PDA

View Full Version : WWE to run worldwide feds?!

spunkynut
03-02-2007, 11:05 AM
News via insidepulse

'The new CFO of WWE, Michael Selick, revealed in Financial Week that the company is exploring the possibility of establishing separate WWE promotions running full-time in separate international markets. If everything went ahead it would go so far as to include separate TV tapings and storylines for each region, turning WWE from an overseas novelty into a local promotion.

Things are still in the preliminary stages but Vince McMahon has discussed it in detail with Stephanie, John Laurinaitis and others in the inner circle. The territories mentioned include a 'Pacific' region covering Japan, South Korea, China and Australia, a 'Hispanic' territory for Puerto Rico, Mexico and South America, and a European territory, with perhaps a Russian one at a later date. Meanwhile, in the USA, there would be two touring brands, most likely Raw and ECW, with Smackdown becoming the Hispanic brand as it is already well established in the market. Big pay increases would be given to senior agents and creative team members to move themselves and their families overseas, with potential performance bonuses depending on how well business goes. It would start off with a TV executive producer with experience of the region working closely with one agent and one writer who would be running the territory. There would also be a crew of wrestlers, who would also be expected to move their families overseas. Paul Heyman's name has actually been mentioned in connection to the Pacific region.

Shane McMahon, along with Selick, is working on a business plan for the venture, which remains in its formative stages. Potential drawbacks include the cost of producing WWE calibre shows, around $500,000 per week, and how TV stations in areas like Mexico would respond to the price. There is also the danger of international markets already beginning to get overexposed. Recent Japanese tours have not performed particularly well, there were concerns over the number of Australian tours, while advances for the next batch of Mexican dates have been well below expectations. Also, though WWE can get away with charging high prices for their shows at the moment as it is a novelty, doing so repeatedly would not help when taking on promotions like CMLL or AAA.

If it did come to pass then a lot of new wrestlers would of course be hired, as there would be a minimum of five brands. They are looking at promoting each market using both established WWE stars and top babyfaces based on ethnic backgrounds. Carlito, Mistico and Mysterio would be assigned to the Hispanic brand as top stars, they would look for a top Asian and Australian babyface, and guys like Regal, Finlay, Harry Smith and Paul Burchill could be assigned major roles in Europe. They would also likely raid the local markets in Japan and Mexico, whilst bringing back more of the '80s and '90s stars to make up the numbers. The only sure thing about the creative team members is that neither Stephanie McMahon nor Brian Gerwitz would work internationally. Gerwitz would likely become the chief writer of the USA brands, while Stephanie would hire more TV writers with Hollywood experience. Word is that the interntaionaly territories would be handled by Shane, with Vince concentrating on domestic business, though many have suggested that Vince's personality means he would want to be involved everywhere anyway.

Credit: Wrestling Observer newsletter (click here for subscription information) '

TerranRich
03-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Wow. So they have shitty ratings lately, and they ... want to expand globally?

Theo Dious
03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
So if I have this right, they would be overseas equivalents of DSW and OVW? Sounds intriguing.

King Steve
03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Try improving the current product first before expanding but it probably isn't a bad idea overall.

Theo Dious
03-02-2007, 11:36 AM

Well actually, running a number of lesser promotions, if they had a low cost/high yield profit pattern, could be a wise financial move.

TerranRich
03-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Probably. I just think the move is a little ill-timed.

Jordan
03-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Amazing idea, this could turn the world of wrestling around completley.

The One
03-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I always knew sooner or later the wrestling world would return to seperate territories under a giant umbrella...hell if you notice the two touring groups are already starting to seperate via region as it is. It's weird WWE is slowly morphing into an old NWA type system...which I am all for...but only if McMahon actually starts giving creative over to other people...

Corkscrewed
03-02-2007, 03:17 PM
WWE is still hot overseas. Any drop in quality would be drastically overshadowed by the profits gained financially.

starfox8500
03-02-2007, 03:34 PM
It's the whole monopoly thing. When one man (company) can dominate an industry, why the wwF' try to put effort into it?

Xero
03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Next thing you know we'll hear about a New Japan/WWE deal (again).

One RAW, one of their wrestlers attack in the ring. No one gives a fuck because no one has heard of them.

Theo Dious
03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I believe the typical response would be "I thought Funaki was on Smackdown?!"

tucsonspeed6
03-02-2007, 04:18 PM
This is definately a good thing. There aren't enough McMahons to hog the programming in every single territory. Somebody's bound to have some quality shows. ANd wherever that is, I'm moving there.

Mr. JL
03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
It is pretty scary just how BIG the WWE is getting.

