PDA

View Full Version : Steve Austin Speaks On McMahon, Current WWE Product, More

Avenger
04-24-2007, 05:36 AM
www.prowrestling.com (http://www.prowrestling.com)

Steve Austin (http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/4082#) Speaks On McMahon, Current WWE (http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/4082#) Product, More
Date Added: April 23, 2007
Story By: Matthew Boone (http://www.prowrestling.com/php-bin/contact/index.php?email=mattboone_420@yahoo.com)
<!-- printinclude body -->Tony Bitkowski sent along the following recap of Steve Austin on the Mark Madden radio show:

I live in Pittsburgh PA and was listening to the Mark Madden Radio show that
broadcasts everyday from 3- 7 p.m. on ESPN radio 1250. Today, one of his
guests was Stone Cold (http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/4082#) and he had some interesting things to say.

-Mark asked Austin if he can physically wrestle (http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/4082#). Austin says yes, he can
physically wrestle but he is very well off and doesn't need the money. He
said he wants to be able to fish and hunt in the next 10-15 years without
any pain. Austin again said he has so much money that he has saved over the
years since he was huge back in the late 90's.

-Austin then goes on to say that he could come back right now and become the
top guy again in the company within 2 years. Then he mentions that he would
never go through that again however.

-Mark asked Austin how he liked the Battle of the Billionaires and Austin
replied that he Liked/disliked the match. 1st, Austin hated Ford Field.
Austin said that Ford Field was so big and cavernous that the sound went
straight to the roof instead of outwards. Austin and the other wrestlers
throughout the night couldn't tell if the fans were liking it or not. Austin
explained how he would judge the way his match was going by fan reaction and
assured the listeners that he never has choreographed a match before. 2nd,
Austin said he doesn't like being in the mid card despite the hype going
into the match. He would much rather be involved in the main event where he
said it is more fun.

-Mark asked him if he would come back then who would he like to work with.
Austin said he would love to have a program with Mr. Kennedy in about 3-4
years. Kennedy needs to get more time under his belt. Austin also said he
would love to battle HBK again but only if it is a very long series. Austin
said that he loves John Cena (http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/4082#) and all the hard work he does. Also, Austin
loves Finlay and his ability in the ring. Austin also threw love out to The
Rock.

-Mark asked about the movie and Austin said it is very different from
wrestling seeing as Austin never wrestled by a set pace and in the movies
everything was choreographed. Austin puts over Vinnie Jones and says he
would have been a hell of a heel in the WWE (http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/4082#).

-Mark asked about a match against Hogan. Austin flat out said that he
doesn't like Hulk Hogan (http://www.prowrestling.com/article/news/4082#) because of his off screen personality. Austin also
says that he would never wrestle him because their fighting styles are too
different and the match would never be close to a 5 star match.

Hanso Amore
04-24-2007, 05:54 AM
Of course he couldn't have a 5 star rating with hogan, he has never had a 5 star match period.

Still love him though

Dave Youell
04-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Would be cool to see him come back for a year wrestling a few guys, him VS HBK again would be sweet

Avenger
04-24-2007, 06:22 AM
Of course he couldn't have a 5 star rating with hogan, he has never had a 5 star match period.

Still love him thoughI have to disagree there.

Wrestlemania X7 with The Rock and the 2/3 falls match at No Way Out with Triple H were very near to five star matches. Perfect main event matches.

Avenger
04-24-2007, 06:22 AM
But yeah I can't help but love Stone Cold.

One word - awesome.

Slow
04-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Mostly today cause he slated Hogan!

Dave Youell
04-24-2007, 07:25 AM
I have to disagree there.

Wrestlemania X7 with The Rock and the 2/3 falls match at No Way Out with Triple H were very near to five star matches. Perfect main event matches.
Mania 13,14 and 15 were also fucking awesome

Avenger
04-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Absolutely. The 14 main event is often overlooked as a great match. :y:

Theo Dious
04-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Props to Austin for being real about everything. Some people might see ego in some of his words, but everything he said is quite valid.

Also, as someone from Pittsburgh, Mark Madden is a grade-A asshole. Wasn't he fired from WCW for refusing to stop calling DDP old?

Ben Rodrigues
04-24-2007, 08:57 AM

Still love him though

What? Survivor Series 1996 and Wrestlemania 13 - against Bret Hart were both top notch matches.

Jeritron
04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Yea he's had his share of 4 1/2 or 5 star matches.

