PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man 3

Pages : [1] 2

Kalyx triaD
04-28-2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.sqpn.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/DB20060628_spiderman3.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0gdXJK8vNl0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0gdXJK8vNl0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

May 4th

Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) has finally managed to strike a balance between his devotion to M.J. (Kirstin Dunst) and his duties as a superhero. But there's a storm brewing on the horizon. When his suit suddenly changes, turning jet-black and enhancing his powers, it transforms Peter as well, bringing out the dark, vengeful side of his personality that he struggles to control. Under the influence of the suit, Peter becomes overconfident and starts to neglect the people who care about him most. Forced to choose between the seductive power of the new suit and the compassionate hero he used to be, Peter must overcome his personal demons as two of the most-feared villains yet, Sandman (Thomas Haden Church's Flint Marko) and Venom (the transformed version of Topher Grace's Eddie Brock), gather unparalleled power and a thirst for retribution to threaten Peter and everyone he loves.

Expectations. Discussions. Reviews. Let's go.

El Fangel
04-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Fuck. Ing. Awe. Some.

Mr Regal
04-29-2007, 12:01 AM
:drool:

Downunder
04-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Comes out May the 3rd over here.

EAT IT!!!!

Kane Knight
04-29-2007, 09:49 AM
We needed a 500th Spider-Man 3 topic. Thanks.

Shaggy
04-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Comes out May the 3rd over here.

EAT IT!!!!

It officially comes out May 4th....

But basically every theater is holding midnight showings on Thursday

Kalyx triaD
04-29-2007, 01:12 PM
We needed a 500th Spider-Man 3 topic. Thanks.

This is the Spider-Man 3 topic so EAT IT!!!!

Kane Knight
04-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Who is so gay they line up to see a movie a few hours earlier? Jesus Christ.

Kalyx triaD
04-29-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't do it, myself. I imagine those crowds are terrible people to watch a movie with. I go in the daytime when things are more calm.

Kane Knight
04-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Speaking of which, the bonus DVD that comes along with the new 2.1 edition of Spider-Man includes info on Venom, evidently. Remember when those fucktards were going aroud saying "THEY'RE SMART! YOU DONN'T HYPE THE END OF THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So...Can we just call them morons for this?

Shaggy
04-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Who is so gay they line up to see a movie a few hours earlier? Jesus Christ.

me.... :shifty:

I plan on seeing it with a crowd and without a crowd.

Seeing it with a crowd sometimes makes the movie better...just to hear the crowd reaction...many people might not like it but to see something big happen and then suddenly hear a huge "Fuck Yeah" yelled from the crowd actually makes it better for me.

Just for a quick reference I will mention X3....went to the midnight showing of that...kicked so much ass with a crowd...then after I saw it with a small crowd with no real reaction I realized that it wasnt as great as I thought.

Disturbed316
04-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Seriously cannot wait for this.

Funky Fly
04-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Definitely going to this.

Rammsteinmad
04-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Can't wait either. Although I'll wait for a few days when there aren't as many people. I hate sitting in crowded cinemas.

Also, this is the first film I've seen at a theater since X-Men 2.

Jon Kano
04-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I have no worries about how good this movie is gonna fucking rule, for me anyway. The ONLY thing I want, is that it does indeed end on a note for a continuation, and with very good quality in the execution of such a notion.

Kane Knight
04-29-2007, 06:02 PM
me.... :shifty:

I plan on seeing it with a crowd and without a crowd.

Seeing it with a crowd sometimes makes the movie better...just to hear the crowd reaction...many people might not like it but to see something big happen and then suddenly hear a huge "Fuck Yeah" yelled from the crowd actually makes it better for me.

Just for a quick reference I will mention X3....went to the midnight showing of that...kicked so much ass with a crowd...then after I saw it with a small crowd with no real reaction I realized that it wasnt as great as I thought.

There are sheep, and there are those who are lead by sheep.

You aspire to one day be the latter.

ClockShot
04-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I'll probably go see this. The week Pirates 3: At World's End hits theatres so I could have the whole theatre to myself.

Kane Knight
04-29-2007, 10:22 PM
So Spider-Man gets the black costume and grows a fringe? What, the motherfuckers turned him emo?

Jeritron
04-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Can't fuckin wait. I just watched the Spiderman Animated Series Venom Saga from the old fox kids saturday morning cartoon. Such classic shit. Picked it up at Best Buy for 10 bucks

Shaggy
04-29-2007, 11:52 PM
There are sheep, and there are those who are lead by sheep.

You aspire to one day be the latter.

ehhh...doesnt offend me any...couldnt give a shit if they lead me off a cliff

Downunder
04-30-2007, 02:18 AM
It officially comes out May 4th....

But basically every theater is holding midnight showings on Thursday

Well it offically comes out May 3rd here, which is May 2nd in America.

I STILL WIN!!!!!!

Downunder
04-30-2007, 02:20 AM
I thought the first 2 sucked so i'll just download it

Mr Regal
04-30-2007, 09:17 AM
While you're watching Saim Raimi's Spider-Man 3, look out for the proverbial kitchen sink, and even the cuddly toy from TV's Generation Game; everything's been thrown at this movie. Some of it hits the target (the CGI, the action), but crucial parts don't (the script, the pacing, half of the subplots).

The film opens with life all hunky dory for Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) and M.J. (Kirsten Dunst); Spider-Man's got celebrity status in New York and M.J. is a working actress. However, domestic bliss doesn't last long. A meteor crashes to Earth and black alien slime, the symbiote that will cause so much havoc, makes a beeline for our hero who inadvertently takes the stuff home.

And the troubles pile up: on the run from the cops, small-time crook Flint Marko (Thomas Hayden Church) meets with an accident and becomes Spidey's formidable foe, The Sandman. Then there's New Goblin, alter ego of Peter Parker's best friend Harry Osborn (James Franco).

When Harry isn't busy trying to kill Spidey and avenge his father's death, he's wooing M.J. But that's not the only romantic entanglement. Y'see there's Gwen Stacy (Bryce Dallas Howard - stunning as a blonde), Peter Parker's hot lab partner who not only ignites M.J.'s jealously, but also attracts Eddie Brock's interest (Topher Grace). Who's Eddie?

Well, he's a photographer at the Daily Bugle involved in a not-very-friendly rivalry with Peter Parker. In the wrong place at the wrong time, he changes into deadly opponent Venom and joins the ever-lengthening queue of Spidey haters.

Are you with me so far? Who'd blame you if you weren't because Spider-Man 3's first hour plays like a soap opera thanks to the self-indulgent, run-of-the-mill script: love triangles, familial secrets, relationship woes - there's even good ol' amnesia.

A pity a more sizeable chunk of the reported $250 million budget didn't go towards a decent screenplay. Far too many characters are squeezed into the bum-numbing 140 minutes and most of them suffer from a woeful lack of development as a direct result: Gwen Stacy abruptly disappears; Eddie Brock's back story is thinner than a size zero model; Harry's butler Bernard appears from nowhere to save Spidey's skin with a hackneyed disclosure and a revelation centring around Flint Marko and Spidey's Uncle Ben is so contrived, it would insult even the limited intelligence of yer average WAG.

A huge bone of contention is the symbiote which supposedly unleashes great inner conflict within Peter Parker, bringing out his dark, vengeful side. However, the movie largely chooses to convey this by paying homage to Saturday Night Fever; see Petey strut! See Petey dance! See Petey wear a snazzy suit! See Petey hit on the chicks! It's a fun sequence at first, but it drags on too long and it's not exactly evil Superman getting jiggy with Lorelei Ambrosia, is it? The closest Peter Parker comes to that is demanding biscuits from Ursula (the fabulously kooky girl in his building).

I lost count of the superfluous plots and subplots that really should've been cut. Numerous pointless scenes take valuable time away from essential ones (Harry and M.J. doing the twist to Chubby Checker while cooking an omelette - what the heck was that about?). A perfect example of this is Eddie Brock/Venom's fate; he should've been one of the best villains to grace a superhero film as he matches Spider-Man's powers in every way.

Instead, he's treated almost as an afterthought. Eddie Brock/Venom was crying out for his own movie and what happens to him in Spider-Man 3 is nothing short of a disgrace.

Poor pacing sees a slow build-up to a rushed ending, but at least there are fine performances from the likes of James Franco (superb as Harry Osborn); Thomas Hayden Church (who brings real melancholic depth to his villain-with-a-heart); J. K. Simmons (hilarious but underused as J. Jonah Jameson); Bryce Dallas Howard (far better than the part she's given) and Bruce Campbell (in his customary cameo, this time as a French maître d' who's a cross between Basil Fawlty and Inspector Clouseau). The two leads are also good, however both were better in the previous movies.

Yes, the action set-pieces and CGI is often stunning (The Sandman's 'birth' will make your jaw drop), but after the incredibly high standards set by Spider-Man, and especially Spider-Man 2, this third entry is a disappointment. It's still an entertaining movie, just not a great one. In Star Wars original trilogy-speak, Spider-Man 2 is The Empire Strikes Back: darker, edgier, more emotionally mature. Spider-Man 3 is Return Of The Jedi, right down to the musical interludes. It only needed an Ewok or two…

If excess equalled success, Spider-Man 3 would be a triumph on all levels. Instead, it's the most flawed of the franchise.

