PDA

View Full Version : New trade talks: A-Rod for

Supreme Olajuwon
02-14-2004, 11:43 AM
[Alfonso Soriano]? Thats the deal being talked about in [New York]

A-Rod would play third

Cashman is trying his best to hide whats going on but if this goes down it would be huge

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 11:47 AM
WOW, I was just going to post this. But yeah, I heard this story like four weeks ago on that show "Around the Horn" I'll go nuts if we get A-ROD. Man, how pissed of would the BoSox fans be. LOL Here is the article on ESPN if you want to check it out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1735039

VonErich Lives
02-14-2004, 11:55 AM
WOW, I was just going to post this. But yeah, I heard this story like four weeks ago on that show "Around the Horn" I'll go nuts if we get A-ROD. Man, how pissed of would the BoSox fans be. LOL Here is the article on ESPN if you want to check it out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1735039

As a Sox fan, it really wouldn't bother me, cause if anything it would help assure the Yanks wont get the pitching they need.

Plus, it would put them way over the luxury tax.

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 11:59 AM
As a Sox fan, it really wouldn't bother me, cause if anything it would help assure the Yanks wont get the pitching they need.

Plus, it would put them way over the luxury tax.

Really, I don't know. If it were the other way around and the Yankees were pursuing A-Rod and then the Sox got him, that would royally piss me off.

The Icon of Elisim
02-14-2004, 02:02 PM
If I were the Yankees I'd rather have Soriano

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-14-2004, 02:11 PM
What about Jeter

I think if the Yanks got A-Rod, Jeter would be upset because hes "Mr.Yankee" and all that bullshit

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Plus NY would still need either a 3rd or 2nd basemen, depending on where A-Rod or Jeter would be moving too

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Well Soriano would get traded and Jeter will move to third. So yeah, they will still need a 2nd basemen. And there aren't a whole lot of great 2nd basemen around the league, so losing Soriano would be a tough whole to fill. I don't think the deal will go down anyway. Soriano was utter sh** in the playoffs last year and we all know how Steinbrenner is. No matter how talented you are, if you screw up like Soriano did in the playoffs, your definately on thin ice to be traded.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-14-2004, 04:34 PM
I heard the Rangers aggreed to the trade on ESPN just now

but agree "In principle" or some shit like that

Innovator
02-14-2004, 04:46 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

A-Rod is in Pinstripes, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jeter and A-Rod in the same infield, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Hopefully the Players Union will be blocking this trade aswell hahahaha

Clowns

Excellance of Execution
02-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Hopefully the Players Union will be blocking this trade aswell hahahaha

Clowns
Hey, you never know. The Yankee's have more money than anyone to throw around, and we all know the player's union, along with just about everyone else in baseball is all about money. Being a die hard Yankee's fan, i would love to see them get A-Rod. If the original post is correct, they would play A-Rod at third and Jeter at short and they would just need a second baseman. They could always play Enrique Wilson there and sign Luis Sojo to platoon there. I don't think second base is to hard to find a replacement for, and if you have the opportunity to get the best player in baseball the Yanks should go for it, just as long as they don't have to overpay to get him.

Sensei Of Mattitude
02-14-2004, 05:14 PM
ITS ON MLB.com. NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO! F*CK THE YANKEES. I SERIOUSLY HATE THE NEW YORK YANKEES. A-Rod for Soriano and an Minor Leaguer. Well, guess what New York... You're still NOT Going to Win. Maybe the AL but the Series. Get anybody and it won't happen. This team won't have the chemistry nor a good 1st Baseman. FNY

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Yeah sTiMa, I just heard them bring that up on ESPN. I bet you they probably will block it too. But on ESPN they're saying the deal is "all but done." But if the deal does go through, the Yankees have Jeter, A-Rod, Giambi and Posada as an infield. That's pretty sick.

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 05:16 PM
ITS ON MLB.com. NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO! F*CK THE YANKEES. I SERIOUSLY HATE THE NEW YORK YANKEES. A-Rod for Soriano and an Minor Leaguer. Well, guess what New York... You're still NOT Going to Win. Maybe the AL but the Series. Get anybody and it won't happen. This team won't have the chemistry nor a good 1st Baseman. FNY

What do you mean not a good 1st baseman? Last time I checked Giambi is considered one of the best 1st baseman in the League.

The Miz
02-14-2004, 06:06 PM
What do you mean not a good 1st baseman? Last time I checked Giambi is considered one of the best 1st baseman in the League.

didn't know a .250 hitter and a horrible defnesive player was considered one of the best in the league.

Yashamaga
02-14-2004, 06:18 PM
bullshit

that's all i can say.

oh p.s. I hate A-rod now and wish he dies. along with steinbrenner.

The Miz
02-14-2004, 06:22 PM
1. lofton CF
2. jeter SS
3. rodriguez 3B
4. sheffield RF
5. posada C
6. matsui LF
7. giambi 1B
8. williams DH?
9. wilson 2B?

not to mention tony clark, ruben sierra, and mike lamb coming off the bench.

all i can say is damn.

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Giambi is a .300+ hitter. Last year he battled some eye problems.

