PDA

View Full Version : The latest WMXX main event news (spoiler)

Splaya
02-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Possible WrestleMania *SPOILERS*, Goldberg/WWE Rumor
Story By: Ben Johnson
February 20, 2004

The latest plan (keeping in mind that we still are a few weeks away from WrestleMania) sees Triple H winning the title at WrestleMania, only to drop the belt to Chris Benoit at Backlash, which is in Benoit's native Edmonton. This is definitely not confirmed, but seems very possible at this point.

Sources are saying that despite rumors, Goldberg was not offered a firm contract to stay with WWE. While WWE approached him with regards to continuing their deal, Goldberg apparently did not want a general offer and wanted to talk specifics. At this point, the most likely situation is that if Goldberg does work with WWE after WrestleMania, it will be on a special appearances deal.

Yeah I'm definitely not watching again if Big nose walks out with the title. Watch he will probably pin Shawn instead of Benoit. That really wouldn't kill benoit's credibility, it would just take a major hit.

This sucks :'(

c4g2
02-21-2004, 12:33 AM
Please don't let HHH win the title at WMXX... *prays*

EazyMack
02-21-2004, 03:08 AM
No, no, no... I know the WWE makes mistakes, but come on.

This can't happen. This won't happen. Look, it's not confirmed! The plans will change, I'm sure of it.

:(

Bad Guy
02-21-2004, 03:11 AM
It is going to happen man. Shame too, so many people will be watching...

Kristanna Vola
02-21-2004, 03:14 AM
:nono: yep, well might be the last WWE event I'll be watching for sometime (On Raw anyway)

Boondock Saint
02-21-2004, 03:29 AM
wtf

Kristanna Vola
02-21-2004, 03:35 AM
wtf

Bingo, damn I really wish Benoit could go back to SD right now. Already made his Royal Rumble win less as important by adding HBK. Lame.

Mr. Nerfect
02-21-2004, 03:41 AM
I know I'm likely to get flamed for this, but maybe it might be the best thing for the company to have Triple H retain. I would prefer to see Benoit walk out with the title. Michaels would be my second preference, then at Backlash Benoit could beat him in a Ladder Match.

I don't think Triple H has ever lost when he was in the WrestleMania main event, and whether you like him or not, that's something the WWE could utilize later on. Maybe having Triple H retaining with a pinfall on Shawn Michaels, then losing the title via submission in Edmonton would be the best direction for the company. Triple H keeps his dignity, Benoit gets the title in his hometown, Michaels gets to main event Mania again and it puts Triple H out of the title hunt for a while until he's done with Edge. Maybe Edge could even be involved in the Backlash main event?

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is Triple H retaining at WMXX might happen, and it may not be the worst thing to happen to the company. I would love to see Benoit win it, but I feel there is more money and success to play if Benoit wins it cleanly in Edmonton. I would rather see Benoit defend the title heading into Backlash, against Triple H (Benoit makes Michaels tap at Mania) while Michaels faces someone like Edge. BTW Triple H has said he doesn't want to feud with Benoit past WM, so I guess that can be inferred to either HBK or Benoit winning the title at Mania.

Bad Guy
02-21-2004, 03:44 AM
eh...

Nowhere Man
02-21-2004, 04:07 AM
How stupid are they, honestly? I mean, it's arguably the biggest night in wrestling history, and they're going to piss everyone off by having the bad guy win in the main event? That's quite easily the worst decision they could possibly make.

But you know what? F</>uck it. Let them close the biggest wrestling show of all time with a godawful finish that will ensure no one (except Hunter and Shawn) goes home happy. Let them turn off loyal fans once and for all. Let them choke to death on their egoes the same way that AWA and WCW went. Because, quite honestly, I don't care anymore.

From the summer of 1998 all the way to 2001, I watched every single WCW or WWF show that was on. It didn't matter that it might have been a meaningless episode of Saturday Night where the main event was Barry Horrowitz against Brian Adams, I still watched it, because I loved wrestling. I kept watching Nitro even in the days when the most avid of fans changed the channel for good. I kept watching ECW all the way to the bitter end. I sat through the InVasion, Katie Vick, Al Wilson, and the like. All because I kept telling myself "It's going to get better." Well, it's not.

Mania 20 is giving me a Cruiserweight Battle Royale, the in-ring return of Mick Foley, and a WWE Title match between Kurt Angle and Eddie Guerrero, and I still don't even care. I'm done watching that bullshit on my TV, and I'm sure as hell not paying $30.00 a month just to have them slap me in the face for being a wrestling fan. I'll probably still stick around here for captions, but I'm through waiting for an "up-swing" that's never going to come.

Ricky
02-21-2004, 05:56 AM
LOL

c4g2
02-21-2004, 09:56 AM
How stupid are they, honestly? I mean, it's arguably the biggest night in wrestling history, and they're going to piss everyone off by having the bad guy win in the main event? That's quite easily the worst decision they could possibly make.

But you know what? F</>uck it. Let them close the biggest wrestling show of all time with a godawful finish that will ensure no one (except Hunter and Shawn) goes home happy. Let them turn off loyal fans once and for all. Let them choke to death on their egoes the same way that AWA and WCW went. Because, quite honestly, I don't care anymore.

From the summer of 1998 all the way to 2001, I watched every single WCW or WWF show that was on. It didn't matter that it might have been a meaningless episode of Saturday Night where the main event was Barry Horrowitz against Brian Adams, I still watched it, because I loved wrestling. I kept watching Nitro even in the days when the most avid of fans changed the channel for good. I kept watching ECW all the way to the bitter end. I sat through the InVasion, Katie Vick, Al Wilson, and the like. All because I kept telling myself "It's going to get better." Well, it's not.

Mania 20 is giving me a Cruiserweight Battle Royale, the in-ring return of Mick Foley, and a WWE Title match between Kurt Angle and Eddie Guerrero, and I still don't even care. I'm done watching that bullshit on my TV, and I'm sure as hell not paying $30.00 a month just to have them slap me in the face for being a wrestling fan. I'll probably still stick around here for captions, but I'm through waiting for an "up-swing" that's never going to come.
Chill.

MVP
02-21-2004, 10:31 AM
I think it's a pretty stupid idea for WWE to have Triple H retain at Madison Square Garden just so Benoit can win the World title in his hometown.

This is Wrestlemania XX, it blows anybody's hometown out of the water.

Kane Knight
02-21-2004, 10:39 AM
I think it's a pretty stupid idea for WWE to have Triple H retain at Madison Square Garden just so Benoit can win the World title in his hometown.

And yet, anyone doubt that HHH is using this as an excuse?

blake639raw
02-21-2004, 10:54 AM
I don't know why everybody is acting so surprised. Besides, I think Angle/Eddie should get the main event spot. Two of the best, most over wrestlers in the company, with the classic WWE title on the line. The World Heavyweight Title doesn't really have no history in MSG, and would be stupid to have that main event. I think the 3 way won't go on last, so that way HHH can still win his match, and they can send the fans home happy with Eddie winning. And just because Backlash is in Benoit's hometown doesn't necessarily mean that he will win the title there. Booker T anyone?

Kane Knight
02-21-2004, 10:58 AM
And just because Backlash is in Benoit's hometown doesn't necessarily mean that he will win the title there. Booker T anyone?

Actually, hometown screwjobs are a common and recurrnig theme...

blake639raw
02-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Actually, hometown screwjobs are a common and recurrnig theme... There is a good chance that Benoit will win the title at Backlash, but as far as business goes, it's a bad move. Okay, so they'll have an easy sellout for the arena, but you figure that only a small percentage of the people that order WrestleMania XX will order Backlash probably. It will be a great moment no doubt, and probably a great match, but if they are serious about pushing Benoit, he should beat HHH at Mania, and Michaels at Backlash. No other way.

Kane Knight
02-21-2004, 11:43 AM
There is a good chance that Benoit will win the title at Backlash, but as far as business goes, it's a bad move. Okay, so they'll have an easy sellout for the arena, but you figure that only a small percentage of the people that order WrestleMania XX will order Backlash probably. It will be a great moment no doubt, and probably a great match, but if they are serious about pushing Benoit, he should beat HHH at Mania, and Michaels at Backlash. No other way.