Kane Knight
04-30-2007, 10:24 AM
How did I know they were going to tush this?

GWEN STACY? :wtf:

Shaggy
04-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Atleast it will lead in the box office for a week....

Shrek will knock it out of the top and if that doesnt work then POTC 3 will destroy this

Kane Knight
04-30-2007, 04:35 PM
I can't say I'm disappointed.

Don't get me wrong; I'll see Spidery opening weekend. It's just Pirates is the one movie I'm itching to see, and I really think it deserves the top spot. Shrek's going to pretty much deliver what the last two did, and Spider-Man will be on par with the last two.

I mean, for all the flaws that the reviewer complained of, they were mostly present in the previous two, which he seemed to like. Plot holes and logic that's insulting to everyone but the OEC club and a dozen of Bush's closest friends. Raimi's a B-movie director with a large budget. The movies, while decent, ain't exactly the stunning masterpieces people tend to expect.

But kung fu, explosions, and Matrix-esque effects will make it a solid summer movie.

Jeritron
04-30-2007, 06:29 PM
The Spiderman franchise has been done phenomenally IMO. Raimis a B-movie director with a large budget...well, that is true I suppose, but who else isn't? Peter Jackson and Spielberg are too. Gore Verbinski isn't exactly the best.

I do like Pirates, but I'm not really excited for Pirates 3, because I was in a lot of ways dissapointed with part 2. It's also pissed me off that Pirates has been shoved down my throat everywhere I turn and look for the past year. That's just my opinion, of course you can enjoy and anticipate any movie you want just as I can. I'm sure Pirates and Spidey will both bring in big money, and it will be interesting to see who has a better Summer. Probably Pirates because of the kiddies and Disney.

Kane Knight
04-30-2007, 07:23 PM
I'd argue on Spielberg, but even if I argued in favor of any or none of them, that's a poor defense.

Spider-Man has been rather decent, but please. When pro wrestling logic makes more sense than your logic, you lose any right to the phrase "phenomenal." The entire series comes off as rushed, and not for those stupid "how do you expect it to translate into a movie?" Excuses. Those are bullshit. Comic books have 2 dimensional characters, and the movies still can't capture the depth of an inherrently shallow genre. That's poor storytelling. And I think that they ran out of time when they came up with the "self confidence" idea.

I'm not exactly sure how pirates have been shoved down our throats this year, any more than previously, but whatever floats your boat.

KingofOldSchool
04-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Going to see the 12:01 am showing Friday morning

Jeritron
04-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Jesus dude, I just wanted to disagree with you in thinking that Spiderman is superior to Pirates. It's my opinion. No need to attack me and my credibility and bring up wrestling discussion which has nothing to do with this. Chill out. I can call what ever I damn well please phenomenal, and you don't have a chokehold on logic bro.

Kane Knight
04-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Jesus, aren't you the oversensitive little bitch?

"It was just my opinion" so why are you being so hostile? :'(

Anyway, the real reason I came to this thread was the ad I just saw that advertised that Venom is coming, and proceeded to show several shots. Mostily stuff we've seen before, but still.

Champion of Europa
05-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Watching it either tonight or tomorrow night, with emphasis on tomorrow night. WOOHOO theater working.

Funky Fly
05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
My local theater is dedicating 6 screens to this alone. Not even icluding the IMAX screen. Ridiculous.

Jon Kano
05-01-2007, 07:17 PM
WHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOKED for saturday night, I imagine I'll be blunced out of my fucking skull before hand I can't wait.

Shaggy
05-02-2007, 06:26 PM
For those interested....my friend sent me a link to this..

http://www.themoviespoiler.com/Spoilers/spiderman3.html

Spoils the movie...for those who dont care to see it....

Havnt looked at it yet in hopes to be surprised...

Adder
05-02-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't see how a reviewer can say there are too many storylines to follow while complaining that the movie needed a better screenplay. Shut up. It's an action movie and you're trying too hard to make this deep.

Jon Kano
05-02-2007, 08:51 PM
I really hope Raimi makes all 6 films, with Maguire and Dunst in all of them. Would make the whole story as credible and significant, and put the whole franchise on par, if not more on a personal level with the Star Wars saga.

Kane Knight
05-02-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't see how a reviewer can say there are too many storylines to follow while complaining that the movie needed a better screenplay. Shut up. It's an action movie and you're trying too hard to make this deep.

Yes...Those two ARE mutually exclusivve. :roll:

Jeritron
05-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I really hope Raimi makes all 6 films, with Maguire and Dunst in all of them. Would make the whole story as credible and significant, and put the whole franchise on par, if not more on a personal level with the Star Wars saga.

Having 6 movies doesn't automatically make you on par with the Star Wars saga. Having a trilogy doesn't either. Anytime a continuing series comes along, it gets labled or compared as the "next Star Wars". Star Wars is Star Wars and that's that. There can be other film series with the same amount of installments, or even with a similar release schedule and anticipation as Star Wars, but nothing will be the next Star Wars. Everyone said the Matrix would be, and then Lord of The Rings. Now people say Harry Potter and Pirates of the Carribean, and Spiderman. They've all been tremendously successful and hugely popular, but nothing like Star Wars was in it's time.
Bottom line is it's all just film franchises that are what they are, and have some similarities in their structure and release and public perception. But those similarities are because Star Wars set the bar and is the basis of comparison for any series to follow. None of it is the next Star Wars.

Kane Knight
05-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Except Star Wars. :shifty:

Champion of Europa
05-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Saw it last night. It's bloated and cheesy. The dialogue is almost George Lucasian.

Did not like it too much.

Jeritron
05-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a comic book movie. How dare they treat Spiderman as such

Kane Knight
05-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Be fair. No comic book is as cheesey as Star Wars.

Jeritron
05-03-2007, 07:42 PM
fair enough. Cheesiness doesn't neccesarily mean bad, it depends on the genre. If a drama movie is cheesy as hell unintentionally, no good. If a comic book or action/adventure based on old saturday morning serials is, it's fitting it's genre. Fanboys who think they know their shit want Star Wars and Spiderman films to suddenly be treated and directed as though they were going for an academy award.

Scorcese isn't gonna be brought on to direct your beloved summer blockbusters because that's not what they're going for, they're going for the demographic that people were in when they fell in love with that franchise. You guessed it, kids. And kids don't wanna see great dialouge, so we get "Lucasian" dialouge and not Obi Wan and Anakin smoking cigarettes waxing intellectual at a cofee shop a la Tarontino.

Champion of Europa
05-03-2007, 09:01 PM
By cheesy, I meant ridiculously so that you are unable to take the movie seriously and it is difficult to watch.

Kane Knight
05-03-2007, 09:02 PM
The problem is, people treat Raimi like he's a genius, when he's really not. So they're already putting their precious popcorn flick up on a pedestal as though it were directed by someone in the major panthenon of filmmaking.

That being said, I think CoE, who likes Cheesy slasher flicks and Tarrantino, probably didn't go in expecting it to be a masterpiece of cinematic brilliance. I'd therefor ask myself what would make him think it was cheesey and bloated, and think that maybe for the genre, it was bad.

That doesn't mean I trust him unconditionally, or believe him to be the best source. Sure as fuck don't mean I'm gonna skip it. I mean, I already kinda expect it not to live up to the hype. As I said previously, the logic in that last Spider-Man was so horrible it made wrestling look Machiavellian.

I also have to say, and this is another repeat, the movies are not like the comics. Someone who is expecting comic book dialogue doesn't get it. There is less depth to the movie franchise than to the comic series. On top of that, they fail to capture the action, banter, and overall raison d'être of Spider-Man. I mean, I grew up on the comics. Hell, my father had a collection from some of the earliest Amazgins, and had all the old Spectaculars (Peter Parker), and I followed the comics until like 2000 or so. I still read some here and there. And honestly, when you can't hack the depth of a comic book, I'm disappointed.

Jon Kano
05-03-2007, 09:23 PM
OK there seems to be a certain type of thought process in this forum and it create a fucked up message whenever they are said.

What I meant about the whole next 'big saga' like star wars statement - I didn't literally mean it in all its seriousness. More TO ME, in my opinion. The story of Spiderman, the messages of power, responsibility and the way Raimi has presented it on screen, the actors, hell even the score, TO ME its only got to half way of a bigger story, something even quite profound.

Of course it cannot replace SW, but to me its the platform for ONE OF THE greatest stories ever told. Thats my opinion.

But if they made the 6, and each one simply got better, and the entire 6 created such a story arc that it really impressed enough people in the same way, I would actually go as far to say it would compete with the recognition Star Wars has. As good as a story/films they are. Let's be honest, the newer ones sucked. Except for Sith I guess, that was pretty good.

At the end of the day, to each is own.

Kane Knight
05-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Eragon is the next Star Wars.

