PDA

View Full Version : mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister

mitchables
11-08-2006, 09:30 AM
In my experience, there are two types of Christian musicians. The first kind is horribly preachy and annoying. Look no further than flash-in-the-pan pop sensation Joan Osborne and her provocative and thoughtful song about potential events if God was a human. The second kind manage to allude to their faith - lyrically and instrumentally - in a way that nonbelievers can enjoy and even respect. A prime example of this kind of musician is mewithoutYou.

If you haven't heard mewithoutYou, it's unfortunately a little hard to describe. Not quite indie or folk or rock or Christian, but a megablend of all of those and then some. Vocalist Aaron Weiss doesn't sing so much as dramatically read his way through their songs. He is probably one of my favourite lyricists, by the way. Ridiculously good skills. It makes for a bit of a different experience when you listen for the first time, but when you learn to love it, it rocks. The band has really driven instrumentalism too. Rolling bass, energetic guitars... so good. :heart: This CD makes excellent use of choral vocals in the background too, especially in Wolf am I! (and Shadow). And I am a sucker for good choral vocals.

Anyway. The point is, this album is excellent. I was going to write a big review but it's pretty late and the point is I really like this CD. If I had to suggest a top 5 from the CD:

Messes of Men
Wolf am I! (and Shadow)
The Dryness and the Rain
Nice and Blue, Part 2
O, Porcupine

Honorable mention to A Glass Can Only Spill What it Contains.

O, Porcupine has Jeremy Enigk from Sunny Day Real Estate on it :love:.

Try it out. It's a bit different but it is goooooooooood. :naughty:

Blitz
11-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Yet another album I have downloaded but have yet to listen to :'(

FakeLaser
11-08-2006, 06:44 PM
He has a very different vocal style than anything I have heard. He doesn't scream really, he basically just yells. That's the best way I can describe it.

mitchables
11-08-2006, 07:23 PM
I love it.

mitchables
11-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Yet another album I have downloaded but have yet to listen to :'(

Snap to it, sonny Jim. You will not regret it. :(

FakeLaser
11-08-2006, 07:38 PM
It's interesting. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it's just ridiculous. I find myself enjoying a lot of their stuff though. They seem to be one of the more talented bands out there in "the scene."

I haven't heard this album yet, though I have heard nothing but good things. I'll check it out.

mitchables
11-08-2006, 07:45 PM
He varies himself more on this CD than previously. Dabbles in a bit of singing, a bit of plain speaking and whatnot. It helps make the yelling seem a little more powerful, in a way.

FakeLaser
11-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Sounds like an improvement then.

mitchables
11-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Get it. :'(

FakeLaser
11-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Also, Jeremy Enigk :drool:

mitchables
11-09-2006, 06:00 PM
He sounds incredible on this CD. He is only in the one song, but goddamnnnnnn his voice is excellent. :love: