PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a wrestling fan

Marc the Smark
04-02-2007, 11:37 PM
You know how these threads work. You confess about things that put you in the minority or admit to things that most people won't readily admit to. Here's one of mine ---

I don't think "The Attitude Era" was the pinnacle or golden era of wrestling... I think it may have been its lowest point. Let me clarify this by saying that I enjoyed *some* of the product during this time. The workrate was really good and there were a lot of talented performers around during this time.

What really turned me off was the raunchiness and seediness that was so prevalent. I was actually embarassed to call myself a wrestling fan during this time. The obscenities pushed the envelope way too far and the product became something I could no longer identify with or relate to.

So what do you need to confess??

Bad Company
04-02-2007, 11:39 PM
you suck.

El Fangel
04-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Ok. I have to confess that last comment was funny, wait you said miniority right, never mind.

Jeritron
04-02-2007, 11:52 PM
First of all, as wrestling fans we all are in the minority. And as smart marks who post about things involving the business and fantasy booking and having favorites based on things other than size and markdom and the level of push the promotion gives them, we are in the minority of the minority.

Jura
04-02-2007, 11:54 PM
I confess that I thought this was going to be a dirty thread. You know, like a "confess the dirty things you've done while watching wrestling or dirty things you've done that were related to wrestling" kind of deal.

I am a little disappointed.

Xero
04-03-2007, 12:16 AM
I confess that-

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/Wrestling/batistasmash.jpg

Oops, Batista doesn't approve of this thread, sorry.

The One
04-03-2007, 12:35 AM
I mark out for Waltman.

I'm a long standing fan of Jarrett.

I don't care about the spinner belt one way or the other.

Jeritron
04-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Here's one....

I respect and like Vince Russo. I think he gets a bad rap for being the guy to be handed a grenade without a pin. I think he tried to put over young stars, rejuvenate the show, and provide new angles instead of depending on long overdone stars and storylines. I think he dealt with a whole boatload of ridiculous contracts, huge egos and lunatic perceptions of the business. I also think he was forced to be a politician and overbooker because of this. I also feel for the guy for the fact that he was a major part of WWF and great success, and had many friends and respect among coworkers and 2 years go by and suddenly he's blackballed.

That's a confession, because everyone hates Russo and I know his faults but I respect his strenghts.

I just watch Bash at the Beach and that incident with Jarret/Hogan and I can't see how hardcore wrestling fans can't have some level of respect

The One
04-03-2007, 01:03 AM
I have tons of respect for Russo. He's a fantastic idea man, but he's not a good booker. It's like handing an overly artistic guy a camera and asking them to make a movie. It's sensory overload. And that's what Russo was. Far too much flash, not enough substance. But I respect the hell out of him, and agree, he was put in a bad place.

Mr. Nerfect
04-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Yeah, Russo gets too much shit. If he and Paul Heyman put water under the bridge, where it belongs, they could come up with some great ideas for the industry.

Jeritron
04-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Yea, the thing about Russo is more about me thinking he doesn't get his deserved credit and often gets a bad rap. As for his booking, it has its ups and downs. Literally as well.

I see Russos booking in the late 90s as some of the greatest swerves and angles of all time. He at least tries.
As for his overbooking and swerving, yes it proved to get a tad out of hand without McMahons conservative oversight.
But look at things now, I haven't been swerved in so long and I just wish I could get a glimpse of that era some time.

KayfabeMan
04-03-2007, 01:34 AM
I loved WCW. A lot.

Dorkchop
04-03-2007, 01:55 AM
I find Russo has a lot of great ideas... maybe even too many ideas (not all great, just too many ideas and thoughts in general). It's a matter of simplifying everything.

Russo in full control is a bad idea, but having someone to filter out some of the ridiculousness is good. I guess that's why he was so good in the WWF. McMahon ahd the final say.

Mr. Nerfect
04-03-2007, 02:53 AM
I really liked Stephanie McMahon as SmackDown! General Manager.

thedamndest
04-03-2007, 03:02 AM
Randy Orton's package makes me feel inadequate as a man.

Mr. Nerfect
04-03-2007, 03:08 AM
Randy Orton's package makes me feel <s>inadequate as a man.</s> he's not taking the drugs he's been linked to in the steroid scandal, but rather selling them off to his high schools friends.

Mercury Bullet
04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
I dont particularly like Russo, but ever since the BATB thing with Hogan/Jarrett I have a lot more respect for him than I do alot of people in the business.

The Attitude Era being the apex of wrestling is up for debate, but I certainly dont think it was the lowest point, not by a long shot. We might be in the midst of the lowest point right now.

.....And I still like X-Pac too.

If he came out with HBK and did a Bronco Buster on Cena that would be my biggest mark out moment of the past few years.

