PDA

View Full Version : Smackdown Tonight (2/19 Spoilers)

Rock Bottom
02-19-2004, 10:01 PM
For once, I didn't read the spoilers and I'm kinda happy I didn't. Everyone could smell the Angle heel turn coming, but Kurt just got brutal and really unloaded on Guerrero. It was almost similar to Evolution's abuse on Foley, though not as bad. I think the show was pretty good overall, the storylines are getting better. But I laughed my ass off when Guerrero accidentally bladed his pec, lol. Any thoughts on Angle's heel turn? And is the WWE using Chavo correctly?

Innovator
02-19-2004, 10:03 PM
That was a great heel turn i thought. Also Chavo got the main event slot, good night

Mikey
02-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Wish I could see it :(

loopydate
02-19-2004, 10:09 PM
I loved what they did with Angle. He looked unstoppable, which is exactly what they need for the Eddie/Kurt WMXX match. Eddie's the "people's champion," overcoming all the odds to fight through a drug addiction, reclaim his dignity, and defeat a legit monster for the title. Now he has a psychopathic Olympian gunning for him who has already proved he's capable of anything. Perfect heel turn.

Loose Cannon
02-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah, Great turn. Mysterio coming down and taking a powerbomb and a throw to the outside by Angle really helped the turn. I think Kurt should chance his music or at least change his music to a different beat, a more slower one if you will, cause he looks to have a vicious side to him know and that music doesn't work for me with that kind of character.

Joe Kerr
02-19-2004, 10:19 PM
why are most heel turns consisting of a special guest referee? its almost a dead giveaway

Rock Bottom
02-19-2004, 11:02 PM
why are most heel turns consisting of a special guest referee? its almost a dead giveaway

Sometimes, they like to make the marks feel smart, I think, when they predict it. Easy to swerve ignorant people who don't know they're ignorant.

Anybody Thrilla
02-20-2004, 01:16 AM
The main event/heel turn was good.....as for the rest of the show, it was pretty much garbage. Why the hell did Angle/Cena wrestle the Bashams? Was that supposed to be punishment for them or something? Seemed more like a cakewalk. And, there was Hardcore Holly v. Big Show. I don't think I have to explain why that sucks. Were there even any other matches? I think RAW is handing it to Smackdown! in the storyline department, personally.

Corkscrewed
02-20-2004, 01:18 AM
I'd really like to hear the reasoning for his heel turn, though. I think it *might* have been too soon.

What was with the announcers saying nothing during that last bit, though. It was kinda weird. Angle turns. "What the...?" Angle kills Eddie. Silence. Rey comes down. "Here comes Rey!" Angle kills Rey. Continues to kill Eddie. Silence. Very odd.

The CyNick
02-20-2004, 01:34 AM
I thought that was one of the best heel turn that Ive ever seen.

I loved that they had Cole and Tazz silenced for most of the turn. When I was watching that, I was thinking if this was on RAW it would have been ruined because JR and King would be doing their over the top schtick, and screaming their heads off. The way they did on SD, Cole and Tazz sounded legitimately shocked, and they just let the actions and the crowd reactions tell the story, thats all that was needed.

I liked that Rey totally got destroyed by Angle, because that made him look like a huge badass.

Beyond that, I liked that they didn't play Kurt's music, for me that also added to the intensity of the angle. I agree with whoever said that it might be time to at leats alter Angle's music. They have one track from one of their CD's where its the same music, just really slow, might be time to bust that out.

I loved the Eddie celebration, they showed that the WWE actually does know how to make a guy look like a superstar. I dont know how long that deal was, but it really made Eddie look like the biggest star in the WWE, or at least on SD.

I liked Brock's interview, he seemed kinda nutty, which makes sense since he just lost his prized possession. Only wierd thing was that it seems that the WWE has booked Vince to now be God, which is odd.

I think the tag match with Kurt and Cena was done in part to set up Angle's heel turn, but also to set up something with Cena and Angle down the line.

Could have used a couple more matches, but I understand why they took so much time with the talking, point is the key matches for Mania were put over, and the Eddie/Kurt fued was made in one night.