Jon Kano
05-03-2007, 09:55 PM
I remember you said you liked it, or liked the books and was gonna watch it. I really can't see the appeal. My main reason was that I said I would never watch another film with Jeremy Irons in a film that had dragons. I actually said that after I watched D&D, yet had no idea that would actually come about to happen again.

I dunno, I don't like the look of the kid's acting or the CGI of the dragon as a baby. It just gave me a real bad vibe. Apart from that I should give it a chance. But prob won't.

Shaggy
05-03-2007, 10:54 PM
The problem is, people treat Raimi like he's a genius, when he's really not.

The man that created Evil Dead is a genius to me.... :y:

I dont even care about the Spiderman movies when his name is mentioned. The only reason I would even say Spiderman when referring to Raimi is because barely anyone has seen the Evil Dead series.

Kane Knight
05-03-2007, 11:27 PM
I remember you said you liked it, or liked the books and was gonna watch it. I really can't see the appeal. My main reason was that I said I would never watch another film with Jeremy Irons in a film that had dragons. I actually said that after I watched D&D, yet had no idea that would actually come about to happen again.

I dunno, I don't like the look of the kid's acting or the CGI of the dragon as a baby. It just gave me a real bad vibe. Apart from that I should give it a chance. But prob won't.

I specifically said it because it LITERALLY is the next Star Wars. It comes from the same mold.

Not because it was good. In fact, the movie sucked ass. Not because it's different from the books, but because it's shitty storytelling. But it's Very Much Star Wars. Check the Eragon thread, because someone made a HUGE in depth post on it. I don't care to overanalyse that shit. But it wasn't a statement of quality. Let's face it though: Lucas made a series that is priceless to so many because of concepts that are not Unique, storytelling elements which are appealing on some visceral level.

Paolini did the same thing. He drew from elements of Tolkien and Lucas, who each drew on elements of others...

Kane Knight
05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
The man that created Evil Dead is a genius to me.... :y:

I dont even care about the Spiderman movies when his name is mentioned. The only reason I would even say Spiderman when referring to Raimi is because barely anyone has seen the Evil Dead series.

:lol:

mitchables
05-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Yes, Shaggy. Evil Dead is a precious undiscovered cult treasure that only you and 6 other people on the planet know about.

Jon Kano
05-04-2007, 02:07 AM
Yes, Shaggy. Evil Dead is a precious undiscovered cult treasure that only you and 6 other people on the planet know about.

7 other people.

Jeritron
05-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Yea except the fact that it's so famous for being a cult flick that it has trancended that and become pretty mainstream. I know it's the trendy thing, but when the posters and tshirts are available at every store in the mall, and there's multiple special edition dvds, video games, action figures etc. , it's not such an underground hidden gem. Doesn't lessen how good the movie or it's hardcore fans are, but I'm just saying. So many things have a cult following at this point that they've bascially grown to low level mainstream.
It's like when non-conformity and all that shit becomes so cool, that it becomes the conformity. Like emo and shit, it's not underground and different when it's the pop. It's just a wolf in sheep's clothing, or perhaps a sheep in wolf's clothing. Who knows.

Not that I'm in any way comparing Evil Dead or it's role in culture to the miserable joke that is non-conformist emo shit.

Shaggy
05-04-2007, 03:54 AM
No you see what Im saying is that yes...there is a big cult following behind Evil Dead...but there are still tons of people that have never seen it and would never know anything about it unless you mention a guy with a chainsaw for an arm. Then they mention something about seeing Army of Darkness are seeing it on a shirt.

Evil Dead does have a huge fan base....but its not big enough to where people think of it when they hear Raimi's name.

also...

Just got back from Spiderman 3....

very very very very disapointed

Unless there was a fight going on...it was just pure boredom...

Venom is kick ass...but its weird to hear the meek voice of Topher Grace coming out of him.

M-A-G
05-04-2007, 04:29 AM
Just got back from a midnight showing. Early birthday gift. I can easily say I can die a happy man.

Jon Kano
05-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Some of the issues of cult films and whatnot are pretty simular to what I have been talking about and been studying on my cult film course at uni, good points. But whenever there is a discussion about it, you have to remember a cult film will have fans, and then cultists. It can go on and on, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

KingofOldSchool
05-04-2007, 08:17 AM
It was entertaining yet disappointing at the same time.

Kane Knight
05-04-2007, 10:03 AM
No you see what Im saying is that yes...there is a big cult following behind Evil Dead...but there are still tons of people that have never seen it and would never know anything about it unless you mention a guy with a chainsaw for an arm. Then they mention something about seeing Army of Darkness are seeing it on a shirt.

Evil Dead does have a huge fan base....but its not big enough to where people think of it when they hear Raimi's name.

also...

Just got back from Spiderman 3....

very very very very disapointed

Unless there was a fight going on...it was just pure boredom...

Venom is kick ass...but its weird to hear the meek voice of Topher Grace coming out of him.
It's less of a cult flick than "Blair Witch."

I mean, there are blockbusters with less people who have seen 'em.

By the way, did they at least Goa'uld his voice when he's Venom proper?

Jeritron
05-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Yea, saying "there's people who haven't seen it and don't know it" doesn't make it a any less mainstream. There's people who haven't seen the most popular and well known of things, trust me, there's a lot of oblivious people out there.

As for Venom, yes they sort of do the voice effect. It's not as deep and echoing as in the cartoons, but its definitely got the stereo echo thing goin on. I don't mind Topher Grace at all. I felt the movie was perfectly fine, but the ending got overdone and too much was involved in what should have been a one on one affair.

Kane Knight
05-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Venom and Brock really shouldn't sound similar. In fact, I'd hire one actor as the voice of Venom, separate from the guy who played Brock. Most villains will sound the same, but Venom is something wholly different from Brock in almost every incarnation.

Jeritron
05-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Was a little dissapointed they he didn't say "we" instead of "I"

Mr Regal
05-04-2007, 01:14 PM
I have just returned from watching S3 and i have to say i am a little disappointed. Too much is crammed into the film, which leaves it feeling rather hollow. And lol@peter's heel turn, has too be seen to be believed.

Some parts of the film work really well. Sandman is an awesome enemy and could have been as well fleshed out as Doc Oc given the time....but he isn't.

The effects are good and the set action pieces are pretty awesome.

But fuck the filmakers for making Venom the way they have. He is supposed to be peter parkers greatest enemy, his biggest threat. So they give him barely any screen time and a weak end:nono: V

Venom Should have owned this movie, and they could have done it really well. Instead they have crammed a ton of shit into the film that is not needed.

I enjoyed it as it is spiderman after all, but i am also sorely disappointed. It should have been much much better. they dropped the ball.

KingofOldSchool
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
IMO, Venom's storyline won't end.

Maybe the Brock/Venom storyline is done, which is a shame. However, Connors still had a piece of the symboite which could easily bond with someone else and or can bond with what escaped from the building (which I'm sure happened).

They should've ended the film right when Brock transformed into Venom in the bell tower.

That could've setup Spiderman 4 with Venom as the main villian and then maybe Lizard as the secondary.

Jeritron
05-04-2007, 01:45 PM
It's an example of a movie that is still pretty good, but is dissapointing. What could have been great was only good.

Jeritron
05-04-2007, 01:53 PM
All the problems with the ending could have been solved with a few things.

Once Sandman is sucked down the drain...let him go. Maybe bring him back down the road, maybe even do that shot to let us know he lived. But drop him for the movie.

The ending then would have been about Venom and Spidey. I then would have had Harry get involved, but as a complete suprise.

And the other thing, Sandman should have been revealed to not be the killer. It should have been revealed that the other guy did shoot Ben, and handed the gun back to him got in the car and ditched him. Then Flint fled. That would explain why Flint wasn't in the car with his accomplice. As for the prisonmate who claimed he confessed to him..well have that be a lie, maybe even have that prisonmates name dropped in passing as...Kletus Kassidy.

If those things were cut out, and the ending was a clear cut battle between just Venom and Spidey with Harry as a tweener dancing both sides until he made the right choice, it would have been solved.
Also, since that would still be one scene exposure for Venom it'd be nice to see Brock apprehended and the suit get away.

Mr Regal
05-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Anything would have been better than that cluster fuck of an ending.

Shaggy
05-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Atleast there is still a chance for Venom to return...the professor still has a piece of the symbiote

Jeritron
05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Yea, mini venom...

Kane Knight
05-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Was a little dissapointed they he didn't say "we" instead of "I"

The Symbiote's no longer the same thing it was in the comics, though.

Mercury Bullet
05-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Really, really disappointed with it. I mean, I guess it was okay, but that whole movie was sort of a clusterfuck not just the ending. And I hate it when these comic book movies deviate SO FAR from the comics. I mean, I understand that they don't need to be identical but I hate crap that is just totally rewritten for the movie. (SPOILER COMING, Highlight) Like KILLING OFF Spider Man's BIGGEST enemy (arguably, I'm talking about Venom) after he is in an entire half a movie. KILLING OFF Harry Osborne ALREADY. That one I can tolerate though, but the Venom thing is inexcuseable. I can see, though, think about when he threw the grenade at the sybiote it wasn't COMPLETELY destroyed and you see Eddie Brock's skeleton as he is being "incinerated" or so it seems. They could play the angle of he wasn't killed, the explosion caused a permanent bonding of the symbiote with Brock and now he is entirely in Venom form, and cant go back to being human. OR...the explosion with the symbiote creates the symbiote that will become Carnage.
^---Sorry, I'm a little intoxicated and rambling.

