal O'Brien 10-9 in the 2001 final.

He then fought back 12 months later from a 5-0 deficit against Mark Williams to take another 10-9 victory.

And his Wembley comeback hat-trick was completed in 2004, Hunter this time defeating Ronnie O'Sullivan in the deciding frame.

His best performance in the World Championships came in 2003 when, having led Ken Doherty 15-9 in the semi-finals, the Irishman came back to score a 17-16 victory.

Hunter, who would have been 28 on Saturday, leaves a wife, Lindsey, and a nine-month-old daughter, Evie Rose.

Damn :( It was always great watching him play, was lucky to see him live a couple of times. Think the most shocking thing was how young he was.

Mike the Metal Ed
10-09-2006, 07:18 PM
R.I.P. :(

CSL
10-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Think the most shocking thing was how young he was.

<font color=white>I couldn't believe it when I read this earlier. It's fuckin' bullshit. I thought he was on the mend. Wife, baby, 27. :nono: </font>

BatistaBombed!
10-09-2006, 07:50 PM
This is so sad. Rest in peace Paul, you didn't deserve this.

ct2k
10-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Was pretty shocked to read this this morning, the way he carried on playing with it all and didn't let it get him down was amazing, lot of guts the guy had and obviously a lot of talent and love for the game, he'll definitely be missed

Ogen
10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
He was quality never looked like a snooker player at all few mates met him a good few times said he was a top bloke too. Far too young to die tis horrible

Paranoid Rattlesnake
10-10-2006, 12:03 PM
RIP Paul, Not only the snooker world will miss you