PDA

View Full Version : What match in history is way overlooked or underated?

Jordan
10-10-2006, 04:30 PM
My choice would be Jeff Jarrett v.s Raven on the Weekly PPV's, I belive in 2004. It was the first time they had fought and I remember such a big match feel for this PPV. It was one of the most enjoyable matches ever for me to watch.

McLegend
10-10-2006, 04:34 PM
That was TNA's highest weekly PPV buy rate. Still might actually be there biggest buy rate don't know though.

Mr. Aristocrat
10-10-2006, 04:43 PM
TNA totally fucked up royally with that one.

Another massively overlooked match is Jeff Hardy/The Undertaker Ladder Match for the Undisputed Title.

Jordan
10-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Yeah that was a great match. It was minimal almost, but the moves meant a lot, Jeff sold it really well, Taker looked like a devil.

jindrak
10-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Angle/Austin, Summerslam 2002. Sans the finish, it's a classic match.

Mr. JL
10-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah, the Jarrett-Raven match that occured in 2003 was really impressive for TNA and enjoyable to watch. The feud was built up so nicely and the two certainly delivered during the match.

It's just a shame they have never had a rematch for the title belt. Hell, TNA went as far as to tease another match all through-out 2003 and 2004 then they just never delivered the match. Then they even started building it up again last year at this time, but still neglected to deliver a one on one match for the title that was on PPV or TV. I know they had that retarded title change at a BCW indy show, but that just proved how gay TNA is. .

Mr. JL
10-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah, the Jarrett-Raven match that occured in 2003 was really impressive for TNA and enjoyable to watch. The feud was built up so nicely and the two certainly delivered during the match.

It's just a shame they have never had a rematch for the title belt. Hell, TNA went as far as to tease another match all through-out 2003 and 2004 then they just never delivered the match. Then they even started building it up again last year at this time, but still neglected to deliver a one on one match for the title that was on PPV or TV. I know they had that retarded title change at a BCW indy show, but that just proved how gay TNA is. .

Stickman
10-10-2006, 05:15 PM
I'd say an Jericho match.

Rammsteinmad
10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Jericho VS Christian VS RVD for the IC title at Unforgiven 2003.

Jeritron
10-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Triple H vs Jericho, Last Man Standing Fully Loaded 2000
Kurt Angle vs Benoit WWE Title, Rumble 03 (This match gets a lot of credit but still not enough)
Triple H and Stone Cold vs Benoit and Jericho for the Tag Titles on Raw 2001
Christian vs RVD ladder match for the title.
I remember marking out for HHH(wwf champ) vs Tazz(ecw champ) on smackdown but I cant recall if it was actually even that good

Theres a lot I cant think of right now, Austin vs Angle was a good call

Mr. JL
10-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Also...
Austin V. Muta @ Spring Stampede '94
Big Bossman V. Vader @ Spring Stampede '94
Regal V. Finlay @ Uncensored '96
Guerrero V. Mysterio @ World War 3 '97
RVD V. Storm @ Guilty as Charged '99
Storm V. Lynn @ Anarchy Rulz '99
Whipwreck+Tajiri V. Kash+Crazy @ Massacre on 34th Street '00
Styles V. Lynn @ Road to the Title '02
Benoit V. RVD @ Summer Slam '02
Kidman V. London @ No Mercy '04
Benjamin V. Jericho @ Backlash '05

Jordan
10-11-2006, 12:31 AM
How about Jericho v.s Cena v.s Christain, that match was great. But still none of the matches mentioned so far were bigger than Raven and Jarrett.

The Show Off
10-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Perhaps it's me but people don't show respect to...

Triple H v. Mick Foley v. The Big Show v. The Rock (Wrestlemania 2000)

I personlly think it's one of the best matches in wrestlemania history but people crap on it because of the "McMahon" influence. But if you ignore that the match is really quite good.

Jeritron
10-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Its actually an alright match since big show goes out right away, and then after mick its basically just a rock/hhh match. I just had huge problems with the finish.
Angle vs Jericho vs Benoit was a great match that night and it gets overshadowed by the Ladder Match and the main event. It was practically the only singles match of the night too.

Jordan
10-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Chris Jericho v.s Triple H at Wrestlemania is another match that is really good but overlooked.

Jeritron
10-11-2006, 03:15 AM
Yea, they had a great match but it got lost because of following Hogan/Rock and the crowd was out of it too.

Dave Youell
10-11-2006, 03:19 AM
Scotty 2 Hotty Vs Dean Malenko

Can't remember the PPV, but it was for the lightweight belt, I know it sounds crazy, but it was a really good match.

Also HBK/Foley - Mind Games

Volare
10-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Taka vs Augila (i think that's the name//for the record Essa Rios) Lightweight belt @ Wrestlemania 14

great match IMO

Lara Emily
10-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Goldberg vs DDP HH 98, probably the only truly great Goldberg match.

AdrianM
10-11-2006, 05:41 AM
Goldberg VS Nash for the world heavyweight title.