I like this deal for the Rangers more than I do for the Yankees. Too many heavy hitters in NY now, not enough 'get on base' guys. Even though Soriano put up big HR numbers, he was also a base stealing threat along with Jeter... I guess Lofton's supposed to fill that role, but I dunno, he's had so many hamstring injuries.

Also, apart from the fact that the Red Sox screwed up with Manny by putting him on waivers and him not getting picked up, they too IMO are better off without A-Rod.

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 06:38 PM
didn't know a .250 hitter and a horrible defnesive player was considered one of the best in the league.

Okay, first of all Giambi had one bad year last year in all of his 8 year career in the MLB. He has a career .302 batting average, so it's not like he's been hitting like crap for the last couple of years. He hit .314 for the Yankees in 2002. He hit 41 homers for the Yankees in each of his two seasons with NY. That's 2 less then his career best. His strikeouts really killed him last year though, but everyone goes through bad years. I mean you still have to consider him one of the best offensive threats in the league or your crazy. I would take him at first over anybody in the American League right now except for Delgado

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Giambi is a .300+ hitter. Last year he battled some eye problems.

I like this deal for the Rangers more than I do for the Yankees. Too many heavy hitters in NY now, not enough 'get on base' guys. Even though Soriano put up big HR numbers, he was also a base stealing threat along with Jeter... I guess Lofton's supposed to fill that role, but I dunno, he's had so many hamstring injuries.

Also, apart from the fact that the Red Sox screwed up with Manny by putting him on waivers and him not getting picked up, they too IMO are better off without A-Rod.

No way, the Yankees are getting the best deal in this. I mean why the Rangers didn't go after pitching is a mystery to me. Yeah Soriano is a good player, but the Rangers are in desperate need for pitching right now. But I see your point about the stolen base thing. I guess if you have a lot guys that can hit for extra bases, you don't need that as much though.

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Rangers are no worse off, Yankees very well be.
That's how I meant it when I said the Rangers came out better. I really think this was an "In your face Boston" type of deal.
It's hard to downplay A-Rod, and maybe I'm guilty of that, but from my computer chair, I say they didn't need him with all that they already have.

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Plus. Soriano makes nothing compared to A-Rod so the Rangers may be actively now in the pitching market... if there's anything worth while left that is.

The Icon of Elisim
02-14-2004, 07:06 PM
1. lofton CF
2. jeter SS
3. rodriguez 3B
4. sheffield RF
5. posada C
6. matsui LF
7. giambi 1B
8. williams DH?
9. wilson 2B?

not to mention tony clark, ruben sierra, and mike lamb coming off the bench.

all i can say is damn.

Starting Pitchers:
Javier Vazquez
Mike Mussina
Kevin Brown
Jon Lieber

Thats pretty weak

The Icon of Elisim
02-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Plus. Soriano makes nothing compared to A-Rod so the Rangers may be actively now in the pitching market... if there's anything worth while left that is.

Greg Maddux is still available.

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 07:09 PM

No, actually what I've heard on ESPN and read is that the Rangers are going with there home grown talent and not pusuing anybody. I guess there trying to develop their young arms to get then used to pitching in Texas, which is a hitters park.

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Greg Maddux is still available.

Maddux won't pitch in the A.L.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-14-2004, 07:23 PM
ARod's numbers are better then Soranio, but Soranio was also an all star last year so its not A-Rod is going to a HUGE change in their offensive output, it will def get better but we'll see what happens.

I'm hoping their chemisty is horrible and their pitching staff does bad.

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Soranio was also an all star last year so its not A-Rod is going to a HUGE change in their offensive output,

Yeah exactly

Sensei Of Mattitude
02-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Giambi is trash ever since he came from Oakland. He was THE SHIT in Oak-town but ever since he sold out to the Corporation he hasnt been the same. He's always injured, can't play the field (isn't that the reason NY is going after Travis Lee, who is amazing in the field?) and does anyone remember his POSTSEASON SLUMP LAST YEAR and being DEMOTED to hit 7th in the lineup against Florida?

Thome is King. Nuff Said, maybe he can cut down the Ks but Thome is King.

Sensei Of Mattitude
02-14-2004, 08:03 PM
I don't know if the chemistry on the Yankees will be good enough to win. As everyone saw last year the Marlins had the chemistry. The speed guys, the power guys and the complements. The Yankees are nothing but power power power. What are they going to do, swing for the fence every at bat? What about egos? How will Giambi react if A-Rod is racking up HRs when he isn't or vice versa or a different pair of players? Plus then you have Steinbrenner ready to pull the plug on any and everyone.

How to do win a Championship? With pitching... something the Yankees really don't have. Jose and Lieber.... are question marks, big time. Mussina, and Vazquez are good and Brown is still good for 39. But they don't have any LEFTHANDERS! What about that short Right Field Wall at Yankee Stadium? With nothing but righthanded pitchers in the rotation, if you get a Bonds or Thome in for a series, WATCH OUT!

Top 3 Favorites in National League (In No Particular Order)
Philadelphia Phillies
Chicago Cubs
Houston Astros

Top 3 Favorites in American League (In No Particular Order)
Anaheim Angels
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees

Should be a really exciting season.

