PDA

View Full Version : Issues with the Wii VC

Dave Youell
02-15-2007, 06:28 AM
So i downloaded Mario World off the VC.

Anyone else found that when they go back to the game via the save file, you lose all of your lives?

Also the gamecube controller is all fucked up for it, I went out to get a classic controller in the end, so it's not the end of the world, as it was a good excuse to get it, but still it's a unplanned expense.

Anyone else found any glitches with any VC games?

Impact!
02-15-2007, 08:24 AM
If you're talking about the old snes Mario World, then even back then saved games would only start you off with three lives. So it's probably normal.

King Jericho
02-15-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm not having trouble, though I don't load up through the save file, I just replay from where I left off.

If there is a problem however and other people experience it, Nintendo will fix it with a update, like they did with Mario Kart 64 on the VC, so look out for that.

Still only a 224 in Bowling. :(

Dave Youell
02-15-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm not having trouble, though I don't load up through the save file, I just replay from where I left off.

If there is a problem however and other people experience it, Nintendo will fix it with a update, like they did with Mario Kart 64 on the VC, so look out for that.

Still only a 224 in Bowling. :(
And as I already told you, my 8 month pregnant girlfriend is better than you at bowling. I can't get near my PB 257 though. You want to come round mine for No Way Out this weekend for some Wii based antics?

Oh and I hate the sand dungeon in Zelda

Dave Youell
02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
If you're talking about the old snes Mario World, then even back then saved games would only start you off with three lives. So it's probably normal.
Are you thinking or Mario World or Mario Land?

I'm on about the Yoshi one (world)

Kane Knight
02-15-2007, 06:06 PM
SMW didn't save your lives with the save file. You always start with the same number, regardless.

Kane Knight
02-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Virtual Console was a great promise not followed up on properly.

Mike the Metal Ed
02-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Virtual Console was a great promise not followed up on properly.

How do you figure that? A good selection of games, with plenty to come. Flawless emulation of the originals, with the added option to start a game where you left off, even if the original didn't allow that.

Dorkchop
02-20-2007, 11:17 PM
How do you figure that? A good selection of games, with plenty to come. Flawless emulation of the originals, with the added option to start a game where you left off, even if the original didn't allow that.

Some haven't emulated flawlessly. Mario Kart 64 has a couple of bugs. If you play 3 player on Moo Moo Farm, the game speeds up. I think Bowser Castle might do that too. I think most games have though.

I think Nintendo is doing a good job with the virtual console. I just can't wait for better games. They have some great games right now, but I've played all the great games so much over the years that I'm pretty much done with them.

I do find it funny how there are only 2 N64 games. Was the 64 really that bad? I pretty much played the THQ/AKI wrestling games on it. I played a lot of other games too, but not nearly as much as wrestling.

I got Donkey Kong Country. God I love that game. I wonder if Goldeneye will be available.

I'm always excited for virtual console Mondays.

Mike the Metal Ed
02-20-2007, 11:32 PM
I believe there's a patch out for Mario Kart 64 that fixes the Moo Moo Farm glitch, I didn't bother to download MK64, so I can't guarantee that myself.

Then there's the ghost data thing, which I'm sure they'll fix as soon as they figure out how.

Also, a big problem with the N64 games, will be the fact that Rare are now Microsoft exclusive. Key N64 games like Perfect Dark, the Banjo series and Conker's Bad Fur Day won't be available as far as I know. (GoldenEye was always going to be a problem due to licensing issues regardless of Rare.)

Then, of course, there's the fact that N64 games cost 1,000 points, so they may be wary of flooding the Virtual Console with too many at a time.

PapaGeorgio
02-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Figure people want more of the older games, not as much N64. Plus price factor, and you'll need a non-wii remote controller to play 64 games. Plus a lot of the classic 64 games that come to mind for me would probably has some liscensing issues, especially wrestling ones. But yeah, I'm loving the VC. Also incase you didn't know Nintendo released a patch for MK64. Pretty sure you find it in the VC title list, as if you were to just purchase MK64. Sometimes I find myself playing VC games more than actual Wii games. Shame the suck so much, posted info bout getting free wii points. One is supposedly on the way being shipped. As I said in that post I'll let you guys know if I actually get it. You can find info on that in Wii Friend Codes topic, don't want to spam the topics with all the info, also apparently don't want to make new paragraphs.

Funky Fly
02-20-2007, 11:56 PM
So does the Wii have a hard drive or are we still doing the memory card thing?

PapaGeorgio
02-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Wii has about 512mbs of space. I'm sure someone will correct me on that but it is roughly around that. That is space for saves and downloads of VC games. It also has a scandisk port you can use as well. So you can buy a 2 gig card for that if you need the space. Not much space, but their is some oh Sir of Funk.

Funky Fly
02-21-2007, 01:36 AM
So how big is a Snes game or 64 game?

PapaGeorgio
02-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Well it doesn't go by MBs, it goes by a block system.

Funky Fly
02-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Still doing the blocks, I see. Ok, how many blocks does it start with, and how many can you add with the scan disc?

Kane Knight
02-21-2007, 03:07 PM

Mostof the games have been things like baseball.

There are a few good games, but it's an overpriced service (and may get worse, with one of the Zelda games costing 12 bucks), the GC controller support is laughable (Several games are ass with it), and the "emulation" is not flawless. The limit of 60-something channels limits the number of possible games on your Wii at a time, requiring either a lot of redownloading or swapping from flash cards.

Should I continue?

Dave Youell
02-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Mostof the games have been things like baseball.

