PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Straight Edge: Destined for Greatness (spoilers)

Fox
11-28-2006, 12:02 AM
So, despite how utterly shitty the Survivor Series PPV was last night, one very notable moment was the arrival of CM Punk on Team DX.

While Hunter and Michaels were doing their little "Are you ready?" warm up routine, the fans started chanting "CM Punk" louder than anything else. Triple H, looking very much like the son-in-law of the WWE Chairman, threw an arm around Punk in what had to be an impromptu bit, and told the fans that CM Punk has a question for them: "are you ready?" he said, with his trademark smirk.

This kid has a future in the WWE. If Vince, Hunter and Steph didn't take notice of this huge pop, then they can seriously fuck off and kill themselves.

CM Punk was easily the most over wrestler on the card last night.

So awesome.

Afterlife
11-28-2006, 12:27 AM
But who's your favorite wrestler?

Caged Heat18
11-28-2006, 12:38 AM
It's nice to see Punk being so over. I have liked his push so far, I just don't want them to jump the gun, and give him the title too soon.

Shadow
11-28-2006, 01:00 AM
CM Punk's about to be buried.

Dorkchop
11-28-2006, 01:04 AM
I agree that I don't want him getting a title or main event push too soon. But I also don't want him to get it too late. I like how right now you see him and think "Wow, in a couple of years he could be main eventing Wrestlemania or Summerslam."

There's no questioning that he's over. Hopefully Vince and the WWE don't give him the Christian treatment and ignore the pops and fans.

Mr. Nerfect
11-28-2006, 01:42 AM
CM Punk was the star of last night's show, and they can't ignore this. CM Punk is money, and the WWE would benefit from keeping him consistent, which I what I think will happen.

Jeritron
11-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Yes, having him win the title too soon will not help him. Lately they've rushed into making new stars champions (ie Orton)

I think he should lose in the elimination chamber, but not cleanly. How about he eliminates the first two participants, and an irate heel comes back in and tears him apart costing him the match midway through. This could result in a fued. Then I think he should become a secondary champion along the line, perhaps the TV champion at wrestlemania.
I dont think his first title win being the ECW title would be good for him. Its the Cshow and I think it would waste his moment. If he dominated as a TV champion and then jumped ship to Raw and became a dominant IC champion, he could then segway into the main event and be put over by guys like Shawn and HHH.

CM Punks development:
December: Is cost the elimination chamber by a heel.
Early 2007: Fueds with him
WM23: Goes over RVD or someone, and around this time becomes first new TV champion
Summer: Runs with the title for a long time.
Fall: Jumps brands
Winter: IC title run
Royal Rumble 08: wins rumble
WM24: wins wwe title

Rammsteinmad
11-28-2006, 02:49 AM
Looks good.

I was thinking this to myself last night when I was reading the SS thread/results.

All this stuff about Cena, Orton and Batista being "the future" of the WWE... CM Punk... THERE'S your future! :y:

Kane Knight
11-28-2006, 08:38 AM

YAY!

owenbrown
11-28-2006, 08:50 AM

addy2hotty
11-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Since when did a good crowd reaction signify 'the next star'?

Ref: Christian/Carlito/Rob Van Dam

Disturbed316
11-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Yeah, as much as I like Punk, I feel he is going to go down the RVD career path.

Jaton
11-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Since when did a good crowd reaction signify 'the next star'?

Ref: Christian/Carlito/Rob Van Dam

You're wrong on all three counts. Christian was hit by the glass ceiling, and you can't deny that. He really could have been a big star. Carlito still has time, despite what you may believe.

And RVD? I guess the fact that he's been getting huge pops ever since his arrival in WWE, and that Vince had enough faith in his star power to put the WWE title AND ECW title on him..at the same time, no less..means nothing to you? It's his fault he screwed up that.

Kane Knight
11-28-2006, 10:47 AM
RVD was misused back when he was still actually worth a damn. He's stale now. Yes, they gave him a run...When trying to establish ECW...While he was effectively over the hill.

Also, you just essentially reaffirmed one count, but said all three were wrong.

addy2hotty
11-28-2006, 11:24 AM
You're wrong on all three counts. Christian was hit by the glass ceiling, and you can't deny that. He really could have been a big star. Carlito still has time, despite what you may believe.

And RVD? I guess the fact that he's been getting huge pops ever since his arrival in WWE, and that Vince had enough faith in his star power to put the WWE title AND ECW title on him..at the same time, no less..means nothing to you? It's his fault he screwed up that.

