PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Marks know?

The One
12-16-2006, 01:36 AM
The way WWE self promotes itself, you'd think they were at the peak of their popularity. And certainly most people don't bother with stats on ratings. And for the most part Marks seem to eat up the shit shoveled in their faces. But for the remaining fans of WWE, who are neither children or internet savy, do you think they realise that Pro Wrestling lost the "cool" label like 5 years ago? I don't know. There was a time were someone could make a "Oh Hell Yeah" coupled with flipping the bird and everyone got it and went along with it. I don't think you can do a "You Can't See Me!" with the hand gesture and get the normal non-wrestling fan to aknowledge you as anything more than a slightly retarded individual. So, I pose the question...what percentage of the marks ages 15-25 do you think are blissfully unaware that wrestling is no longer "pop culture" and is just back to being "stupid/white trash"?

St. Jimmy
12-16-2006, 01:39 AM
TNA.

El Fangel
12-16-2006, 01:39 AM
90%, the same amount that became aware and stopped watching.

Funky Fly
12-16-2006, 02:05 AM
1998, I got so many wolfpac hand signals in Vegas when I wore my Wolfpac shirt that my mom thought I'd joined a gang. :rofl:

Wrestling will never be that good again. :(

El Fangel
12-16-2006, 02:07 AM
You have to keep the dream alive Funky, don't let it die.

Chavo Classic
12-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Back in 1999, Wrestling was cool for a short six month period in the UK. Everyone knew who the Rock, Stone Cold and the Undertaker were and you'd see the occassional wrestling shirt also.

Currently, if I see a wrestling shirt its meant to be one of those ironic or retro things like one of those trendy Ramones tees or mullet haircut. In other words, it's not intentionally cool.

I probably know about three guys who still watch wrestling, compared to six years ago whenever every guy my age knew what a stone cold stunner was. And of these three guys I talk to, only one watches WWE, and even then it's not regularly.

Xero
12-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Gotta go with Jimmy. The exact percentage is TNA%.

Kane Knight
12-16-2006, 09:56 AM
I think the marks know. look at the number of people who wear wrestling Tees publically these days. Down. Nobody, not even marks, seem to want to advertise. Except for a very small number of kids and "Eugenes."

redoneja
12-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh yea, they definitely know. I know alot of guys who will say they used to watch when they were little kids(around the end of Hogan's years in WWE) and then again in middle school/junior high(Attitude Era). It's like the whole "New Generation" didn't even happen for them.

Just John
12-16-2006, 03:13 PM
I know some 15 year old kid who still thinks its all real.

Jordan
12-16-2006, 05:26 PM
The first time I stopped watching Raw was the winter after Raw moved to Spike TV for the first time... It just really really sucked. I stopped watching wrestling all together then, picked up later the next year.

Dorkchop
12-16-2006, 07:09 PM
1998, I got so many wolfpac hand signals in Vegas when I wore my Wolfpac shirt that my mom thought I'd joined a gang. :rofl:

People pretty much did that to me too, when I wore my Wolfpac shirt. It was awesome.

I agree that wrestling will never be that good again. Well never say never, but it's not hapening anytime soon.

The One
12-16-2006, 07:17 PM
The nWo was HUGE! Bigger than wrestling. Hell I remember people would through nWo parties, people who didn't even watch wrestling would throw them and come to them. The nWo was one of the few things that totally went beyond the entire industry.

Kane Knight
12-16-2006, 08:04 PM
People used to buy nWo merch having never watched the programming, so yeah. That's pretty incredible.

The One
12-16-2006, 08:08 PM
It didn't hurt that Ted threw the nWo stuff everywhere he could and convinced Leno to aknowledge them...still...incredible.

Kane Knight
12-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Still, this'd be like the Aryan nation wearing Snoop Dogg T-Shirts.

El Fangel
12-16-2006, 10:54 PM
I know some 15 year old kid who still thinks its all real.
Waits for Skippord to make a comment.

El Fangel
12-16-2006, 10:55 PM
I think the marks know. look at the number of people who wear wrestling Tees publically these days. Down. Nobody, not even marks, seem to want to advertise. Except for a very small number of kids and "Eugenes."
Waits for CC to comment.
betcha he will tell me to stfu.

Mr. Nerfect
12-16-2006, 11:35 PM
To be perfectly honest, I think the ones that doubt the coolness of professional wrestling are smarks. So to answer your question, no, I don't believe marks realise the WWE is not cool.

Random note: I don't think TNA fans believe for a minute that wrestling is cool. I think they believe that TNA is the answer to the industry's problem, but I don't think they think they're being watched by millions upon millions of people every week.

Kane Knight
12-16-2006, 11:37 PM
To be perfectly honest, I think the ones that doubt the coolness of professional wrestling are smarks. So to answer your question, no, I don't believe marks realise the WWE is not cool.

Which is why they go around spouting catchphrases and buying the merch to wear.

Mr. Nerfect
12-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Which is why they go around spouting catchphrases and buying the merch to wear.

I didn't say there were many marks left.

The One
12-17-2006, 12:11 AM
So...I still ask...what percentage of the marks do you think are blissfully unaware that wrestling is nerdy again?

Mr. Nerfect
12-17-2006, 12:18 AM
So...I still ask...what percentage of the marks do you think are blissfully unaware that wrestling is nerdy again?

~90%

The other rough 10% probably just don't care, and think that caring is what allows people to fail, and why the world sucks.

The One
12-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Fair enough.

Kane Knight
12-17-2006, 09:57 AM
I didn't say there were many marks left.

Apparently, there are now 10. Everyone else is a smark.

Mr. Nerfect
12-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Apparently, there are now 10. Everyone else is a smark.

The WWE sells more than 10 shirts a year. Especially to the younger kids.

Kane Knight
12-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I suspect you're lying.

Stickman
12-18-2006, 02:21 PM
I've always wanted the NWO t shirt.

Just John
12-18-2006, 02:46 PM

That is fucking sweet. :y:

Why wasn't I old enough to be a part of this? :'(

Pepsi Man
12-20-2006, 03:32 AM
My brother-in-law I wouldn't even fully classify as a mark, and he doesn't seem to really get it.