King Steve
03-02-2007, 06:41 PM
They do have a shit load of unused talent.

Rob
03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
This ain't gonna happen. They can't write 2 decent TV shows now. Their product is too rushed and over saturated.

King Steve
03-02-2007, 06:51 PM
3 TV shows if you count ECW.

Xero
03-02-2007, 06:56 PM
They can't even write "shitty" ECW.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-03-2007, 12:18 AM
It won't happen.

Champion of Europa
03-03-2007, 02:45 AM
I heard a pretty good opinion on this. It would really freshen things up. When someone gets sent over to another brand, then came back years later, it'd be like they were a whole new character. It'd be like the days of territories all over again.

I personally really would like this to happen.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Here's the thing.

WWE is not going to run national shows for all there different territory brands.

Second, WWE's favorite guys will be on the televised brands. Like WWE now, they will be watered down. Furthermore, if these other "territories" tour as much as WWE does now, even people in the territories will be watered down.

Ultimately, this will be WWE trying to rape the indy/foreign scene more, stealing talent, watering them down, etc.

Furthermore, I don't know about Mexico, but there's no way in hell I see A lot of Japanese wrestlers leaving their respective feds for a bastardized WWE brand.

loopydate
03-03-2007, 12:39 PM
No, but I bet several gaijin would be willing to make the leap.

What Would Kevin Do?
03-03-2007, 01:18 PM
If WWE wants to have a Pacific brand though, a fed full of Gaijin isn't going to get viewers. Japanese fans will want people they're familiar with, just like we would. WWE would have to get a few big Japanese names to get any sort of attendance that they would want (as I can't imagine they plan on running Dragongate size shows.)

I think the biggest name WWE could possibly get would be Vader. Next would probably be Albert.

I can't imagine a lot of Japanese "free agents" signing with WWE, as I doubt WWE would let them keep free agent status and wrestle elsewhere. Anyway, I can't imagine any established NJPW, AJPW, or Noah star jumping ship to WWE, especially when WWE's style is so different than the style they already work.

Mr. Nerfect
03-03-2007, 03:39 PM
It probably won't happen, I can see it being a good idea, though.

If the WWE let Paul Heyman run the Asia-Pacific shows, they would be fucking amazing. Don't deny it. If they managed to get some biggish Japanese stars, I could see them doing alright. They may not even need to go Japanese with all of them. Umaga seems like a good fit for the Pacific brand. He's got the whole Japanese experience and the islander heritage. The WWE would likely snatch up guys like Giant Bernard, and Hell, even Steve Corino. This is a bit of a stretch, but if the WWE offered him enough money, Brock Lesnar could show up. That's if he stops being a whiney bitch and accepts a shit load of cash from them.

The Hispanic shows would be pretty cool, too. Rey Mysterio, Carlito, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Chavo Guerrero, Mistico, La Parka, Val Venis (he speaks Spanish, his wife is from south of the border, and he had some success there), Shocker, Super Crazy and Perro Aguayo Jr. would make for some guys to have down there. Aaron Aguilera might get re-signed, and he could do some hardcore shit.

The European one also has me intrigued: William Regal, Finlay, Paul Burchill and Harry Smith may become main eventers. That's pretty sweet.

I can see the WWE marketting these brands in all markets available to them, and giving each one their own format, feel and style. I actually think the SmackDown! name should be given to the Asia-Pacific brand, whereas the Mexico/Puerto Rico one becomes Nitro.

This will allow the WWE to expand outwards, get even more guys exposure and experience, and there is one other bright side to it all:

Promotions that compete with these shows, like AAA, CMLL, Dragon Gate, etc. may, just may, get more attention if their show manages to hold its own.

I'm just glad I'm in Australia, so we'd likely pick up the Asia-Pacific brand regardless, and could potentially get Paul Heyman's booking. :p

Corkscrewed
03-03-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm kinda anxious to see this happen so I can laugh when it fails. ;)

AdrianM
03-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Try improving the current product first before expanding but it probably isn't a bad idea overall.

lol. let me guess, I bet you're from America right.
I'm here in Australia, and would love the opportunity to have good, regular wrestling shows, unlike the bi-yearly or yearly tours we currently have

Pepsi Man
03-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't like this idea at all. For one thing, I see this as making the World Titles mean even less (if it's possible at all) than they do now.

El Fangel
03-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Amazing idea, this could fuck the world of wrestling over completley.

Rocky B
03-03-2007, 10:50 PM
I doubt this will happen anytime soon anyway but they would gain a good profit from it.

DaVe
03-03-2007, 10:51 PM

Eh, come on, Terran. The ratings lately have actually been their best for at least 2 years... ignoring ECW.