PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while since we had one of these...

The One
11-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Gimme a top ten list of wrestlers. You can use any standards you wish.

The One's Top Ten Favorite Wrestlers of All Time

10) JBL
The man was a walking heat machine. For the longest time I couldn't tell where my hatred for the man ended and my hatred for the character began, then one day I realise I loved them both. He's so a perfect rich Texas asshole that it works. God bless America!

9) Kevin Nash
The man is comedy gold. I've said it before and I will say it again, he earns his pay before the first bell even sounds. Also I must admit, as a younger more impressionable youth I was a fan of Big Daddy Cool. Then in my eyes he single handedly made nWo. I was never in Razor and lord knows I always hated Hogan, so it basically came down to I was going to tune in each week to see what Nash was up to. I watch TNA currently for the sole purpose of seeing Kevin Nash doing random X-Division sketches.

8) Chris Benoit
Not Bret, not Angle, nobody can touch this man in my opinion when it comes to being the greatest technical wrestler. I don't know what to say about him other than he is flawless once he steps between the ropes. And while his mic skills have never been anything to write home about, I think even there he is somewhat underrated. Chris Benoit is the kind of man who if you were ever in a pinch, you only need to have Benoit on your roster, he can work any postition on the card, hold any title, and he still looks like a million bucks every time.

7) Roddy Piper
When it comes to drawing heat, I don't know that there has ever been a man on the same level as Piper. On the mic he is THE definative wrestler of his era. Piper's Pit alone makes him a legend, then you throw in the fact that he was an amazing worker in ring to boot, and he is an Icon amoung Legends. Although he is not the highest person on my list to never hold a World Title, he is in my opinion the man who will forever go down in history as the man who deserved it the most who never got it.

6) The Rock
Oh I smell what The Rock is cookin'. I always have. Anytime The Rock touches a mic, it's a good night. Is probably my pick for the best mic worker in the history of the industry. Incredible career, and despite lack of move variation, a fantastic worker. Throw in the fact that he seems to be a class act in real life, and certainly was one of the only big name draws (and he was HUGE) who was ok with laying down. I always loved that The Rock could give a clean pin to someone, and it didn't seem to bother him. Probably because he knew that all he needed to do was pick up a mic and everyone would totally wipe any lose he had from their memory and he could become the man in a matter of minutes again. If ya Smellllllllll....

5) Tully Blanchard
It pains me how little most of you know of his career. He is honestly one of the greatest performers of all time, and yet people only seem to know him as "One of the Four Horsemen." He had such a way about him, his knowledge of the ring was beyond incredible. There are very few people I have seen pull out a watchable Dusty Rhodes match, he made Dusty look like a star. There was always that certain something to him where you knew he was never going to break the glass ceiling, but he still was the man. Honestly when if it came down to match for match, I don't think he had a single one that wasn't good. His style certainly wouldn't fit in today's world as it was not big or over the top, it was a simple, elegant, and subtlety flashy kind of wrestling that had never been seen before, and has never really been seen since.

4) Steve Austin
Saved the WWF. Saved the Monday Night Wars. Hell, saved the entire damn industry. Steve Austin was that once in a lifetime, the culture was just right, the man was just right, the character and storylines all came together. If they tried to recreate it, or if it had been planned from the get go it just wouldn't have worked. He took pro wrestling from being a trashy red neck past-time, and made it a cool trashy redneck past-time. The character of Stone Cold is so obviously what he is known for, and yet go back to his work with ECW, go back to the Hollywood Blondes in WCW, the man was incredible the entire fucking time. I honestly don't think there will ever be a man who will be able to draw as much as he did, the weird thing is something about him can't sustain that. It was just one of those magical things where all the stars lined up just so, and Steve Austin became a household name and icon for every male ages 12-28 across America. Oh Hell Yeah!

3) Billy Gunn
None of you will ever understand it. He may end up being my favorite wrestler of all time, I just didn't have the heart (or the balls) to put him on top of the list.

