PDA

View Full Version : Can fans cross the line?

RGWhat316
02-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I took this article from the WrestleCrap boards and wanted to get some thoughts on it.
http://realwrestlecrap.proboards89.com/index.cgi?board=WWE&action=display&thread=1171149338

So, today here in Indianapolis, Rey Rey was in town for the Carquest "World Of Wheels". That got me thinking. I forget who had it, but somebody on here had the image of Rey with the World Title, and below it said "Who died and made you World Champion?" in their sig. Well, I took that, printed it up, and had it blown up onto an 8x10 gloss. I took it with me to get it signed.

Yes, I'm a dick. So I get up to him and hand it to him, and his shoulders just drop. He says "Come on, man. I can't sign this." At which point I threw back "Come on, Rey! Do it for Eddie!" He scribbled his name on it and left it at that. For the rest of his signing, whenever I'd look over by him I could see that he was distressed.

So, his appearance is over and he's leaving. Before he leaves, he passes by me. I'm busy looking at a beautiful apple green Corvette, and he stops right next to me and says "So, does everybody have that same attitude about my run?" I had no idea he was there, so I look over and down and mark out a small bit. He was without the mask, which made it that much better. I told him yeah, for the most part, and we got to talking. He said he had to be on a flight in a few hours, and I offered to buy him lunch, which he accepted.

I'll say this right now. Rey Mysterio, for all the crap he gets, is a great guy. I took him to a pretty good steakhouse here in town and just talked to him for about an hour. He said that the only reason he even did the angle was because "Creative didn't have anything else for him" and they wanted to milk the Eddie Guerrero name for all it was worth. He regrets doing it, and wishes he could go back and never have even started it. I told him about this site, WHICH HE KNOWS ABOUT!!!, and he wanted me to pass along a message:

"To all my fans here on the Internet, I'm sorry. I know that over the past year I've tarnished the Guerrero name by turning his untimely death into yet another wrestling angle. Believe me, if I had the chance to go back, I'd tell Ace no (yes, the "Do it for Eddie" idea was Ace's), and I'd rather sit on the sidelines or go to OVW or something than destroy the name of somebody who was like a brother to me, all for a westling angle. Vickie and Chavo are the same way, but the only reason they're doing it is to keep the income that Eddie was bringing in. Again, I'm sorry for the lengths the angle went to."

After that I picked up the tab, had him actually sign something (I had the "Who Died" photo in a frame and offered it to him, which he declined), and he went to his hotel. A great day if I do say so myself.

TerranRich
02-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Wow. No, he didn't go too far. In fact, he did something that got an answer out of Rey. I kind of knew it wasn't his idea, obviously. But at least now we know whose idea it was. So no, he didn't cross any line. I kinda chuckled at the part where he gives the photo to Rey to sign.

Indifferent Clox
02-17-2007, 04:02 PM
wow

Blitz
02-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I gotta say that sounds a bit too good to be true, particularly Rey's whole message to the internet.

Jeritron
02-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Am I supposed to believe this?

Kane Knight
02-17-2007, 04:16 PM
That was pretty dickish, but it did kind of make me laugh because it's true.

Can fans go too far? Remember the guy who tried to tip the ladder on Smackdown many years ago?

Remember the guy who dumped beer down Guerrero's mouth?

Remember the guy who stabbed Blassie?

People go too far all the time. Sometimes wrestlers go too far, too.

ClockShot
02-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Once in a while the fans do go far. Most of us may remember while back the PTC were sending in guys with signs like 10 feet tall. And the camera would cut that person being thrown out. A few weeks later WWE would build on that.

Or that time someone rushed the ring during a Randy Savage segment during the WCW days.

Chuck Jones
02-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Remember the guy who dumped beer down Guerrero's mouth?

I was at that show. It happened a few rows in front of me.