Loose Cannon
02-14-2004, 11:18 PM
How to do win a Championship? With pitching.

Well if that were the case, Oakland would of won the championship the last three seasons.

Nice way to run the bases guys. LOL

Yashamaga
02-14-2004, 11:34 PM
holy shit

stop up-talking the phillies/thome.

they're not in the top 3 favorites in the NL, they're probably not even in the top 10. They didn't even make the playoffs last year. ass.

The Miz
02-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Well if that were the case, Oakland would of won the championship the last three seasons.

Nice way to run the bases guys. LOL

LOL classic. almost as good as jorge's clutch hit in the 9th.

oh wait.

mitch_h
02-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Why are they talking about playing A-Rod at third... I mean he's a gold glover. If I was a pitcher I would want A-Rod playing short.

BCWWF
02-15-2004, 12:34 AM
IWith nothing but righthanded pitchers in the rotation, if you get a Bonds or Thome in for a series, WATCH OUT!

Yeah, since Bonds and Thome will be in Yankee Stadium so often right?

Splaya
02-15-2004, 01:17 AM
The deal is done. They are waiting for the players union to approve of it. I was just going across Yahoo sports and front page...Report: A-Rod heading to Bronx in blockbuster deal

Rodriguez apparently could be leaving Texas afterall. (AP) The Yankees and Rangers have an agreement in principle on a monster trade that will send shortstop Alex Rodriguez to New York in exchange for Alfonso Soriano, Newsday is reporting. Rodriguez, the AL MVP, would be moved from shortstop to third base by New York. Derek Jeter, the Yankees' captain, would remain at shortstop.

I was like what the flying ****. This is so sick it is unbelievable. I still think the Tigers are the team that did the most to try to better their team, but the Yankees are right behind them.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-15-2004, 01:39 AM
Detriot?

Yankees got A-Rod + Sheff

Shit even the Red Sox got better players this offense season, they got Kurt Schilling remember..that is more impressive then what the Tigers have done

BCWWF
02-15-2004, 02:23 AM
Add to that Brown and Vasquez

Splaya
02-15-2004, 02:36 AM
Detriot?

Yankees got A-Rod + Sheff

Shit even the Red Sox got better players this offense season, they got Kurt Schilling remember..that is more impressive then what the Tigers have done

5 bucks and my left nut says the tigers win the ALCS this year and make it to the world series.

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 08:39 AM
The deals done, the Players union will aprove it, because A-rod's not taking a pay cut, where Soriano makes so much less, the Rangers were able to pick up a chunk of A-rod contract, unlike the Sox deal, where Manny makes 20million.

The Rangers get the better of the deal, they get a much younger, much cheaper, all-star. Free up alot of money, and they get a guy who almost went 40/40 the last 2 yrs.

This really doesn't scare me, the Yanks still need pitching, not hitting, and A-rod isn't a huge jump in power over Soriano. Soriano got on base, created runs, was an RBI... Will A-rod be the same player? probably not, more power, less of the speed. Instead of 2 and 3 run Homers, the Yanks will have a lot of Solo Homers.

Don't get me wrong, A-rod is one of, if not the best 5-tool player in MLB, I'm just not worried as a Sox fan...

Mikey
02-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Thought they were going to get a minor leaguer too

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 08:45 AM
Thought they were going to get a minor leaguer too

Yeah, there saying Soriano, Player to be named later and a Minor Leaguer.

The ML is rumored to be some great catching prospect.

There was rumur the player was going to be contraras... which would hurt the Yanks even more, but I don't think it will be him.

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 09:12 AM
5 bucks and my left nut says the tigers win the ALCS this year and make it to the world series.

Would this be in the minor league or the women's softball league?

Excellance of Execution
02-15-2004, 09:26 AM
The deals done, the Players union will aprove it, because A-rod's not taking a pay cut, where Soriano makes so much less, the Rangers were able to pick up a chunk of A-rod contract, unlike the Sox deal, where Manny makes 20million.

The Rangers get the better of the deal, they get a much younger, much cheaper, all-star. Free up alot of money, and they get a guy who almost went 40/40 the last 2 yrs.

This really doesn't scare me, the Yanks still need pitching, not hitting, and A-rod isn't a huge jump in power over Soriano. Soriano got on base, created runs, was an RBI... Will A-rod be the same player? probably not, more power, less of the speed. Instead of 2 and 3 run Homers, the Yanks will have a lot of Solo Homers.

Don't get me wrong, A-rod is one of, if not the best 5-tool player in MLB, I'm just not worried as a Sox fan...I agree with some of what you say and disagree with most of what you say. Here's what i think: I agree with you when you say the Yanks still need pitching, but A-Rod isn't just a prolific homerun hitter, he is on base alot with hits and walks. The only thing Soriano has on him is base stealing. A-Rod is way better defensively, a clearly better clutch hitter and he doesn't strike out as much. In most peoples eyes A-Rod is the BEST player in baseball, not in the top 5, the BEST. He does just about everything well, not many weaknesses. It just sounds to me like you (being a typical Red Sox fan) are trying to downplay the whole situation because the Yankees are probably going to get him and the Red Sox didn't. Although the always say good pitching will always beat good hitting, if i was a pitcher looking at the Yanks lineup, i would be f*cking scared sh*tless. This lineup will definatly test that theory. Go YANKEE'S!!!!!!!!