Corkscrewed
02-20-2004, 01:40 AM
I liked Brock's interview, he seemed kinda nutty, which makes sense since he just lost his prized possession. Only wierd thing was that it seems that the WWE has booked Vince to now be God, which is odd.

Yeah. I wonder what HHH has to say about that.... :D

He came out a little too "spoiled little kid about to cry" though. On the other hand, it was a good promo. Keep up the good mic work, Lesnar.

The CyNick
02-20-2004, 01:56 AM
Yeah. I wonder what HHH has to say about that.... :D

He came out a little too "spoiled little kid about to cry" though. On the other hand, it was a good promo. Keep up the good mic work, Lesnar.

Yeah the crying bit was odd, but I think they were trying to make Lesnar out to me a lunatic since he lost the WWE title. If thats the idea, then its cool. If they want Lesnar to be a whiny bitch, well that didn't work for Kurt and it certainly wont work for Brock.

Rock Bottom
02-20-2004, 01:58 AM
I think it may have been a little too soon myself Corky. I was hoping Angle would string Eddie along the entire time until Wrestlemania, acting as his friend, and have people think they're getting face vs. face, but then at WM, something like... The ref is knocked out and Angle just unLOADS on Eddie with chairshots, and beats his ass as sickly as he did tonight. Then goes over and takes his belt.

That would not only be cool, but it would put Angle even more over than he is without really damaging Guerrero at all in my mind, and Guerrero could have chased and regained. Angle is nice and fresh however, and I think he is professional enough to pull this heel turn off at this juncture.

The one thing I don't see as being wise, is I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Kurt Angle called Eddie Guerrero a "stupid spi</>ck." (Note: Not condoning the use of this word, nor is it my view, it is a quote.) It occured while they were on the outside of the ring, and it was bleeped out.

Racial slurs don't need to be used to rally people behind Eddie. I like him, and I'm as white as can be.

All in all though, I like this Kurt Angle. He is a monster. Also, I wonder if Brock Lesnar is going to be back in the title run after Wrestlemania. They could be keeping Eddie in the spotlight. He really has the people going, and well, that's not something Brock Lesnar does. He is a good wrestler IMO, but I think they prematurely ejaculated Brock Lesnar when he went over The Rock for the WWE title.

It was a little much. Because now Lesnar acts scared of people and shi</>t.

Oh well, anyway. I liked the turn, but I don't like the way they did it.

Boondock Saint
02-20-2004, 02:10 AM
I thought Kurt said stupid bastard? Unless two things were bleeped out.

At the beginning, Michael Cole said Kurt is going to be in the main event of Mania for the 2nd year in a row. So maybe the WWE title will be the last match at Mania? Or did he just mean a main event caliber match in general? OR main event of the smackdown brand?

Rock Bottom
02-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Maybe my eyes were blurry or something, but I'm pretty sure whatever he said had "ick" in it. Maybe he said bastard, maybe dick, I dunno. But I think it was a slur.

JeremyTB29
02-20-2004, 02:16 AM
Am I the only one who is getting annoyed with Cena's rapping?.It was good for a couple of months because it was something new but now it's just getting annoying.When he was rapping to Kurt Angle I turned the channell and then when he started rapping to Big Show I turned the channell again.

I know many will disagree with me.

Rock Bottom
02-20-2004, 02:31 AM
I agree 100%. He doesn't even rap. He slowly talks, and they mostly suck. And I really think he's corny as hell. This guy makes Vanilla Ice look supreme. But if he's over with the fans, that's cool. I personally hate his promos, but they make fans laugh and it got him over ALOT more than Mr. "Ruthless Agression."

Corkscrewed
02-20-2004, 02:59 AM
Well, his raps haven't been as good lately, but whatever. If it gets too bad, I think he'll eventually start talking normally.

Cynic:
1. I would have bought the "too shocked to speak" part from the announcers (I even thought that at first), but then why the "Here comes Mysterio!" in the middle, more silence, then a faint "I can't believe this" at the end? Sounded too awkward, almost as if it was editted. I dunno.

2. Snapped psycho lunatic Brock is great. Of course, RAW has one of those, but whatever. Brock could make it different a little bit. He came off to me as whiney tonight, though. They better fix it... have him go off the deep end and start seeing things, etc... That'd be perfect. He can wrestle someone and totally unload, yelling "You're mine, Goldberg!" and pretend that he actually beat Bill everytime he wins. He's not just using his victims as practice for Bill. He actually THINKS his opponents ARE Bill.