The funny thing is Jaton, is when RVD got to run with both ECW and WWE titles, he wasn't particularly over with the crowd. When he was super-over, back in the Invasion days, when he was out-popping Austin while in the ring with him (the Punk thing at SS reminded me of that actually), he got buried.

Christian was getting huge pops - even in England (I know as I was there) to the extent of altering the crowd noise so it seemed like he wasn't, he got a HUGE reaction during his in-ring interview with McMahon, glass ceiling my arse - result, Buried.

Carlito was, a few weeks ago, getting huge pops despite the fact that he's been woefully underused. Now, he's getting buried with 2 minutes of screen time a week and a pointless rehash of an angle with Masters.

Mercury Bullet
11-28-2006, 11:51 AM
I am worried that Punk will be buried also, honestly the most important thing for him to do is learn to play the backstage politics well enough to stay in the good graces of those who matter. Theres no doubt he is hugely (is that a word?) over right now WITHOUT having hardly done anything. (Honestly, what has he done of any significance?)

I agree with the idea of NOT to rush him to the main event but here's where I think I might have a little different opinion...main eventing ECW is not main eventing Raw or Smackdown and the ECW World Title is more on par with the IC or US titles. It is NOT too early to put the ECW belt on him, even make him dominate and run with the belt quite a while. Dominance in ECW would be a good lift and push for moving him up the ladder in the future. Nobody under an ECW banner is going to be main eventing Wrestlemania or anything and I think putting him in the upper tier of ECW is a nice step in eventually moving him the the upper tier of the WWE and being "the guy" in 3 or 4 years.

Savio
11-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I disagree He should win it at mania.

St. Jimmy
11-28-2006, 12:19 PM
If by greatness you mean Jobbing, then I totally agree with you.

ron the dial
11-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Punk has the potential to be a major player in the WWE. His crowd reactions rival, if not outdo, most of the roster, and he hasn't done shit besides feud with Mike Knox. Sure, WWE can still job him out and bury him, but why would they? The crowd obviously appreciates what he's doing. When a star lands in your lap it makes sense to take advantage.

addy2hotty
11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
When a star lands in the WWE's lap it makes sense to bury them if they become more over than your 'marketable' stars.

St. Jimmy
11-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Also, why is this thread not about Skippord? Skippord > Punk.

Kane Knight
11-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Punk has the potential to be a major player in the WWE. His crowd reactions rival, if not outdo, most of the roster, and he hasn't done shit besides feud with Mike Knox. Sure, WWE can still job him out and bury him, but why would they? The crowd obviously appreciates what he's doing. When a star lands in your lap it makes sense to take advantage.

Why would they bury RVD, who was getting better pops than Austin when he came to WWE?

Why would they bury Christian, when he was easily the most over guy on either roster, and outpopping Cena?

Just why would they bury someone who's majorly over?

Kane Knight
11-28-2006, 01:45 PM

KK agrees.

Henceforth, this thread is about emoskippord, and anyone who does not address him shall be banned.

RGWhat316
11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
It's taken a little time, but I like what I've seen out of Punk so far. I got a couple friends that are huge Punk marks, mainly due to his ROH stuff, and constantly brag about him. But I wanted to see what he could do in ECW before I officially decided. Even though I would like to see him pull out the Pepsi Plunge, maybe on a ppv.

But as much as I like RVD, Punk maybe headed down his path. Punk getting a bigger pop than DX on Sunday, and HHH immediately noticing it, makes me think that he will be on the RVD path. I'd hate to see that happen, but it could.

The one thing that Punk has got going for him is that he is close to being a "homegrown" talent. Vince likely doesn't consider ROH competition. And I doubt most of ROH's fanbase watches WWE. So it's hard to say whether or not he brought his fanbase in with him. But since he was never a big star in TNA, WCW, or even the original ECW, I think he might be pushed.

What Would Kevin Do?
11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
As far as RVD goes, while it's a shitty reason, look at the time frame. They still had the Rock, Austin, Angle, Jericho, etc. Hell, even with Christian, they still had other big name guys.

Now guys are dropping like flies, and there "hand picked future" doesn't seem to be doing to well either. They need stars for the future, and they need stars for ECW if they plan on keeping it going.

I guess what I'm getting at is that they are in a posistion now where burying Punk doesn't give them as many options to fall back on as burying RVD, and to a lesser extent, Christian,did back in the day.

Destor
11-28-2006, 02:00 PM
One thing I think a lot of you are forgetting when it comes to the reaction Punk got Sunday is he might as well have been in his home town. That crowd knew him. It was Philly, ya know? Heavy Smark crowd out there, it's like Edge getting cheered in Canada. Not big shocker. (But yeah, Punk has a good chance inseeing upper-mid card in the not so distant future.)