2) Chris Jericho
There has never been a single second of Chris Jericho television that I regreted watching, or that I wished I would have done something else with that time. Mic skills, check. Ring skills, check. Charisma, check. I don't know where to even begin talking about him, or where I would end. I will simply say that if there was one person I would mold every single wrestler from now until the end of time after, it would be Jericho. I have always kind of struggled with choosing my absolute favorite of all time, the only three contenders are my top three on this list, and their placement changes given on the day. He is probably the best over all wrestler I have ever seen in my life. If I had been running WCW or WWE, trust me, most of the late 90s and basically all of the 00s would have been based, and revolved around Chris Jericho. Infact, as soon as I am done with this post I am going to go dig up some old Chris Jericho videos on YouTube and just sit in awe of his glory for a while.

1) Ric Flair
Wooooooooo! Anyone who knows me knows that Flair is the closest thing I have to a god. I seriously have had doubts as to weather or not he was human. Never been the guy to have the "Oh My God!" moment, and yet has stolen show after show. He is Ric Flair. He is the reason I started watching wrestling, and quite frankly the day he retires for good or (god willing not for a while) dies may very well be the day I stop watching. Even now, he is doing nothing but pissing on his legacy, and yet, I can't help but love him for it. I would watch Ric Flair in a wheelchair woooo at nurses in a retirment home if they showed it on TV. From a historical stand point, I don't know that there is anyone who has done more for this industry than Ric Flair. If I were to meet him, I have no doubts I would weep like a baby. There is something about him that makes him larger than life to me. He always has been, and always will be. It's been said before, and I will certainly say it again, "Diamonds are forever, and so is Ric Flair! Woooooooo!"

Destor
11-30-2006, 01:41 AM
As posted in WWKD?'s thread a few months back:

Top 20 WWE:

20.CM Punk
19.Greg Helms
18.Shelton Benjimin
17.Rey Mysterio
16.William Regal
15.Chris Benoit
14.Ken Kennedy
13.Batista
12.Undetaker
11.Carlito
10.John Cena
9.Sabu
8.Randy Orton
7.Edge
6.Rob Van Dam
5.Big Show
4.HBK
3.Booker T
2.Finley
1.Triple H

Top 20 TNA:

20.AJ Styles
19.Raven
18.Chris Sabin
17.James Storm
16.Chris Harris
15.Alex Shelly
14.Eric Young
13.Kipp James
12.B.G. James
11.Abyss
10.Rhyno
9.Senshi
8.D-Von
7.Bubba Ray
6.Christian
5.Jeff Jarrett
4.Chris Daniels
3.Samoa Joe
2.Sting
1.Kurt Angle

Top 20 Indy:

20.Destor :shifty:
19.Super Dragon
18.Kevin Steen
17.Mark Brisco
16.CIMA
15.Naomichi Marufuji
14.Delerious
13.Austin Aries
12.Ace Steel
11.Jay Brisco
10.Charles Evans
9.Brent Albright
8.Chris Hero
7.Bradly Jay
6.Kobiashi
5.Chet the Jet
4.KENTA
3.Brandon Walker
2.Colt Cabanna
1.American Dragon

Top 20 America:

20.Sabu
19.Chet the Jet
18.KENTA
17.Christain
16.Jeff Jarrett
15.Brandon Walker
14.Randy Orton
13.Edge
12.Colt Cabanna
11.Rob Van Dam
10.The Big Show
9.Chris Daniels
8.HBK
7.American Dragon
6.Samoa Joe
5.Sting
4.Booker T
3.Finley
2.Triple H
1.Kurt Angle (he will always be at the top of any list for me)

All scores are judged by this and in this order: 1)work rate 2) drawing power 3) success (title wins and the like.)

Top 20 all time based on personal markism:

20. Wahoo McDaniel
19. Too Cold Scorpio
18. Great Sasuke
17. Jushin Liger
16. Bret Hart
15. David "Fit" Finlay
14. Owen Hart
13. Curt Hennig
12. Ted Dibiasie
11. Sting
10. Taz
09. Rob Van Dam
08. Ricky Steamboat
07. Magnum TA
06. Tully Blanchard
05. Chris Benoit
04. Dusty Rhoads
03. Harley Race
02. Kurt Angle
01. Ric Flair

I might go into further detail as to why I like them at some point.

Jaton
11-30-2006, 01:44 AM
I thought you said we can use steroids.