The CyNick
02-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Well they would say "here comes Mysterio" because thats a break in the shocking actions that are taking place, and they were hoping he could stop it. When he failed they were back to being speachless about Kurt's actions. I thought the whole segment was flawless.

Loose Cannon
02-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh and by the way, another segment that I for got to mention which I loved, was the Eddie/Chavo segment. Does anyone else get reminded of the Bret/Owen feud with these two. I love how Chavo came out and said that even though he won the crusier title, Eddie still is in the spotlight and Eddie still gets the cheers. I think this feud is going to be exactly how Owen/Bret was. Even though Bret and Owen weren't having matches together anymore, Owen still mentioned how he hated Bret and how he was the best Hart in his interviews. That's exactly how I think this will be. There will always be a feud with Eddie and Chavo even though they might not be having matches on a regular basis down the road. I love stuff like this.

The CyNick
02-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Oh and by the way, another segment that I for got to mention which I loved, was the Eddie/Chavo segment. Does anyone else get reminded of the Bret/Owen feud with these two. I love how Chavo came out and said that even though he won the crusier title, Eddie still is in the spotlight and Eddie still gets the cheers. I think this feud is going to be exactly how Owen/Bret was. Even though Bret and Owen weren't having matches together anymore, Owen still mentioned how he hated Bret and how he was the best Hart in his interviews. That's exactly how I think this will be. There will always be a feud with Eddie and Chavo even though they might not be having matches on a regular basis down the road. I love stuff like this.

Yup, its actually interesting that they are using two separate Bret Hart angles. Eddie is playing Bret to Chavo's Owen Hart in their fued, and I think Kurt will play Bret in that he'll preach family values in his fued with Eddie (who will be Austin like with the lying, cheating, stealing and what not).

Tornado
02-20-2004, 03:05 PM
<font color=#33ffff>Bout time.
Kurt is much better and much more over as a heel.</font>

Loose Cannon
02-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Yup, its actually interesting that they are using two separate Bret Hart angles. Eddie is playing Bret to Chavo's Owen Hart in their fued, and I think Kurt will play Bret in that he'll preach family values in his fued with Eddie (who will be Austin like with the lying, cheating, stealing and what not).

Hmm interesting, I didn't see it the other way with Kurt. That would be a pretty good way to go with Kurt's heel turn. Maybe Kurt should bring in WGTT again to help him. You know I always wished they would do a stable with Kurt, Brock, and WGTT because they all have the amature wrestling backround. I think that would be cool.

Corkscrewed
02-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Well they would say "here comes Mysterio" because thats a break in the shocking actions that are taking place, and they were hoping he could stop it. When he failed they were back to being speachless about Kurt's actions. I thought the whole segment was flawless.

I suppose. I totally agree that Kurt's acting and execution of the actual turn was perfect, though. I think they could have used another week, though. Oh well, I'm just being nit-picky at this point.

RGWhat316
02-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Even though I read the spoilers, when I saw Kurt's promo at the beginning of the show talking about Eddie, the "I always knew you had it in you, I always knew....." That was definitely some forshadowing for the heel turn.

El Santo
02-20-2004, 08:17 PM

Yep, thought the same thing. And what with that weird "prayer" promo (wildly entertaining, but weird) that he pulled before his match with the Undertaker, power may be getting a bit full of himself. :p

As for the Eddie/Chavo thing, yup, those two are worthy successors to the Bret/Owen feud for the 21st century.

Shake
02-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Great to see Brock getting some acclaim, since I think he's improved dramatically on the mic. Not just tonight, but he plays the cocky heel brilliantly - HHH should take notes.

I haven't seen Smackdown yet (UK), but the heel turn sounds like it was done well, especially when Rey came in and Kurt powerbombed his tits off. I like how they've built up the feud gradually (with Angle acting peacemaker during the Guerrero fallout), and it's great to see WWE handle a feud with such care, patience and nous. A lot of the current feuds seem to be the same, which figures since Vince is putting a lot of effort into Wrestlemania XX. It would be nice to see him do it all the time, though :)