PDA

View Full Version : Decent cooling fan for the 360?

Kane Knight
01-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Anyone got any suggestions?

Disturbed316
01-09-2007, 08:06 AM
http://console.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA5MiwxLCxoY29uc29sZQ==

Comparing the two available ones, I personally have the Nyko one and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Kane Knight
01-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Fuck's sake, there are only two available?

Mister Sinister
01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah, Sadly there is only two, I have the Nyko one as well, and it hasn't caused me no trouble.

D Mac
01-09-2007, 02:07 PM
http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/27/nykos-intercooler-causes-problems-for-xbox-360/

http://www.roosterteeth.com/forum/viewTopic.php?id=2199558

After hearing this I trashed my Nyko. Just to be safe. I'm not paying 400 bucks and have it ruined.

G
01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
fans are a waste of money

just my .02

Kalyx triaD
01-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Gotta be honest, I only had the over-heat 'freeze' thing happen to me once and with a minor adjustment, never dealt with it again. Give the console air and it should go for any marathon you give it. That's how I go about it.

D Mac
01-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Mine freezes every once and a while. But it did it when I had the cooler too, so...

Kane Knight
01-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Heat is always bad with electronics. I haven't dealt with these freezing problems (Game froze once), but I know electronics, and I know how bad heat can be for any unit. The kind of heat it kicks off is realy frightening, not because of any freezing I've actually experienced, but because of the performance and hardware issues that can ensue. I know MS has said they experience an extremely low failure rate, but that really doesn't comfort me (Since they've said the same things about issues on computers that required mass recalls, etc).

ClockShot
01-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I heard that the coolers that are out are 50/50. Some people say they work great, others say they trash your system. I just play for an hour or two, let it cool, and start up again.

Kane Knight
01-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I heard that the coolers that are out are 50/50. Some people say they work great, others say they trash your system. I just play for an hour or two, let it cool, and start up again.

Mine's pretty hot by the time I've played for about an hour. I'd like to not have to limit it to half-hour sessions. However, I think I'm going to look for an alternative. Perhaps the Laptop cooler mentioned in one of those threads. Or maybe I'll Jury-Rig something

Gerard
01-10-2007, 06:38 PM
I dont really think heat is much of an issue for the 360, the ati chip inside gets really hot, my 2 x1900 cards hit 94-96c (each) under load and work fine, dual core chips underload will also put out a good amount of heat but they are operating within tolerance. Ive yet to have any heating problems with the 360, it gets warm yeah but so does my pc and my wii after a while.

ClockShot
01-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Mine's pretty hot by the time I've played for about an hour. I'd like to not have to limit it to half-hour sessions. However, I think I'm going to look for an alternative. Perhaps the Laptop cooler mentioned in one of those threads. Or maybe I'll Jury-Rig something

If anything dude, just go out and buy an ordinary desk fan and just blow it in back. If you got the space. I would feel more safe with that than something that could completely total your system.

Kane Knight
01-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I dont really think heat is much of an issue for the 360, the ati chip inside gets really hot, my 2 x1900 cards hit 94-96c (each) under load and work fine, dual core chips underload will also put out a good amount of heat but they are operating within tolerance. Ive yet to have any heating problems with the 360, it gets warm yeah but so does my pc and my wii after a while.

My Wii can run for hours and not end up with the same heat that my 360 does. I know it can go for 6 hours and barely be warm.

I think that's like comparing a pappercut to a stab wound, honestly.

Gerard
01-15-2007, 01:48 PM
My Wii can run for hours and not end up with the same heat that my 360 does. I know it can go for 6 hours and barely be warm.

I think that's like comparing a pappercut to a stab wound, honestly.

The wii runs cooler but its also not in the same league as the 360 in terms of hardware. Just about any new graphics card on the pc these days is hitting like 80c+, considering the 360 has a graphics card from ati thats still yet to see its pc counterpart (R600) its not suprising really that it runs hot. The pc version is rumoured to have a cooler thats longer than the card itself becuase of heat. :-\