Reavant
05-04-2007, 04:55 PM
IMO, Venom's storyline won't end.

Maybe the Brock/Venom storyline is done, which is a shame. However, Connors still had a piece of the symboite which could easily bond with someone else and or can bond with what escaped from the building (which I'm sure happened).

They should've ended the film right when Brock transformed into Venom in the bell tower.

That could've setup Spiderman 4 with Venom as the main villian and then maybe Lizard as the secondary.

I dont know what story they would go with, but it was either, the original comic, the ultimate comic, or the cartoon that had the symbiote split whenever it was on fire and not on a host.

If they really wanted to Im sure they could think of a way to have eddie "saved" by the symbiote or something.

If they really wanted every nerd to cum their pants they can have carnage in the next one, if there is one. They kind of left it open for the lizard to be a villain just because the doctor is in it, and of course the small peice of the suit that he has. Im pretty sure Felicia Harding is the black cat, but they might be able to do that story line with gwen stacy. Plus theres the endless amount of bad guys that they could find any way to throw in there.

In terms of the movie, it is a visual masterpeice. With Venom being my favorite comic book character ever, I of course wish he had a much bigger role, but the movie still kicked ass. Other than the remaining peice of suit, they really tied up almost every storyline possible, which i cant decide whether its good or bad but whatever.

Destor
05-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Pretty dissapointed after seeing this last night. It was bad.

Gotta say though, they have done a fine job slowly bringing Connar into the spot-light movie to movie. And I love the introduction of the Black Cat. So thats good.

Movie was terrible though.

Mr Regal
05-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Reavant It's bad because they tied them up into a messy knot of shit.

I have had time to think about it a bit more now and i dislike the film more now than i did earlier.

I loved all the action sequences, they were fantastic. However the script sucked and it felt like the story hadn't been given any REAL thought.

Oh and Gwen Stacy isn't the black cat, i am pretty sure you're right on that Reavant.

Kane Knight
05-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Okay, so there's a remaining piece of suit. That means they want to set up a symbiote return. Maybe it'll be Venom, or maybe it'll be Carnage, or maybe neither. In any event, unless there's something specific, it looks like they wanted to keep this open.

Hope it's not Carnage, but this seems an obvious choice.

Kalyx triaD
05-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Saw the movie. I don't have time for a proper review but I can tell you this: It was clearly Harry Osborne's movie.

Shaggy
05-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I thought Franco and Grace were the best in this movie...althought it was kinda hard to watch Topher Grace in this movie where in my mind I kept on thinking he was Eric from that 70s Show...

Im wondering if that little piece of the suit will be used in the future of the series (if they make more). Perhaps they just forgot that there was that little piece and figured the fans wouldnt think much of it. Or perhaps they left it there for us to speculate on the future..

Since you never really saw any indication that Venom was killed..(all you saw was a little bit of the symbiote on the ground) makes me hope that they will bring him back...and perhaps use that other little piece to make Carnage and make a Spiderman Dream movie...Venom Vs Spidey Vs Carnage...

Funky Fly
05-04-2007, 08:16 PM
It was entertaining yet disappointing at the same time.
This is exactly what I think.

I damn sure got my $6 worth of movie, no doubt about it. Spiderman vs Goblin, struttin' Pete, Venom, Sandman, typical Spiderman responsibility/choices schtick... it was all there.

My only issue is that it wasn't balanced very well.

Oh, and for those of you crying about Venom: the villain isn't dead unless there's a body. Always remember that.

Kane Knight
05-04-2007, 08:28 PM
And even then, not always.

Especially since this is a comic book movie. Norman Osbourne came back. Hell, Spider-Man's died a couple times. Venom died. Sorta. Carnage died like 8000000000 times. Sandman? Died. I think the Vulture died before he came back.

ClockShot
05-04-2007, 09:05 PM
So for those of you who saw early shows today, was it packed with alot of kiddies skipping school, or was it rather quiet and everyone enjoyed the beautiful day? I'm catching the early monring show tomorrow and I'd like to know what I should expect.

Mercury Bullet
05-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I damn sure got my $6 worth of movie, no doubt about it.

IT ONLY COST YOU SIX BUCKS!?!?!

Jesus, I don't think I got my $9.50 worth of movie here. I might be happeir with $6.

Funky Fly
05-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Matinees, baby.

Also, it's only $7 for me at night thanks to my student status. Just another reason to go to college.

Sadly, it's $13.50 when I'm in Canada.

M-A-G
05-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Saw it for free. :cool:

Funky Fly
05-04-2007, 09:43 PM
You know what else is free?

One of these: :foc:

Funky Fly
05-04-2007, 09:43 PM
J/k

That's gonna cost you $10

M-A-G
05-04-2007, 09:45 PM
You're kinda whoring yourself at that price. Make it $350.

Innovator
05-04-2007, 09:55 PM
$5 says Venom isn't dead

Mercury Bullet
05-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I go to college, STILL $9.50!!!!

UmbrellaCorporation
05-05-2007, 02:01 AM
I adored this movie. My only bitch is that Venom was an afterthought. Sandman was fantastic, and while I will admit I loved seeing the arrogance of symbiote infested emo Parker, I would willingly have sacrificed that for more Venom time. I think Topher Grace nailed Eddie Brock perfectly. Can't wait to see if they do something else with the symbiote.

Worst of all, and no one has noted this: In the flag scene, Spider-man (heroic blue and red costume) webs his way past an American flag on the way to fight a man made of sand (an obvious allegory for...something about the middle east) and an evil alien made of sentient black oil. Doesn't that just seem wrong to anyone else?

Impact!
05-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Although the movie did lack in bits, overall I found it really enjoyable...although part of that was the fact that I was with a fairly big group of friends and that during the Emo Parker scenes, along with certain other scenes the whole cinema just cracked up laughing.

Also Evil Parker was well worth the price of admission. Words cannot describre how funny that was.

Mr. Monday Morning
05-05-2007, 05:38 AM
This is what happens when studios listen to fanboys

Dave Youell
05-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Going to black text most of this to avoid flamming:

Wasn't as good as 2, but it's a very hard act to follow, IF (please!) they decide to end it now, I'd be happy, but you know Sony and the money train will want more from this, I hope that Venom isn't dead if that is the case as he deserved loads more time, have to admit though, for the small amount of time he was on the screen, he was done very well.

Bruce Campbell is god

Really liked how the Harry storyline played out

Only real issue was the length of the film, think they tried to cram too much into it, personally I think they could of just left out sandman all together given Venom

Oh and I love how evil Peter is Emo, lets face it, Emo is the root to all evil anyway

Kane Knight
05-05-2007, 09:31 AM
This is what happens when studios listen to fanboys

...no?

Worst of all, and no one has noted this: In the flag scene, Spider-man (heroic blue and red costume) webs his way past an American flag on the way to fight a man made of sand (an obvious allegory for...something about the middle east) and an evil alien made of sentient black oil. Doesn't that just seem wrong to anyone else?

I hope not. That's quite the stretch.

Reavant
05-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I really hope they have the symbiote "save" brock if they do a future movie. He was probably the best villain that they have made. Grace nailed that part.

Fignuts
05-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I think everyone is overreacting on the venom thing.

I mean its pretty obvious that they are intending to bring him back. Otherwise, why would they have eddie jump back into the symbiote, and leave no body behind after the explosion. I think this was just an introduction to the villain, and he will be fleshed out a lot more in the next film.

That said, I was correct in assuming that their would be a little too much going on at once, but it was nowhere near as bad in that regard as x-men 3. Still enjoyed it a great deal.

DAMN iNATOR
05-05-2007, 01:18 PM
All the Spider-Man movies just seemed kinda, "meh..." to me. I was, however, thoroughly surprised to see that my local newspaper's movie critic only gave it a 5/10, because according to the headline "Spider-Man 3 has 3 too many villains" or something like that...:wtf:

wwe2222
05-05-2007, 01:45 PM
I think everyone is overreacting on the venom thing.

I mean its pretty obvious that they are intending to bring him back. Otherwise, why would they have eddie jump back into the symbiote, and leave no body behind after the explosion. I think this was just an introduction to the villain, and he will be fleshed out a lot more in the next film.

That said, I was correct in assuming that their would be a little too much going on at once, but it was nowhere near as bad in that regard as x-men 3. Still enjoyed it a great deal.

didnt they show his skeleton being incinerated in the blast?

movie was entertaining...just too much crammed in it

Reavant
05-05-2007, 01:47 PM
didnt they show his skeleton being incinerated in the blast?

movie was entertaining...just too much crammed in it

yea but if they wanted, they could say the symbiote protected him or absorbed him somehow

Reavant
05-05-2007, 01:47 PM
all in all im just praying theres another movie with him in it

Reavant
05-05-2007, 01:48 PM
also... what happened to the spider sense? I understand venom being able to block it, but harry snuck up on spiderman when he was on his glider on the street too

wwe2222
05-05-2007, 01:53 PM
also... what happened to the spider sense? I understand venom being able to block it, but harry snuck up on spiderman when he was on his glider on the street too

too much mary jane screws with your mind

UmbrellaCorporation
05-05-2007, 02:38 PM
By the way. Check this out, guys.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/784/784823p1.html

The big surprise in the FoxNews.com report is word that one character who appears to die in Spidey 3 might return for Spidey 4. "It turns out I may not be completely dead," the unnamed actor who plays the unspecified character revealed.