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 12:02 PM
I agree with some of what you say and disagree with most of what you say. Here's what i think: I agree with you when you say the Yanks still need pitching, but A-Rod isn't just a prolific homerun hitter, he is on base alot with hits and walks. The only thing Soriano has on him is base stealing. A-Rod is way better defensively, a clearly better clutch hitter and he doesn't strike out as much. In most peoples eyes A-Rod is the BEST player in baseball, not in the top 5, the BEST. He does just about everything well, not many weaknesses. It just sounds to me like you (being a typical Red Sox fan) are trying to downplay the whole situation because the Yankees are probably going to get him and the Red Sox didn't. Although the always say good pitching will always beat good hitting, if i was a pitcher looking at the Yanks lineup, i would be f*cking scared sh*tless. This lineup will definatly test that theory. Go YANKEE'S!!!!!!!!

Yeah, sounds like your a typical Yankee's fan, who figures you put shit in pinstrips and you'll win.

Pitching wins, the Yankee's proved that. The Sox would have better hitting and lose to the Yanks pitching.

I did say A-rod is the bets 5-tool player in the league, not "top 5 player" I said "5 tool player" (Although you can Argue Vlad). He will be an upgrade over Soriano, but in that lineup, I don't think the effect will be what you think.

We'll know in September.

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 12:17 PM
They were just quoting on the radio.

A-rod lifetime at fenway is .167, at Yankee Stadium is .241
Plus he's sub .150 vs. Pedro, Lowe and Schilling.

On a side note, the rumor (key word RUMOR) the sox might go after Soriano. If that happens, Georgie will hang himself.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Add to that Brown and VasquezThey aren't upgrade over what they lost, though

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 12:27 PM
They aren't upgrade over what they lost, though

Exactly, Brown is healthy is a great pitcher, but will he stay healthy again?

Vazquez, I know everyones telling me how great this kid is, but I think he's going to be a .500 guy with a mid 3's ERA... maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 12:27 PM
They aren't upgrade over what they lost, though

Brown: Hell no. Vasquez: Maybe, considering Clemens is kind of old and Wells same thing. But the loss of Pettite will hurt us this year, you can bet on that.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Thats the thing though...Lost Wells Clemens and Pettite but they only picked up 2 pitchers

Whatever though George will just trade a box of donuts for Colon or something before the end of the season

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Thats the thing though...Lost Wells Clemens and Pettite but they only picked up 2 pitchers

Whatever though George will just trade a box of donuts for Colon or something before the end of the season

heh, gotta love sports radio, I'm listening in Boston and NY Fans are calling that "A-rod will never wear a yankees jersey, George is going to trade him for 2 pitchers"

The kept asking the guy "Who, what 2 pitchers" the respone "We don't know that, we'll have to wait and see, but he will".

A-rods no trade clause goes with him, that being said, the only team that would consider his payroll is the Sox.

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 12:50 PM
heh, gotta love sports radio, I'm listening in Boston and NY Fans are calling that "A-rod will never wear a yankees jersey, George is going to trade him for 2 pitchers"

The kept asking the guy "Who, what 2 pitchers" the respone "We don't know that, we'll have to wait and see, but he will".

A-rods no trade clause goes with him, that being said, the only team that would consider his payroll is the Sox.

LOL, A-Rod for Schilling and Lowe

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 01:13 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/0214/photo/arod_hatswap_02.jpg :D

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Do keep in mind, the MLBPA still has to approve, because there is some deferement and droping of the intrest rate, which is the exact reason they wouldn't let the Sox deal go through.

Schilling posts on a BB and put a post about the deal, how it helps the yankees, but what did Sox fans expect after 85year a cake walk? and how it will make it all the better when the win it all and the Sox fans are flipping off the Yankee fans.

Curt's the man!

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Yeah, you know I hate the Sox and everything, but the reaction on the fans faces if they ever win the Series is just going to be priceless.

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 01:28 PM
yeah, I'm about 10min drive if that from Fenway... I'll be on my porch with a shotgun. :)

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-15-2004, 01:40 PM
If the Red Sox ever win the World Series I really think my house will be burned down due to riots

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 02:14 PM
If the Red Sox ever win the World Series I really think my house will be burned down due to riots

How close to Fenway?

Although, after the Patriots, and the flack and the new Police Commish, I think they'd be ready with riot gear and such.

Yashamaga
02-15-2004, 02:21 PM
does anyone have a link to where Curt posted that stuff?

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 02:25 PM
does anyone have a link to where Curt posted that stuff?

www.schillingtalksbullshit.com

Yashamaga
02-15-2004, 02:37 PM
www.schillingtalksbullshit.com

oh yeah that looks familiar

I think I saw it in the links section at www.closemindedyankeesfans.com

YOUR Hero
02-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Pedro will bean A-Rod first meeting they have[/prediction]

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 03:13 PM
www.sonsofsamhorn.com

He posts under Gehrig38 and John Henry posts under.... John Henery.