The One
11-30-2006, 01:45 AM
...if JamesSteele were in this thread we'd have ourselves a little Forum Horsemen Reunion. :yes:

Destor
11-30-2006, 01:47 AM
http://www.geocities.com/j4t0n/169.jpg

The One
11-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I never liked how the "O" in One was lower case.

Jaton
11-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Oh man, I forgot about that. Heh, I was such a gfx noob back then.

Jaton
11-30-2006, 01:58 AM
By the way, I told you guys that the FH should reform!

Destor
11-30-2006, 02:01 AM
That would involve changing avatars and that just can't happen. I fear that Trips might turn off the animated gifs again.

The One
11-30-2006, 02:01 AM
Nah, like all internet gimmicks, they're fun for like a week, and then nature kills them off. It's the circle of life.

What Would Kevin Do?
11-30-2006, 02:02 AM
Here's mine, from that aforementioned thread... It also goes up to 20. Deal with it.

Top 20 in the World... Over the past year

My list is based primarly on relative work rate and relative success (wins/losses, drawing power, company worth, etc). I say relative as you really can't compare WWE guys to other feds in workrate or drawing power to other guys directly...

Anywho...

#1. "American Dragon" Brian Danielson. - This may seem like a fanboyism, ROH bot answer, but a strong arguement can be made that he is one of, if not the best wrestler in the world today. Over the past year, he has put on tons of great matches, had multiple 60 minute matches (against Samoa Joe, Nigel McGuiness, Roderick Strong, and Colt Cabana), fought and beat a returning Lance Storm, unified the ROH World and Pure title, got a one on one win against KENTA, AND a little less than a year ago, he beat Marufuji, who is currently the GHC World Champion. Plus, if you like wrestling, the man is never a bore to watch, and has a wide array of moves that don't get tiring to watch.

#2 Rob Van Dam - The man has had a great year until he fucked it up, and he hasn't lost much steam even after he did. He dethroned Cena, beat Edge, beat Randy Orton, beat Kurt Angle, and he did it in the span of a few weeks. Plus he's had great matches with both Test and Hardcore Holly.

#3 Kurt Angle

#4 TIE Shawn Micheals/HHH

#6 Kenta Kobashi - The man is amazing, and he beat cancer. He's had better years, but I'd find it difficult not to have him in my top 10.

#7 Samoa Joe - He's a huge player in America's 2nd and third largest wrestling companies, he's over with the fans, he's awesome, and there were "talks" of him fighting Jun Akiyama, and at the time, possibly for the GHC World Title.

#8 TIE Naomichi Marufuji/KENTA - I have a hard time deciding who to like more on this one... Both have had great years. Maru should get the vote here since he did win the GHC world title, however, KENTA has had a great year in both NOAH and ROH.

#10 Giant Bernard - What? Prince Albert? You're shitting me... No, I'm not. THe man has had great matches this year with Tanahashi, Yugi Nagata, Tenazn, and even Lesnar. This man IS the monster Gaijin overseas right now. If he keeps up his style, and keeps putting the effort into it, I think within a few years it won't be that out there to make Bernard/Vader comparisons.

#11 Minoru Suzuki - Triple Crown champion, and one of the best heels today. Plus, the guy can go, and has some badass fucking hair :)

#12 Finlay - The man is bringing style back to the WWE, is over despite being screwed over by gimmicky ideas, and has had a damn good year

#13 Hiroshi Tanahashi

#14 Hiroyoshi Tenzan

#15 TIE CIMA/Naruki Doi

#17 Nigel McGuiness

# 18 Homicide

#19 Colt Cabana

#20 Voodoo Murders.... - yes, I know that's actual a stable, but come on, if you know who they are, you can't argue against this.

Blitz
11-30-2006, 02:20 AM
I would like to replace JamesSteele in the Forum Horseman.

Jeritron
11-30-2006, 02:21 AM
I guess I'll give my favorite top 10 of all time, based on how well they've entertained me.

10. Bret Hart
9. Kurt Angle
8. Undertaker circa 98
7. Triple H
6. RVD
5. Shawn Michaels
4. Mick Foley
3. The Rock
2. Austin
1. Chris Jericho

That didnt take much thought, but I could go a lot further than top 10, I could probably do a top 50 in a heartbeat.