Mr. Monday Morning
05-05-2007, 03:19 PM
...no?

The only reason Venom was in the movie was Avi Arad asked Raimi to put him in after seeing that a portion of the fanbase reeeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted him in. Raimi has stated repeatedly he does not like the character.

Kane Knight
05-05-2007, 03:28 PM

I'll quote this because my question to you is the same question to the idiots who are complaining about the movie...

Did you WATCH the first two?

Spider-Man's Spider-Sense is no longer ESP, it's just enhanced senses. And getting nailed by a guy moving at those speeds is probably gonna happen.

Meanwhile, I saw an enjoyable movie. People are bitching about the poor plot. Come on, the plot was as solid as the first two. Granted, there's 80s porn with better plots, but that was in the first two movies, and everyone LOVED them.

This is nothing different. If you went in expecting a plot that was more than thinly spread to web the movie's action scenes together, you didn't see the first two, or you're an idiot. For those too stupid to get it, "you" is a pronoun which can refer to a specific person, but also as a general statement (This way, Reavant, you don't piss and moan like Jeritron).

And the ending was great, barring the fact that Venom shouldn't have been there in the first place. But once you get over that, assuming you are enough of a wanker to get hung up on it, the fight scene is awesome.

Beautiful film, weak plot, great action, best of the three.

And on a non-ranting note: I liked the way they ended the movie. It means there may be more, but if there aren't, we aren't left completely hanging.

Oh, and Venom: We see his bones lit up, but I don't think we see them disintegrate. Like any bright flash, it will cast shadows, and with enough light, it'll show your bones instead of your skin. Maybe he's dead. Don't know. Doubt it. Harry survived a pumpkin bomb, and while he may have been superhuman, the suit HAD enveloped Brock. Brock might be more hurt, but remember, Harry only had a few burns on his face. Nasty, but clearly not severe.

My primary gripe is that they spend huge sums on a cast, and don't bother to do anything with them. The deepest scene in the movie is probably the final one between Parker and Marko. However, this is a standing gripe. I don't know why, all of a sudden, people are bitching about something that was prevalent in the first two.

That's like complaining that Return of the King had too many landscape shots, or complaining about the space battles in Return of the Jedi. It's like getting to Revenge of the Sith and complaining that the dialogue was bad after raving about the first two.

It's just weird. Why now?

Mercury Bullet
05-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Although the movie did lack in bits, overall I found it really enjoyable...although part of that was the fact that I was with a fairly big group of friends and that during the Emo Parker scenes, along with certain other scenes the whole cinema just cracked up laughing.

Also Evil Parker was well worth the price of admission. Words cannot describre how funny that was.

Yeh there was quite a bit of laughter at some seems in the theater where I was too. And in the scene I think you're talking about when (highlight)He's standing behind Harry on the balcony or whatever, there was some laughter in the theater, and then I couldn't stop myself from saying out loud "Jared Leto is in this movie?" Which drew some more laughter out of the people around me.. And another scene that I thought I was REALLY bad when Peter and Mary Jane are standing on the bridge and Harry was forcing her to break it off with him, they're acting was completely pathetic I thought, particularly Toby Mac. A lot of people laughed during this part too.

Apocolyptik1
05-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I was entertained for my 7 bucks. Nothing a critic would say could have kept me from the movie anyways.

ClockShot
05-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Got back from this a short while ago.

Really hard to sit through. (Even at a 9:15 am. show, kids actually skipped saturday morning cartoons and made it. Quiet crowd about 15-20 people total.) Action was good, plot line was so so.

Lloyd (Tom Haden Church to Wings fans) was freakin' fantastic. I can watch him anytime and not be dissapointed. However I think Arnold Vosloo can do a better sandwall anyday.

The chick who played Gwen Stacy would have been a perfect Felica Hardy. I'm surprised they didn't go that route.

I don't get why most of you liked evil Peter Parker. I had to turn away cause it looked so ridiculous. spoilers in black: The John Travolta strut, the scene at the night club, the chick feeding him cookies. I cringed when I saw that. Bad ass Parker during his fights with Sandman and Harry were great.

I love J.K. Simmons. Shrink, cop, news editor, cigarette big wig. He just rules.

I admit Topher Grace did do the Eddie Brock role great. However, I wished he were a bit bigger like the cartoon. Venom on the other hand, I wish they took a little more time on the voice. And maybe add some more muscle.

Damn fine job by James Franco. I give credit to whoever said it, but this was his movie. I enjoyed him very much.

250+ million dollar budget and they can put Chubby Checker's "The Twist", but totally neglect Metallica's "Enter Sandman". God damn, I was hoping I would hear that.

I know it kinda leaves the door open, but with Maguire and Dunst not doing another one. This will probably be it.

Kane Knight
05-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Clockshot, the reason people loved it was the same reason people like Tarantino. It was so horrible it was deemed good.

I mean, I was laughing my ass off. Not because it was good funny, but because Raimi should be shot for having done that.

On an unrelated note, when MJ asks "Who are you?" In that really tense moment, I cracked up the theater by saying (Louder than I had intended), "I'm Batman."

Mercury Bullet
05-05-2007, 05:53 PM
I cracked up the theater by saying (Louder than I had intended), "I'm Batman."

:rofl: , no that is the kind of comment that needs to be made outloud in a movie theater.

Reavant
05-05-2007, 05:54 PM
I'll quote this because my question to you is the same question to the idiots who are complaining about the movie...

Did you WATCH the first two?

Spider-Man's Spider-Sense is no longer ESP, it's just enhanced senses. And getting nailed by a guy moving at those speeds is probably gonna happen.

yea i saw em and my question was the same there. In the first two he was jumping out of the way of things before they were near him unless he was being bombarded. Like when he grabed MJ and dodged the car in the cafe in 2. Howewver his enimies could completely sneak up on him all the time. Im not really complaining about it, I just found it a little weird.

Reavant
05-05-2007, 05:57 PM
too much mary jane screws with your mind:rofl:

Kane Knight
05-05-2007, 06:01 PM
yea i saw em and my question was the same there. In the first two he was jumping out of the way of things before they were near him unless he was being bombarded. Like when he grabed MJ and dodged the car in the cafe in 2. Howewver his enimies could completely sneak up on him all the time. Im not really complaining about it, I just found it a little weird.

It's not even weird. He doesn't get snuck up on so much as flanked.

Fryza
05-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Saw the midnight showing of this Thursday and absolutely loved it. It was definately rushed, but still, I thought it was great. Brock/Venom was done very well, my only beef was how he spoke, didn't come off as Venom.

It was fairly cartoonish (Campbell, Emo-Peter's montage), but the movie was great. Hectic and chaotic, much like most of Spider-Man's life.

Definately will see this again though. Great stuff.

Kane Knight
05-05-2007, 07:37 PM
I agree. It was rushed. There was too much in one movie and little buildup.

But it was the best of the three.

Venom should also have been bigger and meaner.

Fryza
05-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Meaner maybe, but I thought Venom was nicely sized. The bulking, massive Venom would have been... Over-done. The voice was a wee bit too high/soft for Venom IMO, but I still think everyone's favorite symbiote was done pretty well.

Kane Knight
05-05-2007, 08:29 PM
They were inconsistent with his voice.

Also, I thought it was funny that I asked if they Goa'ulded the voice, and the symbiote sounds like a Goa'uld symbiote.

I do think he should have been bigger though. And the eyes looked like they were painted on. Venom should have been like Lesnar, even if Grace wasn't.

alvarado52
05-05-2007, 09:58 PM
just got back from watching it. FUCKIN ROCKED. Although i wish Venom was in it more (but then again, i would because Venoms my all time fav). All in all, great movie and great way to end it if it ends.

I do like how Topher played Venom though, much more light hearted and joking than he is in the comics. Kinda like they crossed Venom (black symbiote, Eddie Brock) with Carnage (skinnier, more of a joker)

Skippord
05-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Meaner maybe, but I thought Venom was nicely sized. The bulking, massive Venom would have been... Over-done. The voice was a wee bit too high/soft for Venom IMO, but I still think everyone's favorite symbiote was done pretty well.
Carnage is my favorite Symbiote

Downunder
05-06-2007, 01:29 AM

Seriously mate, that's not a just streach that's a Superman tall buildings in a single bound leap.

But no doubt a bunch of fuck wits will put up an online petition accusing Spiderman 3 of being anti Arab and a tool of the Bush administration, just as they did with 300.