Was funny, the sports writers were on the radio a few months back, bitching how if these guys keep posting, then the writers don't get the story and schilling called into the show and said "Isn't it your job to ask questions and get the story, it's not my job to give it to you".

Supreme Olajuwon
02-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Red Sox fans are just as big assholes as Yankee fans. Thats the beauty of this whole rivalry

Supreme Olajuwon
02-15-2004, 03:18 PM
www.sonsofsamhorn.com

He posts under Gehrig38 and John Henry posts under.... John Henery.

Was funny, the sports writers were on the radio a few months back, bitching how if these guys keep posting, then the writers don't get the story and schilling called into the show and said "Isn't it your job to ask questions and get the story, it's not my job to give it to you".

lol i went there and Wadding was browsing there

http://pub208.ezboard.com/udavewadding.showPublicProfile

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-15-2004, 03:21 PM
LOL Schilling bitches at Quest tec on there :love:

Excellance of Execution
02-15-2004, 03:25 PM
oh yeah that looks familiar

I think I saw it in the links section at www.closemindedyankeesfans.com
This trade really burns you Red Sox fans doesn't it? And just to think, i heard on espn this morning, that if the Red Sox would have picked up like 12 million dollars the deal would have happened. Now you guys are stuck with Manny, who i think is a good player, but gets hurt to often. Plus you guys knock the Yankees for not having any pitchers, while you bank all your hopes on Pedro and Shilling. Pedro is awesome, i will give you that, but by midseason he will be hurt. Shilling is coming off an injury prone year and is only getting older, and will Bill Meuller, David Ortiz or Kevin Millar have as good a season as they did last year? I'm not thinking so, and to top it all off, it's just a matter of time before people start talking about Nomar being the odd man out when the Sox were trying to get A-Rod, i believe that will be a huge distraction. I guess though we'll have to see what happens, but just like every other year we all know what we'll see come the end of the baseball season and i don't even have to say it.

Excellance of Execution
02-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Yeah, sounds like your a typical Yankee's fan, who figures you put shit in pinstrips and you'll win.

Pitching wins, the Yankee's proved that. The Sox would have better hitting and lose to the Yanks pitching.

I did say A-rod is the bets 5-tool player in the league, not "top 5 player" I said "5 tool player" (Although you can Argue Vlad). He will be an upgrade over Soriano, but in that lineup, I don't think the effect will be what you think.

We'll know in September.
Yeah, and you sound like a typical Red Sox fan lol. With the lineup the Yankees will put together, it think that theory will be put to the test (good pitching beats good hitting), but we'll see. I think the Red Sox got a little lucky last year. Millar, Mueller and Ortiz all had career years. Do you really think they can match, or top last years number's? I'm doughting it very much, but we'll see. This is the most if looked forward to the beginning of a season in along time.

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 03:40 PM
LOL at the little feud going on here

Supreme Olajuwon
02-15-2004, 03:52 PM
lol what how is Schilling injury prone? He had his appendix removed and he broke his hand barehanding a ball

DaveWadding
02-15-2004, 03:55 PM
lol i went there and Wadding was browsing there

http://pub208.ezboard.com/udavewadding.showPublicProfile

Yeah, I was reading the Schilling topic, because he is mang. :love:

Yashamaga
02-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Now you guys are stuck with Manny, who i think is a good player, but gets hurt to often.

Plus you guys knock the Yankees for not having any pitchers, while you bank all your hopes on Pedro and Shilling.

Pedro is awesome, i will give you that, but by midseason he will be hurt.

1 Yeah, we're stuck with one of the most prolific HR-RBI guys in the last 5 years. He broke his hand 2 seasons ago and still won the batting title. He's not that injury prone.

2 Yeah. We also bank on Derek Lowe, Tim Wakefield, Keith Foulke, B-H Kim and Mike Timlin. LOL

3 and you think Brown won't be?

Yashamaga
02-15-2004, 04:13 PM
"I'd rather have bamboo shoots jammed into my eye socket, than pitch a game in a quest-tec infested park. It sucks"

lol I love curt schilling

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Yeah, and you sound like a typical Red Sox fan lol. With the lineup the Yankees will put together, it think that theory will be put to the test (good pitching beats good hitting), but we'll see. I think the Red Sox got a little lucky last year. Millar, Mueller and Ortiz all had career years. Do you really think they can match, or top last years number's? I'm doughting it very much, but we'll see. This is the most if looked forward to the beginning of a season in along time.

Would be nice talking baseball if you knew what you were talking about.

Schilling was his apendix, oh yeah... he's injury prone.

Will Mueller go after the batting title again, probably not, Ortiz I think can hit those numbers again in this park.

Pedro has been rather healthy the past few years.

Anyway, we'll know in September.

The trade doesn't burn me, cause while it does help the Yanks, it doesn't help them as much as you seem to think.

They Key to the A-rod deal for the Sox was moving Nomar before his contract is up.

and Manny's injury prone? Lazy at times maybe, not the brightest bulb, thats for sure...

Is there anyone on the Sox you don't think is injury prone?

KleptoKlown
02-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Giambi did great for the A's....not so great for the Yanks.
Bure did great for the Canucks and Panthers....not so great for the Rangers.

