PDA

View Full Version : Flair retiring soon?

Blue Demon
02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
It has to be interesting to see Ric Flair walking around a grocery store.

He's The Nature Boy. A living legend in professional wrestling. The 16-time world champion. An institution of a man who, in the ring, is seemingly ageless (he turned 58 on Sunday, actually).

What would you do if you saw Flair walking around the produce section of your supermarket?

Probably run up to him and yell his trademark, "Woooooo!" Right?

That's what happened to Flair a couple weeks back, when he was shopping with his wife and doing a phone interview.

"Someone just did that," Flair says. "Three times."

And he responded by slapping on a figure-four leglock?

Not quite.

"As long as people are respectable, I have no problem with it," he says. "I don't like it at dinner tables or restaurants, but aside from that I can handle it"

Flair can handle a lot, no doubt. He's still a key player in World Wrestling Entertainment, which is at the Save Mart Center at 5 p.m. today for its Raw program (which airs here at 9 p.m. on the USA Network and is live for the East Coast).

Flair still gets in the ring. Still dukes it out. Still takes bumps and falls that defy his age.

For about 25 years now, that's been Flair's life -- he's flamboyant and loud, strutting around the ring while notching victories and winning championships like the old Boston Celtics.

He's the guy who, right along with Hulk Hogan, brought professional wrestling into American's living rooms.

And while Hogan is off doing the reality TV thing, Flair is still grappling on the mat.

"It's a way of life for me," Flair says. "As long as I can do it, as they want me to do it, I'm gonna continue to.

"No. 1, I love the business. No. 2, I still have the ability to keep going and No. 3, I just have a passion for this business," he says. "I've had an unbelievable gift of good health, which I feel like I should take advantage of."

Of late, Flair isn't the main-eventer he once was. Sure, he gets his share of TV time and love from the crowds. But he's not as young as the other guys, doesn't have the sculpted figure, isn't as limber.

But he makes up for all that in know-how.

He has a strong influence in the locker room, helping along younger wrestlers, sharing what he's learned over the years.

"If I like someone, and I think they really care for the business, I'm more than happy to help them," Flair says. "It's kind of expected of me now. It's a role that I don't mind at all."

He helps bring credibility to the younger guys by teaming with them. Wrestlers like Triple H, Batista and, just this last week, Carlito have benefited from a Flair push.

"Ric Flair is looked at in the WWE locker rooms no differently than Jim Brown would be in a Cleveland Brown locker room, Gretzky in an Edmonton locker room or Michael Jordan in a Bulls' locker room," Jim Ross, the WWE's announcer and an executive vice president, wrote on his blog (www.jrsbarbq.com) this week.

"If young wrestlers don't watch every move an athlete like Flair makes in the ring and in match preparation and especially Ric's passion, then said youngsters are too stupid to be in this business," Ross wrote.

Of course, Flair won't be around forever. He knows that. And he already has in mind the way he wants his storied career to end.

And it's not about titles or matches, just respect.

"The most important thing to me is the respect of my peers," he says. "And not my peers of yesteryear, because I have that. But the guys I'm working with now. That is a very, very keen issue with me.

"To me, I'd like to wrestle for another year. I'd like to walk away with my head held high and know that I had the most illustrious career of anybody alive, in the history of our business. And I think I already have that."

Source: http://www.fresnobee.com/221/story/31979.html

SammyG
02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Wooooooo

Londoner
02-26-2007, 07:09 PM
I love how the person who wrote this threw a cheap shot at Hogan there.

jimmy012345
02-26-2007, 08:10 PM
ric should retire

The Optimist
02-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Ric shouldn't retire.

Rob
02-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Sorry I fucking cracked up laughing when I read the title of this topic.

Harry Smith will retire before Ric Flair does.

Bad Company
02-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Ric can still tell a better story in the ring that 3/4 of the current roster. I hope he doesn't retire.

Dorkchop
02-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Ric can be a dick at times, but other times he's one of the most respactable wrestlers out there.

I think he should keep wrestling if he can still do it. There will be a point, probably very soon, where he won't be able to do it anymore. Until then, let him keep going.

Unlike Hogan, Flair puts guys over. Throughout his whole career he's put over probably every guy he's gotten in the ring with. Even when he was on top, he still made his oponents look like a million bucks in the ring. I noticed his move set is pretty much to make his oponent look good.

Flair is awesome.

Xero
02-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Sorry I fucking cracked up laughing when I read the title of this topic.

<s>Harry Smith</s> Terry Funk will retire before Ric Flair does.

