PDA

View Full Version : August 7, 2004 - ROH - Austin Aries vs American Dragon 2/3 Falls

Destor
12-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Ring of Honor. Philadelphia. August 8th, 2004. Testing the Limit. Bryan Danielson. Austin Aries. Two Out Of Three Falls. Everyone knew it'd be good. Nobody knew just how good. The word epic doesn?t fit any other modern wrestling match better as this match really does show endurance wrestling, and wrestling in general, at its best.
That sums this match quite well. 80 minute match and wow was it brilliant. I haven't been this into a match in years. I had heard for the longest time how good it was, but I never expected that. Simply amazing. It's matches like these that make me remember why I'm a wrestling fan. I'm seriously in awe right now.

For the RoH fans on this board: are there any RoH matches better than this?

(I'm uploading this now btw. If any one is interested just say the word.)

The Fugitive
12-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I'll be very interested.

James Steele
12-29-2006, 11:55 AM
the word

I haven't seen much RoH. I have seen their shoot tapes, but I don't like indy stuff because the crowd is annoying or the announcers suck.

Destor
12-29-2006, 11:57 AM
(Punk commentates this match.)

The Fugitive
12-29-2006, 12:05 PM
And the fans? Are they chanting 'This is awesome' at a chop?

ron the dial
12-29-2006, 12:13 PM
This match is fucking awesome, no doubt. Easily one of the best in ROH's brief history. Check out Danielson and London's 2 out of 3 falls match at Epic Encounter if you liked that match.

Destor
12-29-2006, 12:15 PM
They're actually fairly subdued. Similar to a Japanese crowd. A few dueling chants through out the match (maybe three in the 80 minute contest) but no. They are not a TNA crowd.

I do have to say though if you aren't into 80's (maybe even more 70's) style wrestling just ignore this and move on with your business, this won't be for you.

Destor
12-29-2006, 12:17 PM
This match is fucking awesome, no doubt. Easily one of the best in ROH's brief history. Check out Danielson and London's 2 out of 3 falls match at Epic Encounter if you liked that match.Watched it last week actually. No where near this match. (Though I'd see more people on this board preferring it I just like the methodical style of this match more.) Still though, thanks for the suggestion. :y:

James Steele
12-29-2006, 12:18 PM
They're actually fairly subdued. Similar to a Japanese crowd. A few dueling chants through out the match (maybe three in the 80 minute contest) but no. They are not a TNA crowd.

I do have to say though if you aren't into 80's (maybe even more 70's) style wrestling just ignore this and move on with your business, this won't be for you.

I loved Terry Funk's Best Of Japan 1970s DVD. That count?

Destor
12-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Yes, the Funker was the definition of a technical wrestler back then, he brought the same thing to the table that Am Dragon and Aries do here.

Impact!
12-29-2006, 11:36 PM
The word

The Fugitive
12-29-2006, 11:59 PM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="70%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat>vBulletin Message</TD></TR><TR><TD class=panelsurround align=middle><!-- main error message -->You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Destor again.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Innovator
12-30-2006, 12:41 AM
For a change of pace with Aries, watch Aries vs. Joe from Final Battle 2004

For what wrestling should be like in 10 years, Do Fixer vs. Blood Generation Supercard of Honor, or Blood Generation vs. Generation Next from 3/30

For more Dragon, him vs. KENTA, Dragon vs. Roderick (either Vendetta or Supercard of Honor), Dragon vs. Nigel McGuinness from Unified, and Dragon vs. Marufuji from Final Battle 2005

For just plain awesome matches, Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi from ... Joe vs. Kobashi, Low Ki vs. KENTA from Final Battle 2005, Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley from Manhattan Mayhem, ROH vs. CZW 6 man brawl from the 100th Show, and Cage of Death from Death Before Dishonor IV

Destor
12-30-2006, 12:59 AM
For a change of pace with Aries, watch Aries vs. Joe from Final Battle 2004

For what wrestling should be like in 10 years, Do Fixer vs. Blood Generation Supercard of Honor, or Blood Generation vs. Generation Next from 3/30

For more Dragon, him vs. KENTA, Dragon vs. Roderick (either Vendetta or Supercard of Honor), Dragon vs. Nigel McGuinness from Unified, and Dragon vs. Marufuji from Final Battle 2005

For just plain awesome matches, Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi from ... Joe vs. Kobashi, Low Ki vs. KENTA from Final Battle 2005, Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley from Manhattan Mayhem, ROH vs. CZW 6 man brawl from the 100th Show, and Cage of Death from Death Before Dishonor IVI've seen alot of that.

The ones I've haven't:

Aries vs. Joe from Final Battle 2004
Blood Generation vs. Generation Next from 3/30
Dragon vs. Nigel McGuinness from Unified
Austin Aries vs. Alex Shelley from Manhattan Mayhem
ROH vs. CZW 6 man brawl from the 100th Show
Cage of Death from Death Before Dishonor IV

All of wich I will watch post haste. But my question remains, iyo, is there a better match than this in RoH?

Blitz
12-30-2006, 01:52 AM
Fuck, I will upload Do Fixer vs Blood Generation right now. Everyone should see that match.

Blitz
12-30-2006, 02:22 AM
Do Fixer/Blood Generation.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dynmiwmznhz

The Fugitive
12-30-2006, 02:24 AM
All of wich I will watch post haste. But my question remains, iyo, is there a better match than this in RoH?

The Tag Scramble Cage Match from Main Event Spectacles... >.>

The One
12-30-2006, 02:29 AM
I need to know from you RoH people...there is only one RoH match that I am really interested in seeing; CM Punk vs. Christopher Daniels for the Title, and yet I have heard shockingly little about it. Is it worth the cost of buying the DVD?