When you take an allstar player, and put him on a team filled with allstars...they dont do nearly as good.

Lets the Yanks pay a billion dollar luxery tax for a player that isnt going to help them nearly as much as he would help a different team.

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 05:23 PM
{lepto]{lown']Giambi did great for the A's....not so great for the Yanks.
Bure did great for the Canucks and Panthers....not so great for the Rangers.

When you take an allstar player, and put him on a team filled with allstars...they dont do nearly as good.

Lets the Yanks pay a billion dollar luxery tax for a player that isnt going to help them nearly as much as he would help a different team.

How can you say after one bad season, the guy isn't great. Look at his #'s from the first year he was on the Yankees and that will tell a different story. And the season he just had wasn't even that bad eathier.

Excellance of Execution
02-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Would be nice talking baseball if you knew what you were talking about.

Schilling was his apendix, oh yeah... he's injury prone.

Will Mueller go after the batting title again, probably not, Ortiz I think can hit those numbers again in this park.

Pedro has been rather healthy the past few years.

Anyway, we'll know in September.

The trade doesn't burn me, cause while it does help the Yanks, it doesn't help them as much as you seem to think.

They Key to the A-rod deal for the Sox was moving Nomar before his contract is up.

and Manny's injury prone? Lazy at times maybe, not the brightest bulb, thats for sure...

Is there anyone on the Sox you don't think is injury prone?
I said Shilling was injury prone last year, it happens to everyone. Pedro, up until last year was injured mostly every year before that, and as for Manny, he was either injured or playing at a level below what he is capable of. I'm not your typical Yankee's fan who loaths the Red Sox, actually i can't even say i hate them. I do however dislike it when people say things like "It would be nice talking baseball if you knew what you were talking about" just because you either don't agree with what i said or don't like what i said. I was just stating my opinion. As for Nomar being the key to the A-Rod deal, well that's not true. It all boiled down to money. They had a couple teams interested in Nomar, the White Sox and I believe the Angels come to mind, so that wasn't the key. If they would have gotten A-Rod, they wouldn't have had a problem moving Nomar, i just don't think it would have been good for the Red Sox because it would have made a lot of die hard Red Sox fans really mad. I compare the Red Sox offering Nomar for trade to the Yankees if they offered Jeter for trade. Whether it's good for business or not, it's going to p*ss off die hard fans, and IMO i think it will have an affect this season, because whenever Nomar struggles it will be brought up and it will be a distraction. But anyways, we'll see what happens.

Yashamaga
02-15-2004, 06:17 PM
I compare the Red Sox offering Nomar for trade to the Yankees if they offered Jeter for trade.

LOL I'll pass.

I'd rather not have one of the most overated players ever. Thanks :)

YOUR Hero
02-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Jeter is a winner. Just thought I'd toss that in.

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 06:47 PM
I said Shilling was injury prone last year, it happens to everyone. Pedro, up until last year was injured mostly every year before that, and as for Manny, he was either injured or playing at a level below what he is capable of. I'm not your typical Yankee's fan who loaths the Red Sox, actually i can't even say i hate them. I do however dislike it when people say things like "It would be nice talking baseball if you knew what you were talking about" just because you either don't agree with what i said or don't like what i said. I was just stating my opinion. As for Nomar being the key to the A-Rod deal, well that's not true. It all boiled down to money. They had a couple teams interested in Nomar, the White Sox and I believe the Angels come to mind, so that wasn't the key. If they would have gotten A-Rod, they wouldn't have had a problem moving Nomar, i just don't think it would have been good for the Red Sox because it would have made a lot of die hard Red Sox fans really mad. I compare the Red Sox offering Nomar for trade to the Yankees if they offered Jeter for trade. Whether it's good for business or not, it's going to p*ss off die hard fans, and IMO i think it will have an affect this season, because whenever Nomar struggles it will be brought up and it will be a distraction. But anyways, we'll see what happens.

Again, how can you call someone injury prone who has an apedectamy?

It's not like a reacurring hammy or something, that's why I said you don't know what your talking about.

As for Nomar, being the key for the A-rod deal, I meant in a positive way for the Sox, it allowed us to move Nomar who is in the last yr of his contract, now if we do, we have no real SS to take his place.

I still want to see if the MLBPA ok's this, and if they do, how the defered money was different then the Sox deal they veto'd.

Of course this helps the Yanks, but I just don't think it's the best move for them.

That being said, I don't despise the Yanks, I love the rivalry and respect what they have done, Gherig, Mantle, etc... but I'll say this, and I wasn't around but I bet Hero or DU could verify this...

I didn't here you yankees fans talking smack in 1918! :p

Excellance of Execution
02-15-2004, 06:51 PM
LOL I'll pass.

I'd rather not have one of the most overated players ever. Thanks :)
I'm not saying to trade nomar for jeter. I'm saying the Red Sox offering Nomar in a trade, would be like the Yankees offering Jeter in a trade. Neither would go over well with the die hard fans of either team. BTW like YOUR HERO said "Jeter is a winner", all you have to do is tune in every october or november to prove it.

