PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity v Wrestler

BigDaddyCool
04-13-2007, 03:09 PM
How do you feel about Celebrities v Wrestler fueds? Personally I hate them for the most part. And I don't think the celebrity should ever go over a wrestler execpt in very special situations. The few times I didn't have a problem when the shoot fight with Butterbean v Bart Gunn or when Tyson punched out Micheals because neither was a wrestling match and it is believable it could happen.

KayfabeMan
04-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, as someone who has something of that nature lined up for later this year, I will not comment. :lol: It's sometimes good for the business with a situation like Andy Kaufman or LT or Butterbean, etc. - but I totally dislike crap like K-Fed's angle [mainly because of the way it was booked, not him himself; he was decent] and such. :y:

Theo Dious
04-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Celebrities like Butterbean, Mike Tyson, even Lawrence Taylor I don't mind, because they have a business in a sport of physical strength and ability. Trump was okay in his role; mostly what I disliked about that was the horrible match that was put together and the continuing rape of the IC title's credibility. Minutes-long appearances like Mark Cuban getting RKO'ed aren't bad. Jay Leno in WCW was pathetic and David Arquette was worse. K-Fed I think was worse than all of it. It says something when a legion of people who dislike Cena were still disgusted seeing him job to a boy-band pansy.
Like I said in another thread, celebrity involvement in WWE should be kept to "Oh look who's in the audience." If they must go further, keep it to people who will either not wrestle themselves, or who aren't of a disposition that would lead us to believe that they would be killed just by looking at a real wrestler.

BigDaddyCool
04-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Celebrities like Butterbean, Mike Tyson, even Lawrence Taylor I don't mind, because they have a business in a sport of physical strength and ability. Trump was okay in his role; mostly what I disliked about that was the horrible match that was put together and the continuing rape of the IC title's credibility. Minutes-long appearances like Mark Cuban getting RKO'ed aren't bad. Jay Leno in WCW was pathetic and David Arquette was worse. K-Fed I think was worse than all of it. It says something when a legion of people who dislike Cena were still disgusted seeing him job to a boy-band pansy.
Like I said in another thread, celebrity involvement in WWE should be kept to "Oh look who's in the audience." If they must go further, keep it to people who will either not wrestle themselves, or who aren't of a disposition that would lead us to believe that they would be killed just by looking at a real wrestler.

I have a problem with LT going over Bam Bam.

And, I have no problem with WWE panning to people in the audience, that is cool.

I also don't mind if a celebrity is part of a story line, as long as they aren't the story line and take up the story line unless they could be seen as an actual match for who ever.

BigDaddyCool
04-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Oh, and Andy lost and go "injured" against Lawler, that is acceptable.

Theo Dious
04-13-2007, 03:38 PM
I have a problem with LT going over Bam Bam.

I wouldn't, if it had been booked better and hadn't been the MAIN FUCKING EVENT of Wrestlemania.

Juan
04-13-2007, 04:36 PM
If they could all be as great as the Kauffman/Lawler feud was, then I'd all for celebrity/wrestler feuds.

Hanso Amore
04-14-2007, 12:31 AM
One Word......

Robocop....

Nuff said.

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2007, 02:16 AM
I actually don't have a problem with the concept of a feud. It can help increase interest, and what-not. I don't think a celebrity should take to the ring, though.

K-Fed really should have gotten Johnny Nitro to do his dirty work, Jay Leno should have never stepped into a ring, etc.

So yeah, I think it all comes down to how the feud is run. I wouldn't mind seeing a celebrity have a feud with a wrestler, but have the celebrity no want to fight the wrestler, but just engage in wars of words. Have the celebrity go to magazines, and get them to run articles about how the wrestler is a prick. Basically make it ego vs. ego.

Shit like that could be really cool. Where you run into a problem is with how you pay it off. Perhaps either a beat-down by the wrestler on the celebrity (not an actual match), or something like they did with Donald Trump, with representatives getting the the nod?

PapaGeorgio
04-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Oh, and Andy lost and go "injured" against Lawler, that is acceptable.
Technically Andy won the match by DQ. Also they didn't just have one match, their feud lasted some time with different matches coming about. Recall Lawler and Andy having to tag up as well together. But you have to look at how Andy played it off, which was fairly brilliant. First he wrestled all those women to give him a little credibility. But when he went up against other men he knew he had no chance and portrayed it like that. Additionally he was the heel in the feud, usually celebrities are the face in the feuds.

Additionally, lets not forget Drew Carey was in the Royal Rumble and lasted longer then some legit wrestlers.

KayfabeMan
04-14-2007, 07:30 PM
I think it's acceptable for a wrestler to lose to a non-wrestler, depending on how you portray it. That's all.

FourFifty
04-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Most celeb vs wrestler story arcs do not have a big enough pay off.

Now I've said some horrid things in the past about K-Fed, but I wouldn't mind seeing him come back, fulltime. Put him in the midcard as a manager. People already dislike him, so the WWE wouldn't have to do too much to get him over. From what I read K-Fed was a pretty decent guy backstage, so why not?

04-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Personally, the Drew Carey one was alright. He didn't do anything...the Hardy's eliminated each other, then Kane came out, and Carey jumped over the top rope to get away. That's one of the better celebrity appearances imo. :y:

Well, besides Pete Rose.

lort
04-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Celebrities as Mangers works fine (personally I thought Trump did great and he was much better on the mic than half of the WWE roster) they just shouldn't ever be in the ring.

Theo Dious
04-16-2007, 11:28 AM
One Word......

Robocop....

Nuff said.

Watching the Four Horsemen running in terror from fucking Robocop makes my eyes shoot blood.

You can hardly even count him though. Robocop was bringing a fictional character into wrestling, not a celebrity.

Chuck Norris as the enforcer of the Undertaker vs Yokozuna casket rematch was awesome though.

BigDaddyCool
04-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Watching the Four Horsemen running in terror from fucking Robocop makes my eyes shoot blood.

You can hardly even count him though. Robocop was bringing a fictional character into wrestling, not a celebrity.

Chuck Norris as the enforcer of the Undertaker vs Yokozuna casket rematch was awesome though.

Yeah, I forgot about that. That is cool because you know Chuck Norris could take on any wrestler and win. Mostly because Chuck Norris has two speeds, walk and kill.

Jeritron
04-16-2007, 11:37 AM
His stare down of Yokozuna is one of the most markout moments ever

Jeritron
04-16-2007, 11:44 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SINzFJCbBCk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SINzFJCbBCk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>