PDA

View Full Version : sports and politics.

Adder
02-13-2004, 10:40 AM
In a recent olympic qualifying match in soccer between the USA and Mexico the crowd (game played in Guadalajara Mexico) first booed the Star Spangled Banner, then later during the game, chants of "Osama, Osama" were yelled.

Mexico won 4-0, thus eliminating The United States from the Athens olympics.

Danny Electric
02-13-2004, 10:43 AM
:D
It's a game of football, what more do you expect.

Cactus Sid
02-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Sport and Politics has always gone together, look at England/Germany and England/Argentina just for a couple of examples.

You can never eliminate this kind of chanting etc.... because its nationalism, football has always been looked at as the sport of the lower-classes, and as a result its a rough game, which results in this kind of behaviour

The Outlaw
02-13-2004, 02:05 PM
That's pretty pathetic IMO.

road doggy dogg
02-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Yeah stuff like that is pretty retarded.

Two years ago (give or take a year, my memory is shit :o) when the Red Wings were playing the Canucks in the playoffs, I remember that during one of the games in Detroit the fans booed the Canadian national anthem. Mind you, this was the day after the US bombed and killed the 4 Canadian troops in Afghanistan, the first Canadian casualties in a war since WW2. How the Americans get off on booing the Canadians is TOTALLY beyond me, and it actually disgusted me. The following game in Vancouver though, when they played the US anthem, everybody in the arena was cheering wildly for it. That was f</>ucking amazing.

I really hate when people do stupid shit like that. If you want to make some sort of retarded political message, do it during some idiot's political speech or something, not at a sports event. I hate watching a sports game to see some boneheads booing at a player because of whatever country they may be from or something, it's just so pointless and petty.

BCWWF
02-13-2004, 03:51 PM
The US promoted the USA vs. Iran game in France 98 by using the political differences of the past, if anyone wanted to know :meh:

The Outlaw
02-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Yeah stuff like that is pretty retarded.

Two years ago (give or take a year, my memory is shit :o) when the Red Wings were playing the Canucks in the playoffs, I remember that during one of the games in Detroit the fans booed the Canadian national anthem. Mind you, this was the day after the US bombed and killed the 4 Canadian troops in Afghanistan, the first Canadian casualties in a war since WW2. How the Americans get off on booing the Canadians is TOTALLY beyond me, and it actually disgusted me. The following game in Vancouver though, when they played the US anthem, everybody in the arena was cheering wildly for it. That was f</>ucking amazing.

I really hate when people do stupid shit like that. If you want to make some sort of retarded political message, do it during some idiot's political speech or something, not at a sports event. I hate watching a sports game to see some boneheads booing at a player because of whatever country they may be from or something, it's just so pointless and petty.

Yeah, I agree.

I remember that actually.

I threw my shoe at the TV. :o

The Mask
02-13-2004, 08:01 PM
shit, that's nothing, you still get people making munich chants at old trafford nearly 50 years after the fact.

Dazz
02-13-2004, 08:08 PM
shit, that's nothing, you still get people making munich chants at old trafford nearly 50 years after the fact.
Yeah even when I was getting the train home from the United Vs Chelsea game last year, (you wont be suprised to hear that half the carrage was United fans going to London), some of the Chelsea fans started singing songs, and then the United fans did, and there was abit of banter, then by the end of the journey, the Chelsea fans started singing the Sir Matt Busby one. and then United started singing a Matthew Harding one. You still hear that Busby and his boys song no matter what the occasion.

And as for booing national anthems, you should watch European football (soccer) matches more, anthems are always being booed.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-14-2004, 12:30 AM
I remember a few people turning their back to the flag during the National Anthem before a high school sporting event, I think that is a bunch of shit personally.

Ok so you don't agree 100% with everything that is going on but give me a break.

Little over dramatic attention whoring pussies

Gertner
02-14-2004, 12:35 AM
i'm just glad the u.s lost

Adder
02-14-2004, 11:07 AM
I remember a few people turning their back to the flag during the National Anthem before a high school sporting event, I think that is a bunch of shit personally.

Ok so you don't agree 100% with everything that is going on but give me a break.

Little over dramatic attention whoring pussies

Give you a break?

The Outlaw
02-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Give you a break?

Ala don't turn your back on the flag and be a drama queen.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Ala don't turn your back on the flag and be a drama queen.Exactly

"Give me a break" - "Lets get serious" I ment it something like that not exactly sure what you (Adder) where thinking "Give me a break" ment

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 06:34 PM
It sounds like someone who turns their back on their own flag in their own country is being serious.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-14-2004, 07:27 PM
ahh nevermind, it was just a "figure of speach" I guess

I think turning your back on your own countrys flag is bullshit, personally. I think the flag represents more then just the government, but whatever if those certain people want to look like over dramatic bitches then can go ahead and do it.

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Well it's certainly your right to percieve them as being over dramatic bitches, I'd say it's something completely different however.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-14-2004, 07:31 PM
What would you say then

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Principled, brave.

What, for example do you think the consequences of their actions, turning their back on their flag in their own country, would be? Beat up outside? Booed? Drinks thrown at them? All the above and perhaps more?

It's not easy, no matter what the "cause" to stand up for it, when it's against the majority.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-15-2004, 01:45 AM
You can do a lot of stuff to be "brave" but these "brave" acts can just be shithead moves.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-15-2004, 01:47 AM
Also, what does turning back towards the American flag really symbolize?

Being againest war? So the American Flag just represents war now, yeah sweet

YOUR Hero
02-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Like I said, you're welcome to percieve things anyway you want.

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 03:17 PM
As for the Hockey anthem situation... I could have sworn Canada boo'd the american anthem first, and it was right after the Canadian troops got killed by "friendly fire".

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Yea I thought it was the other way around too, but I dunno I just remember both anthems getting boo'd which is pretty weak

BCWWF
02-22-2004, 08:37 PM
I just saw this thread and remembered something I saw on the news a few days ago.

I guess Jews are getting worried now because anti-semitism is increasing in Europe, and the example they showed was an indoor soccer game (futsol or something) between Belgium and Israel, and the Belgium fans were chanting "Gas the Jews," so the game was cancelled and the Israili team left the field.

Compared to all that other booing national anthem shit, this is by far the worst display of that type of stuff that I have ever seen. Damnit that is so lame.