PDA

View Full Version : System Restore

Cactus Sid
02-16-2004, 09:41 AM
Just wondering, but when you do a System Restore, do you lose MP3's and Programs?

DS
02-16-2004, 11:17 AM
I believe it will. A system restore is a point in which you, or your computer, have made a save. From there it will go back to exactly how your computer was at that save. So if you're wanting to do a system restore I would make a backup before you do so if you don't like it you can just go back to how you had it.

Cactus Sid
02-16-2004, 03:29 PM
So how do I go about backing up, without burning to a CD (one of the reasons I wanna do the restore, because I know when it stopped working properly) also, can't you save stuff to your My Documents so it doesn't get deleted?

DS
02-16-2004, 04:08 PM
To make a restore point in case you want to go back just go to:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

When it loads chose "Create a restore point"

I'm not sure about the My Documents thing though. Try searching google is all I can suggest.

Cactus Sid
02-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Cheers, I tried it earlier, but it didn't have the desired effect.

The big problem is right now, is I have no way what so ever of sorting my pc out, I can't restore past December 24th, when it still wasn't working, I can't back anything up because XP Home doesn't have Backup, and I can't install it because we didn't get the actual XP CD when we bought the PC, and to go with that my CD R/W isn't working so I can't write anything to it so I can't format.

Mike the Metal Ed
02-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Cheers, I tried it earlier, but it didn't have the desired effect.

The big problem is right now, is I have no way what so ever of sorting my pc out, I can't restore past December 24th, when it still wasn't working, I can't back anything up because XP Home doesn't have Backup, and I can't install it because we didn't get the actual XP CD when we bought the PC, and to go with that my CD R/W isn't working so I can't write anything to it so I can't format.

How about online storage?

Cactus Sid
02-16-2004, 05:04 PM
How about online storage?

Where can you get it? How much are you allowed to store? How much does it cost? (If anything)

Mike the Metal Ed
02-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Where can you get it? How much are you allowed to store? How much does it cost? (If anything)

Dazz told me about www.doneasy.com haven't check it out properly though. He says its free.

Dazz
02-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, but you can only store 10megs per account. Thats like 2 or 3 mp3s.

Cactus Sid
02-19-2004, 04:59 AM
Cheers for the help, my pc's working ok now, but the CD Re-Writer is still fu</>cked, so we'll probably have to call someone out.

Watson
02-20-2004, 02:01 AM
Just wondering, but when you do a System Restore, do you lose MP3's and Programs?

I have Gateway Goback which is the same thing as System Restore and when my PC gets screwy I use it and it doesn't delete my 800+ MP3s. So don't go further back in time than your last downloads of MP3s or you'll lose those. But if you don't go back further than your last MP3 down you shouldn't lose any at all.

Vietnamese Crippler
02-20-2004, 03:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't lose files when you do a system restore :-\

Although I can't be too sure about programs :|