PDA

View Full Version : Dave Meltzer announces Hall of Fame Inductees

Marc the Smark
02-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Two New WWE Hall of Fame Entrants Revealed
Date Added: February 16, 2007
Story By: Daniel Pena
source: Wrestling Observer

Dave Meltzer is reporting that Jim Ross and Jerry 'The King' Lawler will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year. However, WWE has yet to officially announce this, but they most certainly will within the next few weeks on RAW.

There are six more editions of WWE RAW to go until WrestleMania 23. WWE will be announcing a new entrant, or entrants if they are part of a group or tag team, each week on RAW during the ensuing weeks. If you add Ross & Lawler in, that leaves four spots left.

The tag team of Afa & Sika is a lock to go in considering that WWE recently called them about it. Two other likely entrants are The Shiek and the Von Erich family. One of the reasons that Sabu wasn't fired back in the fall when he probably would have been was because they wanted him to induct The Shiek into the HOF this year. Also, The Shiek was a native of Detroit, the site of this year's WrestleMania. Kevin Von Erich is currently on board with WWE for two projects. He hosts a World Class Championship Wrestling show on WWE 24/7 with Michael Hayes. Also, WWE plans on releasing a DVD on the WCCW this September, The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling. This deal would be similar to last year's deal with Verne Gagne and the subsequent AWA DVD release.

Corkscrewed
02-17-2007, 12:28 AM
One of the reasons that Sabu wasn't fired back in the fall when he probably would have been was because they wanted him to induct The Shiek into the HOF this year.
So we can probably bank on Sabu getting fired on April...whatever the day after Wrestlemania is, eh?

NeanderCarl
02-17-2007, 01:23 AM
The way they are treating these ECW guys (as well as their lowers card guys on each brand) is despicable as a public limited company. The "independant contractors" line is as flimsy as it is tired. Not specifically Sabu, if a guy fucks up, he should be punished appropriately. But these guys never seem to be out of the doghouse because of the ridiculous politics going on backstage. Same old story, but I really can't see how they can keep getting away with it.

Anyway, onto the actual topic of the thread, Lawler and Ross are deserving but are still active. I'd love to see them inducted into the Hall, and then find new roles in the WWE as their commentary is piss poor these days. Lawler deserves induction due to his history as a wrestler, and Ross deserves it for his work pre-2001.

Fignuts
02-17-2007, 03:01 AM
HET fduck you man

Pardeep 619
02-17-2007, 11:23 AM
No offence to Jerry Lawler or JR, but those two shouldn't go into the Hall Of Fame this year. They are still active in the wrestling business, and although those two have contributed a lot to the business, if the WWE were to put these two in the Hall Of Fame then they might as well put the likes of Flair, HHH, Rock, Foley, Undertaker and even Vince McMahon in the Hall Of Fame.

I'd prefer the WWE to put in guys like Mr Perfect, Rick Rude, Bossman, Owen Hart etc before JR and Jerry Lawler

Xero
02-17-2007, 11:25 AM
No offence to Jerry Lawler or JR, but those two shouldn't go into the Hall Of Fame this year. They are still active in the wrestling business, and although those two have contributed a lot to the business, if the WWE were to put these two in the Hall Of Fame then they might as well put the likes of Flair, HHH, Rock, Foley, Undertaker and even Vince McMahon in the Hall Of Fame.
Why wouldn't they put Foley in? He's not active. If anything, he's at the same activity level as Hogan.

Same with Rock, actually.

Pardeep 619
02-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Why wouldn't they put Foley in? He's not active. If anything, he's at the same activity level as Hogan.

Same with Rock, actually.

Yeah I guess you're right. I suppose with the Hall Of Fame inductees, they all seem to be the old timers (Eddie being the exception). I personally don't regard Foley being in that category because I still think he can go to the performance level he was at his peak, albeit if it's only limited to a few times a year.

Kane Knight
02-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Foley's half the man he was in his peak. He's still groin-grabbingly awesome, but let's be honest. He's still slipped.

mrslackalack
02-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah the WWE Hall of Fame is like the Basketball Hall of Fame then if they take those still active induct them. JR and King and 100 percent locks for HOF in my opinion. But I believe 5-10 years later not now.