What Would Kevin Do?
11-28-2006, 02:07 PM
One thing I think a lot of you are forgetting when it comes to the reaction Punk got Sunday is he might as well have been in his home town. That crowd knew him. It was Philly, ya know? Heavy Smark crowd out there, it's like Edge getting cheered in Canada. Not big shocker. (But yeah, Punk has a good chance inseeing upper-mid card in the not so distant future.)

True, but he got a damn good reaction in London too.

Destor
11-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Not doubting the guy is mega-over. They've done a GREAT job with Punk up until this point. Alls I'm saying is that Punk out cheering D-X in Philly isn't a huge statement. Lets see it happen in Wisconsin (Markville, USA) and then we'll talk.

Kane Knight
11-28-2006, 02:16 PM
I guess what I'm getting at is that they are in a posistion now where burying Punk doesn't give them as many options to fall back on as burying RVD, and to a lesser extent, Christian,did back in the day.

They did have a lot of stars to fall back on when Christian was being buried...

...Like...Ummm....

Destor
11-28-2006, 02:17 PM
They were in the middle of their Superman movie push...NO ONE was gonna go over Cena at that point.

Blitz
11-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Skippord is pretty good.

Skippord
11-28-2006, 04:13 PM
:)

Dave Youell
11-28-2006, 04:22 PM
I don't care what anyone thinks should happen with him, i want him to go over for the title next month, it's the only reason i'm staying up for it!

Jeritron
11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't get too excited tho, hes getting huge pops and a following but unfortunately that doesnt mean WWE will use him correctly.
We saw the same or bigger reactions and fan following for Jericho around this point into his tenure with the WWE and they put him on the backburner for 2 years, and he went from a guy destined for greatness to a misused asset who unfortunately floated in and out of the main event.
Hopefully WWE can do things the right way. You push him too soon and you have Randy Orton, you push him too late and you have Jericho or RVD. Not that theres anything wrong with their carrers, they've been great, but not what they could have been. Its all about timing and execution.

PullMyFinger
11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
I remember when Christian was the most over superstar on the roster....that went far in WWE.

AdrianM
11-28-2006, 07:59 PM
i want CM pnk as champ. altho ideally, I'd rather he be champ on Smackdown or Raw than on ECW but hell, whatever.

I don't really know why I like punk so much tbh. He just seems to have it all I suppose. Charisma, mic work, awesome abilities and heck, he seems to be having alot of fun out there too

Savio
11-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Christian wasn't happy and put out great promos. Christian is happy and puts out shitty promos maybe TNA should hold him down.

McLegend
11-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Ever since Christian has turned heel in TNA he has been doing rather well.

El Fangel
11-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Anyone think of what it would be like if Christian was in Edges place right now, and vice versa?

McLegend
11-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Edge is the fuckin man STFU

Also no I don't think about it all.

El Fangel
11-28-2006, 09:17 PM
I agree Edge is the man, but what would it be like if he and Christian switched places or....:drool: were feuding over the title:drool:

Kane Knight
11-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Anyone think of what it would be like if Christian was in Edges place right now, and vice versa?

Both are in the right place. I doubt Edge would be well-suited for TNA, and Christian would be buried like shit in WWE.

El Fangel
11-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Both are in the right place. I doubt Edge would be well-suited for TNA, and Christian would be buried like shit in WWE.
You know, I have to agree. But I would love to see Christian a ME-er in the WWE, as he wasn't pushed enough when he was around.

Kane Knight
11-28-2006, 10:19 PM
It'd be interesting to see Captain Charisma main event Raw or Smackdown.

I just can't picture it well.

El Fangel
11-28-2006, 10:23 PM
What your not a peep? You can't picture CC On top? Well thats likely true with you around he would be on bottom :naughty:

Jeritron
11-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Especially not now. At some point tho I really want to see an Edge vs Christian TLC match for the title, depending on who goes where. I doubt Christian will be brought back though, and I don't think Edge has any reason to head over to TNA career-wise.

El Fangel
11-28-2006, 10:27 PM
E&C In a TLC :drool:

Jeritron
11-28-2006, 10:43 PM
An Edge/Christian fued would be unreal.
I'm still hoping for a Jeff vs Edge main event level fued. The 4 members of those teams have really come into their own as invididual superstars, and I think it'd be a wise choice to cash in on their history at some point along the line. I think the WWE underestimates the drawing power of TLC with these guys. I know a lot of people who dislike wrestling and love the TLC matches and the shit those 4 have done.