The Optimist
02-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Am I supposed to believe this?
Yeah, that's what I first thought about this. But it sounds sort of like what I figured Rey would think about the whole deal. Ehh . . .who cares. I'm sure after this people will wise up and stop using Eddie like this anyway.

It's a mute point.

Jeritron
02-17-2007, 05:57 PM
I believe half of it. I believe that he tried to get him to sign that and that Rey said "oh come on man" and it bothered him. I know hes at those world of wheels shows.

I even believe that Rey came up to him and said is that really how people feel.

I do however think its your common everyday pathological liar/exaggerator of stories. Spicing it up adding the rest in. Inlcuding the pouring of the heart on the matter, the lunch date, the message to internet fans. Don't buy any of those plot twists at all.

Sounds like the all to common occurence of something happening to somebody and the add more and more to the story.

Londoner
02-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Inlcuding the pouring of the heart on the matter, the lunch date, the message to internet fans. Don't buy any of those plot twists at all.

Yeah i was going to say that to, just sounds like bullshit to me. Didn't you get to a certain point in the article and then just start thinking 'yeah right, i can't picture that happening'.

Jeritron
02-17-2007, 06:40 PM
You get to the point in the article where the seed of truth starts to grow into an exaggerated fable.

You can see it with any story told by a patho. It starts out with truth, after all something has to inspire the start. Then it snowballs into a bigger and bigger claim when thigns get more and more ridiculous.

Fignuts
02-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Yeah I don't believe this either.

Pardeep 619
02-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I can't believe the guy was shocked about how Rey Rey knows about WrestleCrap. I'd assume nearly all the wrestlers will have heard of this website.

Jeritron
02-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I can't believe you believe this, yet can't believe that detail.

Corkscrewed
02-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Put me on Jeritron's boat. If it turns out the entire thing was true, well, cool. But the second half does sound a little far-fetched.

That said, I do think Rey is disheartened over that whole World Champ run. He probably does feel guilty for giving in to natural selfish desires (of making money, of some fame) and doing it. And he probably did do it to keep the Guerrero name alive, not really anticipating it could actually get stomped on in an insidious way.

At the very least, it's an interesting read.

Kane Knight
02-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Actually, it's a shame that the second one is so far fetched. I mean, look at the divide between the fans and wrestlers.

RGWhat316
02-17-2007, 08:25 PM
I figured the last part seemed like a tall tale, especially the lunch, and Rey talking to the guy without the mask on. But I mainly posted this here cus while stuff can be funny on a message board, I dunno if it is right to actually tell the truth on some of these things if we get chances to meet the wrestlers involved. You never know when these guys are gonna take it personally. I wouldn't do something like this guy did cus most of these guys could kick my ass anyways. I'm actually surprised that Rey didn't actually smack the guy for pulling a stunt like that.

Kane Knight
02-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Rey's not retarded. He wouldn't do that publically.

Jeritron
02-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Seriously, it goes from a real life crossing of paths at an autograph signing to an episode of a cheesy sitcom.

I almost wanna laugh when the story digresses to Rey walking up to him and going "Is that really what you guys think of me" and pouring his heart out. I'm also sure Rey would go and pick up a bite to eat with some mark and let him pick up the bill, just to taolk about private shit with the company he works for.

I'm also sure Rey walks around the show he was signing autographs at alone and isn't swarmed.

owenbrown
02-17-2007, 10:37 PM
ROFL @ the people on the WrestleCrap boards that ACTUALLY believed it :rofl:

Jeritron
02-17-2007, 10:39 PM
How about the people on here that actually believed it

Indifferent Clox
02-17-2007, 11:47 PM
MR. Jl needs to be fucking stopped. He neg repped me again.

TerranRich
02-18-2007, 02:03 PM
It's a mute point.

It's MOOT POINT, not "mute point"! Goddammit, I hate it when people get simple sayings like this wrong. :rant:

owenbrown
02-18-2007, 02:07 PM
How about the people on here that actually believed it

I almost believed it until I read the rest of the thread.