Excellance of Execution
02-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Again, how can you call someone injury prone who has an apedectamy?

It's not like a reacurring hammy or something, that's why I said you don't know what your talking about.

As for Nomar, being the key for the A-rod deal, I meant in a positive way for the Sox, it allowed us to move Nomar who is in the last yr of his contract, now if we do, we have no real SS to take his place.

I still want to see if the MLBPA ok's this, and if they do, how the defered money was different then the Sox deal they veto'd.

Of course this helps the Yanks, but I just don't think it's the best move for them.

That being said, I don't despise the Yanks, I love the rivalry and respect what they have done, Gherig, Mantle, etc... but I'll say this, and I wasn't around but I bet Hero or DU could verify this...

I didn't here you yankees fans talking smack in 1918! :p
Your right on the appendectomy, but didn't he break his hand also? I'm just saying he is coming off and injury-filled year and at his age it is not as easy to come back as it would for a young buck.

As for the MLBPA approving it, they have. As of right now, it is on Bud Selig's desk, waiting for him to approve or disapprove of it. I believe the biggest difference between this trade and the trade for Manny and A-Rod is: Soriano makes like 5-6 million a year so the Rangers are picking up 1/3 of A-Rods salary and with the deal for Manny the Rangers weren't going to pick up as much, if any of his salary, because Manny makes 20 million. With the trade with the Yanks, A-Rod won't have to restructure his contract significantly like he would of if he went to Boston.

As for 1918, my great grandfather used to talk smack all the time :p :lol:

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 07:15 PM
IN 1918 we were sharing a fk'n ballpark with the NY Giants.

VonErich Lives
02-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Your right on the appendectomy, but didn't he break his hand also? I'm just saying he is coming off and injury-filled year and at his age it is not as easy to come back as it would for a young buck.

As for the MLBPA approving it, they have. As of right now, it is on Bud Selig's desk, waiting for him to approve or disapprove of it. I believe the biggest difference between this trade and the trade for Manny and A-Rod is: Soriano makes like 5-6 million a year so the Rangers are picking up 1/3 of A-Rods salary and with the deal for Manny the Rangers weren't going to pick up as much, if any of his salary, because Manny makes 20 million. With the trade with the Yanks, A-Rod won't have to restructure his contract significantly like he would of if he went to Boston.

As for 1918, my great grandfather used to talk smack all the time :p :lol:

See, I'm hearing he still is moving stuff over 5yrs differed, and taking less inrest, which MLBPA doesn't allow.. oh well, as I said... I think it wont help the Yanks as much as they think... Dealing Soriano for a pitcher would have been better.

and yeah, I think schillings hand was trying to bear hand a ball, otherwise he's always been rather healthy... he's built like Clemens, not like Pedro. Stocky, not Stickly.

BCWWF
02-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Personally I don't think adding A-Rod will totally change the Yankees. Yes, of course he is an upgrade from Soriano, but really Soriano was a key part of their lineup and put up good numbers, if it was like upgrading from Cristian Guzman to A-Rod, that would be huge, but one super star for a better one is not the biggest deal. The other thing, A-Rod isn't going to be pitched around at all in the Yankee's lineup. When you are surrounded by Giambi, Matsui, Sheffield, Posada, Jeter, Williams, etc etc, pitchers are going to be going after him hardcore.

I was reading way back there, so I forget who said it, but whoever said that A-Rod was "really clutch" is almost laughable. He never has been tested, and last year when he had the opportunity to lift the Rangers past the Angels in the standings, he put up horrible numbers, keeping Texas's place on the bottom of the standings.

Loose Cannon
02-15-2004, 10:10 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2004/02/15/KtdEvaDu.jpg

So what should be dub this lineup: How about "The Bronx Nightmare." :yes:

Yashamaga
02-15-2004, 10:29 PM
how about "we still have no pitching"

Excellance of Execution
02-15-2004, 10:57 PM
how about "we still have no pitching"
Man your pathetic !! :lol: Sounds to me like your scared of the Yanks, as well you should. The funny thing about it, is that if Boston would have been willing to spend a little more money they would have A-Rod. I can see Boston kicking themselves for a long time for not getting him when the had the chance. You Red Sox fans are right though when you say the Yanks don't have an awesome pitching staff, we have a pretty good one, and that's all we need with this lineup. Also, you never know what Steinbrenner has up his sleeve. I don't think the Yankees needed to get A-Rod, but when the best player available is out there, you do what you need to do to put the best team out there.

The Outlaw
02-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Yash you are a ****ing moron.

YOUR Hero
02-15-2004, 11:43 PM
First Ruth now A-Rod. I bet a Boston or NY paper has a header like that soon :lol:

Supreme Olajuwon
02-16-2004, 01:00 AM
you know this Yankee lineup reminds me a lot of the Rockies lineup in 97 with Walker who was MVP, Bichette, Galarraga, Burks, and Castilla but just god awful pitching

I'm not saying the Yankee pitching is horrible but the talent dropoff from batting to pitching is huge

DaveWadding
02-16-2004, 01:04 AM
you know this Yankee lineup reminds me a lot of the Rockies lineup in 97 with Walker who was MVP, Bichette, Galarraga, Burks, and Castilla but just god awful pitching

*saving CNM's breath*

BLAKE STREET BOMBERS, BABY!