Mr. Monday Morning
11-29-2006, 05:16 AM

WWE has shown before that crowds will generally go along with whoever the crowd before them has supported/booed/whatever, as well as crowd reactions altering their booking (ref: Hogan after WM18)

Jeritron
11-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Thats because they were stupid. They should have known that Hogan coming home was going to generate tremendous cheers. He should have been booked as a face for his return as the Hulkster, and then on a grand stage turned on the excited fans with the debut of the Outsiders and then formed NWO from there. They have their head up their ass.
And John Cena draws boos as a face, or simply dull reactions and they chalk it up to 'traditional fans' or ignore it alltogether.
Guys start getting monster pops and tremendous following, like CM Punk now and Jericho before him and they fail to act on it because its a deviation from plans. Jericho didnt get pushed at his apex because they were busy with Triple H Rock and Undertaker still. Hopefully its not the same with Punk. Guys like Carlito got big reactions too but he was on the backburner for Cena and Bats who they've become obsessed with pushing and pushing to the point where even those who might have liked them at the get go have to be at least getting sick of them.

Skippord
11-29-2006, 06:14 AM
How is this stuff about me

addy2hotty
11-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Hopefully its not the same with Punk. Guys like Carlito got big reactions too but he was on the backburner for Cena and Bats who they've become obsessed with pushing and pushing to the point where even those who might have liked them at the get go have to be at least getting sick of them.

But you've just given the reason for why it will be the same for Punk.

Kane Knight
11-29-2006, 08:44 AM
What your not a peep? You can't picture CC On top? Well thats likely true with you around he would be on bottom :naughty:

I can't picture anyone under 6'7" or 350 lbs in the main event scene without "Eddie, Eddie!" in the background.

El Fangel
11-29-2006, 09:58 AM
I can't picture anyone under 6'7" or 350 lbs in the main event scene without "Eddie, Eddie!" in the background.

John Cena 6'1 240lbs
Batista 6'5 290lbs

:shifty:

Corkscrewed
11-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I have zero faith in the WWE to do the smart thing these days. So I'll just sit back and see how they treat CM Punk. And maybe... just maybe... they won't screw it up this time.

We'll see.

Destor
11-29-2006, 03:31 PM
WWE has shown before that crowds will generally go along with whoever the crowd before them has supported/booed/whatever, as well as crowd reactions altering their booking (ref: Hogan after WM18)I'm sorry, but whats your point? SS will leave him more over than he went in? Yeah def. (I'm not trying to be a dick, I seriously don't get your post.)

Mr. Monday Morning
11-30-2006, 05:44 AM
I didn't quite quote the whole post I wanted but you said something along the lines of when he gets cheered in Wisconsin he'll have made it, but the reaction in Philly was his hometown. He arguably got the biggest pop of the whole show, so it wouldn't surprise me if his reactions seriously pick up from now wherever he is.

Basically.

KingofOldSchool
11-30-2006, 08:04 AM
He's from Chicago which is hundreds of miles away from Philly, so no dice on the hometown thing.

What Would Kevin Do?
11-30-2006, 08:29 AM
He's from Chicago which is hundreds of miles away from Philly, so no dice on the hometown thing.

The original comment was that it was "practically his hometown." Which is true, because ROH is Philly based. He has a strong following there.

Mr. Monday Morning
11-30-2006, 08:51 AM
So is IWA Mid-South, he worked there for quite a while. He did a couple spots in Chikara too. All Philly based.

KingofOldSchool
11-30-2006, 09:09 AM
No, IWA Mid-South is based around Indiana/Illinois.

Kane Knight
11-30-2006, 09:19 AM
People are still blowing their loads prematurely.

However, since Vince likes Punk, odds are he'll go far. But I still remember OMG BURCHILL HAS THE BEST ARMBAR!!!!!!111

El Fangel
11-30-2006, 09:21 AM
I will never let Punk marks live it down, if he wins the ECW title, and gets pulled over for

Speeding while Weeding

Mr. Monday Morning
11-30-2006, 09:41 AM
No, IWA Mid-South is based around Indiana/Illinois.

They run the ECW arena, I'd say that qualifies

-edit- correction, my bad. They only started running there last year

KingofOldSchool
11-30-2006, 09:46 AM
But you said it was Philly based, that means that it regularly runs cards there which is not true.

That's like saying WCW was based in California because they held shows there before.

Mr. Monday Morning
11-30-2006, 09:52 AM
F5

Destor
11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
People are still blowing their loads prematurely.

However, since Vince likes Punk, odds are he'll go far. But I still remember OMG BURCHILL HAS THE BEST ARMBAR!!!!!!111I wish they would have ran with that arm bar. WIth MMA on the rise a legit hold might actually go far...