IC Champion
04-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Im pretty sure Austins match at Wrestlemania 13 wiuth Bret was a 5 star match.

Kane Knight
04-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Austin then goes on to say that he could come back right now and become the
top guy again in the company within 2 years. Then he mentions that he would
never go through that again however.

Austin would become the top guy simply by returning. No "2 years."

1st, Austin hated Ford Field.
Austin said that Ford Field was so big and cavernous that the sound went
straight to the roof instead of outwards. Austin and the other wrestlers
throughout the night couldn't tell if the fans were liking it or not. Austin
explained how he would judge the way his match was going by fan reaction and
assured the listeners that he never has choreographed a match before.

:lol: I wonder if that's the excuse WWE's using for everything.

Destor
04-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Austin has had tons of five star matches.

Avenger
04-24-2007, 10:53 AM

Still love him thoughJust reading this comment again makes me see how ridiculous it really is. No five star matches PERIOD?!

KayfabeMan
04-24-2007, 11:10 AM
He's had lots of 5 star matches.

He had many of them as "Stunning" Steve Austin.

Corndad
04-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Props to Austin for being real about everything. Some people might see ego in some of his words, but everything he said is quite valid.

Also, as someone from Pittsburgh, Mark Madden is a grade-A asshole. Wasn't he fired from WCW for refusing to stop calling DDP old?

well as someone else from Pittsburgh who listens to the show at times, I would agree Madden is an asshole, but seems like a good interview.

Theo Dious
04-24-2007, 12:02 PM
well as someone else from Pittsburgh who listens to the show at times, I would agree Madden is an asshole, but seems like a good interview.

True, I just hate him and have to bring that up whenever I hear his name.

Slow
04-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Pretty much all his storylines were 5 star as well

Avenger
04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Yep. Everything he touched turned to gold for a while there.

Stickman
04-24-2007, 03:23 PM
WHAT?

Theo Dious
04-24-2007, 03:25 PM
HE SAID, EVERYTHING HE TOUCHED TURNED TO GOLD FOR A WHILE THERE.

Deaf ass bastard.

Stickman
04-24-2007, 03:38 PM
WHAT?

Avenger
04-24-2007, 05:00 PM
WHAT?

Boondock Saint
04-24-2007, 05:08 PM
His match with Angle at Summerslam 2001 was 5 stars IMO. 4 at the very least.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
04-24-2007, 05:09 PM
WHO?

M-A-G
04-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with Austin about a match with Hogan. No way it could approach 5 or even 3 stars considering everyone facing Hogan who doesn't have a plodding, slugging-it-out style has to lower it down a sh*tload of notches just to accomodate His Hulkness. Mind you he also just mentioned working with or liking some wrestlers. He never said anything about putting them over. But, yeah, Austin was the goods.

Corkscrewed
04-24-2007, 06:47 PM
WHERE?

Nice comments tho. Pretty honest, mostly agreeable. If he says he's gonna stay away, I hope he does. And if he's got a good retirement going, good for him! :y:

NeanderCarl
04-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Austin has had a shitload of 5 star matches. Another seldom mentioned one being Austin vs Dude Love, Over The Edge '98.

His match against Undertaker at SummerSlam: Highway To Hell was another classic (most of his other matches against Taker have been the pits), the two PPV matches against Bret Hart, his match vs Shawn Michaels at King Of The Ring '97 only misses out on a 5 star rating from me because of the lousy finish, the Three Stages of Hell, all three of his WrestleMania matches against the Rock, his Raw match vs Chris Benoit.... plus many more, including some great Hollywood Blondes and 'Stunning' Steve matches.

The One
04-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Other than FLAIR or MICHAELS, I don't think there is a single other wrestler with as many 5 Star matches as Austin. So whoever said he never had any, please give yourself a swirly on my behalf...unless you were talking about Hogan never having any 5 Star Matches, which is true, but then you said you still love him, which puts you right back on the dumbass list. So either way, go away.

Oh and Austin is dead on about everything in that interview...except that it wouldn't take 2 years to become the top guy, he would just kind of be it by default.

Pepsi Man
04-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't so much agree with Austin having so many "five star matches". I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but especially most of these ones listed from the Stone Cold years don't exactly come to my mind when I think of the words "five star match". Then again, no matches really come to my mind in particular when I think of that phrase, but that's besides the point.

Austin's afraid to fuck up his neck, it's as simple as that. If that weren't the case, I'm sure he would've been willing to work matches if just for Mania the past few years.