RP
05-06-2007, 02:51 AM
I hated the first two Spiderman movies and i havent seen this one yet, but i just think Toby McGuire is a horrible Spiderman. The guy that plays the Hobgoblin would have been much better. These Spiderman movies could have been so much better and they arent. The casts are horrible Kristen Dunst is brutal. The only good scene Kristen Dunst has had in these movies is the one where we can see her banana tits in the rain. Thats it. They should just pretend these movies never happend and start over.

Boondock Saint
05-06-2007, 03:45 AM
It was ok, I guess. The action was great, everything in between...not so much. Dark Peter and Bruce Campbell were hilarious, though. On par, or slightly below part 1 but doesn't touch part 2.

Felt like the X3 of the franchise, for sure. Entertaining but disappointing, as somene said above. 3/5

Kane Knight
05-06-2007, 09:11 AM
I do like how Topher played Venom though, much more light hearted and joking than he is in the comics. Kinda like they crossed Venom (black symbiote, Eddie Brock) with Carnage (skinnier, more of a joker)

Carnage wasn't really a joker, as much as a psychopath. Venom was ALWAYS a joker, however, whose murderous mad-on for Spider-Man was always intermixed with twisted humour.

Venom was superbly done in the comics. Brock's life was ruined by Spider-Man AND Parker. The symbiote was LITERALLY a lover scorned. This new version just isn't as good. Sure, it makes people angry, but that kind of kills the thing that made Venom interesting. This Venom is full of Anger and Agressions. The old Venom has saved Mary Jane, and dozens of other innocent lives. He was the most terrifying character Spider-Man could face. But he was also a self-declared protector of innocence.

Not saying there isn't a Carnage connection, but on a different level.

Kane Knight
05-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Seriously mate, that's not a just streach that's a Superman tall buildings in a single bound leap.

But no doubt a bunch of fuck wits will put up an online petition accusing Spiderman 3 of being anti Arab and a tool of the Bush administration, just as they did with 300.

And at least 300 had some actual context with which to say that. It's grasping at straws, but at least it's not trying to clutch the wind.

Spider-Man's been posing in front of American flags since before 9-11 (When the trailers were showing him on the flag pole and swinging past the Twin Towers, which must never be shown ever again, lest an Arab try and fly a plane through the screen), os a dramatic shot with Spidey in front of a flagpole is surprising as him shooting webs.

tucsonspeed6
05-06-2007, 01:38 PM
It wasn't bad. Not the best, but I wouldn't go so far as to take the fanboy overreaction that it's the worst movie of the year.

Maybe everyone's reactions to the movie are based on what they're expecting going in. I went in after reading the first couple of pages from this thread and thought it was going to be terrible. During the opening credits, they showed scenes of the first two movies, and I jokingly whispered to my wife "Ok, now that we've shown you the two good Spiderman movies, here's this pile of crap." But I was pleasantly suprised that it wasn't all that bad.

I don't care if the movie was completely accurate with the comics or not. When the first one came out, fanboys went nuts because he didn't use web cartridges. It didn't make it a bad movie. And I think ending a movie with a little closure is a good thing.

My only qualms about this movie are that there was a little too much going on, and some of the dots could have matched up a little clearer. Tack on five more minutes of Eddie's background so we can see why he hates Parker so much that he wants him dead. We had two movies full of why Harry hates Peter and why Peter wants to avenge his uncle, but only a couple scenes of Parker screwing Eddie. Also, at one point, there was so much drama going on with no action in sight that I had to remind myself that I was in a Spiderman movie.

After the movie was over, I had a chuckle at the Kenny-esque irony of Gwen Stacy. One of the few characters in the comics who died and stayed dead for good actually survived this movie. It reminded me of the episode of South Park that Kenny actually survived

alvarado52
05-06-2007, 03:39 PM
I think they did stuff too much into the movie. Odd considering the thing is over 2 hours long, but yea...it was rushed for sure like you all said. Some of things could have been done without *spoiler in black...not really a spoiler, but some people are picky*like the whole jazz dance scene. I would have rather had more background on WHY Penny was sick, what was she sick from? Venom stalking Marko would have been a good scene, to clarify WHY he knows about the Sandmans problems with his child and Spiderman.

And my BIGGEST problem with the ENTIRE franchise so far.

WHY OH WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE ENEMY END UP FINDING OUT SPIDERMAN'S IDENTITY?

Jeritron
05-06-2007, 04:42 PM
DOesn't matter as long as they die. Goblin finding out is instrumental, Doc Ock finding out was done well and he died 5 minutes later. As for Venom finding out, there's never a point where Venom doesn't or shouldn't know, since the suit knows everything about Parker/Spidey.

So the only gripe you have should really be with Sandman, who never does find out Spiderman's identity until Venom bring him in on it, which isn't even for sure that he does find out. If Venom doesn't tell him, he only finds out at the end before he gets forgiven.

tucsonspeed6
05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Spiderman asked him if he remembered shooting Ben before he tried getting revenge. Sandman only needed to put two and two together to figure out that Spiderman was related to him. It doesn't matter that it's Peter in particular. Just that it's somebody related to Ben.

Kane Knight
05-06-2007, 06:23 PM
During the opening credits, they showed scenes of the first two movies, and I jokingly whispered to my wife "Ok, now that we've shown you the two good Spiderman movies, here's this pile of crap."

I said something similar, that NOBODY starts a movie with clips from past movies unless they know it's gonna suck.

I would have rather had more background on WHY Penny was sick, what was she sick from? Venom stalking Marko would have been a good scene, to clarify WHY he knows about the Sandmans problems with his child and Spiderman.

And my BIGGEST problem with the ENTIRE franchise so far.

WHY OH WHY DOES EVERY SINGLE ENEMY END UP FINDING OUT SPIDERMAN'S IDENTITY?

I just assumed that the Symbiote passed on the knowledge.

Also, it's something I was thinking of in similar terms. Spidey is unmasked every 13 minutes in those movies. The part with Harry, with Norman, makese sense. And even Sandman makes sense to an extent. But when you get a trende where Parker's always unmasked....

DOesn't matter as long as they die. Goblin finding out is instrumental, Doc Ock finding out was done well and he died 5 minutes later. As for Venom finding out, there's never a point where Venom doesn't or shouldn't know, since the suit knows everything about Parker/Spidey.

I just want to point out that people keep bringing up Raimi's hardon for the Sinsiter 6. And if Doc Ock comes back as part of it (I don't think he's dead) it could be a problem. Of course, they have the "amnesia angle.

Reavant
05-06-2007, 09:35 PM
In the comics, the symbiote passed on all the knowledge but like a lot of other things they left it out of the movie. Brock found out that Parker was spiderman like 2 seconds before he bacame Venom because he saw Peter trying to get the suit off. Apparently he can see clearly all the way to the top of a bell tower... meh

Kane Knight
05-06-2007, 11:41 PM
That was pretty funny. Despite in the shot, you could see he couldn't possibly have told it was Peter.

UmbrellaCorporation
05-07-2007, 12:55 AM
That was pretty funny. Despite in the shot, you could see he couldn't possibly have told it was Peter.

Yeah, I thought that was really ballistic too. As much as I love this movie (and I do), I keep having to remind myself to take it for what it is, and not worry about every plot hole. If I worried over every single plothole, I'd probably commit suicide, as this movie is full of them.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Superman 3
Batman Forever
XMen The Last Stand
Blade Trinity

How many comic movie franchise that make it to 3 films maintain this quality? It was still pretty damn good.
All criticism stems from dissapointment and missed expectations. I think peoples belive that it could have been better, or personal wishes shouldn't stand in the way of realizing that regardless it was good. But lets face it, Spidey 1 and especially 2 left goddamn huge shoes to fill. This movie still was a damn good flick. The dissapointment comes from a lot going on, and the misuse of Venom and juggling of multiple storylines and villians. However it still moved on with the franchise, didn't lose it's appeal and stayed true to the first two. Plus it's a dream come true to see the black suited Spidey and Venom on screen, even if it wasn't the fanboy wet dream we all greedily expected.

Loose Cannon
05-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Greatest Superhero movie I've seen so far. I LOVED it. The tag team action was fuckin awesome.

Mark out moment: When heel Spidey caught the pumpkin bomb in Goblin's mansion and fired it right back at him and just laughed. woah.

Mr Regal
05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
That was high point in the film:y:

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Anyone else think that the kid who plays Petrelli (HEroes) would be a better Spider-Man than Tobey?

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 10:35 AM
And hey, if we're going into plot holes, why did Spider-Man not feel a little weirder about just waking up hanging upside down in front of a building?

In the comics, it was a long time before the symbiote gave him any reason to believe something was up (Aside from the intial trigger of his Spider-Sense). When he found he was doing stuff in his sleep and such, he got worried. Spider-Man in the moviesis like "I woke up in a strange place and feel stronger...Should I think about this? Nah."

I mean, he did take it to Connors, but he didn't exactly seem concerned.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I remember him having a nightmare and waking up, hanging upside down in front of a reflective city window and being like "wtf" in the animated series. In the comics there was the whole secret war thing, but that wasn't what they were following and rightfully so.