NeanderCarl
02-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Well, if they're going in at some point, why not now I suppose. Does it really make a difference? They'll end up in there eventually, who cares if it's this year or ten years time? The end result is the same, and they get to make their acceptance speeches with all their marbles (virtually) intact, rather than be confused old men like Verne Gagne last year. Same goes for anyone who is still active in the business... some of these guys will be active until they're too old to do it anymore, or dead, in which case they'll never have the honour of accepting their induction anyway. If somebody is a lock for the HoF, I say induct them, active or not.

Plus, that means that Raw (the WWE's premier show) will have an all-Hall Of Fame announce team, another selling point for the show.

NeanderCarl
02-17-2007, 04:31 PM
For example, Ric Flair is a bonafide Hall Of Famer. But if they wait until he retires to induct him, he'll never get to see it because it's becoming increasingly apparent that Ric Flair will die before he ever retires of his own accord.

You KNOW Flair is a HoF lock. He knows it. Everyone knows it. So just put him in there, I say. This year, next year, whenever.

NeanderCarl
02-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I think WWE are too stubborn to put The Rock in the Hall Of Fame, however. I think they feel he will be back full-time one day, which may well be true. I think they are anticipating that his movie roles will dry up long before he is past his physical prime, and he will come running back to WWE with his tail between his legs.

Anyway, I know Rock was a tremendous entertainer and draw during his peak in WWE, but is he REALLY a Hall Of Famer?

He was in the big time, full-time, for about four years (late 1996- early 2001), just over two (late 98 - early 2001) of which he was actually a genuine main eventer.

When he made subsequent returns in 2002/2003 he was still popular with the live audience, but had no real impact on ratings, live attendance or PPV buys. Basically, he was no longer the massive draw he once was.

After his tranformation into The Rock, he was super entertaining, but took a LOT of shortcuts in his promos that were rarely afforded other wrestlers prior to Rock (insider terminology, parody, expletives, cheap pops etc.) As a wrestler he was very good, but not amazing. His sharpshooter remains one of the worst performed moves I've ever seen.

So to sum up: He had a lot of charisma, granted. He was very entertaining (but some of that can be credited to the shortcuts he was allowed to take). He was a very good, but not great, in-ring performer.

Does a two-year run on top really a Hall Of Famer make??

Don't get me wrong, compared to some of the chumps they have in the HoF, Rock should be inducted TWICE. But that's just a testiment to some of the deranged choices of entrant made so far. If the HoF really WAS a hallowed and prestigious honour bestowed only upon the very best in the business (rather than their chauffeurs, friends and favourite jobbers), would Rock REALLY be in there??

Russenmafia
02-17-2007, 05:13 PM
I think WWE are too stubborn to put The Rock in the Hall Of Fame, however. I think they feel he will be back full-time one day, which may well be true. I think they are anticipating that his movie roles will dry up long before he is past his physical prime, and he will come running back to WWE with his tail between his legs.

Anyway, I know Rock was a tremendous entertainer and draw during his peak in WWE, but is he REALLY a Hall Of Famer?

He was in the big time, full-time, for about four years (late 1996- early 2001), just over two (late 98 - early 2001) of which he was actually a genuine main eventer.

When he made subsequent returns in 2002/2003 he was still popular with the live audience, but had no real impact on ratings, live attendance or PPV buys. Basically, he was no longer the massive draw he once was.

After his tranformation into The Rock, he was super entertaining, but took a LOT of shortcuts in his promos that were rarely afforded other wrestlers prior to Rock (insider terminology, parody, expletives, cheap pops etc.) As a wrestler he was very good, but not amazing. His sharpshooter remains one of the worst performed moves I've ever seen.

So to sum up: He had a lot of charisma, granted. He was very entertaining (but some of that can be credited to the shortcuts he was allowed to take). He was a very good, but not great, in-ring performer.

Does a two-year run on top really a Hall Of Famer make??