BCWWF
02-16-2004, 01:31 AM
YOUR Hero, you sure are good at watching sportscenter...

Anyway, it looks like the Yankee's still might try to get either Jarrod Washburn or Odalis Perez. Talk about spending money, jesus.

Anyway, the Yankee's have improved their hitting from last year, but haven't done much for their defense and their pitching has gone down. Pettite, Clemens, Wells, own Mussina, Brown, and Vazquez.

Obviously the Yankee's are going to be a really strong side again this year, but they by no means have the personnel to be unstoppable.

VonErich Lives
02-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Ball hit between 3rd and SS, A-rod and Jeter get in a fist fight over whose ball it was.

Time will tell, but I don't think it's going to be a huge deal when all is said and done, dealing Soriano for a pitcher would have been better.

BCWWF
02-16-2004, 02:04 AM
IMO they should have dealt Matsui for a pitcher, played Bernie in left, and got a pitcher.

Corkscrewed
02-16-2004, 02:25 AM
Didn't read the other replies, but this is not fair. The deal's basically done, and the Yankees have just made a blockbuster. Screw the salary cap, eh?

Anyway, the Yanks are now the Mavs of baseball, except they have all offense and no pitching (well, compared to years past) instead of all offense and no D.

I was gonna pick the Sox to win the AL East now, but the edge goes back to the Yanks now. I'm pretty sure both teams will make the playoffs though.

Excellance of Execution
02-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Didn't read the other replies, but this is not fair. The deal's basically done, and the Yankees have just made a blockbuster. Screw the salary cap, eh?

Anyway, the Yanks are now the Mavs of baseball, except they have all offense and no pitching (well, compared to years past) instead of all offense and no D.

I was gonna pick the Sox to win the AL East now, but the edge goes back to the Yanks now. I'm pretty sure both teams will make the playoffs though.
Actually being a Yankees fan, i agree that this isn't good for baseball. But the Yanks aren't doing anything there not allowed to, and if the lower market teams took the luxury tax money and put it into their teams instead of pocketing it, then there wouldn't be as big of a problem.

YOUR Hero
02-16-2004, 10:14 AM
YOUR Hero, you sure are good at watching sportscenter...
:?:

Splaya
02-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Pedro will bean A-Rod first meeting they have[/prediction]

What body part?

VonErich Lives
02-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Actually being a Yankees fan, i agree that this isn't good for baseball. But the Yanks aren't doing anything there not allowed to, and if the lower market teams took the luxury tax money and put it into their teams instead of pocketing it, then there wouldn't be as big of a problem.

Yeah, I'm not a Yankees fan but your right.

George has said he can/will go to 270million before it stops making financial sense for him.

Don't forget, YES network makes him a ton of money. same way Nesn does for the Sox owners.

As for the "Salary cap" it's not a Salary Cap, there is a luxury Tax (NBA has one also, but I think it works diffent, but so does the cap) anyway... the problem is and EE is right, small market teams take the luxury money and pocket it. It should be that if you receive X$ of Luxury Tax money your payroll most be X$ higher then the previous year, or you don't get the money.

The point of the Luxury tax is to make teams more competitve.

The Icon of Elisim
02-16-2004, 11:26 AM
:?:

I think he's playing that whole ignorant american part again

Loose Cannon
02-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Thankyou for the Negative Rep BCWWF, but may I ask where I said Eddie Guardado was still on the Twins? And how am I a biased Yankee fan? All my posts are usually based on facts.

VonErich Lives
02-16-2004, 12:18 PM
So, there allready talking the battle of the prima-donnas... A-rod v. Jeter, I think because of the money they make and their "status" of course there are issues, but Sheffield is much more likely to be an issue them those two.

They said in Texas A-rod would call the pitches from SS.. he'd signal to Pudge what to call...

Well, I don't think that will be happening anymore.

VonErich Lives
02-16-2004, 02:09 PM
There saying Maddux is between Cubs, Dodgers and Yankees, the Yanks deny this, the report came from Borus, probably just trying to raise Maddux value.

DaveWadding
02-16-2004, 02:17 PM
You mean Borass?

VonErich Lives
02-16-2004, 02:39 PM
You mean Borass?

Actually, it's Boras, but I'll just assume you were trying to be funny...

DaveWadding
02-16-2004, 02:43 PM
:yes:

VonErich Lives
02-16-2004, 02:44 PM
:yes:

:Knee Slapper Smiley:

Loose Cannon
02-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Well it's FINALLY OFFICIAL, A-ROD IS A N.Y. YANKEE. I wish I could go to Fenway next year and just witness the reaction he gets the first time he comes to the plate. I'll probably get killed in that park though, wearing my Yankee jersey and all. LOL

MVP
02-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Well it's FINALLY OFFICIAL, A-ROD IS A N.Y. YANKEE. I wish I could go to Fenway next year and just witness the reaction he gets the first time he comes to the plate. I'll probably get killed in that park though, wearing my Yankee jersey and all. LOLThat game's going to be fu</>cking sick.

I hope I can score some tickets.