PDA

View Full Version : List some bands that were good at first, then overtime turned into crap

The Naitch
04-28-2007, 04:23 AM
or in a lighter term..watered-down

discuss

Blitz
04-28-2007, 04:50 AM
Airfooted Assassins.

Silent
04-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Hopesfall and Underoath. I don't really consider their new stuff crap, but it's like night and day comparing their new material to the old.

Downunder
04-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Airfooted Assassins.

DIE :mad:

Downunder
04-28-2007, 08:11 AM
The Killers
Good Charlotte
Jimmy Barnes

Funky Fly
04-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Children Of Bodom

1st 3 major release albums were fucking amazing, 4th was good, went to shit after that.

Kane Knight
04-28-2007, 04:08 PM
In Flames, for that matter.

Not that I mind their newer stuff, but it ain't the same.

Silent
04-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Definitely agree with both Fly and KK.

Requiem
04-28-2007, 08:04 PM
I'll name one of the most obvious ones.

Metallica

Downunder
04-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Children Of Bodom

1st 3 major release albums were fucking amazing, 4th was good, went to shit after that.

WORD

mitchables
04-28-2007, 09:25 PM
The Used, Taking Back Sunday, Sparta, and Thursday all spring to mind.

All four bands' earlier CDs are fucking incredible compared to the dogwater they're churning out at the moment. :$

Danny Electric
04-28-2007, 09:36 PM
My Chemical Romance
Fall Out Boy

Requiem
04-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Nah, MCR got better. Instead of only liking a couple songs, I like pretty much their entire newest CD.

mitchables
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Example, just for you guys.

The Used:

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/optimitchprime/SayICaughtFire.mp3" autoplay=false controls=true>

First song is off their self titled album. Second one is off their second.

Watered down a few steps, much?

Requiem
04-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah, The Used was awesome.. don't like their new stuff at all.

Danny Electric
04-28-2007, 10:09 PM
not a big fan of the new mcr album

mitchables
04-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna dl The Used's new CD when it gets released just to see if they've made any re-progress, but I'm betting not.

Also, I felt like doing Sparta too, for an audio retrospective of the "other" guys from At The Drive In. Wiretap Scars was an amazing CD. I actually liked it better than Mars Volta's De-Loused In The Comatorium. Then, Sparta released Porcelain, which lost a little of the charm of Wiretap, but was still a very solid album. Then, I don't know what happened. Sparta's guitarist quit to go play for the Mars Volta and the guy from Engine Down joined the band and Threes, what should have been an incredible collaboration (because Engine Down is dreamy goodness), wound up being a horrible crooning power-chord driven exploration of what it's like to be a terrible CD.

And so, from Wiretap Scars to Threes we go:

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/optimitchprime/AssembleTheControl.mp3" autoplay=false controls=true>

Bummer. :(

Silent
04-29-2007, 03:20 AM
Taking Back Sunday ,Thursday

Agreed there. I thought TBS' first album was great, but don't like their new stuff too much.

And I think Thursday's first 2 albums are awesome as well, but I did not like their last 2 CDs at all.

Londoner
04-29-2007, 05:21 AM
Guns n Roses comes to mind, not exactly crap, but are definately watered down now, or atleast, 'different'.

ct2k
04-29-2007, 05:28 AM
Definitely agree with the following three:

Metallica
In Flames
Killers

Londoner
04-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Oh yeah, Metallica definately.

Kane Knight
04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
The Killers haven't really gone downhill. They're mediocre, but always were.

I was gonna argue Thursday, but don't know any of their recrods past like 2001. So I realised it'd be fucking stupid to do so, as 6 years is a long time to go downhill.

D Mac
04-29-2007, 01:05 PM
KK what did you neg rep me for? I did'nt even post in this thread!

:shifty:

MVP
04-29-2007, 01:26 PM
The Academy is...
The Mars Volta
Fall Out Boy
Thursday - to an extent, I like some of the songs on A City by the Light Divided

MCR and TBS are as good as they've always been :$

Shaggy
04-29-2007, 02:39 PM
The Academy is...

Fall Out Boy

I hugely agree with both of those...Even though I hate Fall Out Boy to death, there is always someone at work that plays that CD every night..

I was very disapointed with the new Academy is... cd...pure crap

I will add to the mix...

Limp Bizkit
Kid Rock
Eighteen Visions

Danny Electric
04-29-2007, 04:15 PM
add atreyu too

Xerzes
04-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Green Day
Incubus

mitchables
04-30-2007, 09:44 AM
The Killers haven't really gone downhill. They're mediocre, but always were.

I was gonna argue Thursday, but don't know any of their recrods past like 2001. So I realised it'd be fucking stupid to do so, as 6 years is a long time to go downhill.

For you:

From Full Collapse to A City By The Light Divided...