Don't get me wrong, compared to some of the chumps they have in the HoF, Rock should be inducted TWICE. But that's just a testiment to some of the deranged choices of entrant made so far. If the HoF really WAS a hallowed and prestigious honour bestowed only upon the very best in the business (rather than their chauffeurs, friends and favourite jobbers), would Rock REALLY be in there??

Rock deserves to be in real hall of fame. Won multiple World titles, very popular with the fans, loads of charisma and always put on good matches.

NeanderCarl
02-17-2007, 06:28 PM
But my point is does he compare to guys who, whilst had less success, sustained commendable careers for many many years, as opposed to Rocky's two good years?

NeanderCarl
02-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Don't get me wrong, he's going in eventually, and I agree with his induction (and it wouldn't matter whatsoever if I didn't...)

But it's another example of questionable standards for induction.

The Show Off
02-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I really don't think that wrestlers should get inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, or any Hall of Fame for that matter while they are still active in the medium they are getting inducted for. Hulk Hogan shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame if he is going to wrestler more. Jim Ross shouldn't be inducted into the hall of fame because he is still the "A" announcer of the company.

I understand the concept that, it doesn't matter when they go in, just that they go it. It makes some sence, but Hall of Fame is essentially a lifetime achievement award, the ultimate honor that shows that you were one of the best in the world at what you did. I guy getting inducted into the Hall of Fame during their career takes away the meaning from the induction ceremony. The induction ceremony is a time where the inductee gets a chance to reflect on a tremendous career, when you are still caught up in the career you don't have the pause to look back and refelct on how much it really means.

All this being said I think Jerry "The King" Lawler should be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, but not as an announcer. He should be inducted as a wrestler. Obviously the WWE doesn't make the distinction of "how" you are inducted, considering Gorilla Monsoon, Jesse Ventura, and Bobby Heenan are all in the WWE Hall of Fame but they're not in two seprate times as wrestlers and announcers. However, I think the WWE should make that distinction as to why a person is in the Hall.

Pardeep 619
02-17-2007, 07:01 PM
To go off topic for a moment, does anybody think that Vince Sr should be inducted this year?

NeanderCarl
02-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Vince Sr is already in.

NeanderCarl
02-17-2007, 07:12 PM
I think Vince Jr. should definitely be inducted, while he is still alive to accept it. Problem is, only he can make that call, and there is an arrogance to declaring yourself into a Hall Of Fame. So chances are, he will only make the HOF when he's dead.

Jeritron
02-17-2007, 07:14 PM
He is the Hall of Fame

Corndad
02-17-2007, 11:51 PM
I still say MR T if they are doing a Celebrity Wing. The guy headlined 2 Wrestlemanias.

NeanderCarl
02-18-2007, 12:23 AM
We'll find out soon enough, if WWE Shop fucks up like last year and puts out a T-shirt with all the entrants weeks before they are announced.

The celebrity wing looks to be an annual feature too, doesn't it? Mr T, Mike Tyson and Muhammed Ali are all deserving... well, as deserving as a "celebrity wing" entrant is ever going to be.

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2007, 05:23 PM
The only thing I am looking forward to about Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler being inducted into the Hall of Fame is them stepping down as commentators. It won't happen, but a lad can dream.

Disturbed316
02-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Wow, certainly wont watch this years ceremoney

Xero
02-18-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't think they're airing it this year anyway...

Russenmafia
02-18-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't think they're airing it this year anyway...

Will it be on WWE.com or will they save it for the Mania 23 DVD as a bonus disc?

Xero
02-18-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't even know.

addy2hotty
02-18-2007, 06:58 PM
If JR is going in, I'm sure we can expect Austin back on Raw.

I wonder what that will mean?

Pardeep 619
02-19-2007, 10:12 AM
If JR is going in, I'm sure we can expect Austin back on Raw.

I wonder what that will mean?

It probably means Austin stunning every mid-carder employed and JR masturbating vigourously (sp) over it whilst making references to BBQ sauce

Stickman
02-19-2007, 01:31 PM
The Hall of Fame is a joke. You can't put active people in it.

NeanderCarl
02-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Of course you can. Why not?