PDA

View Full Version : Something interesting I've noticed about me...

The One
02-16-2007, 08:23 PM
I could tell you the exact year something happened in wrestling, probably the event too...before 2001. The past 6 years or so has been a complete haze of wrestling. I can barely remember shit from it, and even the stuff I do remember I have to sit down and really try and figure out even what year something happened in. Strange.

Mr. Nerfect
02-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I think it has something to do with the writing and the depth of the characters. Nothing against them, but John Cena and Batista aren't ever going to be Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Rock.

I think if the WWE listened to the fans a bit more, took some chances, and just stopped booking like a carnival and started booking like a quality entertainment program, things may pick up.

Maluco
02-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I tuned in to each show before and something notable usually happened, and we had lots of defining moments. Now, especially since the roster split, we are getting the same mesh of matches every week, just different combinations and gimmicks.

As well as that, all the comedy/emotion, matured personalities and slow builds in feuds have been taken out to be replaced with poor taste, shock tactics (Eddie usage) and quick monthly conflicts.

Mr. JL
02-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I think also this is because wrestling is not as popular as it was in the attitude era. Back in those days most people would typically actually watch the show regularly and then if you were out with friends it would get brought up in conversation or you'd even hear other people in school, sports leagues, bus, work and wherever, talking about a match or storyline. So, I think with all of those constant reinforcers it just helped people remember the great and even not so great moments.

Plus, the fact that not a lot of memorable moments have really occured in the last 6 years is a key factor as well.

thedamndest
02-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Maybe it's the early onset of Alzheimer's.

Jordan
02-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Thats funny I totally am the same way. I think because when I was a kid I worshiped wrestling, now I have more important things on my mind, I can't base my year off of what ppv is this month haha.

Loose Cannon
02-17-2007, 01:02 PM
yep, myself and Rob have had this discussion on here before. Look at the Skinner/Owen Hart Q&A thread for the most recent one.

Like mentioned, it's too much wrestling and too much of the same thing happening. You can ask me to review every single match from Summerslam 92 in my head and I can. Ask me to review Raw from 2 weeks ago and I won't be able to do it.

Londoner
02-17-2007, 04:58 PM
I think if the WWE listened to the fans a bit more,

You're just angry that they've buried all of your favourites(bashams, val venis..eugene..etc).

NeanderCarl
02-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Agreed, I'm the same. I could probably give you the complete match list/results of every single PPV from 1987-2001, recount all the feuds and angles from during the year, and even give you title histories and the real names of every wrestler from that period right off the top of my head.

2002 onwards, however, and I'd be lost.

Mr. Nerfect
02-17-2007, 09:18 PM
You're just angry that they've buried all of your favourites(bashams, val venis..eugene..etc).

I'm angry because the WWE continues to push John Cena like he's the Second Coming, despite the fans being more interested in acts like Matt Hardy during the Edge/Lita/Matt storyline.

Every time the WWE has something hot on their hands, they drop the ball. John Cena should be a heel now, Batista should not have ended King Booker's World Title reign and Matt Hardy should have received a consistent push when he returned to the WWE. That's if we go by what the fans wanted, but instead we have the same old shit every week.