No argument. I'm just saying it happens, not that it'll be smart for them to do so.

If Triple H wins at Wrestlemania, I think I'm just gonna stop watching. There's only so much of this bullshit I'll bother with...And if the company can't be asked to give a fu</>ck, I don't think I'm gonna either.

Savio
02-21-2004, 11:44 AM
They allready screwed up the main event enough with putting shawn micheals in it. If they screw up with HHH winning the title then fu{k raw and fu{k HHH. Also for anyone who's going, If HHH wins there please chant WWE SUCKS! (I don't know if I'm going yet)

blake639raw
02-21-2004, 11:50 AM
No argument. I'm just saying it happens, not that it'll be smart for them to do so.

If Triple H wins at Wrestlemania, I think I'm just gonna stop watching. There's only so much of this bullshit I'll bother with...And if the company can't be asked to give a fu</>ck, I don't think I'm gonna either. Definately. I've already decided that if HHH or HBK wins at Mania, I'm gonna stop watching RAW. If I wanna see Orton, Y2J, Benoit, ect., I'll just order some special comp. tapes off the net. I'm not gonna support that shit anymore.

blake639raw
02-21-2004, 11:53 AM
They allready screwed up the main event enough with putting shawn micheals in it. If they screw up with HHH winning the title then fu{k raw and fu{k HHH. Also for anyone who's going, If HHH wins there please chant WWE SUCKS! (I don't know if I'm going yet) Or how about is the MSG crowd chanted a "BORING" chant after HHH wins. The thought of 20,000 fans chanting boring in the main event of their biggest, most hyped show ever would surely be a sign that HHH needs to take a backseat. Even though the WWE would blame the chants on Benoit, and make him wrestle against La Resistance on Heat every week.

Evil Vito
02-21-2004, 12:08 PM
LOL

<font color=goldenrod>You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ricky again.

That wasn't good reputation either, btw.</font> :)

Azriel
02-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Eh, the way I see it, as long as Benoit wins the title at some point I'll be fine with that.

The Naitch
02-21-2004, 02:05 PM

I got to words for you that will bring "the upswing" back to the WWE:

John Cena ;)

Nowhere Man
02-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Maybe, until they decide to move him over to Raw only to decide they don't want to feud with him after all.

Cena could definitely carry the SD brand by the end of the year, but I'm not getting optimistic about it. Especially when it gets to be time for the Annual Big Show Main Event Push.

Savio
02-21-2004, 02:36 PM
<font color=goldenrod>You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ricky again.

That wasn't good reputation either, btw.</font> :)
Heh. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Big Vito 22 again.

BTW that was a good rep. :y:

The Icon of Elisim
02-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Probably just a rumour started by the WWE to try and make the ending to WM more exciting.

I really doubt that they would let the heel win the main event of Wrestlemania. They let HHH win it in 2000 and it looked awful, I'd like to think that they learned their lesson.

Funky Fly
02-21-2004, 03:08 PM
There is a good chance that Benoit will win the title at Backlash, but as far as business goes, it's a bad move. Okay, so they'll have an easy sellout for the arena, but you figure that only a small percentage of the people that order WrestleMania XX will order Backlash probably. It will be a great moment no doubt, and probably a great match, but if they are serious about pushing Benoit, he should beat HHH at Mania, and Michaels at Backlash. No other way.

E-Town always sells out anyway. It's always a hot crowd, where I'm from. It's just more of the usual bullshit from HHH.

I'm getting sick of this crap. I tell you, it's WM XIX all over again.

The Naitch
02-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I actually thought Booker was gonna come out with the strap, but no he didn't.

Corkscrewed
02-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Here's the thing: I won't be upset if HHH wins as long as he pins Michaels. BENOIT CANNOT BE PINNED. Everyone wants Benoit to win so badly that HHH retaining would likely to incite a riot, but a huge reaction like that is just what the WWE needs. Say Benoit Germans HBK like five times in a row while the ref is knocked out, then puts him in the crossface. HBK taps, but the ref doesn't see it. HHH sledgehammers Benoit, dumps him out, then picks HBK up and pedigrees him. HHH wins.

