PDA

View Full Version : Do you play an instrument? Why did you choose this one?

The Naitch
01-21-2007, 04:29 AM
As in all of my passions, past and present, drumming is probably more a result of my personality. In hockey, playing goal is a somewhat solitary position within the context of a team. Same with drumming. I used to say that the similarities between the two made them mutually beneficial to each other. For example, as a goalie/drummer, you always have the most gear to lug, you are set in the rear while the stars are in front. The stance, timing, reflex and the ability to read the play/music/vibe are important. You also are usually regarded as the crazy one in the group. If the team/band sucks, you can still hold them together, if you suck, the team/band sucks. Lastly, you are expected to be able to shake off a puck in the nuts or a beer bottle in the head.

The Naitch
01-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Because i like to lay down the funk.

The Naitch
01-21-2007, 04:35 AM
The drummer is, i feel, the most important person in the band. He ultimate has control over the FEEL of the song. not the sound, just the feel. He takes the speed from the singers, takes the beat from the bassist, and takes the style from the guitarists. He is the glue that makes the band sound come together. Being the person that holds the band together. I can and would play any other instrument, but my first choice will always be the drums. Plus its really fun to play

The Naitch
01-21-2007, 04:36 AM
1. It just feels so good bein' so funky!
2. Girls love drummers :shifty:
3. You get to sit down while the rest of the band has to stand

Kane Knight
01-21-2007, 10:09 AM
What do you call a guy who hangs around with musicians?

...A drummer.

Anyway, I play trombone, guitar, bass, piano, and percussion all to varying degrees of success.

I played trombone because I had few choices when I was younger in terms of what I could play with hands that mirror one another. I've got beter coping mechanisms for that now, so I can work around it somewhat.

I purchased a keyboard for working on music theory homework. It's cheap. A Wal-Mart Casio. It's good enough.

When I was working with a guitarist, the main problem I had was that our drummer was always a no-show. So I picked up a pair of bongos, and played some simple rhythms. I can play more complex stuff on bongos, but not while singing. Roger Taylor, I ain't.

Then I picked up geetar just to play for demos. That and bass.

Practical reasons, all.

Silent
01-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I play guitar, drums, and I like to sing.

I started to play drums because I played a game at an arcade in Santa Cruz with an electric drum kit.. I don't remember what it was called, DrumScape maybe? It was by MTV, and I (crappily) played some songs on that and I was so hooked, I set up a ghetto drumset in my room as soon as I got home, with pillows on my table for cymbals and my chair for a snare drum, and I practiced. Been playing for about 5 and a half years, took lessons for about a year.

Guitar, I'll be honest, I was already into drumming, and I was really into Blink-182 at the time, and I started listening to the guitar really closely and I thought it sounded so cool, so I picked up my dad's guitar and my brother showed me some tablature. 5 years later, I still play every day, never taken a lesson..

And singing, I was writing a lot of songs for my band at the time, and our old singer had to leave because he couldn't stop smoking and his voice would die after 20 minutes, so I decided to fill in for him at a practice and actually enjoyed it more than drumming (it was pretty straightforward metal and it was easy to find a replacement for me) so I stuck with it until we broke up a few months later, but I still sing/write songs..

I wish I could make money off of playing music, but finding a hardcore/metal band in Dawsonville, GA is like finding a Nickelback album in Kane Knight's CD player.

Kane Knight
01-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Finding a drummer, for any style, in Vermont, seems near impossible.

Kane Knight
01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
I actually would take up drums, but I have enough time keeping my hands from copying one another without throwing in foot movements.

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I can get tunes out of the Piano, Mandolin, and Irish Whistle.

I took up the piano as they were offering lessons at my old college and so I decided to take that opportunity. I found it easy to practice and I enjoy playing so I've kept with it. Though, I've been in a rut since July, when I finished college and no longer got lessons. Don't feel like I'm going anywhere with it at the moment. Should search for a new teacher of something.

Mandolin - Chris Thile. Need I say any more?

Irish Whistle - I took it up originally to help with my listening skills. But after 4 months I've still yet to learn anything by ear. I have to say I seem better suited to wind instruments rather than strings though. Far better at the whistle than I am at my mando. lol

I also plan on taking up the Flute sometime this year.

Kane Knight
01-21-2007, 08:33 PM
I fucking love you.

ron the dial
01-21-2007, 11:59 PM
I play the saxophone.

This decision was made because when I signing up for band in fourth grade, we had to test out the mouthpiece on the instrument that we desired to see if we could get a sound. My initial choice was the trumpet, but I couldn't get any noise outside of air passing through it. So sax was my second option, and I had much greater success with that.