Loose Cannon
05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
To give a deeper review, like I said this was the best superhero film I have watched. The action scenes were very entertaining. The final battle was very awesome. I was waiting for Goblin to make the save and the way I personally wanted to see it done was exactly what they did. The pumpkin bomb just coming into the shot and into Sandman was really cool. I liked how Venom and Sandman did that double team where Venom tied Spidey down and Sandman just pounded on him.

There was a lot of slow stuff and I could tell a lot of people getting restless in the theatre. But that comes with all movies. The action seemed to pick back up quickly though.

The best speech scene in the movie I thought came from the butler guy of Goblin. When he talked about Goblin's dad dying by his own hand and not Spiderman's. I thought that was very well done and led perfectly into the Goblin coming in to save Spiderman and Jane.

I laughed my ass off at Asshole Spiderman. It was so funny just watching the hero be a heel. It almost made Brock and Franco good guys for a little bit. The John Travolta stuff was kind of cheesy, but it was funny. I loved the scene where he just beat the shit out of Goblin and was like " awww what, is little Goblin gonna cry now?" LOL.

Who is the Black Cat in the movie? Someone mentioned it in this thread.

I liked the guy who played Sandman. I thought he did an outstanding job with the character. When he put the striped shirt on, I really felt like it was Sandman from the comics.

Great fun movie all around.

Reavant
05-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Who is the Black Cat in the movie? Someone mentioned it in this thread.

Shes not in this movie. I was discussing possible plots for the next movie, if there is one. I was thinking that they could make gwen stacy the black cat, even though she isnt in the comics or any other story.

Boondock Saint
05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
The best speech scene in the movie I thought came from the butler guy of Goblin. When he talked about Goblin's dad dying by his own hand and not Spiderman's. I thought that was very well done and led perfectly into the Goblin coming in to save Spiderman and Jane.

Seriously? I thought it was terrible. That was way too conveniant. Why the hell did he wait til just then to tell Harry all that?

Oh well.

Reavant
05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Anyone else think that the kid who plays Petrelli (HEroes) would be a better Spider-Man than Tobey?
I think Tobey is a good Peter Parker, but hes not a good spiderman.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I think Tobey is a good Peter Parker, but hes not a good spiderman.

I respectfully disagree. When that costume goes on he has all the right moves and mannerisms, and the design of the costume and his frame look like spidey. He acts perfectly once he dons the suit, and his voice and cocky tone are perfect, especially when he delivers the trademark quips and one liners.

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I remember him having a nightmare and waking up, hanging upside down in front of a reflective city window and being like "wtf" in the animated series. In the comics there was the whole secret war thing, but that wasn't what they were following and rightfully so.

Not really the point.

You have tunnel vision, don't you?

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I think it's more the point that he's distracted by the power of the suit and how good it feels, it's an addictive feeling. So waking up in the middle of the street is pretty strange, but sleep walking isn't nearly as strange as some of the shit Spiderman has always seen and taken for seemingly normal. He did have a "wtf" reaction, and proceeded to become caught up in what the suit felt like instead of what it is.
He later goes to see connors, but he never really says that the suit is making him behave the way he is. It kind of just has a grip on his mind and he doesn't question it much.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 02:11 PM
I found it strange that after bonding with him, the black suit was still a regular fabric suit with a removable mask, until it became more bonded. It probably stuck to him more before he removed it because it knew he was getting rid of it.
But it's strange that until then it wasn't really a bonded symbiote, but just his suit with a personality leech. He was able to take it off and fold it up like a regular suit.
Which makes me wonder, why did he have a Spidey suit that was normal, and the black suit in a dresser. Was it it's own fabric suit that he took off on top of his original, or did it bond with his suit altogether and he just had a second suit?

D Mac
05-07-2007, 02:40 PM
BRUCE FUCKING CAMPBELL

That is all.

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
I found it strange that after bonding with him, the black suit was still a regular fabric suit with a removable mask, until it became more bonded. It probably stuck to him more before he removed it because it knew he was getting rid of it.
But it's strange that until then it wasn't really a bonded symbiote, but just his suit with a personality leech. He was able to take it off and fold it up like a regular suit.
Which makes me wonder, why did he have a Spidey suit that was normal, and the black suit in a dresser. Was it it's own fabric suit that he took off on top of his original, or did it bond with his suit altogether and he just had a second suit?

It was still a symbiote, just not a bonded one.

And I'd imagine Spidey always has a spare suit. however, I didn't see any of the fabric when he tore it off, so maybe not. But then, I think this is still overthinking the movie.

Reavant
05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
They kinda screwed that up. Especially since Venom had his open and close around him. Not a big deal tho.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 03:02 PM
I have a theory on dissapointing installments.

Whenever a classic movie has a sequel that is better (ie Spiderman 2, ESB, X2, T2, etc,) the third movie is usually a dissapointment to most people. Some are bad, some are still good, but usually once the sequel outshines the original, the third is doomed to be labled a dissapointment due to the classic and classic-er trend of the first two. It's expected to be classic-est, and it usually fails to meet this.

Spiderman, Star Wars, Xmen, Terminator, and Alien were all huge classic hits.
Spiderman 2, Empire Strikes Back, X2, Terminator 2 and Aliens were all considered to suprisingly outshine their classic predecessor.
Spiderman 3, Return of the Jedi, X3, T3 and Alien 3 are all labled as dissapointing, even though individual quality varies among them.

Notice the trend?

Of course a movie can only be judged for what it is, and not as part of a trend. With that being said, I feel Spiderman 3 isn't as good as part 2, but is still a very good movie in its own right.

alvarado52
05-07-2007, 04:21 PM
i concur

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I have a theory on dissapointing installments.

Whenever a classic movie has a sequel that is better (ie Spiderman 2, ESB, X2, T2, etc,) the third movie is usually a dissapointment to most people. Some are bad, some are still good, but usually once the sequel outshines the original, the third is doomed to be labled a dissapointment due to the classic and classic-er trend of the first two. It's expected to be classic-est, and it usually fails to meet this.

Spiderman, Star Wars, Xmen, Terminator, and Alien were all huge classic hits.
Spiderman 2, Empire Strikes Back, X2, Terminator 2 and Aliens were all considered to suprisingly outshine their classic predecessor.
Spiderman 3, Return of the Jedi, X3, T3 and Alien 3 are all labled as dissapointing, even though individual quality varies among them.

Notice the trend?

Of course a movie can only be judged for what it is, and not as part of a trend. With that being said, I feel Spiderman 3 isn't as good as part 2, but is still a very good movie in its own right.

Empire actually wasn't. Retroactively, it was later considered better, but that was well after Jedi. Lucas actually LOST a lot of fans because his second Star Wars lost the plot, so to speak. The first was groundbreaking, amazing, and well-defined, and a lot of people didn't think the second one was.

I won't even bother arguing that Spider-Man's not really in "classic" land, because I can tell I'd be inundated by fanboys, but....

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Well it's Spiderman. And the series has been on a level of popularity and mainstream following that are rivaled by few.
The thing has been a massive success, and a massive hit. It's the type of thing that's timeless. I know some people reserve the term 'classic' until years later, but I think it's safe to say Spiderman is going down as a true classic. Just as much, if not more, than Batman and Superman did.

mitch_h
05-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Question, did The Sandman ever look like "Rockbiter" from The Neverending Story, in the comics?

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 05:00 PM
They kinda screwed that up. Especially since Venom had his open and close around him. Not a big deal tho.

Even in the comics, Venom did things that the Symbiote didn't do previously. This was always explained that the suit was "just a costume" to him.

Which makes sense.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 05:18 PM
When the suit seperates itself from Parker, it develops it's own hate for Parker because he rejected it. This causes the suit to become more evil than it's natural badside. The suit also takes with it Parker's knowledge and powers, but also a new overhauled identity. It's more controlling, hate filled and clingy.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Question, did The Sandman ever look like "Rockbiter" from The Neverending Story, in the comics?

Yea, he can grow and form to whatever size he wants. He actually has unlimited capacity, it just depends on how much sand is around him.
Makes me wonder why he wouldn't go to the beach and become the size of a small country.

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Well it's Spiderman. And the series has been on a level of popularity and mainstream following that are rivaled by few.
The thing has been a massive success, and a massive hit. It's the type of thing that's timeless. I know some people reserve the term 'classic' until years later, but I think it's safe to say Spiderman is going down as a true classic. Just as much, if not more, than Batman and Superman did.

Not every movie that enjoys blockbuster sales lasts for generations.

Go look aty prior record breakers.

Selling well=/= classic.

(Sorry this response is so late, I just noticed the MOUNTAIN BEGHIND ME IS ON FIRE!!!!!!!)

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Spiderman wasn't just a hit, it was a cultural phenomenon. And it has been for decades before the movies came around that only made the whole thing more popular. It will be sticking around (no pun intended)

Fignuts
05-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Carnage wasn't really a joker, as much as a psychopath. Venom was ALWAYS a joker, however, whose murderous mad-on for Spider-Man was always intermixed with twisted humour.