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/optimitchprime/UnderstandingCounting54321.mp3" autoplay=false controls=true>

:'(

Just John
04-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Metallica
Limp Bizkit (yeah liked their older stuff)
Ben Harper has gone a bit downhill (wasn't that impressed with both sides of the gun)
Massive Attack :(
Our Lady Peace

FakeLaser
04-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Thursday is the best example I can think of. A City By The Light Divided is one of the worst albums I've ever heard.

I wouldn't say The Mars Volta, though I agree De-Loused is by far their best album. They're still ridiculously good. The same goes for Incubus. They peaked with Morning View but they're still good.

Head Automatica. First album was great, second album almost made me hate my man crush Darryl Palumbo.

Silent
04-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Thursday is the best example I can think of. A City By The Light Divided is one of the worst albums I've ever heard.

I wouldn't say The Mars Volta, though I agree De-Loused is by far their best album. They're still ridiculously good. The same goes for Incubus. They peaked with Morning View but they're still good.

Head Automatica. First album was great, second album almost made me hate my man crush Darryl Palumbo.

:y:

Stickman
04-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Chili Peppers
Korn
Limp Bizkit.

Blitz
04-30-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm the only one who like A City By The Light Divided :'(

Kane Knight
04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
For you:

From Full Collapse to A City By The Light Divided...

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/optimitchprime/UnderstandingCounting54321.mp3" autoplay="false" controls="true">

:'(

I would shoot you, but killing the messenger is a big no-no on the Evil Overlord List.

mitchables
04-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Lucky we're not in Sparta then, huh? :shifty:

Kane Knight
04-30-2007, 09:52 PM
...Yes...

Would you step backwards a little? Towards that big well-like thing?

The Genius
04-30-2007, 10:04 PM
first one to come to mind is silverchair. frogstomp was perfect then everything after was mediocre at best.

secondly, weezer. the blue album is something i still listen to on a regular basis but then the green album was SHIT. they went from good alternative band to top40 pop band.

oh yeah, and another one papa roach. their first album which was self titled had a bunch of good songs but now the stuff i have heard from them sucks terribly, including the song used for RAW.

that is all i can think of for now.

road doggy dogg
04-30-2007, 11:16 PM
I somewhat agree with Silverchair, mainly because I absolutely adored Frogstomp (and Freak Show to a lesser extent), then simply couldn't get into their later stuff at all, and I tried.

AND YES PAPA ROACH. Like they were heavier than most stuff I listened to at the time but I still kinda liked them, then I saw a video of a new song by them like a month ago and I swear to god I thought it was MCR or something. Awful. (I like MCR but awful that a band would change so much)

The Genius
05-01-2007, 12:20 AM
correction to my previous post. their good stuff was on a cd called "infest"
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KNZEQ1KML._SS500_.jpg

FakeLaser
05-01-2007, 12:31 AM
I was actually going to suggest Weezer, though I like pretty much all of their albums anyway. Peaked at Pinkerton, no doubt.

The Genius
05-01-2007, 01:18 AM
i might have to check out pinkerton. i really skipped that one completely but if you say it was the pinnacle of their career its worth a listen. we can agree though that blue >>>> green album.

Kane Knight
05-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Weezer's still kinda good, at least. I mean, not great. But I'll take a Watered down Weezer, still.

Sugar Ray. I liked their first CD, and even most of Floored was good. Then they got a taste of fame with the "Fly" single, and decided to gay out.

Metallica. Anyone who can honestly tell me they haven't gone down hill needs to get the shit out of their ears. I don't cre if you still like them, that's not the point,

Nickelback. :shifty:

FakeLaser
05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
i might have to check out pinkerton. i really skipped that one completely but if you say it was the pinnacle of their career its worth a listen. we can agree though that blue >>>> green album.
Oh yeah, Blue Album is the shit, but Pinkerton is just on a whole other level.

Zen v.W.o.
05-02-2007, 06:31 PM
first one to come to mind is silverchair. frogstomp was perfect then everything after was mediocre at best.

secondly, weezer. the blue album is something i still listen to on a regular basis but then the green album was SHIT. they went from good alternative band to top40 pop band.

oh yeah, and another one papa roach. their first album which was self titled had a bunch of good songs but now the stuff i have heard from them sucks terribly, including the song used for RAW.

that is all i can think of for now.

Silverchair has actually matured and progressed rather nicely. In fact I just bought their latest release called "Young Modern", and it's really rather different, not expected at all, but nice to see them trying new things too.

They went from a band that were young and tried to sound way too much like most of their influences which was normal for their age at the time, to churning out efforts that started to showcase what they had to offer aside from sounding like their influences.

Frogstomp is actually their worst effort, but damn good for their age. They improve afterwards.

If anything it was Bush that regressed.

As did Live.

And I'd have to say the Pumpkins started to regress as well once they decided to go all industrial/gothic.

darkpower
05-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Can we all agree that there are one or two albums thatr define an artist or band, and then people expect for a band to make that magic again on the next album. Basically, we sometimes make our expectations too high with the masterpiece that was are crashing in disappointment when the next outing is not the masterpiece that their last was.

