PDA

View Full Version : Ken Shamrock

Goulet
10-19-2006, 09:44 AM
According to Bryan Alvarez's Figure 4 Weekly Newsletter, Vince McMahon is trying to re-sign Ken Shamrock. Vince saw the monster rating that the Shamrock/Ortiz fight did and decided to pursue him again.

Think he can still go?

Kane Knight
10-19-2006, 10:12 AM
If he can cut it in MMA, fake wrestling should be cake.

Disturbed316
10-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Yeah, although Ortiz totally killed him, he should do just fine in a fake sport. He was pretty decent last time round, so I wouldn't object to him coming back.

Jaton
10-19-2006, 11:05 AM
The Ortiz/Shamrock fight shows why UFC sucks now.

McLegend
10-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Say what you want but 3.1 rating and quaterly hour rating of 5.7 or something like that def means they are doing something right.

Actually I think Ken would be better if he was in TNA. I think Angle/Shamrock feud could be really good.

Caged Heat18
10-19-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm sure he can still go, but I was never a big fan of him, so I don't particulary need to see him back.

Schoenauer
10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I highly doubt Shamrock can save WWE's ratings.

JH
10-19-2006, 12:06 PM

actually that fight showed that ortiz is in fact the baddest SOB in the ufc

Jaton
10-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Say what you want but 3.1 rating and quaterly hour rating of 5.7 or something like that def means they are doing something right.

Actually I think Ken would be better if he was in TNA. I think Angle/Shamrock feud could be really good.

So you deny the huge build-up to the fight, only for it to be ended in 1 minute because Shamrock was not "intelligently defending himself?"

They're doing much right. The fans were booing for most of the event after that.

McLegend
10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
So you deny the huge build-up to the fight, only for it to be ended in 1 minute because Shamrock was not "intelligently defending himself?"

They're doing much right. The fans were booing for most of the event after that.
That was the ref calls. Dana White and the rest of UFC couldn't do anything about that.

Then what do they do after that they put the fight on Spike Tv for Free. The fans were pretty much happy with that. UFC definitely did the right thing there.

Kane Knight
10-19-2006, 12:31 PM
The realk question is: Would he do it?

I mean, he can probably make more in one fight and getting totally slaughtered than he can in a 6 month period with WWE.

Jaton
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
It'd be hard to show highlights from that match without showing the entire match itself.

Rammsteinmad
10-19-2006, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't object to seeing him again, but he'll only get buried and released. As soon the Vince sees the ratings didn't go up Shamrock will be depushed. See: Great Khali.

PullMyFinger
10-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Shamrock was awesome back in the Attitude Era.

Bad Company
10-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Shamrock had his chance, no point in bringing him back now.

AdrianM
10-19-2006, 11:10 PM
I'd love to see Shamrock back, was always a huge fan of his.

Destor
10-19-2006, 11:14 PM
I was a huge Shamrock mark so I have no objections to him coming back, could be good money if Shamrock brings some work ethic with him.

FourFifty
10-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey, maybe he could turn into a total rip on Kurt Angle? "You want to talk about real wrestling? THIS IS REAL!!! AAAARRRRRRRRGGGG!!!!" Talk about how he has the worlds most painful ankle lock, have Shamrock be the first man to get a victory over Umaga, and maybe even push him to the US title.

Destor
10-19-2006, 11:39 PM
I'd imagine Kurt is the only reason Vince wants Shamrock.

Dave Youell
10-20-2006, 06:19 AM
I'd imagine Kurt is the only reason Vince wants Shamrock.
I agree, but as already said, I don't think anyone can have a real reason to hate the guy, he had some decent matches and feuds. His promo work wasn't terrible, he did miss that spark ala Benoit. But a very sloid mid card guy.

Plus i'm sure the guy would take the nice pay cheques as well.

Kind of hope this happens the more I think of it

Jeritron
10-20-2006, 06:29 AM
If they bring him in now he could work well. In his first run, he was built as a snapcase and the worlds most dangerous man. But this time around if they embrace his UFC background a little bit more and make him a little less of a psychopath and more of a tough guy (with a tendency to snap) it would be more effective.
His entrance could be booked big, and maybe even give him a PPV shot at one of the titles. From there on I could see him being a solid upper mid card draw and maybe even be used to put over a team shamrock, like angle did with WGTT.
Of course if you have him debut on Raw and then immediately sign with Smackdown, he could even be a top guy for a while there, they need whatever they can get.

Dave Youell
10-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Either way, I doubt they will try and overdue the UFC background this time round as UFC is now direct competition for Vince

Jeritron
10-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Plus calling attention to UFC does indeed call attention to TNA in a roundabout way, seeing as they're on the same channel and aired on the same night.

Destor
10-20-2006, 06:54 AM
With the exposure of the UFC I don't see how they can ignore it UFC background. His MMA adds credibility (more so than before) to Shamrock, which could most likely make sure he is still over with the marks. Making your enemy an asset.

But on the other side to that after his last three fights I don't know if he has much credibility left...will the WWE audience still buy him after seeing so easily handled? And if Vince pushes him to the moon in kayfabe what does that say about the WWE roster?

Granted MMA is a real sport unlike Pro-Wrestling, but when that show begins the audience is supposed to believe they are watching the best in the world. If we see Shamrock making Triple H tap to the Ankle Lock just six months after being destroyed by Rich Franklin and Tito Ortiz, how bad do they look in comparison? I think thats a comparison that Vince is going to want to avoid.

That pretty much guarantees that he will not be anywhere near the Main Event scene. The mid card looks to be a lot more promising for Samrock, but I don't know how long Shamrock will allow them to keep him in the mid card (if at all,) giving his ego...