Lock Jaw
02-26-2007, 09:50 PM
If I saw Ric Flair at a grocery store I'd ask him for advice on which cereal to buy. I'd be like "Hey Ric, should I get Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Captain Crunch?" and he'd be all like "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" and I'd be like "Ric, that doesn't answer my question" and then he'd be all like "STYLIN' AND PROFILIN' BABY!!! WOOOO!!" and I'd be "Uhhh.. Ric, I'm sorry, I respect you and everything you have to say, but that has nothing to do with anything." and then he'd open his robe and expose himself to me.

Splaya
02-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Your thinking of Vito

Rammsteinmad
02-27-2007, 02:44 AM
25 Years? More like 35 ain't it?

Skippord
02-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Please god let him retire

Mr. JL
02-27-2007, 04:38 AM
I'd hate to see him get injured or anything else at this point in his career or life.

Dave Youell
02-27-2007, 05:56 AM
1 more title run!

IC title that is.....

Russenmafia
02-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Hope he retires from the ring. He would be better in a Manager role.

The One
02-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I love Flair.

King Steve
02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I love Flair too but it's time he retires from the ring and like people have mentioned become a manager. In the future, possibly have him manage a new Four Horseman(it's not like they haven't done it to death anyway).

The Ravishing One
02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Please god let him retire

M-A-G
02-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I love how the person who wrote this threw a cheap shot at Hogan there.

What cheap shot?

M-A-G
02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
If I saw Ric Flair at a grocery store I'd ask him for advice on which cereal to buy. I'd be like "Hey Ric, should I get Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Captain Crunch?" and he'd be all like "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" and I'd be like "Ric, that doesn't answer my question" and then he'd be all like "STYLIN' AND PROFILIN' BABY!!! WOOOO!!" and I'd be "Uhhh.. Ric, I'm sorry, I respect you and everything you have to say, but that has nothing to do with anything." and then he'd open his robe and expose himself to me.

I'm sure you're a handsome devil and all but you're no random flight attendant. ;)

Dorkchop
02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Hmm... as a manager he'd be great. Maybe even wrestle every now and then (not full time). It would make his matches seem more special. If he wants, he could wrestle regularly in house shows.

tucsonspeed6
02-28-2007, 11:03 AM
I started reading the part about the grocery store and thought they were gonna say Flair decided to become a Walmart Greeter.

I could totally see him riding around in those little electric carts, cutting off other old people and totally road raging on them in the produce section.

Theo Dious
02-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I started reading the part about the grocery store and thought they were gonna say Flair decided to become a Walmart Greeter.

Dear God no, there's already a mentally subnormal dude at my WalMart who cuts promos on everybody who walks in. :roll:

Rob
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Jesus some of you lot are seriously blind.

On 2007, Ric Flair fucking sucks. If he can tell stories better than 3/4 of the roster then all that says is that 3/4 of the roster sucks too. His matches are not good anymore. His legacy has been pissed all over because he can't control his spending or his ego.

A shame really.

Theo Dious
02-28-2007, 02:10 PM
On 2007, Ric Flair fucking sucks. If he can tell stories better than 3/4 of the roster then all that says is that 3/4 of the roster sucks too.

So you're saying that it's a stretch to suggest that 3/4 of the roster does suck...? :shifty:

Rob
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't say most of the guys suck. Most of them just aren't as good as they should be due to lack of experience. Still some fairly decent guys. Even Sylvain isn't bad now. Some other guys like Carlito for example, absolutely suck and will never get any better in this business.

03-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Ric Flair is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, but my god, he needs to hang it up. Although last I heard, he was having money problems and is 'most likely,' at least, I'm predicting, still wrestling.

And secondly, Ric Flair can no longer put anyone over. They only way he helps anyone's career now would be if he were to drop dead in the ring in the middle of a match. I'll bet no one would forget who 'that' match was with.

Please stop, Ric.

Mr. JL
03-04-2007, 04:01 AM
I cannot stand Ric Flair or The One. Honestly, Ric Flair needs to retire and just go enjoy his life or something. The One needs to shut up because I seriously hate that poster.

All he talks about is gay this, Billy Gunn that, the Kliq this, JBL this, ric flair has still got it 'this', TOVO this. It is fucking annoying. He is seriously the only person on this message board I have ever put on my ignore list. And that is covering a lot of fucktards. He is just fucking annoying.

Mr. Nerfect
03-04-2007, 05:02 AM
I stopped watching RAW for a bit, then I tuned in and watched Ric Flair team with Carlito against Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch. My God, he looked so old. Seriously, he looked almost pitiful.

The only way Flair looks good these days, is if he's in a suit, bragging about all he's accomplished. Make him the manager of Kenny Dykstra and The World's Greatest Tag Team. Flair as a manager still has a lot to offer. Hell, maybe even have him fill-in for Coach one week and do Heat commentary. Flair could liven the show up a bit.