The Fugitive
12-30-2006, 03:24 AM
Right, finally got through watching this match between Aries and Dragon.

It was a good match and fun to watch, but it didn't leave me in awe. It almost felt like there was something missing from the match to make it exciting.

CYCLOPTERSAURUS
12-30-2006, 04:14 AM
the word.

What Would Kevin Do?
12-30-2006, 10:52 AM
I was there for Blood Gen Vs Gen Next. Damn great match. At the time, I was so into it it was unbelievable.

Innovator
12-30-2006, 01:43 PM
I need to know from you RoH people...there is only one RoH match that I am really interested in seeing; CM Punk vs. Christopher Daniels for the Title, and yet I have heard shockingly little about it. Is it worth the cost of buying the DVD?It was good, but people don't give it a lot of hype because most people figured they would do a draw.

CM Punk vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Samoa Joe vs. James Gibson was a real good match from Redemption, if you want to see Daniels and Punk interact.

Mr. Monday Morning
12-31-2006, 08:39 AM
That sums this match quite well. 80 minute match and wow was it brilliant. I haven't been this into a match in years. I had heard for the longest time how good it was, but I never expected that. Simply amazing. It's matches like these that make me remember why I'm a wrestling fan. I'm seriously in awe right now.

For the RoH fans on this board: are there any RoH matches better than this?

(I'm uploading this now btw. If any one is interested just say the word.)

Obviously 'better' is a subjective term :o It depends on what you're looking for, I'm assuming you're just referring to singles matches and since this is Aries and Dragon you're looking for more technical stuff, no?

I did have a list somewhere of all the matches I've really liked from the shows that I've seen but I lost it :$ If I can put it together again I'll put it up in a little while

Destor
12-31-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm asking if YOU think there is a better match from RoH than this and if so what is/are they. So I can hunt them down and watch them. So clearly I am aware that better is completely subjective.

Mr. Monday Morning
12-31-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't want to be mocked for having a different opinion :(

Destor
12-31-2006, 09:11 AM
I just want to see good wrestling man. HOOK ME UP. Tell what you think is worth while and I'll check it out. Tell me is this the best, if not what do you feel is, I'm a very open guy when it comes to wrestling.

Lara Emily
12-31-2006, 10:16 AM
the word

Mr. Monday Morning
12-31-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm just messin' playa.

K, going through the past results, these are matches I remember liking when I saw them. Time might have altered my perception on them somewhat, and will definitely have diminished some of the older stuff, and I've no idea how many of these you've seen or have/will have access to, but here ya go:

Low Ki vs Christopher Daniels vs American Dragon (Era of Honor Begins)
American Dragon vs Low Ki (Round Robin Challenge)
Paul London vs Michael Shane (Unscripted) - this is one of those where it probably hasn't held up very well
American Dragon vs Doug Williams (Scramble Madness)
Paul London vs American Dragon (Epic Encounter)
Paul London vs Samoa Joe (Death Before Dishonor)
Samoa Joe vs Jay Briscoe (At Our Best)
CM Punk vs Samoa Joe (World Title Classic)
CM Punk vs Samoa Joe (Joe vs Punk II)
American Dragon vs Spanky (Best of American Super Juniors)
Austin Aries vs Alex Shelley (Manhattan Mayhem)
CM Punk vs Roderick Strong (Escape From New York)
Aries/Strong/Sydal vs Shelley/Rave/Abyss (Redemption)
American Dragon vs James Gibson (Glory By Honor IV)
Alex Shelley vs Claudio Castagnoli (This Means War)
American Dragon vs Roderick Strong (Vendetta)
American Dragon vs Rocky Romero (Steel Cage Warfare)
American Dragon vs AJ Styles (Dissension)
American Dragon vs Jimmy Rave (4th Anniversary)
American Dragon vs Alex Shelley (Arena Warfare)
Strong/Evans vs Briscoes (Best In The World)
CIMA/Doi/Yoshino vs Aries/Strong/Evans (Dragon Gate Challenge)
Styles/Sydal vs Aries/Evans (Supercard of Honor)
Dragon Kid/Horiguchi/Saito vs CIMA/Doi/Yoshino (")
Hero/Butcher/Super Dragon vs Joe/Pearce/Whitmer (100th Show)
American Dragon vs Nigel McGuinness (Weekend of Champions Night 2)
Nigel McGuinness vs Jay Lethal (Ring of Homicide)
American Dragon vs Delirious (")
Homicide vs Chris Hero (In Your Face)
KENTA vs Roderick Strong (Throwdown)
KENTA vs Austin Aries (Chi-Town Struggle)
Nigel McGuiness vs Roderick Strong (Death Before Dishonor IV)
Team ROH vs Team CZW (")
American Dragon vs Nigel McGuinness (Generation Now)
American Dragon vs Samoa Joe (Fight of the Century)
Aries/Strong vs Briscoes (Unified)
American Dragon vs Nigel McGuinness (")
Briscoes vs Sydal/Richards (Anarchy In The UK)
American Dragon vs Nigel McGuinness (Epic Encounter II)
Naomichi Marafuji vs Nigel McGuinness (Glory By Honor V Night 2)
American Dragon vs KENTA (")

That takes you up to September 06. I haven't really seen anything past that yet, and there's a lot more stuff on the list from 05-06 mainly because that's what I can remember easiest and it'll probably be easier to track down. But yeah, there you go. Some of the stuff, like the Dragon - McGuinness series, is probably worth watching in order if you can to see how the matches evolve.

Blitz
01-01-2007, 04:42 AM
the word
Bird.

Jonster
01-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Word the.

Russenmafia
01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
how would I be able to view this match.

DaBrasko
01-04-2007, 10:35 PM