PDA

View Full Version : So I just watched an old RAW from 1998

Avenger
11-08-2006, 10:04 AM
yeah I downloaded a few of the old RAWs. Gonna' try and get through a lot of the old ones again, but I noticed a few things -

the old RAW is WAR set with the huge Tron was awesome
why do we never hear "the following contest is scheduled for one fall with a 20 minute time limit" or "the following conest is scheduled for one fall with TV time remaining". I used to love shit like that.
DX with HBK, BA Billy Gunn, Road Dogg, X-Pac and Chyna were the shit. They fucking ruled and really looked like they were having fun out there.
The old Rock was such a bad ass champ.
Triple H was so much smaller in 1998.
Billy Gunn had so much potential, he was awesome in the ring and had the look to main event. Where did it all go wrong? (Billy and Chuck, probably)
Gerald Brisco and Pat Patterson were :rofl: funny.
Vince has aged pretty bad.
remember when the Brood did that blood bath shit? Lol.
Owen Hart and Jeff Jarrett were brilliant together. Should've had a longer run :( RIP Owen. (Jeff still rules :love: )
The Corporation were greatness.Anyway yeah. Raw was so much more fast-paced, with better matches and more exciting storylines. There was a proper twist in most storylines each week that got you pumped for the next week's episode, unlike these days where it is the same thing every week building up to the PPV which inevitably sucks. Back in the day it was like building up to next week's episode. It doesn't have to be anything big, but stop resolving shit at the end of RAW every week, like DX just flushes Bischoff's face down some guy's ass and that is probably the end of the Bischoff/DX thing. There are so many directions WWE could have gone with that. Like I said it doesn't have to be anything big, but leave the ending of RAW open, leave us going :eek: and maybe more people will tune in the next week. Remember when eight million people used to tune in every week?

Testicle
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Yes, i agree we need the old tron back and as far as Raw being slower, you're right, sadly thats the direction wrestling has taken, where a wrestler does a back drop and a suplex and 25 clotheslines and its considered a great match nowadays

people had higher expectations and the wwe had better competition than tna
if this was 1998 we would be saying cm punk sucks ass, thats just the way it was

Avenger
11-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Why would we say CM Punk sucks? :wtf:

Destor
11-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Why do you reek of Crippla sock t4c?

Testicle
11-08-2006, 10:14 AM
because back then we were watching great wrestling every week, whereas now shelton does a flip or cm punk does a kick and we crap our pants

Destor
11-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Shelton does a flip? How often does that happen, Shelton gets his praise for his technical ability. Punk does a kick and we mark out? Are you serious? Punk has loads of charisma and good psychology. I think you are confusing the WWE audience for the TNA audience.

Testicle
11-08-2006, 10:21 AM
you're right about that, I am just not that impressed with punk

lets not get off topic though, Raw has deffinitly slowed

Destor
11-08-2006, 10:22 AM
No lies there...

Avenger
11-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Why do you reek of Crippla sock t4c?lol I knew something wasn't quite right

Anyway BACK ON TOPIC PLZ

Londoner
11-08-2006, 11:48 AM
I wish I could watch some old Raws, only got one old raw which i'm sick of watching, but it's still far better than the shit we get today. Even just the music got you hyped up to watch Raw.

It would be so much better if the rosters were rejoined imo. Just look at how it was 'back in the day' for proof of this, at the very least we wouldn't have to wait a whole week to see how a storyline continues/ends.

Dorkchop
11-08-2006, 12:05 PM
I wish I could watch some old Raws, only got one old raw which i'm sick of watching, but it's still far better than the shit we get today. Even just the music got you hyped up to watch Raw.

It would be so much better if the rosters were rejoined imo. Just look at how it was 'back in the day' for proof of this, at the very least we wouldn't have to wait a whole week to see how a storyline continues/ends.

I actually like having to wait a week for storylines and feuds to continue/end. There haven't really been any good feuds lately, but when I was into one, I liked having to wait to see what'll happen next. It can allow for a good feud to last twice as long.

Then again, sometimes I do like having two shows a week for one big roster. Some feuds and storylines are sooo bad I just want them over as quickly as possible.