Impact!
11-30-2006, 04:03 AM
Past: 1989- 2001 (The year I was born through to the year I started watching/Also not currently competing regurly (sp?))
10. DDP
9. Tazz
8. Bret Hart
7. Mick Foley
6. Goldberg
5. Scott Hall
4. Chris Jericho
3. Eddie Guerrero
2. The Rock
1. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Present
10. Christian
9. Raven
8. Christopher Daniels
7. Chris Benoit
6. Kevin Nash
5. CM Punk
4. Kurt Angle
3. Colt Cobana
2. Jeff Hardy
1. RVD

All Time:
10. Colt Cobana
9. Mick Foley
8. Kevin Nash
7. Chris Benoit
6. Chris Jericho
5. Eddie Guerrero
4. Jeff Hardy
3. RVD
2. The Rock
1. Steve Austin

wag2k
11-30-2006, 08:57 AM
my top ten and i've only been watching for a few years
this is the order they have entertained me

10. Christian
9. Edge
8. JBL
7. Rey Mysterio
6. Dudley Boyz
5. Triple H
4. Ric Flair
3. Undertaker
2. HBK
1. Eddie Guerrero

El Fangel
11-30-2006, 09:02 AM
10 - Eddie Guerrero
9 - Edge
8 - Christian
7 - Triple H
6- The Rock
5 - Jericho
4 - Undertaker
3 - Angle
2 - Benoit
1 - Christopher Daniels

Rammsteinmad
11-30-2006, 09:21 AM
1. Chris Benoit
2. Chris Jericho
3. Rob Van Dam
4. CM Punk
5. Shawn Michaels
6. Kurt Angle
7. Test
8. Sting
9. Sean O'Haire
10. Christopher Daniels

addy2hotty
11-30-2006, 12:32 PM
I've never done one of these before, so let me elaborate for a change.

Addy's Top 10 WWE 'Entities'.

1. Chris Jericho

No brainer for me, the wrestler that made me laugh the most and the first that got me jumping out of my seat while watching wrestling (when he beat Chyna for the IC title, although my girlfriend of the time was there cheering her on, the thought remains). His ability on the mic and in the ring, as a heel or face and the fact that he's the only, and only ever FIRST UNDISPUTED CHAMPION leaves a necessary mark on Wrestling history that he deserves.

2. Eddie Guerrero

Only the 2nd wrestler to make me jump out of my seat, I feel sad that I could never have seen his early stuff in ECW due to the fact that it was hardly on in the UK. My fondest memory of Eddie is seeing him in person at a UK House Show event where he faced some UK jobber and lost in a tournament (while on his WWE 'break'), he played the heel and did it well. I said at the time, 'he will be back in the WWE within a month' and he was. The Guerrero's Lie Cheat & Steal Angle, now used atrociously by Cryme Time was some of the WWE's best ever stuff. Lastl, despite the moral implications of the current storylines involving him and his wife, it speaks volumes for the man that the WWE cannot plug the hole he's left.

3. D-Generation X

DX was my life for a while as a school kid. Crotch chops to teachers, during sports matches, telling people to suck it, it was cool to be a degenerate. I always preferred Version 2 to the original Michaels/Hunter pairing, maybe becuase they were more anti-hero than the original. Will always have fond memories of their early feud with Vince's Corporation, the non-turn by the New Age Outlaws, and how even X-Pac was pretty great during those times.

4. Steve Austin

I've never been one to follow the crowd and like someone just because it's cool to do so. But with Austin, it was hard not to get behind him. The Vince/Austin feud is and forever will be unparalleled in anything the WWE do. They reach for it so much with the likes of Cena, but sadly don't even come close. Austin had it all, but I liked him most just before he switched sides in the Invasion angle. As a comedy heel, Austin was funny as hell. The best Austin moment for me was his unannounced return during the Rock/Mankind WWE title match. He'd been away 2 months or something and the crowd went beserk. Unbeatable moment and one the likes of Cena/Batista can only dream of.

