PDA

View Full Version : Here's An Idea

Kalyx triaD
10-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Every once and a while I get little spurts of videgame ideas that I know I'll never see to completion, but still feel like sharing, ya know? So I got this little space to lay down some of those run-in-run-out ideas. You can do the same if you want, the only bad idea is the one not worth expressing. ...Or something like that. It's something my 7th Grade teacher said, leave me alone!

Title: A Shooting Game
Console:Wii
Genre: FPS/Light-Gun
Details (Anything from story to how it plays):

I have no story, I just wanna talk about how I want this bad-boy to play. It's an FPS that does not - I repeat - does not have the a gun model in the lower right of the screen. The idea I have is an FPS with Light-Gun features.

You use the Wiimote Zapper (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Wii_zapper.jpg) shell in one hand while you use the nunchuk in the other. The twin sticks will be used in typical FPS fashion; LS-Movement, RS-Looking. That's where the familiar stuff ends, since you'll be able to point your 'gun' anywhere on the screen. Imagine GoldenEye's oldschool aim feature where you point your gun anywhere on screen but with the added freedom of head movement. I see this improving FPS design in a few ways...

This will eliminate the old "target-in-center" style of shooting... anything. Do people really shoot directly in front of them? No. Although you're looking in a general direction, you can still blast away at the upper-left, lower-right, so on. With this control scheme you can do just that. And the removal of the gun from it's traditional space on screen? C'mon, you're holding a freakin gun. This will also free up space on screen. What if you're using a different gun in-game? A small pic of whatever weapon you're using will be on, you guessed it, the lower right of the screen. The Wiimote's speaker will also give a different shooting sound (with distinctive rumble) of the current weapon as you use it. Hell, you should know what you're using without that little pic.

You switch weapons with the C-Button on the nunchuk. The Nunchuk's Z-Button will be that all-purpose 'Open-Door', 'Pick-Up-Weapon' button. A quick Up-Down motion of the nunchuk will throw your grenade/knife/what-have-you. A quick Side-to-Side motion on the nunchuk swithes these toss types. I want the input requirement for those motions to be quick, so you don't do the moves by mistake if you're casually moving the nunchuk while doing whatever in real-life.

A quick Corner-to-Corner motion with the Wiimote/Zapper will issue a melee attack, which should have a satisfying 'thud' sound and rumble on the Zapper if you connect.

No jumping, and not because I can't find a way to add that to the control scheme. I would rather not have jumping in this game, not in it's traditional bounce-house form anyway. You can Dive, baby! Straight out of an action flick, you'll be able to dive in one of the eight directions for an air-time of about 1/8 of a second. That's about 2 shots FPS time, right? You perform a Dive by pulling both the nunchuk and Zapper in the oppisite direction you wanna go, then thrusting them in that direction in a Pull-Push sort've way. Better still is it's the type of motion you can't really do by mistake. And since you're already using the Left Stick to move, you can coordinate complicated Dives by moving in one direction than Diving to another, making you a Hard Target (yeah, I said it).

That's it so far. Talk about a brain-leak. Catch ya later if I get another lightbulb over my head.

Drakul
10-15-2006, 11:32 PM
I haven't read the post yet but I will once I post this. I know what you mean by once in a while getting ideas. I constantly get ideas in my head for games. I share them with friends and they seem to think they sound pretty good. I've thought of a at least 4 games in the past few months that I think could be solid. I'd go into detail but I'm going to do something else instead.

Funky Fly
10-16-2006, 01:25 AM
That's pretty sexy. I wanna hump your brain.

Kane Knight
10-16-2006, 05:18 PM
I read this and I think "This is exactly what they had in mind, and what every other 'innovative' mind has thought up since the Wii was first suggested as a FPS machine."

Kalyx triaD
10-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Except, nobody's doing it yet...

Kane Knight
10-16-2006, 11:35 PM
...Yeah, that makes it any more new. :roll:

Better Than You
10-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Great idea Kalyx. I hope their FPS's will be similar to this.

Kalyx triaD
10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
*Wearing the Dunce Hat*

Appearantly I've utterly over-looked that the Wiimote's compartment that takes in the Zapper is the same that you use to connect the Nunchuk as well. Meaning you use one or the other, not both. I'll be looking into the Zapper's features to see if it can take the Nunchuk but it doesn't look likely.

There are ways around this to still use my INNOVATIVE control scheme but it'll harken back to the days of the Gameboy Connectivity's cumbersome hook-ups.

Putting that obstacle aside, how does pulling the Zapper away from the screen to zoom feel? Makes sense to me.

Kalyx triaD
11-28-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm Nyko's biggest fan right now. We need to get together. (http://gear.ign.com/articles/838/838371p1.html)

DS
11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
I had to force myself to continue reading as soon as you brought up the Goldeneye movement. Don't take this personal but horrible idea. When you do this you either force the player to become immobile and allow them to move around the screen, remove straffing from the game, or force players to turn by pointing and holding the retical on either the left or right side of the screen to turn.

These are clunky controls and should never be attempted again. Ever.

But besides that, I think the idea of different rumbles/sounds for each weapon needs to be in pretty much every shooter.

DS
11-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Didn't realize this was over a month old. :(

But that Perfect Shot gun is sexy and is what the Zapper should have been.

RoXer
11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Didn't realize this was over a month old. :(

Try a year :(

Kalyx triaD
11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
I bet the gun would go great with that recent MOH game that came out for Wii. They say the controls are Godly.

DS
11-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Try a year :(
Must have missed it when I died in that car crash last year.