PDA

View Full Version : Pierce Brosnan not doing the next Bond movie...

Vega
02-13-2004, 01:18 AM
http://www.commanderbond.net/Public/Stories/2264-1.shtml

Licence Revoked
Written by The CBn Team (11 Feb, 2004, 21:04)

As now reported in many news sources around the World (including: Chicago Sun Times & MKKBB), CBn can now confirm from its own sources close to the negotiations for Bond 21 that Pierce Brosnan will not be returning to the role of James Bond.

Brosnan had previously stated that he was good for five, perhaps six films, tying him with Sean Connery’s term with Eon. This no longer seems to be case.

Brosnan has stepped into the role of 007 four times (Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day). Each film he made did better in the global market than the previous one, with DAD being second only to Thunderball in adjusted total worldwide gross. Die Another Day also saw the theme song nominated for two Grammy Awards and featured an acadamy award winning actress (Halle Berry) as the main Bond girl.

However, Brosnan's term was not without controversy. Some fans felt that Bond had gone too far into the world gadgets and pop culture, while others complained about poor plots and dialogue. Brosnan himself was injured in each of the films he made, hurting his back in the final fight sequence of GE, having his face cut open in TND, getting burned in the back while filming TWINE, and most famously, hurting his knee while filming the hovercraft sequence in DAD.

Negotiations finalising Brosnan’s Bond 21 contract are said to have ceased, and the search for the next James Bond is well underway. Though no replacement has been found at this time, filming of Bond 21 is still reported to begin in early 2005. Eon Productions is said to be waiting to make an announcement until Brosnan’s successor is named.

But even when the sixth James Bond steps into the gunbarrel, for many Bond fans young and old, Pierce Brosnan’s tenure will cast a heavy shadow over those that follow for he succeeded in entertaining millions. CBn wish Mr. Brosnan all the best for the future, and all the best to the forthcoming Bond number six.

--------------------------------------------------------

So who do you want to see as the next Bond?

DaveWadding
02-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Even though he's super-Irish, Colin Farrell

Kristanna Vola
02-13-2004, 01:38 AM
Too bad Brosnan is done with the role, I liked him and Connery the most. Colin would great for the hot factor :)

Beyond that...I don't know.

Boondock Saint
02-13-2004, 04:14 AM
I'll still wait for an official statement. But if it is true, which wouldn't surprise me, that sucks. I thought he always wanted to do one more though. :-\ I remember hearing talks of Clive Owen or Hugh Jackman to take the role. Ehh...I'd prefer Clive to Hugh, only because he just seemes more the part, in some way I can't put my finger on, IMO.

Colin would be pretty cool too I guess.

Damn, Brosnan was second best after Connery. He will be hard to follow that's for damn sure.

The Destroyer
02-13-2004, 05:14 AM
Brosnan had often said he was doing 4 films, so I assume he's happy with what he's done. And to be fair, he was getting kind of old for it. Good Bond nonetheless though. Be interesting to see who replaces him.

Mr. Monday Morning
02-13-2004, 07:03 AM
The rumours I've read suggest they want to do a Bond that shows his origins as a young guy learning his trade. The name Ashton Kutcher refuses to go away also.

Seriously, if that happens someone needs to die a long and painful death.

The Destroyer
02-13-2004, 07:09 AM
The rumours I've read suggest they want to do a Bond that shows his origins as a young guy learning his trade. The name Ashton Kutcher refuses to go away also.

Seriously, if that happens someone needs to die a long and painful death.
:nono:

No Americans, thank you very much.

mitch_h
02-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Not a big Bond fan myself but I would like to see Jude Law play bond :-\

Arashi Kage
02-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Seriously, as a Bond fan, I would like to see an end to the Bond series. 20 films, the rich history of the series... what can I say? I never used to like Brosnan as Bond, but with age I've come to see him as a great Bond, especially his last two films.

I really do not think that there are any suitable replacements for Brosnan. There is no young actor with enough class or natural talent to play Bond. Besides, targetting a younger audience with a new young Bond may not appeal to a significant amount of fans. The Bond character is best as an actor around Brosnan's age because Bond should be an experienced, seasoned agent, the best in the business, not a young hot shot inexperienced guy.

Honestly, how many Bond films do we need? 30? 40? more than 50?? 20 is enough.

Roger Moore is awesome as Bond. :cool:

Jason Cage
02-13-2004, 12:09 PM
christian bale. thats final.

Kane Knight
02-13-2004, 12:13 PM
It's not a horrible thing.

I mean, if Brosnan had invented the role of Bond, this'd be a huge deal.

Rock Bottom
02-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Damn. I loved Brosnan in that role, tied with Connery. I can't think of anyone who'd own as much right now.

The Destroyer
02-13-2004, 02:32 PM
christian bale. thats final.
Playing Batman and Bond is a bit much...

loopydate
02-13-2004, 03:10 PM
I've heard Clive Owen doesn't want to do it, but he'd be INCREDIBLE as Bond.

Boondock Saint
02-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Well just read this over at Dark Horizons.

The rumours kept spreading throughout news media outlets yesterday about Pierce Brosnan departing the 007 franchise and suggestions from Aussies Hugh Jackman & Eric Bana to Brits Jude Law & Clive Owen cited as potential replacements. Now at last the talk has been quenched.

LatinoReview contacted MGM who confirmed the rumours are NOT TRUE, Brosnan is still very much 007. Further quenching the talk is an article in today's Variety which cites that Brosnan has just reupped his deal with MGM for his DreamTime production company, hardly a move of a company and star who have "bad blood" running between them.

Brosnan's deal is expected to include a sequel to his 1999 remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair", the action vehicle "Mexicali", and a fifth go as Bond in the next flick due out November 2005. Dreamtime is developing "The Matador" with Pierce outside of the lion studio but the company will remain based at their Santa Monica offices.

Tornado
02-13-2004, 04:09 PM
<font color=#33ffff>I've heard Orlando Blooms name mentioned for the role.

That would abslolutly ****ing suck.</font>

Innovator
02-13-2004, 04:52 PM
no, the fairy in LOTR is not gonna be Bond. Period.

G
02-13-2004, 05:30 PM
That sucks. I liked Pierce as Bond.

But of course, Connery was and is still THE man

Savio
02-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Whoopi Goldberg PERIOD!

Seyda
02-13-2004, 05:39 PM
If it's true that's a loss. Some people were just made for certain roles, or have the ability to replace popular actors and carry it off. It'll be interesting...

Of course Connery rules :D. He's one of the few that's great in any role he plays.