Well, MSG will get a little messy, but in that scenario, Benoit had it won and would have won the match won had it not been for Hunter. Then Chris goes over HHH at Backlash and solidifies his status as better than HHH.

And for good matter, let HHH tap out earlier (but the ref didn't see it).

HHH will get HUGE heat afterwards.

Of course, Benoit winning at Wrestlemania would be a lot better, but that'd actually not be too surprising, IMO. It's kinda like NWO, where everyone knew Eddie would win, so it took some of the pop out of it, at least for me.

blake639raw
02-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Here's the thing: I won't be upset if HHH wins as long as he pins Michaels. BENOIT CANNOT BE PINNED. Everyone wants Benoit to win so badly that HHH retaining would likely to incite a riot, but a huge reaction like that is just what the WWE needs. Say Benoit Germans HBK like five times in a row while the ref is knocked out, then puts him in the crossface. HBK taps, but the ref doesn't see it. HHH sledgehammers Benoit, dumps him out, then picks HBK up and pedigrees him. HHH wins.

Well, MSG will get a little messy, but in that scenario, Benoit had it won and would have won the match won had it not been for Hunter. Then Chris goes over HHH at Backlash and solidifies his status as better than HHH.

And for good matter, let HHH tap out earlier (but the ref didn't see it).

HHH will get HUGE heat afterwards.

Of course, Benoit winning at Wrestlemania would be a lot better, but that'd actually not be too surprising, IMO. It's kinda like NWO, where everyone knew Eddie would win, so it took some of the pop out of it, at least for me. I guess if Benoit isn't winning at WrestleMania, that's the best way to do it. HHH can never put somebody over for the title without going over them beforehand. But still, I'd rather see Benoit defeat HHH at WM in a one on one match for the title, then beat Michaels next month at Backlash.

The CyNick
02-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Crowd went ape shit at NWO when Eddie won, if they could recreate that at Mania they would be very happy.

I honestly dont know what the plan is for the Mania match, Ive never heard of the source of this rumour, so obviously you have to take it with a grain of salt.

That said, I could see HHH retaining, but as has been said, if he is going to retain, then it shouldn't go on last, I'm a firm believer that this show has to end with a bayface win. Whether thats Benoit, Eddie or Taker, it doesn't really matter, but I'm thinking that based on some of Eddie's numbers over the past few weeks, he should close out the show.

If Hunter does retain, it will yet another example of why the RAW brand will never get any better until Hunter's career is over. There is no proof that Hunter is any kind of draw (200,000 buys at Armageddon was the lowest number in years), and yeah he's had a couple of good matches with HBk this year, but who cares? Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, and even Mark Henry could have good matches with HBK, because he's that damn good.

Benoit winning the title in Backlash would be a good deal because he'll get a nice hometown pop, but I think it would be much more effective to have Benoit win the title in front of the largest PPV audience of the year and then defend it the next month in front of a rabid crowd. That would make him seem like a huge star. But if he loses at Mania, even if its without him getting pinned, he looks like every other guy on the roster (except Hunter) who loses half the time and wins the other half. Which of course doesn't create superstars, it creates a roster of guys like RVD, Booker T, Kane, Jericho and everyone else on RAW.

Its not like the WWE doesn't know how to make a star, they're doing a tremendous job on Smackdown with Eddie, but on RAW is HHH they cant do it for some 'unknown' reason.

Sensei Of Mattitude
02-21-2004, 07:23 PM
i think HBK will beat HHH and wint he title. From there Benoit beats HBK at Backlash

Mikey
02-21-2004, 08:24 PM
If Benoit dosent win the title at Mania or Backlash he will be competing for the Intercontinental Title for the rest of his WWE carrer :(

Pegasus Crawford
02-21-2004, 09:53 PM
I really doubt that they would let the heel win the main event of Wrestlemania. They let HHH win it in 2000 and it looked awful, I'd like to think that they learned their lesson.

Do they ever learn from their mistakes? :-\