PDA

View Full Version : lets take a moment to appreciate William Regal

The MAC
11-04-2006, 07:14 PM
this guy has become my 2nd fav (benoit's No1) smackdown wrestler. Watchng him wrestle Benoit was the pinnacle of no mercy. Its too bad he will probably never be champion.

Crippla
11-04-2006, 07:15 PM
:y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y::y: You have good taste.

Vastardikai
11-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Regal is officially the best current wrestler to never hold the World Title.

Mr. Nerfect
11-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah, Regal is the best guy to never hold a World Championship. It may sound insane, but I think you could expand that to being the best of all-time to never hold a World Title belt.

The guy's a brilliant wrestler, and an extremely entertaining personality. I wouldn't mind it if they gave him the United States Championship in the near-future, just to build to a World Title reign. Maybe have Chavo Guerrero cost Chris Benoit the match, and have Benoit vs. Guerrero become a non-title feud, whereas William Regal can defend the belt against guys like Paul Burchill and Vito. Maybe call it the "Commonwealth Championship" or something. There hasn't been a "heel re-names the regional championship" storyline done in professional wrestling for a while.

The Fugitive
11-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Regal's one of my top ten favorite wrestlers and I truly believe that he is overlooked and underrated by a lot of people. Man deserved a world title reign years ago, but what has WWE done with him? Either stuck him with retards and other Poms for tag teams or they've made him a joke backstage and in the ring... :n:

The MAC
11-05-2006, 05:00 AM
while Regal has been entertaining backstage he is so awesome in the ring. He is a technically refined worker. I would have loved to have seen Regal Vs Bret in an iron man match.What grates me is that they push guys who cant work over Regal

RP
11-05-2006, 05:28 AM
They could have used Regal in the Booker T role, but o well. I like Booker.

The MAC
11-05-2006, 11:38 AM
i agree, they should have let him win king of the ring at least I mean the guy has true talent.Regal is so artistic in the ring the commentators are left struggling to knock his heel character.

He is great with vignettes as well :The stuff he did with Eugene was funny as hell.

I would love to see Regal hand MVP his ass in the middle of the ring.

CLAP CLAP lets go regal! Clap Clap

Kane Knight
11-05-2006, 12:16 PM
While I do like him, and I think he can be fucking BRILLIANT, I don't see him as (Insert heavyweight or main title) hold period. Just being a good worker doesn't make you a shoe in for the title.

I can buy him as a midcard title holder, and even a contender for the ME title, but beyond that, I can't see it.

The Ravishing One
11-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Regal is officially the best current wrestler to never hold the World Title.

Pepsi Man
11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
i agree, they should have let him win king of the ring at least I mean the guy has true talent.Regal is so artistic in the ring the commentators are left struggling to knock his heel character.
To be honest, I wouldn't really consider this a good thing or evidence of a good wrestler. A good wrestler will constantly piss everyone off, leaving the announcers with plenty to bitch about when heel. See: Ric Flair, Triple H, etc.

Mr. Aristocrat
11-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Regal is fucking awesome. Best currently active talent to not win the World Title. I thought for sure the Brand Split was going to allow Regal to finally get the big one, but if anything, he has been misused since the Brand Split. Regal is aces though, and while he maybe doesn't fall in my top 5, he is a favorite of mine.

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2006, 03:27 PM
While I do like him, and I think he can be fucking BRILLIANT, I don't see him as (Insert heavyweight or main title) hold period. Just being a good worker doesn't make you a shoe in for the title.

I can buy him as a midcard title holder, and even a contender for the ME title, but beyond that, I can't see it.

I must say, the guy kind of reminds me of Bryan Danielson in terms of image. He's got the goods, but he just doesn't have the appearance of a World Champion Superstar. It's a shame, though, that they can't do something with him. I know it may only be a stop-gap solution, but they could always get him to die his hair black, or something. I know it's odd, but just small changes like that could really work to getting him over as more than the brilliant artistic worker that he is.

Maybe, and this isn't based on anything other than a possibility on how to give Regal that one World Championship run, they could have Regal jump to ECW? Apparently they want a guy to take the belt off Big Show that isn't Rob Van Dam, and Regal could do it easily. Just stick him in the Extreme Elimination Chamber, sneak in brass knuckles, send a few babyfaces down, and steal the ECW World Championship. I don't know how long he'd get to hold the belt for, but he's about as credible as Test would be. It'd be worth a shot.

Rammsteinmad
11-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I remember when Regal had that short feud with Triple H... I thought for sure that would put him in the main event. :(

Mr. Monday Morning
11-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I must say, the guy kind of reminds me of Bryan Danielson in terms of image.

Danielson patterned himself after Regal. Since he helped train him, and all.

Regal is one of those talents that just doesn't need a belt to be over and to be great at what he does. To say he's better than someone like Owen Hart is stretching it a bit though.

AdrianM
11-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Absolutly awesome!

In 2000-01, he was the most over heel in the WWE. He got amazing heat, and had some excellent feuds (with Chris Jericho, RVD, Edge). He also tagged well with Lance Storm and got Eugene over really well.

His life battle is also inspiring. I'd known that he had had drug problems before, but after reading his book, I was astonished at just how bad they were. And to look at him now, it is just brilliant.

As a worker, there are few better. His technical/brawling style, whilst i can imagine may be considered boring to some marks who don't understand the true complexities of a wrestling match, is awesome to me. His matches with Benoit, Jericho and others are simply brilliant to watch.

Regal also has exceptional charisma and mic work. He knows exactly how to make a crowd hate him, yet at the same time, can also have the crowd popping like mad.

Is truly one of the best workers I have ever seen

Rammsteinmad
11-06-2006, 08:46 AM
When Raw and Smackdown were filmed for the first time in the UK (October 2004) the crowd reaction he got when he come out was awesome! He was a face at the time too.

Dave Youell
11-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Regal is by far the best Actor in the WWE, his facials are incredible, he can switch from a heel to a face with ease and can make you believe it as well.

He will never be champ and that's a dam shame, but the guy will always be the one to make the man, rather than beat the man

Kane Knight
11-06-2006, 09:48 AM
I must say, the guy kind of reminds me of Bryan Danielson in terms of image. He's got the goods, but he just doesn't have the appearance of a World Champion Superstar. It's a shame, though, that they can't do something with him. I know it may only be a stop-gap solution, but they could always get him to die his hair black, or something. I know it's odd, but just small changes like that could really work to getting him over as more than the brilliant artistic worker that he is.

Maybe, and this isn't based on anything other than a possibility on how to give Regal that one World Championship run, they could have Regal jump to ECW? Apparently they want a guy to take the belt off Big Show that isn't Rob Van Dam, and Regal could do it easily. Just stick him in the Extreme Elimination Chamber, sneak in brass knuckles, send a few babyfaces down, and steal the ECW World Championship. I don't know how long he'd get to hold the belt for, but he's about as credible as Test would be. It'd be worth a shot.As ECW champion, he might be able to hold his own. The overall opinion of who can be an ECW champ is different, because ECW was never particularly about who was the biggest, or who had a specific look. Even in the new ECW, it's not all about Hosses, even with more an emphasis on WWE styled wrestling. Least, not yet.

Kane Knight
11-06-2006, 09:50 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't really consider this a good thing or evidence of a good wrestler. A good wrestler will constantly piss everyone off, leaving the announcers with plenty to bitch about when heel. See: Ric Flair, Triple H, etc.

Honestly, I think one way or another, it's more an indictment of the announce teams, rather than the wrestling talent.