I loved this match, but mainly because of the crowd...the finish with scott hall sucked tho

Jeritron
10-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Goldberg vs DDP HH 98, probably the only truly great Goldberg match.

I remember seeing that match on Nitro for free the next night because of technical difficulties with the PPV.

Ben Rodrigues
10-11-2006, 07:53 AM
My choice would be Jeff Jarrett v.s Raven on the Weekly PPV's, I belive in 2004. It was the first time they had fought and I remember such a big match feel for this PPV. It was one of the most enjoyable matches ever for me to watch.

This match annoyed the hell out of me and turned me off the product for quite some time. When the seeds were planted for what I would say was the feud of that year – being Jeff Jarrett vs. Raven I was really pumped.

Jeff Jarrett vs. Raven was a long drawn out, carefully planned and highly entertaining feud – with tons of excellent promos from Raven speaking of it being destiny to win the title. This was the feud that drew me in and I couldn’t get enough of it. Every week I would download the pay-per-views eager to see the development of the rivalry. Then finally it all came to a head – and I even ordered this pay-per-view opposed to downloading it because I had to see this one live.

It was logical – everyone knew it. Raven was meant to win the title. So here we are – main event time. Raven vs. Jeff Jarrett for the NWA World Championship. We get a decent match and then – one hell of a fucked up ending. We get interference against Jarrett and everything else that makes Raven seem weak – and he still couldn’t pin Jarrett. Jarrett goes over clean – the arena breaks out in boos – they also know that the ending was bullshit.

Took me quite a while to actually get back into TNA after that.

redoneja
10-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Scotty 2 Hotty Vs Dean Malenko

Can't remember the PPV, but it was for the lightweight belt, I know it sounds crazy, but it was a really good match.

Backlash 2000. Pretty sure it opened the card and I'm pretty sure Malenko won with a DDT from the top rope.

Mr. Monday Morning
10-11-2006, 01:51 PM
redoneja is correct. Would've been a phenomenal match if Scotty hadn't forgotten that Dean had basically destroyed his knee for 10 minutes when he went into the Worm :roll:

There's a load, but one that springs to mind is HHH vs Austin, No Way Out 2001. Best 2/3 falls, regular match, street fight, cage match. Went about 40 minutes I think. Great, great brawl from two guys at the top of their game.

Yashamaga
10-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Guerrero/Mysterio Jr.

Halloween Havoc '97

Rammsteinmad
10-11-2006, 03:12 PM
redoneja is correct. Would've been a phenomenal match if Scotty hadn't forgotten that Dean had basically destroyed his knee for 10 minutes when he went into the Worm :roll:

There's a load, but one that springs to mind is HHH vs Austin, No Way Out 2001. Best 2/3 falls, regular match, street fight, cage match. Went about 40 minutes I think. Great, great brawl from two guys at the top of their game.

Wasn't that match of the year or summit?

Another 2001 match I really like is the Survivor Series match... great match, great wrestlers, great story (well... kinda), and great ending that the crowd were really into.

Savio
10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Austin vs Macmahon, Cage, (St. Valentines day massacure 99)
Angle vs Shelton (Raw Summer of 2005)

Just John
10-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Main Event of WM XX. Loved that match.

Mr. Aristocrat
10-11-2006, 03:42 PM
How on god's green earth is the main event of Mania XX over looked? It makes almost everyone's top ten list.

YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!

A slightly overlooked match, not a classic, but certainly fun none the less was Undertaker/Big Show vs. Rock'N'Sock Buried Alive from one of the first SmackDowns.

Tb1
10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Angle/Austin, Summerslam 2002. Sans the finish, it's a classic match.

That was actually 2001, but I agree, that match was fantastic. Also, their match @ Unforgiven '01 was great too.

Just John
10-11-2006, 04:16 PM
How on god's green earth is the main event of Mania XX over looked? It makes almost everyone's top ten list.

YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!

A slightly overlooked match, not a classic, but certainly fun none the less was Undertaker/Big Show vs. Rock'N'Sock Buried Alive from one of the first SmackDowns.

Is it? I dont really hang around these parts much.

Caged Heat18
10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Jericho/Christian from Wrestlemania XX was great as well.

Goulet
10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Warrior/Savage from WMVII... to drag that good of a match out of the Warrior shows just how damn awesome Savage was in his prime... too bad he went crazy and put out a rap album.

Jordan
10-11-2006, 04:48 PM
I gotta clarify, some of you are putting up mid card matches... while these matches were great, we all have our favorite little matches like that that are amazing. But im talking about big matches that are over looked, like Raven/Jarret, HHH/Jericho, Angle/Austin, DDP/Goldberg, HHH/Rock/Show/Mankind, those matches that we tend for forget because they kind of get lost in the shuffle for some reason. I really just wanted to be reminded of some of the great matches in history that are overlooked.

Xero
10-11-2006, 05:06 PM
I've always loved the SummerSlam 94(?) Ladder match between Razor and Shawn. It's always overshadowed by the Mania X match, but the SummerSlam match was just as great as the Mania X match.