There are a few good games, but it's an overpriced service (and may get worse, with one of the Zelda games costing 12 bucks), the GC controller support is laughable (Several games are ass with it), and the "emulation" is not flawless. The limit of 60-something channels limits the number of possible games on your Wii at a time, requiring either a lot of redownloading or swapping from flash cards.

Should I continue?
Woah! There's a limit of 60 games! :eek:

Dude, seriously how many old games do you plan on downloading?

Kane Knight
02-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Woah! There's a limit of 60 games! :eek:

Dude, seriously how many old games do you plan on downloading?

60 channels.

Which means Wii-Ware also counts against it.

Honestly, with new content being arranged for the Wii and classic content, it's not unreasonable to expect the ability to either access direct from your SD or not have to worry about page limits. I know Mike is a Nintendo apologist, are you? It actually seems that way.

Kane Knight
02-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Figure people want more of the older games, not as much N64. Plus price factor, and you'll need a non-wii remote controller to play 64 games.

REALLY.

Every time I boot up one of my SNES games, it warns me a I need a classic controller.

So where does the added issue with N64 games come in? The two whole extra bucks for a N64 game probably isn't the issue, and the controller doesn't seem to be one (Nintendo's setting a precedent for use of the CC anyway)....

...Anyway, back to reality. The real issue is likely how much of a bear it is to deal with n64 games. In other words, it's just easier to deal with the other systems. No excuses about how Nintendo is looking out for us or whatever other nonsense. They're doing what's easiest and makes for the better business model.

Funky Fly
02-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Still doing the blocks, I see. Ok, how many blocks does it start with, and how many can you add with the scan disc?

Kane Knight
02-23-2007, 06:52 PM
I'd answer, but I don't know how many blocks we start with. I also don't know what you mean by "scan disk?"

By the way, there are only 48 "channels" to put Wii Games and Wii Ware on, including the ones already assigned when you buy it.

PapaGeorgio
02-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I want to say you start with roughly 2000 blocks. I downloaded all the channels, Kid Icarus, Kirby, Legend of Zelda and GunstarHeros and I believe I'm down to about 1600 blocks left. Maybe 1700 blocks.

Funky Fly
02-23-2007, 07:03 PM
I'd answer, but I don't know how many blocks we start with. I also don't know what you mean by "scan disk?"

By the way, there are only 48 "channels" to put Wii Games and Wii Ware on, including the ones already assigned when you buy it.
I was referring to this VVV.
Wii has about 512mbs of space. I'm sure someone will correct me on that but it is roughly around that. That is space for saves and downloads of VC games. It also has a scandisk port you can use as well. So you can buy a 2 gig card for that if you need the space. Not much space, but their is some oh Sir of Funk.

I want to say you start with roughly 2000 blocks. I downloaded all the channels, Kid Icarus, Kirby, Legend of Zelda and GunstarHeros and I believe I'm down to about 1600 blocks left. Maybe 1700 blocks.
And if 512mb = 2000 blocks, one can assume that the 2gb expansion is somewhere around 8000 blocks, then. Nice.

Kane Knight
02-23-2007, 07:41 PM
What he says is "scan disk" is a SD card port. Sandisk (Not Scandisk) is a company that makes them. It supports up to 2 GB, but currently you can't save to it, and there's limited functionality off it. I just checked checked my SD card, and with 17 MB free, it said 13 blocks.

Just keep in mind you can keep backups on your SD cards, but you can't save directly to the port or load from it currently. In terms of how many blocks though, don't know.

Funky Fly
02-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I see. That kinda sucks, then. I wonder how hard it would have been for them to put hard drive functionality in the Wii. They wouldn't even have to include it right away, just having the capacity for attaching a proper hard drive would be nice.

Kane Knight
02-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I see. That kinda sucks, then. I wonder how hard it would have been for them to put hard drive functionality in the Wii. They wouldn't even have to include it right away, just having the capacity for attaching a proper hard drive would be nice.

Well, there's a USB slot or two.

Currently, they're only useful for one thing. LAN adapter (So you can make a wired internet connection). It's been speculated that there will be an HDD, but this wouldn't be the first time Nintendo did something shortsighted.

The good news is you can redownload stuff you've bought, at least for now. The bad news is it's inconvenient, and there are still save issues.

Funky Fly
02-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Well, all my SNES needs are taken care of by ZSNES. Still, it's a pain in the ass to have to play on a 17 inch screen instead of a 36 inch one.

Kane Knight
02-23-2007, 09:32 PM
ZSNES also allows you some features not on VC games, right? Like actually smoothing the graphics, for one?

Funky Fly
02-23-2007, 09:58 PM
I think so. I haven't really fiddled with it.

Kane Knight
02-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Altered Beast seems to have some graphical glitches. I don't recall the visual "glitches" from the original version.

Dorkchop
02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
My only real issue is the lack of good games. I know they have some really good ones for it as I type this (Ocarina, Link to the Past, Super Mario, Mario 64), but the non great games aren't really any good. I'm sure Nintendo is trying to space things out and not release all the great games all at once, but come on now. They have 100s of great games to chose from. There's no reason there shouldn't be better games out right now.

I hope some more obscure/hidden gems make on the virtual console.

I'd love to see Road Rash 64 make it. It's doubful though. I'd really like to play Earthbound too.

Kane Knight
02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Money. If the good games came out all at once, the poor games wouldn't seell as well. Millions will settle for the other games, then buy the good ones as they come out.

Kane Knight
03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Also, you can release good games during the holidays or sales slumps to boost sales.