Londoner
11-08-2006, 12:11 PM
I actually like having to wait a week for storylines and feuds to continue/end. There haven't really been any good feuds lately, but when I was into one, I liked having to wait to see what'll happen next. It can allow for a good feud to last twice as long.

Then again, sometimes I do like having two shows a week for one big roster. Some feuds and storylines are sooo bad I just want them over as quickly as possible.

Fair enough if you like having to wait, but it takes the tension out of the feuds cause we have to wait so long for them to continue I think.

Stickman
11-08-2006, 12:45 PM
They should come out with Raw Seasons DVD. EVery other TV show has season 1, 2, 3 ect on DVD. They could find a way.

FourFifty
11-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Stop saying good things about Billy Gunn.

Mr. Aristocrat
11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
They should come out with Raw Seasons DVD. EVery other TV show has season 1, 2, 3 ect on DVD. They could find a way.

Average television season: 24 episodes of 22 minutes
RAW television season: 52 episodes of and hour & 28 minutes

That is one big ass box the season comes in...

FourFifty
11-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Not the early seasons of Raw. They had to take a few weeks off for the dog shows on USA.

Avenger
11-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Stop saying good things about Billy Gunn.WTF? #1 who are you?, #2 I can say what I want, #3 why?

RVDmark
11-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Average television season: 24 episodes of 22 minutes
RAW television season: 52 episodes of and hour & 28 minutes

That is one big ass box the season comes in...

Enter Blue Ray Discs....

RVDmark
11-08-2006, 03:34 PM
And yeah I watched a 1998 Raw the other month and its taken 2 months to get over hating modern Raw as much. And TBH its not as if they even look like they are trying anymore.

D Mac
11-08-2006, 03:38 PM
I've been downloading some old WCW Nitros. Have the ones where Scott Hall first came in and the NWO was being born.

Chavo Classic
11-08-2006, 04:06 PM
http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33830

good read :y:

Crippla
11-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I miss WWE 1998-2000. Where did you download this from?

M-A-G
11-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Ah, yeah, those were the days; Austin stunning whoever just happened to be in the ring, HHH and Shawn getting loads of airtime being D-X, Hogan still showing up, short matches and weird angles, T n A....wait, we ARE talking about 1998, right?

Crippla
11-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Why do you reek of Crippla sock t4c?
Oh come on, that didn't even resemble me.

Destor
11-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Are you kidding? It's like you didn't even try to hide it. He echoed what the original poster said and then followed it up with popular opinion. That is ALL you do.

Crippla
11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
It's not even me and at least I explain my opinions. If you read my posts, you would know that I like CM Punk and shit like that.

Destor
11-08-2006, 04:37 PM
If I made a sock I would make him hate the things I love...

Crippla
11-08-2006, 04:38 PM
It's not me, I don't have socks anymore. Ask the mod to do an IP check.

Avenger
11-08-2006, 10:21 PM
I miss WWE 1998-2000. Where did you download this from?I am not telling you. Plus I will tell the moderators of this site not to let your IP join.It's not even me and at least I explain my opinions. If you read my posts, you would know that I like CM Punk and shit like that.However, I do believe this. I know when Crippla is being a sock and this is not one of these times.

PullMyFinger
11-13-2006, 03:22 PM
WWE back then....so much creativity, so great....wrestling back then was certainly something else.

Extreme Angle
11-13-2006, 03:28 PM
where do you download your rawS?

The Ravishing One
11-13-2006, 03:36 PM
DX with HBK, BA Billy Gunn, Road Dogg, X-Pac and Chyna were the shit. They fucking ruled and really looked like they were having fun out there.

:wtf:

HBK got the boot before the new guys came in.

Joey Slugs
11-13-2006, 04:15 PM
the reason wwf was better back then?

wcw.

The Ravishing One
11-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Very true.

Crippla
11-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that's why everyone wants TNA to become legit competition.

Stickman
11-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah, that's why everyone wants TNA to become legit competition.

I dont', TNA is terrible.

Crippla
11-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah but it would give Vince a reason not to be lazy and push his creative team to make the product better if he had legit competition.

Testicle
11-13-2006, 07:05 PM
i dont know man,

even if tna became legit, i think vince would still put out the same old shit,

he has turned into wcw and doesn't even realize it