That said, I can disagree with a LOT of what is being said here. I am wanting to buy MCR's Black Parade, LOVE Atreyu, think the RAW song is the best song they ever used, and I can listen to Arms Race by Fall Out Boy on my iPod constantly.

I do agree with Metallica. Although I like some of their St. Anger stuff, it DEFINITLY sounded convluted, like they were singing without a real point to the songs. Good news is that I heard Bob Rock is gone, which was one of the guilty parties of the changeover for many Metallica fans.

Mr Regal
05-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Radiohead

Boomer
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
lol

D Mac
05-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Papa Roach and Korn are good ones.

Zen v.W.o.
05-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Radiohead

Good choice..after the Bends, they started their decline. OK computer is overrated, and after that, you just have a ton of boring, vapid, depressing shit.

Boomer
05-03-2007, 05:13 PM
lol

Zen v.W.o.
05-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Dont laugh because it's true.

el fregadero
05-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Boomer is making a pretty strong argument here. Hard to disagree with such strong words.

Boomer
05-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I don't have to justify me liking them. You can think they are crap if you want.

Boomer
05-03-2007, 11:39 PM
I laugh because I hear it a lot. A lot of people don't like Radiohead being different. I do. Kid A seems so far removed from Ok Computer, and I like it that way. Their last few albums haven't been as popular, and I think the band likes it that way. They have a fan base that appreciates their music already, so they don't need to put out another Ok Computer or The Bends like the media seems to expect them to.

As for their music being "depressing", (if you want) you can stretch that back to the beginning. Creep, Street Spirit, Bulletproof (I Wish I was), Thinking About You...all can be labeled as "depressing". As for their songs being "shit", that's an opinion you have full right to have. I happen to think some of the songs off their last album are some of the best stuff they have ever written (Wolf at the Door, Scatterbrain, There There). They put on easily one of the best live shows I have ever seen, and that show completely changed their new stuff for me. I didn't like Scatterbrain until I heard it live, and now I almost never skip it on random.

So, to each his own. I live and die by them, and they were the first band I ever obsessed over. So of course I laugh when people say that Radiohead haven't been good in a long time, because their opinion isn't going to change how I feel about them.

NeanderCarl
05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I would have said Manic Street Preachers had you asked a week ago... however, the new album released this past Monday is a return to form.

Silent
05-04-2007, 12:20 AM
I haven't been too crazy about Dream Theater lately. I loved "Metropolis Pt 2" and "Six Degrees" but I haven't really loved the latest few releases.

Silent
05-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Also adding Coheed and Cambria, thought their last album sucked pretty much, but their first album is still great.

el fregadero
05-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Train of Thought is epic though, Silent, so I have to disagree on the Dream Theater statement.

Requiem
05-04-2007, 02:36 AM
I was a pretty big fan of C&C's album "IV"

The Naitch
05-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Swollen Members

Balance- Their best album ever

Bad Dreams- Good, but a step down

Monsters in the closet- (unreleased tracks. Lot of filler)

Heavy- Labelled as their worst album ever. Too poppy. They don't even include this album in their discography

Black Magic- They get back to the basics and go back to that dark sound that got them their in the first place.

They are trying to make their comeback again. And trying to become bigger in the States. They've done it all in Canada (won 2 junos already). They're upcoming album is set to come out in the summer

KayfabeMan
05-04-2007, 10:27 PM
The Fugees :shifty:

Skippord
05-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Godsmack

Skippord
05-05-2007, 10:13 PM
still like them tho

deathtrap
05-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Alexisonfire, the first album is amazing, Crisis is just horrible

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Godsmack

Godsmack should release Voodoo on every album. It'd greatly increase their popularity. ;)

Tornado
05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm not saying they've gone crap, as I love all of their stuff to bits, but each new album Muse have released has not been as good as the previous.

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Nuno Bettencourt.

His first solo record is something pretty much any alternative fan should own. Instead of hair metal, he offers up everything frmo trip-hopposh hooks to bubblegum pop.

Then came his econd solo, called Mourning Widows (Which then became the new band). Poorly produced, though the power trio idea was decent. The second MW album became an improvement, but still kind of lackluster compared to Schizophonic (The first album). Then came Population 1, which was an okay record, and a step up, but still not as good. Sessions was bland, followed by the new Dramagods record, which is the same lineup, and some pretty horrible songwriting.

Silent
05-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Alexisonfire, the first album is amazing, Crisis is just horrible

Agreed.

Mr Regal
05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm not saying they've gone crap, as I love all of their stuff to bits, but each new album Muse have released has not been as good as the previous.

I think each one they have released has been better than the last:-\

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I agree with Regal. Maybe I'm just listening for something different. I dunno.

NeanderCarl
05-08-2007, 03:59 PM

Showbiz is awesome, but everything since has been just okay.

Kane Knight
05-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Fuel!

Was just reminded of this. I loved their first record. Their second was mediocre. their third, even more meh.

I tried making a Playlist a while back, but gave up because I could only get like 35 minutes of material.