Disturbed316
02-18-2007, 03:02 PM
The thing that gave it away was the fact he said Rey didn't have his mask on. If WWE blur his face in family photo on his dvd, I very much doubt it they let him walk around after appearences without his mask on, just to be on the safe side if someone see's him.

addy2hotty
02-18-2007, 03:29 PM
It's MOOT POINT, not "mute point"! Goddammit, I hate it when people get simple sayings like this wrong. :rant:

Look, why don't you make like a tree, and get out of here?

For the record, that report is about as credible as Mysterio's title run.

The One
02-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Can fans go too far? Yes. If you place the wrestler in harms way (throwing things, jumping the rail, etc.) you go to far. If you make a fucking comment or joke, then no! When the fuck did everyone go all super emo? Everyone is allowed their opinion, everyone is allowed to voice their opinion. What this guy did (which I don't think this is a true story, but let's pretend it is for now...) was funny. It was a bit hurtful maybe, but so fucking what? The man agreed to go along with something that milked his friend's death and made him at least a million dollars (PPVs paychecks, Mania's paycheck, merch, etc.). We all wish we could go back and change something we did, but we can't, and when someone calls you on your shit, it's kind of hard to sit back and say "oh poor guy."

Kane Knight
02-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Speak for yourself.

I went back in time and stopped myself from assassinating Hitler, when I learned that his replacement would lead the Nazis to win WW2.

Londoner
02-18-2007, 04:16 PM
I just lost all interest when i read that rey apaprently said 'is that really what the fans think of me?' i mean..he should know by now.

Kane Knight
02-18-2007, 05:53 PM
By the way, I split a hooker and a cab with Rey this afternoon, and I can confirm all of this is true.

addy2hotty
02-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Last time Rey was in England, I met him in a hotel bar. He was smoking a cigarette with Ernie out of Sesame Street. They looked a bit down as they'd heard a report on the Discovery Channel that 'midgets never prosper'. I asked Rey if he felt he was a midget or simply 'vertically challenged'. He responded with 'is that what everyone thinks?'. I answered 'hell yeah' and offered to take him to dinner at a top 'steak joint'.

After his Big Mac and Fries, he offered me a rose, and asked him to accompany him on his arduous journey back in time to save the legacy of Eddie Guerrero. As we whisked off in the phone box with Rufus, I asked if we were going to appear in the hotel room that fateful night. He said 'no, I'm going to prevent my own birth'. His mom was hot.

Jeritron
02-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Last time Rey was in England, I met him in a hotel bar. He was smoking a cigarette with Ernie out of Sesame Street. They looked a bit down as they'd heard a report on the Discovery Channel that 'midgets never prosper'. I asked Rey if he felt he was a midget or simply 'vertically challenged'. He responded with 'is that what everyone thinks?'. I answered 'hell yeah' and offered to take him to dinner at a top 'steak joint'.

After his Big Mac and Fries, he offered me a rose, and asked him to accompany him on his arduous journey back in time to save the legacy of Eddie Guerrero. As we whisked off in the phone box with Rufus, I asked if we were going to appear in the hotel room that fateful night. He said 'no, I'm going to prevent my own birth'. His mom was hot.

WOW!

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Pfffffft, whatever.

Crossrine
02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Wow what a pile of shit this story was. Besides the bull shit how is that even "Crossing the line"? Its not like someone tried to fight him or something.

TerranRich
02-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Rey Mysterio! He was a son of a bitch! Stood ten feet tall, weighted 700 pounds. Scientists discovered his urine is a natural aphrodisiac! Damn near skewered my wife after a whiff of that shit! TRUE STORY!

Jeritron
02-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Wow. No, he didn't go too far. In fact, he did something that got an answer out of Rey. I kind of knew it wasn't his idea, obviously. But at least now we know whose idea it was. So no, he didn't cross any line. I kinda chuckled at the part where he gives the photo to Rey to sign.