Mercury Bullet
04-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Randy Orton's package makes me feel <s>inadequate as a man.</s> he's not taking the drugs he's been linked to in the steroid scandal, but rather selling them off to his high schools friends.

Yeh, roids don't allow for one to be packing that much heat.

Theo Dious
04-03-2007, 11:49 AM
What do I have to confess? I liked and very much enjoyed the Invasion. As the ultimate showdown between WWE and WCW it blew, but it had a lot of good moments. Shane appearing on Nitro, to singing along with Austin and Angle, Booker T vs the Rock (the closest thing to a "dream match" we got out of it,) RVD vs Jeff Hardy, Jericho finally hitting the main event in HHH's abscence (oh, and HHH's abscence was also a good feature of it,) copious appearances of William Regal, Heyman instead of Lawler on the mic, Edge vs Christian, and damn it all, I even enjoyed Kane and Undertaker vs Kronik. 2001 for me was the last year of wrestling in which I never switched on a Raw, Smackdown, or PPV with a feeling of "brace yourself for the pain." From the moment Austin won the Rumble to the moment Jericho won the Undisputed Championship, I was fully entertained.

Jeritron
04-03-2007, 12:32 PM
2001 to me, and probably most, is more of a dissapoitment than a creative low. Under normal scrutiny, the time period was very good. The matches were great, there were great fueds and several dream matches as well as a decent storyline. The roster alone was worth marking out, and it was also still at a time where the attitude era was still cookin. Some moments like the reformation of ECW, Booker's arrival, Angles title win, all things Jericho and RVD were gold.

The year started off absolutely amazing. It had one of the greatest Royal Rumbles ever, probably the best Wrestlemania ever and King of the Ring was one of the last truly great ppvs of that era. Summerslam was even amazing. The Jericho/Benoit push was fantastic as well as The Two Man Power trip and all the anticipation of the Shane/Vince powderkeg for the eventual invasion angle.

The problem lies with the execution. It wasn't that the product or quality of the product was lacking, it was certainly still there. It's just that for wrestling fans of all kinds it was a massive dissapointment. It was barely epic and even though it was chock full of great matches, fueds and talent it was nothign near what the invasion angle to cap off the most heated promotional battle and popularity high point in professional wrestling history.
The WCW wasn't star studded enough, and the stars it had were buried. They had no Bischoff or Nash Goldberg Steiner. All things they should have waited to have in place. ECW was immediately consolidated into the alliance and buried, as well as the Alliance being full of WWF names rather than actual stars from the other side of the war. DDP was buried and never given a match with Taker, and the whole thing was just a firecracker when it should have been a nuclear bomb. It also killed dead the attitude era and stopped the momentum of stars like Booker T, Jericho and RVD dead in their tracks.

So yea, pound for pound compared to any other time period 2001 was great. It was a good time by normal means. But to me it's just something that, although entertaining by regular standars, could have and should have been 100 times better.

Just my two cents.

Theo Dious
04-03-2007, 12:39 PM
So yea, pound for pound compared to any other time period 2001 was great. It was a good time by normal means. But to me it's just something that, although entertaining by regular standars, could have and should have been 100 times better.

Yeah, you know, it's kind of like a hunter shooting an enormous, prize-worthy deer, but filling so full of holes in the process that it won't make a good trophy.

Jeritron
04-03-2007, 12:42 PM
The way the Invasion angle went down is more like having Jenna Jameson on all fours on your bed and settling for a handjob

Crossrine
04-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I have one. I never like WCW... Dont yell at me, yell at Paul Heyman's kool aid that he was handing out.

BigDaddyCool
04-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Confessions of a wrestling fan...I agree with Vince, if a guy isn't a certain size, then he has to be better than great to get a really push.

DAMN iNATOR
04-03-2007, 01:57 PM
I really liked Stephanie McMahon as SmackDown! General Manager.

Wouldn't mind having her back as SD! G.M., although it looks like right now T.Lo. is in for the long run...

Stickman
04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
ECW was not great wrestling.

BigDaddyCool
04-03-2007, 02:47 PM
ECW was not great wrestling.

Not generally, no.

thecc
04-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I mark out for The Necro Butcher.

GAYRAPE
04-03-2007, 03:47 PM
I was a Ken Shamrock mark and would love to see him back.

GAYRAPE
04-03-2007, 03:50 PM
I also enjoyed Hogan at the beginning of the nWo when he first turned heel but of course got tired of him week after week.

El Fangel
04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I am likely to get flamed for this, but I enjoyed the Invasion, it could have been far better done, but it was somewhat entertaining to see all the WWE/WCW/ECW guys battling it out, even though most wasn't that great.

Stickman
04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I can't stand Stephanie McMahon.
I liked the 1-2-3 Kid

Arnold HamNegger
04-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I loved Daffney, Crowbar and David Flair.

GAYRAPE
04-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Oh and I love X-Pac. :D