I haven't picked the thing up in the last year for varying reasons, but I really should. Just need to go buy some new reeds.

thedamndest
01-22-2007, 01:54 AM
I play guitar. I own a bass, but it has never amounted to any use except for increasing strength and dexterity.

Started because nobody played Magic the Gathering anymore and I needed a hobby.

I'm assuming every kid in America has played the recorder. I'm pretty sure I could still do a sick fucking Hot Cross Buns on that.

The Naitch
01-22-2007, 02:03 AM
I think drumming chose me

I always wanted to do it, but never got around to it because I was caught up in other more realistic career choices. Recently it came knocking on my door again. It is the only thing that feels right and matches my personality.

I used to play trumpet in elementary school

Drumming is cool because you can play with any type of genre (ie rock, jazz, hip-hop etc) as long as you're ready and able to adapt

The Naitch
01-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Keith Moon. Not the best drummer in the world but his backstage antics is what made him popular. I respect that

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-22-2007, 06:59 AM
I fucking love you.

KK, my love for you knows no bounds. :love: :D

Kane Knight
01-22-2007, 09:24 AM
I play the saxophone.

This decision was made because when I signing up for band in fourth grade, we had to test out the mouthpiece on the instrument that we desired to see if we could get a sound. My initial choice was the trumpet, but I couldn't get any noise outside of air passing through it. So sax was my second option, and I had much greater success with that.

I haven't picked the thing up in the last year for varying reasons, but I really should. Just need to go buy some new reeds.

Yeah, the trumpet's mouthpiece is too small for my mouth.

If not for my hands mirroring each other, I'd have been more likely to play sax, because I'm interested in older RnB style rock.

Kane Knight
01-22-2007, 09:33 AM
I play guitar. I own a bass, but it has never amounted to any use except for increasing strength and dexterity.

Started because nobody played Magic the Gathering anymore and I needed a hobby.

I'm assuming every kid in America has played the recorder. I'm pretty sure I could still do a sick fucking Hot Cross Buns on that.

So...Did you write any songs based on Magic? There's a metal-ish band a couple of friends of mine are in that basically just took old D&D ideas and put them to speed metal/grindcore.

Not to be taken too seriously.

ron the dial
01-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah, the trumpet's mouthpiece is too small for my mouth.

If not for my hands mirroring each other, I'd have been more likely to play sax, because I'm interested in older RnB style rock.
Yeah, I love to play it because of jazz. I used to be in a few jazz ensembles, and there's really nothing better than laying down a smooth sax groove.

thedamndest
01-22-2007, 11:08 AM
I wrote one called "Fireball" which was one chord with lots of distortion, then a brief rest, and then I lit my guitar on fire and threw it at my opponent. I felt this symbolized a burn deck well enough, but due to pending lawsuits, I have never performed this song live again.

Silent
01-22-2007, 12:50 PM
So...Did you write any songs based on Magic? There's a metal-ish band a couple of friends of mine are in that basically just took old D&D ideas and put them to speed metal/grindcore.

Not to be taken too seriously.

The singer and drummer from Killswitch used to be in a band called Blood Has Been Shed, that apparently used D&D dice to determine the timing of the songs they were writing. :o

Kane Knight
01-22-2007, 05:11 PM
The singer and drummer from Killswitch used to be in a band called Blood Has Been Shed, that apparently used D&D dice to determine the timing of the songs they were writing. :o

:rofl: That's awesome.

Hornicane
01-22-2007, 10:42 PM
I play bass (obviously). And I fit in pretty well with the (current) bass-player stereotype... I'm kind of the quiet, moody, artsy one in the band. Unfortunately, all of our singers were cocks, and I was the only remaining member that could sing AND play, so I'm the singer now too. But I don't really care for it - it's not my bag.

Bazooka
01-22-2007, 10:47 PM
been playing instruments periodically, not with much focus, but over thee past year I've picked up on bongos, but more so on piano - advanced extremely quick on piano :cool:

Zelda
01-23-2007, 11:53 PM
I played the trumpet as well as a bit of piano. I tried every possible instrument, but the trumpet is stil my favorite one. I had a natural talent for it. What I like about it is that it often plays solos and you just can't miss it.

Since I am not that agile with my fingers, it works perfectly for me because everything is in the lips. I also had the lungs required to play it.

Kane Knight
01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
You have great "lungs."

:love:

(Okay, now I'm even starting to creep myself out).

redoneja
01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
I love music but I haven't been able to turn that in to successful playing on instruments. My girlfriend though plays flute, piano, guitar, bass, trumpet, and trombone, and is picking up clarinet.