Jeritron
04-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Austin vs Bret Survivor Series 96
Austin vs Bret WM13
Austin vs Shawn WM14
Austin vs Dude Love
Austin vs Taker
Austin vs Rock WM15
Austin vs HHH 3 stages of hell
Austin vs Rock WM17
Austin vs Benoit vs Jericho KOTR2001
Austin vs Angle SS2001

All of those are 5 stars or damn close. And thats just during his singles WWE run. I can't think of specific events, but some of his matches in the Hollywood Blondes in the early 90s were fantastic as well.

shit, I'd even call his cage match with Vince a close to 5 star match, not for the holds or the actual action, but the psychology and storyline as well as the overall character and crowd involvement made that match a goddamn classic.

Jeritron
04-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Austin's afraid to fuck up his neck, it's as simple as that. If that weren't the case, I'm sure he would've been willing to work matches if just for Mania the past few years.

Perhaps he'd be more willing to come back part or full time, or even for one offs if it weren't for his treatment/falling out/displeasure with the WWE in 2002. I don't think at this point he's willing to take any risks for the company, and I can't blame him in any case. He's given them a lot and he's gotten enough in return to not have to give anymore. I also respect the fact that he doesn't feel the need to continue and potentially water down his already legendary legacy.
I admire that he doesn't wanna risk stinking up the joint or being a clinger to his stroke and spot like Hogan, just for a few dollars that he doesn't really need. I do wish he'd wrestle a few more matches, but I respect these decisions and think it's probably for the better to let his amazing career stay the way it is.
He bowed out in a great match at Wrestlemania, on top (even though he did the job) against his greatest rival, The Rock. And best of all he did so without making a big showstealing deal about retiring, and his biggest fear was not stinking the joint up, which he didn't.

Kane Knight
04-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Austin can't have five star matches! He's beloved by the marks and isn't a cruiserweight!

Jeritron
04-24-2007, 10:15 PM
How dare a wrestler with amazing skills be deemed a 5 star wrestler without top rope manuevers and picture perfect suplexes in his arsenal

Pepsi Man
04-24-2007, 10:27 PM
It's just my opinion...and since you gave a list, let me run through it...

Austin vs Bret Survivor Series 96 - not a bad match at all, but I really think this one is overrated, in part due to people being marks for Hart.

Austin vs Bret WM13 - I wouldn't call the match itself a "five star match", though a story was told, and the story told was Austin's refusal to quit, thus turning him face.

Austin vs Shawn WM14 - A pretty good match, especially considering the physical condition of both men, but five star? Maybe, I guess.

Austin vs Dude Love - The wrestling in those matches wasn't great at all, and I'm a big Foley fan. These matches are remembered for McMahon trying to "screw" Austin over, taking from the real-life Montreal screwjob the prior year.

Austin vs Taker - It was an alright match, but both men have done much better than their bouts against each other (I take it you're talking about their SummerSlam '98 encounter here.) The buildup to the match was easily better than the match itself.

Austin vs Rock WM15 - A very hyped match, especially with the whole Austin vs. the Corporation thing, but I couldn't give this one anymore than four stars, and that might be being generous.

Austin vs HHH 3 stages of hell - I won't lie; I have not seen this match in its entirety, so I'll do the extreme thing and just give it to you.

Austin vs Rock WM17 - There certainly was a lot of emotion in this one, and a lot of suspense over what was going to happen. I'll give this one to you to, but I'm feeling generous in doing so.

Austin vs Benoit vs Jericho KOTR2001 - meh, Austin struggled through this one. Jericho and Benoit's exchanges with each other were definitely the highlights of this match for me.

Austin vs Angle SS2001 - what, because Austin used the Stunner nine times, and Angle kicked out of every one?

M-A-G
04-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I don't agree with that Austin/Benoit/Jericho one at King of the Ring. He's had much better singles encounters with them, Benoit especially.

Jeritron
04-24-2007, 10:33 PM
well I'd love to hear what 5 star matches are, if Bret vs Austin isn't one.

M-A-G
04-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Snitsky vs. Kane....Kane was fighting for his baby. HIS BABY!!! DRAMA!!!!!!!

Jeritron
04-24-2007, 10:35 PM
p.s. Austin and Angle was amazing regardless.

And Foley/Austin..Well, if you're a big Foley fan I'd assume you'd appreciate this match. I can't tell you what to think, but I think this match is in Foley's top 4 or 5 career matches, maybe even top 3. Foley personally feels so. As for Austin, it's one of his better showings and the match is close to 5 stars.