5. The Rock

I didn't like the Rock towards the end of his WWE time, too many title runs to my liking. He was best as the one chasing the title as a face, and almost getting there but not quite. Amazing on the mic (but not quite as good as some say), and pretty good in the ring, it's hard to believe that one silly elbow drop would bring him the success he got. He really was one-of-a-kind, like Austin, but what Rocky had that Austin didn't was the superhero aura. A vastly talented man that the WWE has never really recovered the loss of, that speaks volumes for him.

6. Scott Hall

Razor Ramon was the first wrestler that I could really say I 'marked' out for. Not being able to see WCW, when he returned to the WWE I was going out of my mind. The short angle he had with Austin was pretty well done (moreso than a lot say) and although he was pretty much crushed in his match at WM18, I honestly thought that he would someway become WWE Champ within a year. Didn't sadly happen, but he entertained the hell out of me both as the 'bad guy' and as the 'hey yo' in the WWE.

7. The Corporate Ministry

The Corporate Ministry scared the hell out of me. Their entrance music, the amount of people, the lighting when the came to the ring. I thought it was great. Undertaker/Trips/Vince all in the same stable, it had great potential that sadly wasn't used to its full. I was quite sad that it had ended, although seeing the Acolytes face Undertaker the day after it did, was weird. I'll never forget the moment that Vince revealed himself as the 'higher power'. A shock moment to say the least.

8. The Undertaker

Another that, as a 10 year old, scared the life out of me. In my infancy 'its real' days, I remember truely believing that a dead man could wrestle. And when he destroyed the Texas Tornado a week before Survivor Series 1991, I thought that he'd do the same to Hogan. As a face dead man, he got amazing reactions, none moreso at Wrestlemania 8, but I started going off him at this point. The Ministry Of Darkness brought him back to the forefront of my thoughts and the Stephanie wedding scene was another moment I won't forget in a while. I just hope his Wrestlemania streak never ends, each sport(s entertainment) needs a legacy, and Mark Calloway deserves one for his unmoving loyalty to the WWE.

9. Vince McMahon

The best heel, probably in WWE history (go ahead, argue it with me), the guy was as good on camera as he was off it. During the best days of the WWE, no-one would slate Vince for being on TV, his promos were great, he barked at the audience (SHUTTTT UP!) better than anyone else I can remember. My favorite ever promo by him (and if anyone has it PLEASE LET ME KNOW!) was one in which he announced he wanted a divorce from his wife. Standing on crutches, shouting and barking at the crowd (shut up while im talking), I remember literally being in tears of laughter. His feud with Austin, as I've unparallelled, but the face is only as good as the heel he's up against. Vince was awesome. No matter the state of the WWE today, i'll always thank Vince for the era 1998 - 2002.

10. Christian

Should really be higher up my list, but as I can't be bothered to rearrange it, I'll put him here. Christian was the last wrestler I really 'got into'. He could have been my new Jericho, but never got the chance. He was the first wrestler since god knows that I started reciting his catchphrase in general conversation. As a 22 year old. I copied his stupid mannerisms while out drinking and I do that 'lookng into the distance' thing he does when I DJ. The ball was truely dropped with Christian. He was good at whatever he did. As a member of The Brood, he was quietly effective, in E&C he was the man ion the mic and better than Edge. As the jealous brother, as the temper tantrum throwing disciple of DDP, he even made that entertaining. 'Thats how I Roll' should have made him a star, and I remember marking out (the last time I did) like crazy when he came down to confront Cena when he made his Raw debut. Jay Reso would never have been a Rock, but he could have been bigger than Cena. Because thats how he rolled.

Caged Heat18
11-30-2006, 12:46 PM
My top ten favorite wrestlers of all time:
10. Billy Kidman
9. Christian
8. Ted Dibiase
7. Paul London
6. Chris Jericho
5. Eddy Guerrero
4. Carlito
3. Rey Mysterio
2. Macho Man Randy Savage
1. Bret Hart

Fox
11-30-2006, 01:43 PM
10. Hollywood Hogan
9. AJ Styles
8. Jeff Hardy
7. The Rock
6. Diamond Dallas Page
5. Chris Jericho
4. Rob Van Dam
3. Rey Mysterio
2. Sting
1. Mick Foley (Cactus Jack, Mankind, Dude Love)