I don't know how this will all play out, or even if anything will come of it, but I personally wouldn't know what to do with Shamrock if he were on my roster. His name is all most to good for the mid card, and him beating your people hurts you (and in way puts over you opposition) more than it benefits you. At least from where I'm sitting.

Destor
10-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Seems like more negatives than positives really, although I should add I have always wanted one more run from Shamrock (and still do,) but given the current situation of it all I just don't know how wise it would be. It'll be fun to watch one way or the other, that much I am sure.

Jeritron
10-20-2006, 07:57 AM
I'd love to see him get a run, but the only way to make him work is either debut him big on the main event scene and have him fail to gain the title, then slowly phase him into the midcard. Or else, simply, give him the title which isn't really good for the company. He prob wouldn't really be happy with the first option seeing as thats what happened to him in his initial run.

I'd book it as him returning to the WWE at Survivor Series. Have him appear on the brands as a free agent all 3 gms are trying to sign. Have him go with smackdown, and immediately being put into a fued with King Booker for the belt due to his debut appeal. The 2 face off at Armageddon and King Booker cheats to win. From here I'd book Ken Shamrock in a fued with Benoit culminating in a wrestlemania match. From there on who knows

Corkscrewed
10-20-2006, 08:00 AM
I like how it says Vince "saw the massive ratings" and that's why he's trying to re-sign him.

It pretty much shows that rather than try to come up with original and creative ideas for long term, he's trying to go after quick fixes again.

But then again, when your writers have no background in the field they're writing, you get shows that generally are less entertaining than C-Feds. :lol: :shifty:

Mr. Nerfect
10-21-2006, 05:01 AM
Ken Shamrock is someone I wouldn't mind seeing back. I doubt he'd set the world on fire, or anything, but he's a solid guy. He'd fit in so well on SmackDown!. I'd actually put him in the main event. It's not like he'd look out of place, plus he's held got the credentials to back it up. I'd actually play up his wrestling past rather than his MMA background. I wouldn't leave his shoot-fighting out compleyely, but let's just look at his accomplishments.

The guy won the 1998 King of the Ring, defeating The Rock. That alone should warrant a feud with King Booker, who won the 2006 King of the Ring by beating Bobby Lashley, and has blown his victory way out of proportion.

Shamrock has also held the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Granted, this was in TNA, but Shamrock is pretty old these days, people might think back to the territory days, rather than go to the competition looking for the league where he won his first, and only, World Championship. They recognise Ric Flair's NWA Titles, why not Shamrock's?

I also believe the guy held the Intercontinental Championship and World Tag Team Championship. This would make him an abstract Triple Crown Champion. Push him as such. A few matches with Finlay here, a few matches with William Regal and Dave Taylor there, and finally a shot at King Booker for the World Heavyweight Championship. After that you can probably exchange him for Chris Benoit, and have Ken Shamrock become a mainstay in the United States Title scene (assuming he doesn't catch on as well as Vince thinks).

Jeritron
10-21-2006, 05:32 AM
Alienoid, I thought this was your job...

I'd love to have him built through vignettes and make a Raw debut, but as I said before be a free agent leaving us wonder where hes gonna pick. Have him appear at ECW and Smackdown that week kind of taking the tour. Butting a few heads.
End Raw the next week with Shamrock handing Vince his contract for where hes staying, but leave it as a cliffhanger.
Assume Booker defends and retains at Cyber Sunday...Have him out in the ring cutting a promo about how hes at the top of the WWE fuedal system. A king among kings, a champion among champions. Have Booker high on his horse preaching how nobody in the smackdown locker room has been able to or will be able to dethrone him. King Booker says if anyone who sees fit to be called a King, come forth...cue Shamrocks music. Shamrock comes out and talks about how hes a King of the Ring before him, a King of fighting and the worlds most dangerous man, and he wants that belt. Booker Cheap shots him and runs throught the crowd but notices Sharmell is behind. Booker looks down the rampway and pleads to shamrock as does a frightened sharmell, but Shamrock snaps. Getting a hold of Queen Sharmells ankle, he looks to the crowd to see if he should do it and they cheer him accordingly. Before he sets it in, the refs run to the rescue but Shamrock goes house and belly to belly suplexes them all, Sharmell escapes to Booker and the two look down the rampway in fear and shock while Shamrock points to them and the belt.

The next week in Teddy Longs office Shamrock is being reprimanded for his actions. Teddy says hes happy to have Shamrock with SD! but he can't be doing stuff like this. He knows Shamrock wants a crack at the title, and he promised SD! would be a place where he would be able to earn that oppurtunity, but earn is the important part. He tells him that tonight on Smackdown he will make his Smackdown debut against Finlay. Shamrock has a great match with Finlay and goes over, declaring himself the next week to be #1 Contender. However, Teddy Long thinks differently. He books a #1 Contenders match for the next week against Undertaker. Batistas music hits. Batista complains that he hasnt gotten a clean match against booker and hes been screwed everytime. Teddy Long says he feels what hes sayin but he can't keep giving him all the oppurtunites so he gives him one last shot, and makes it a Triple Threat #1 contenders match next week for a title shot at Armageddon. Kennedy and Finlay attack the other 2 and Shamrock wins a title shot at Armageddon.
Batista is out of the title scene for the time being, but has a score to settle with the pain in his ass Finlay.
Undertaker sets his sights back to an annoying Kennedy
Shamrock fails to gain the title from Booker at Armageddon and the fued continues through the Rumble. From there Shamrock moves on to a fued with Benoit.