PDA

View Full Version : Hannibal Rising (Spoilers)

Blitz
02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Gah, this thing was terrible. This piece of shit is all about Hannibal taking revenge on the Nazis who killed and ate his sister. Yes, you read that right. Tell me something. Why in the name of God do they insist on trying to make Hannibal Lecter, a psychopathic, cannibalistic serial killer, sympathetic. They don't have him kill anyone but bad people, cuz God forbid a serial killer look evil. I would've loved to see that Hannibal had a normal childhood, and somehow developed into a killer. I guess that would've strained Thomas Harris' brain to much to come up with something that complex.

And there's really no jump to murder for him. One minute he's this shy, mute orphan, then suddenly he's a suave, charming (or as close an approximation to charming as the guy who plays him can get) killer. Very little is made of the fact that he's a cannibal as well. You'd think the fact that people killed and ate his sister would dissuade him from cannibalism, but uh-uh. Also, there's the revelation at the end that Hannibal unknowingly ate some of his sister as well. What the fuck?

His Japanese aunt, who he's in love with, is neither horrified nor happy at the fact that he's a killer. She's just really fucking blase about the whole thing. Gaspard Ulliel, who lays Hannibal, is terrible. His accent makes me think he thought this was a parody or something (Can't really blame him, had I read Thomas Harris' joke of a script, I probably would've thought the same thing). The guy's entire acting repertoire seems to consist of smirking and tilting his head downwards to try to look menacing.

And for some reason, they fell the need to work Hannibal's famous mask into his past. Why? Why can't they just accept that it was a visual that became a pop culture icon? Fuck you Thomas Harris. Stop whoring this character out just because you'll never be famous for anything but him.

Oh, and you've gotta love the fact that Hannibal's aunt trained him to be a FUCKING SAMURAI. You'd think that fact might've popped up in one of the other movies.

In closing, fuck you Thomas Harris. :foc:

Funky Fly
02-14-2007, 09:36 PM
lol samurai what?

Sounds like a fucking joke.

Bad Company
02-14-2007, 09:42 PM
LOL, Sounds fucking terrible.

St. Jimmy
02-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Harris phoned this in to pay the Mortgage?

ClockShot
02-14-2007, 09:52 PM
The question I have is this.

How the hell did Gong Li stumble upon this movie?!

Stickman
02-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Wow, that's sound terrible. I was going to go see it but now I'll wait until it's on TV. That's just all makes no sense. The first movie was great, to do this is just retarded.

ron the dial
02-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Looked like shit. Sounds like shit. Probably is shit.

Crimson
02-15-2007, 11:06 PM
I gotta agree with you Blitz. This movie comes nowhere near the first one, even Red Dragon is like 10x better. I didn't care for any of the characters..and the flashbacks on what happened to Hannibal lacked too much info. The asian lady was lame...his transformation into a killer was lame...this movie is lame.

Lock Jaw
02-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Does he scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" at the end when he completes his transformation to the dark side?

YOUR Hero
02-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Jodi Foster was well wise to move away from this series after the first.

Blitz
02-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Indeed.

HeartBreakMan2k
02-18-2007, 09:35 PM
The book was actually pretty good. I had figured it wouldn't translate all that well though.