Savio
10-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah well I consider Raven and Jarret midcarders

redoneja
10-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I've always loved the SummerSlam 94(?) Ladder match between Razor and Shawn. It's always overshadowed by the Mania X match, but the SummerSlam match was just as great as the Mania X match.

Summerslam 1995 actually. What was unique about this ladder match was that before the match, a stipulation was inserted making it illegal to the use the ladder as an offensive weapon. If you go back and watch it, you'll see just how different it is.

Jeritron
10-12-2006, 12:01 AM
This wasnt really one great match, but how about the night HHH ran the guantlet on Smackdown, facing Rock, Mankind, Kane, Big Show, and Undertaker in specialty matches.

redoneja
10-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Yea, wasn't that right before the Six-Pack Challenge at Unforgiven 99? Like he had to wrestle Taker in a Casket match(Taker walked out though, "disappeared " until returning as the American Badass), Kane in a Buried Alive match, and I can't remember the other matches he ended up having to compete in. It was pretty awesome though, tbh.

Skippord
10-12-2006, 12:27 AM
HBK/Foley at Mind Games

Jeritron
10-12-2006, 12:32 AM
It was Kane in an inferno match, taker in a casket match, big show in a chokeslam challenge, mankind in a boiler brawl, and rock in a 'brahma bull' (strap) match.

edit: that night also featured the re-union of the New Age Outlaws winning the tag titles off the Rock n Sock, the return of the british bulldog, ken shamrocks last match a first blood match against jericho (in Buffalo Sabres gear), and special guest Bret Hull and Mike Modano

Caged Heat18
10-12-2006, 12:50 AM
I was always a huge fan of the Rocker/Orient Express match from Royal Rumble 1991. It is my favorite tag team match of all time. Also, Barbarian/Boss Man from that same card was quite the pleasant surprise.

Caged Heat18
10-12-2006, 12:51 AM
HBK/Foley at Mind Games

:y: Awesome match. The only I did not like was the bullshit ending, but the match was great. I think Mick Foley even said that was his best or one of his best matches of his career.

Fox
10-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Sting vs. Cactus Jack - Beach Blast 1992 (?)

DDP vs. Ric Flair vs. Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting - WCW Championship - Spring Stampede 1998

Team WWF (The Rock, Chris Jericho, The Undertaker, Kane, Big Show) vs. Team Alliance (Rob Van Dam, Kurt Angle, Stone Cold, Booker T, Shane McMahon) for ownership of the World Wrestling Federation - Survivor Series 2001

Chris Benoit vs. Bret "The Hitman" Hart - WCW Championship - WCW Mayhem 2000

Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H - World Heavyweight Championship Best 2/3 Falls Match: Street Fight, Steel Cage, Ladder Match - Armageddon 2002

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Dude Love - WWF Championship - Over the Edge 1998 (?)

samichna
10-12-2006, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior vs. Bobby Heenan - Weasel Suit Match

Jeritron
10-12-2006, 02:07 AM
Shawn Michaels vs HHH-World Title Royal Rumble 04 was pretty good
The WMXX REMATCH at Backlash was overshadowed by its predecessor

Mankind vs The Rock vs Ken Shamrock Steel Cage Match for #1 contendership- Breakdown '98

Raw is War (late 98)-WWE Title Match-Triple H vs The Rock

Skippord
10-12-2006, 03:21 AM
:y: Awesome match. The only I did not like was the bullshit ending, but the match was great. I think Mick Foley even said that was his best or one of his best matches of his career.
I think he said its his favorite in one of his books.

Russenmafia
10-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Benoit vs Austin SD! 2001 for the wwf title (match with 10 german suplexes in it)

addy2hotty
10-12-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't think Hart vs Davey Boy at SS 1992 gets the credit it deserves considering the atmosphere, build-up and actual match itself.

addy2hotty
10-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Benoit vs Austin SD! 2001 for the wwf title (match with 10 german suplexes in it)

...and two broken freaking necks. I remember that moment. Cringing after about the 4th.

Juan
10-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Stone Cold and Shawn Michaels vs Owen Hart and Bulldog for the Tag Titles on Raw 1997
Triple H and Stone Cold vs Benoit and Jericho for the Tag Titles on Raw 2001

redoneja
10-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Bret Hart v British Bulldog at the Dec 95 In Your House
Shawn Michaels v Diesel In Your House April 1996

Jeritron
10-16-2006, 04:16 AM
I recall Shawn Michaels vs Shelton from a Raw in 05 being really good
I dont even remember who won, I just remember enjoying it quite a bit and of course that spot with an airborne sweet chin

Avenger
10-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I dunno if it's totally underrated but HBK/HHH from Summerslam '02 is the best match I've ever seen. It's my favourite match of all-time and the best they ever had.

Jordan
10-16-2006, 12:04 PM
I dunno if it's totally underrated but HBK/HHH from Summerslam '02 is the best match I've ever seen. It's my favourite match of all-time and the best they ever had.

I was going to say this match as well, It is very overlooked.