Even if you drive an incredibly hard bargain for 5 star matches, like Meltzer who hasn't given an american match 5 stars since Hell in a Cell 97, Austin/Bret is one.

Pepsi Man
04-24-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm not Meltzer, but I do think the phrase "5 star" is being thrown around just a little bit too freely here. I tend to disagree on the Austin/Dude Love match.

I wanna reiterate again that I'm not Meltzer and that I do not use him as vindication or validity for my own opinions.

M-A-G
04-24-2007, 10:51 PM
I will agree that the 5 Snowflakes of Awesomeness get tossed around quite a lot. 5 Star pretty much means perfection while being able to stand the test of time not just how much you marked out the first time you saw it. A match you saw when you were 15 might not look as presentable when you see it again at 25.

Jeritron
04-24-2007, 10:54 PM
okay okay. I was just citing how even he is conservative as hell about his ratings, and though they don't and shouldn't influence yours and my opinions, it does mean something.
The match was a classic. Isn't it Flair's favorite match that he wasn't in all time? Pretty sure I heard that. Again, that doesn't mean you should like it either but it's a higly regarded match by highly regarded people in the industry, two of whom were involved in it.

Other than that, Austin hasn't had a match that tops that, but very little could. He's had a handful of matches that I'd say are easily 5 stars and a lot that are close or arguable.

Either way you are entitled to your opinion but it's hard for me to accept the notion that Austin didn't throw out at least half a dozen 5 star matches in his short stint at the top

NeanderCarl
04-25-2007, 05:10 AM
I'd disagree with Austin vs Angle SummerSlam 2001. I can't bring myself to regard a match with a non-decisive finish (Countout, DQ, Time Limit, No Contest) as a five star. That's why I said the KOTR '97 was close to a five star. In my humble opinion, a five star match only becomes one with the final cherry on top, and that's a decisive victor.

SammyG
04-25-2007, 05:19 AM
WHAT?

NeanderCarl
04-25-2007, 05:23 AM
WHERE?

Theo Dious
04-25-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm not Meltzer, but I do think the phrase "5 star" is being thrown around just a little bit too freely here. I tend to disagree on the Austin/Dude Love match.

I wanna reiterate again that I'm not Meltzer and that I do not use him as vindication or validity for my own opinions.

Meltzer is a dick who would likely fault Jesus for underselling his own crucifixion.

Theo Dious
04-25-2007, 10:10 AM
How dare a wrestler with amazing skills be deemed a 5 star wrestler without top rope manuevers and picture perfect suplexes in his arsenal

The following are 5 general rules for discussing matches on the internet:

1: Anything that is generally considered a 5-star match is probably seriously overrated.
2: Only a showcase of expertly executed technical maneuvers can be a 5-star match.
3: A 5-star match must consist of underappreciated workers.
4: A gimmick match cannot be considered 5-star unless it is one of the first of its kind.
4a: If a particular gimmick match is awarded the status of 5-star, it will never be surpassed and all subsequent matches of that sort will be compared to it, aka considered crap next to it.
5: If anyone attempts to argue with these rules, they are retarded, their mother is a whore, and their father is a retarded whore.

Corkscrewed
04-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Also, their mother is a hamster and their father smelt of elderberries.

Theo Dious
04-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Go and boil your bottom, you son of a silly person. I fart in your general direction.

Kane Knight
04-25-2007, 05:29 PM
The following are 5 general rules for discussing matches on the internet:

1: Anything that is generally considered a 5-star match is probably seriously overrated.
2: Only a showcase of expertly executed technical maneuvers can be a 5-star match.
2a: Unless it is London/Kendrick, at which point high flying is acceptable.
2b: This does not extend to anyone liked by management, marks, or who has in any other way gotten over with a group other than the IWC.
2c: purplemonkeydishwasher.
3: A 5-star match must consist of underappreciated workers.
4: A gimmick match cannot be considered 5-star unless it is one of the first of its kind.
4a: If a particular gimmick match is awarded the status of 5-star, it will never be surpassed and all subsequent matches of that sort will be compared to it, aka considered crap next to it.
5: If anyone attempts to argue with these rules, they are retarded, their mother is a whore, and their father is a retarded whore.

The One
04-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Seriously Tedious, that may have been one of the best posts ever made. By anyone. Anywhere. About any topic. Ever.