PDA

View Full Version : Does a wrestlers theme give him a better chance of winning their major title.

Splaya
11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
When I say Major title, I mean like the WWE championship, or the TNA HeavyWeight title.

Like I always had a theory that when you end a ppv with a challenger winning the title, you want a music you would hear in your head for awhile. With that said, someone like Edge or Orton or Jeff Hardy, or HHH or HBK you could easily hear them ending a ppv with a win with the title with their theme. But let's say someone like Gergory Helms wins the title or Val Venis. I would not want to hear their theme after winning a major title.

Something to discuss I guess.

ron the dial
11-21-2006, 03:27 PM
I would certainly like to hope not.

Pepsi Man
11-21-2006, 03:36 PM
What...the fuck?

Splaya
11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
It's just a theory I once had.

Jesus, does everything out of your mouth have to be negative

UmbrellaCorporation
11-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Nah, I like that theory actually.

I enjoyed Rob Conway's gimmick a while back, but could anyone honestly take someone with that "Just look at me...ain't I a sight to SEE?", raspy voice blaring through the arena seriously at all? Not that too many people took him seriously anyway, but still. My point stands.

Pepsi Man
11-21-2006, 04:17 PM
It's just a theory I once had.

Jesus, does everything out of your mouth have to be negative
I'm just not understanding, like...at all. Especially with the examples given. I don't understand how Gregory Helms's theme < Jeff Hardy's. I also don't understand why they wouldn't just give the wrestler a different entrance theme.

What Would Kevin Do?
11-21-2006, 04:53 PM
I'd say to some extent, yes.

Simply because a better theme will get a better reaction. A better reaction will get noticed. A person who gets a good reaction, in theory, is likely to in a title.

The One
11-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't know that is increases the odds they win the title, but they might keep the title longer. Like you said, as the show is going off the air, you want a semi-fast paced music that keeps a certain energy and allows the fans to leave with a vision in their head. One of the only reasons I don't like Big Show's reign has been that his music isn't good for setting an aftertaste mood. But I see what your saying and I find it to be very possible, if not intentionally, than even just through happen stance.

Disturbed316
11-21-2006, 05:42 PM
lol the TNA title is not a major title.

Lord-Of-Darkness
11-21-2006, 05:59 PM
I see the point, and something leads me to beleive this is part of the reason they changed Mankinds theme directly after winning the title. They tried to make it better leading up to the title reign by adding a beat to his old theme, but it didn't give that 'feel' that you're talking about

AdrianM
11-21-2006, 06:17 PM
personally i really like gregory helm's theme, btw

DominateR
11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
personally i really like gregory helm's theme, btw

It was better before the voiceover was added in there. Now it just sounds like he's being a Mr. Kennedy wannabe (not that he is, of course...)

Lord-Of-Darkness
11-21-2006, 07:16 PM
I haven't heard it with the VO, what does it say?

M-A-G
11-21-2006, 07:18 PM
You can usually tell how far a person's going to go based on his entrance and amount of production values and marketing pumped into his character.

Testicle
11-21-2006, 08:04 PM
there are very few situation where a gimick or theme alone will make a wrestler(ultimate warrior is the only one i can think of now)

but i see your point, it is definitely easier to get to the top if your entrance is cool

Londoner
11-21-2006, 09:10 PM
I'd say to some extent, yes.

Simply because a better theme will get a better reaction. A better reaction will get noticed. A person who gets a good reaction, in theory, is likely to in a title.

Yeah taha's what i'm thinking. It's like, some themes some wrestlers use you just can't see hem using in the main event. If you think about it, main event wrestlers themes are usually more dramatic than mid carders. Look at the difference between HHH's and Carlito's themes for example, the theory sort of makes sense. I can't see Carlito winning the title with that theme. Just try to imagine it at the ending of a PPV, and you'll see what I mean.

V
11-21-2006, 11:12 PM
a lot of wrestlers change their music like a day before they win the title

(Cena at Wrestlemania 21, Taker when he beat hogan for the undisputed, etc..)

The Genius
11-21-2006, 11:19 PM
i loved gregory helms theme, but not so sure now if he does a voice over it.
anyone have his current theme uploaded so we can hear it?

Pepsi Man
11-21-2006, 11:57 PM
i loved gregory helms theme, but not so sure now if he does a voice over it.
anyone have his current theme uploaded so we can hear it?
It just features him saying "Gregory Helms" at the beginning. To me, it's no different than Booker T's, "Can you dig it, sucka?!", or Ric Flair's "Woooooooooooooo!"

Ben Rodrigues
11-22-2006, 06:25 AM
Did Christian's WWE theme play a factor in his sudden burst of popularity toward the end of his run?

What Would Kevin Do?
11-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Did Christian's WWE theme play a factor in his sudden burst of popularity toward the end of his run?

I'd argue amongst his own charisma, yes... However, I think it started back when he first split from Edge and had that badass Opera theme.

A totally different question.. Does anyone else besides me really not like PUnk's music?

Ben Rodrigues
11-22-2006, 07:12 AM
I prefer the AFI theme he used all over the indy scene and in OVW.

TerranRich
11-22-2006, 10:51 AM
I think the theme does make the wrestler, yes, but doesn't really have anything to do with title wins. It works like this...if Val Venis were to be pushed to main event (using your example), they would eventually change his music to something that fits a more serious character. This theme would then also be more serious. Therefore, it's not the theme that gave him the title win, but in fact just the opposite: being pushed gave him a better theme.

Can you think of a WWE Title holder that had a silly/comical theme at the time of their title win? King Booker's theme is probably the closest one actually.

Splaya
11-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Yeah but his theme right now fits his gimmick. I really shouldn't have said win the title, I should have said gets them pushed more