PDA

View Full Version : 2 games, 1 thread. Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation/Clubhouse Games

Funky Fly
11-07-2006, 03:58 AM
Whoooooo

Yeah, so I picked up a couple of games a couple of weeks back, and, if you can't read the the title, they're called Clubhouse Games and Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation. Of course, I don't know how you have any better a chance of understanding what I typed here if you can't understand the title. :shifty:

Right... so Clubhouse Games is a compilation of card games, board games and some other shits, totalling 42 games in 1 for the DS. It's pretty sweet, for the most part. You use the touch screen for everything (apparently, it's from Nintendo's Touch Generation series) and you only use the d-pad or buttons to scroll up and down thru the rules. Yeah, they have the complete rules for every game (and most games let you modify the rules too). They have board games like Battleship, chess, checkers, Chinese checkers, connect 4, etc, mostly under the original names and rules (copyrighted shits get the names changed to things like Grid Attack instead of Battleship and Connect 5 instead of 4).

They also have card games ranging from easy shits like Solitaire, Bullshit (I doubt It) and Old Maid to intermediate shits like Blackjack, Hearts and Last Card to the real shits like Texas Hold 'Em, 5 Card Draw Poker and Spades. They have action games like bowling, 9 ball and darts. They have some original shits like Soda Shake, as well as shit like Hangman and Dominoes. They even have Asian games like Mahjong, Koi-Koi and Hasami Shogi.

The gema has 3 single player modes, free play (self-explanatory), Stamp mode and Mission mode. Stamp mode involves playing to earn stamps (3 stamps for a win, 2 for 2nd place if applicable and 1 stamp for 3rd and 4th place). Collect stamps to unlock other games (I've only unlocked Ludo and 1 other game so far). Mission mode has you playing games with certin specific requirements to advance. You earn shit like new avatars and backgrounds and stuff from Mission mode.

Now multiplayer, though I have yet to try it is pretty sweet, seeing as you can play 2-8 players with or without all players having a copy of the game. Also, you can play online avec wifi. The lounge music they have for background music gets old really fast, but apparently, alternate music ca be unlocked. Pretty sweet overall, tho.

Gamespot rating: 8.0/10
Funky Fly rating: 8.4/10 (-1 for awful music)

-----------------------------------------

Yeah, so was debating wherther to make a separate thread for Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation, but I was like, "nah, fuck it". This is a turn based strategy shits (ie. like Fire Emblem) for the GBA (and thus the DS). Pretty sweet, IMO. K, it's not exactly like Fire Emblem at all, tbh. Apparently, the Super Robot Wars series (Japan-only, big surprise there) had licensing for characters from Gundam, Macross, and Mazinger Z (must have been pretty expensive). Anyway, this game sub-titled Original Generation, because all the mechs are original designs (but still kinda knockoffish). It's funny because I read the reviews for this, but I never really got into the whole giant mech games or animes, though the games were mainly due to lack of $$$.

Anyway, this shits is turn-based and un-like Fire Emblem, they do a decent job of keeping the surprise attacks (you know, when you've just about cleared a map and like 43567657896 more guys show up to ruin your shit when all your guys are low on hp or ammo?) a surprise. With Fire Emblem, it's always so predicatble based on conversations and positioning of enemies on the map, but with SRT, it happens at pretty weird times. Sometimes, they pull a surprise attack TWICE in the same mission (pretty awesome, but pretty gay too) or after you just about got raped by an uber mech that is 4568956747856 times better than all your guys combined. They also have branching paths, like Fire Emblem (ie. if you don't kill so and so or if you attack with a specific person, you can recruit allies and the like), tho not as much... so far, anyway.

As you'd expect, some of the mechs (most actually) have built in weapons (usually a gun or cannon of some kind) and unique attacks (these tend to be the more deadly moves in the game), but like 95% can be equipped with swappable weapons like swords (both the steel and light saber variety), handguns, shotguns, machine guns, missiles and what can only be described as laser death frisbies (seriously, they're really frisbies with lasers that kill you). Some mechs are practically Transformers too, changing into planes with different stats and weapons. There is this one mech, the Grungust, that can be both a plane (Wind Guster) and a tank (Gust Lander) and has like 4578 more attacks than any other mech and it can't even equip swappable weapons. Bitchin'. You can upgrade the stats on your mechs and weapons (even the unique attacks) using money earned from kills.

Oh yeah, pilots have their own stats, too. They increase through regular leveling up at ___ experience, though. The pilots also have different skills that passively affect their ability in battle. For instance, Gunfight improves damage and range with ranged attacks, Counter will occasionally let you attack first when it's your opponent's turn, Support will let that mech jump in and take a hit or follow up an attack for an adjacent teamate and Command will improve adjacent teamates' hit/evade rates. There's a bunch more and some of them, like Genius, are unique. The skill can be purchased/upgraded with pilot points (earned from kills) or earned/upgraded through leveling up.

Pilots also have spirit techniques. These are actively used in battle and can totally turn the course of a batlle around if you use them right. They cost spirit points, which replenish after each new map (or after each turn if you have the skill SP Regenerate). They can let you do things like heal, raise your hit rate to 100% for a turn, let you move farther than normal, do double damage, gain double money/exp., etc. Pilots also have will power, and have to raise it to certain levels to use more powerful weapons and attacks by succesfuly attacking.

The music is pretty good for the most part and most of your pilots have their own theme music when they attack or defend. The story itself kinda plays out like a 3rd rate anime (not bad, but kinda going nowhere at times). I'm only like 18 missions in, but according to the reviews, it's like 40+ hours long. Pretty sweet overall, thus far. Only 1 player, tho.

Gamespot rating: 8.3/10
Funky Fly rating: 9.0/10 (yeah, I really like it)

P.S. Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2 comes out in like 10 days. :love:

Funky Fly
11-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Oh yeah, SRT:OG has 2 main characters, so there is a shit-tonne of replaybility.

UmbrellaCorporation
11-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Seriously gonna have to pick up SRT:OG. :love:

Dorkchop
11-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Clubhouse Games is ok. They could have made the game more visually pleasing. Better menus and such would have made the game more enjoyable for me. They should release a sequel to this in a year or so and give it a new look.

Overall I'd give it a 7. Finding people randomly to wifi takes a while. Arg.

Funky Fly
11-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah, haven't tried the Wifi, shits. The layout could have been better, but an elaborate layout isn't really necessary for what it is.

Also, I forgot t mention with SRT:OG that the mechs, and the pilots and the attacks have different levels of ability in different environments (air, ground, water and space).

Kane Knight
11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Clubhouse games is horribly overrated, but it's still fun. Couldn't see it as more than a 6.0.

SRT...Isn't that the series that uses Tekkaman Blade as one of the available characters?

Funky Fly
11-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Possibly. Since all the previous Super Robot Taisen/Wars games are mostly Japan only, I have no clue. But like I said in the first post, they have licenses from a bunch of different anime/mangas.

There's a Japan only fighting game coming out that also does the crossover thing. Battle Stadium D.O.N. apparently has Dragon Ball, One Piece and Naruto characters licensed. I'm sure the game would be bitching if they released it here and the translated versions of One Piece and Naruto hadn't been so badly butchered and voiced. :'(

Kane Knight
11-08-2006, 09:40 AM
I checked last night. It is the one that has featured Blade a couple of times. Bitchin'. Though apparently not in this game. Curses.

Funky Fly
11-08-2006, 03:57 PM
This particular game is original characters only, yeah.

Kane Knight
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I gathered from the OG stuff. Still, I'd love to see Blade in a US game...