PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood (UK)

Anathema
10-26-2006, 12:16 PM
I dunno if anyone from the UK has seen this. Its the spin-off of Dr Who and was shown on BBC 3 the other day and they did a double bill on BBC 2 last night

Quite often spin-offs tend to be pretty disapointing because all the producers are doing is capitalising of the popularity of the original show to maximise profits to their full. (many examples out there such as the spin-off of 'Angel' to 'Buffy')

Watching Torchwood last night you could see this aspect quite clearly as nobody can argue with the popularity Dr Who has at the moment. (I read in the paper the other day that the experts believe Dr Who merchandise will be one of the top sellers for christmas)

Anyway back to the show. The idea behind Torchwood is that its a secret organisation that deals with time travelling aliens and other threats to the planet (there seems to be a bit of an X-Files appearance to the show and one of the lead charecters looks alot like Mulder) and it turns out that there is a space rift right in the centre of Cardiff (yeah another reason why Wales sucks :P) so they get alot of murderous aliens and stuff

But the best bit of the show was really its sexual content, which for the BBC is something you dont really associate it doing. The show had lesbian kissing, sex scenes, guys jacking off to CCTV camera footage of people having sex ect. A bit weird to say the least. Also the effects were really good and clear that this wasnt just a low budget spin-off like many shows. The BBC have actually tried really hard to make this show a hit and from the two episodes that were on last night it seems quite clear that this is going to be a really popular show. Torchwood on BBC 3 recieved the highest audiance for a digital audance ever (for a non-sport related show) about 4.6 million I think.

Also whats good about the show is its completly seperated itself from the Dr Who series and nothing was mentioned about it. Normally on a pilot episode they tend to refer back to the original show to set the scene. They actually started from scratch here

Anyway good show and I can see this series being a hit. CT2k if you never watched it last night try and catch the repeat because its definatly a series you will like!

Kane Knight
10-26-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm just hoping this gets picks up by Sci Fi.

El Vaquero de Infierno
10-26-2006, 12:24 PM
meh, it was ok.

The Destroyer
10-26-2006, 02:27 PM
The first episode was ok, the second one was better, but I'm still not entirely sold on it, personally.

And it's a bit late telling people to catch the repeat, since the repeat was last night on BBC 2.

Downunder
10-26-2006, 08:16 PM
I've downloaded the couple of trailers of demonoid, liked what little I saw. I'll have to up my d/l limit now to get the first two eps.

Mr. Monday Morning
10-28-2006, 07:49 AM
It was shit. Then again I hate Dr Who, as it is cheesy undercooked crap.

Oh, and for most of it's run Angel was better than Buffy.

Anathema
10-28-2006, 08:03 AM
I dunno, I can see it getting better. Plus it has a big fan base. Not sure how many series it will last though.

The Destroyer
10-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Well seeing as Captain Jack is apparently reappearing in the next series of Doctor Who, possibly not many.

And shut it Kirk, Dr Who is not crap. But Angel was better than Buffy for a while.

ct2k
10-28-2006, 09:22 AM
I didn't see it, and to be honest I've never been a big Dr Who fan (blasphemy in my house), stupid considering what a trekkie/wars fan I am but meh.

Also I prefered Angel to Buffy generally:-\

Kane Knight
10-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Well seeing as Captain Jack is apparently reappearing in the next series of Doctor Who, possibly not many.

What, you limeys don't have crossovers?

ct2k
10-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Man we got better crossovers than Tim Hardaway

Mr. Monday Morning
10-28-2006, 10:35 AM
And shut it Kirk, Dr Who is not crap

I might have figured you would like it :kiss:

:foc:

Kane Knight
10-28-2006, 11:52 AM
I didn't see it, and to be honest I've never been a big Dr Who fan (blasphemy in my house), stupid considering what a trekkie/wars fan I am but meh.

Also I prefered Angel to Buffy generally:-\

I've never gotten the Trek love. Especially TNG and DS9. The original series is decent when taken for what it is--A 60s series from the people who brought you "I love lucy."

Then again, I'm not particularly able to say I'm a huge Who fan...Considering before the new series, I'd not watched any.

Anathema
10-28-2006, 12:00 PM
yeah I was a massive DS9 fan. Star trek was one of the few shows that you could do almost limitless crossovers with! But in the end even they went one step too far with Enterprise. The fans just got tired :(

Kane Knight
10-28-2006, 12:15 PM
DS9 was more interesting than TNG, but considering how bland and uninsteresting that show was, that ain't saying much.,

The Destroyer
10-28-2006, 03:38 PM
What, you limeys don't have crossovers?
Yeah, but rumours suggest he's rejoining Doctor Who permanently.

Anathema
10-28-2006, 03:52 PM

lol, so its going to be a short lived two seasons show by the sound of it! :p

@knight: yeah DS9 was very limited on storylines, thats why in the end they came up with the Defiant so they could get off the station and the war to add something to it.

Kane Knight
10-28-2006, 04:05 PM
@knight: yeah DS9 was very limited on storylines, thats why in the end they stole the ideas originally pitched to them and ridiculed for impracticality when JMS came to them with Bab 5.

...Sorry, had to.

Kane Knight
10-28-2006, 04:09 PM

Hmmm...I haven't seen Torchwood yet, so I'm not sure how I feel about this. However, I'm liking the team of the Doctor, Rose, and Mick...Rick...Jesus, now they've even got me confused.

So, should Jack hook up with Mickey now?

Downunder
10-28-2006, 05:40 PM
I didn't hate it, I don't think it is ever going to compare to Dr Who, but then I think it is unfair to do that comparason. I'll keep watching it because I think it will get better.

Adam Kirk is as gay as Captian Jack and has been repped accordingly

The Destroyer
10-28-2006, 06:04 PM
lol, so its going to be a short lived two seasons show by the sound of it! :p
Well he's pretty much only confirmed to be in the series 3 finale of Doctor Who (which is at least 9 months off yet), but it would make sense for him to stick around since the whole reason he's with Torchwood is pretty much to track down the Doctor. And if the rumours of David Tennant leaving after the next series are true, then it would make even more more sense to have a familiar face stick around to see in yet another new Doctor.