Venom was superbly done in the comics. Brock's life was ruined by Spider-Man AND Parker. The symbiote was LITERALLY a lover scorned. This new version just isn't as good. Sure, it makes people angry, but that kind of kills the thing that made Venom interesting. This Venom is full of Anger and Agressions. The old Venom has saved Mary Jane, and dozens of other innocent lives. He was the most terrifying character Spider-Man could face. But he was also a self-declared protector of innocence.

Not saying there isn't a Carnage connection, but on a different level.

That was kind of my problem with venom. Raimi really seemed to understand the villains' comic counterparts in the first two, but I think his didlike for venom clouded his judgement of what the character should be. I don't think he should have caved in to Avi, and gave venom such a huge part. I would have been much happier if they would have devoted more time to sandman, as so much more could have been done with him. We don't even get any closure on the situation between him and his daughter. I would have been fine with the movie ending on the shot of the symbiote taking over eddie and forming venom.

But like I said, It was still enjoyable enough where you could look past these gripes and still have fun.

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Spiderman wasn't just a hit, it was a cultural phenomenon. And it has been for decades before the movies came around that only made the whole thing more popular. It will be sticking around (no pun intended)

You can keep saying it....

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 10:22 PM
That was kind of my problem with venom. Raimi really seemed to understand the villains' comic counterparts in the first two, but I think his didlike for venom clouded his judgement of what the character should be. I don't think he should have caved in to Avi, and gave venom such a huge part. I would have been much happier if they would have devoted more time to sandman, as so much more could have been done with him. We don't even get any closure on the situation between him and his daughter. I would have been fine with the movie ending on the shot of the symbiote taking over eddie and forming venom.

But like I said, It was still enjoyable enough where you could look past these gripes and still have fun.

I agree, completely. Sandman should have gotten more love, Venom should have been built up in this one so we knew he was coming in the next one.

But still, that final sigght scene was all sorts of awesome.

The other problem is that Spider-Man shouldn't fight two guys you need strategy to beat in one movie. Both Venom and Sandman are guys he can't just pummel. Even Doc Ock requires mostly muscle, timing, and ass-kickery. Ideally, I'd like to see Spider-Man face a guy he can just beat the shit out of, and a guy who he'd have to outsmart. If he fights a duo at all. Ideally. It's a minor gripe,. like most of my gripes with this movie.

I do really wonder if Venom's gone...Just a little, but for the same reason he was probably filler. Raimi really seems to hate him.

Let me axe y'all a question: Would anyone really feel bad if Venom wasn't in the movies at all? I would have been happy with the Sinister Six, which is what's been hinted at.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 10:28 PM
You can keep saying it....

You can keep denying it

Boondock Saint
05-07-2007, 11:38 PM
"Cultural Phenomenon" is taking it a bit far...

Reavant
05-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Well its official, E! said today on both the Daily Ten and E! News Live that theyre making FOUR new spiderman movies. The cast isnt for sure, but they were all interviewed saying how much they'd love to do it if they all stayed together.

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 11:49 PM
"Cultural Phenomenon" is taking it a bit far...

Not really...Spiderman has been a big deal for a long time now. It's all over the place, and has been since the 60s. As for the movies, they're just as big of a deal, and have made the whole thing only bigger. It's been a big deal for 5 years now, and it's now cool to like Spiderman.
P.S, it just brought in 148 million dollars in a weekend.

Spiderman was always legendary and destined to be a huge hit and a big success when crossing over into live action, but the way it has been executed has made it not just a comic book movie, but a theater event and something for everyone. Kids, adults, boys, girls, men, women, nerds, jocks and everyone is into it.
It came out at a time post-911 when the feel good hero thing was wanted badly. That's why it suprisingly broke records and was being talked about everywhere. 2 movies and 5 years later it's doing the same thing.

It's just as big, probably bigger, than Superman was in 1978. And Superman was and is a cultural phenomenon

Jeritron
05-07-2007, 11:55 PM
That's why Christopher Reeves was headline news through the 90s after having done nothing but play Superman. Because something bad happened to him that happens to others everyday, but he was part of a cultural phenomenon and people still cared 20 years later. Even with a smaller impact and pop culture sensation, and no good sequels.

Boondock Saint
05-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Superman II is superior to 1.

The Mackem
05-08-2007, 05:11 AM
Saw Spiderman 3 yesterday. I enjoyed it, girlfriend said it was a bit long and too much happening but, y'know, girls.

Downunder
05-08-2007, 07:32 AM
I liked it more than the other two (and I thought they sucked). But I was only just aware of Venom (Eric Foreman :rofl: ) and I'd never heard of Sandman (They cast Ned from Ned and Stacey :rofl: ), so I didn't notice all the characters/storyline inaccuracies. But all in all the fanboy shit aside (which I'm not) for a big dumb movie it was pretty good.

Except Kirstin Dunst who is truly terrible, I wonder how she ever even got work in commercials.

mitchables
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Just got back from seeing this. I enjoyed it just as much as the other two. Despite the obvious gripes (yes, there were a lot of storylines, we get it - but at the time the movie was being written/made, they weren't even sure there'd be a fourth movie, so I guess they wanted to try and deliver what they could while they could), I think it was actually a pretty good film, overall. Script wasn't as awful as everyone made out, and overall it wasn't as contrived as I had been led to believe. I think both villains were excellent but both got screwed a bit by the other's presence... that is, without one of them, more time could have been spent developing their storylines and making their characters more deeply tied to the story. Given what they had though, I thought Thomas Haden Church did a great job at making Marko a sympathetic character and Topher Grace really wasn't bad at all. Thought he played a good Brock.

J. Jonah Jameson was brilliant and underused as always. I like the fact they've slowly built up Connors' character, too. It will make his transformation into The Lizard more emotionally momentous. I hope the same for Harvey Dent in Batman 3 (or the end of 2, or whatever).

Anyway. Long story short (kinda), I enjoyed it.

YOUR Hero
05-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Watched it last night. It was good. I'd say better than the first two, although I've liked them all. Sandman was played well. Liked his character.
Um... my kids and wife were a bit confused by Brock and Harry. They kept getting those two mixed up. MAybe they should have found people that didn't have so many similar characteristics. At least that's what they say. Not sure if other casual fans had this same point of view.

Kane Knight
05-08-2007, 10:15 AM
You can keep denying it

:lol:

It's not even denying it. It's being level headed. Prudent, even.

Like, you'll probably missing this too, because that's what TPWW does. I'm not saying that it won't be a classic in the future. But dubbing it one now is inane, because other blockbusters have gotten similar attention. Cultural phenomenon? Yeah. That one I'll argue, but there's nothing to deny. Just something you've made up yourself.

Adder
05-08-2007, 10:37 AM
It was ok. Just like all of them. Hoping for a Doc Oc return.

Kane Knight
05-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Doc Ock isn't dead.

Raimi told me himself. :shifty:

Adder
05-08-2007, 03:25 PM
There was a 'Doc Oc still at large poster' behind JJ Jameson in one of the scenes. *hope*

Kane Knight
05-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Weren't several of those pictures headlines from the previous movies though? Not to dash your hopes or anything....

Fignuts
05-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Let me axe y'all a question: Would anyone really feel bad if Venom wasn't in the movies at all?

I wouldn't, but a lot of people are just marks for venom, and don't care that other villains would be far more visually impressive than venom on the screen. Thats why I was so much more excited about sandman than venom for this movie.

Being that mysterio's powers deal with illusion, I think he could be the most impressive of them all, as you literaly have no boundries as to what you can do.

Better Than You
05-08-2007, 09:26 PM
A few things that kept me and my father form enjoying this film:

With the excetpion of the very begining the Costume isn't worm for the first 35 minutes of the film. I've waited two years to see Spider-Man, I'm ready to see Spider-Man. Come on.

When we finnally get the costume on: Why does the mask have to come off every five minutes? I mean seriously, once it gets time FINALLY see Spidy they make me see Tobey YET AGIAN. I'm so tired of his face. The only excuse I can find is that he's a terrible actor and needs "full range" to express something. Which doesn't say much about him.

Venom was rushed and unentertaining. (ALSO WHY DID HIS MASK HAVE TO COME OFF ALL THE TIME?)

Same with Harry. WHAT THE GAY. It's a Superhero movie, mask are apart of it...Batman keeps his mask on...

Spider-man dances...grrrrr

Not enough of Spidy having to get sidetracked to save randoms...it's one of my favorite parts of the charecter. Think of the train sequence in two or the bus in one. Great scenes.

Ultimately these aren't huge, but they did keep me from enjoying myself. I need the masks, I want to see super heros in spandex no matter what that X-Men flick says.

Kane Knight
05-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't, but a lot of people are just marks for venom, and don't care that other villains would be far more visually impressive than venom on the screen. Thats why I was so much more excited about sandman than venom for this movie.

Venom isn't exactly a slouch either.

I was nonplussed by Sandman, but more because he always seemed to be a B-character. I would have rather seen many other characters. And while I like Venom, I wouldn't shed a tear if there was no Venom.

Blitz
05-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Saw it tonight. Better than 1, not as good as 2, but still a fine film. Notes:

-It was bloated. Way too much stuff with MJ and Peter's relationship, not enough Sandy and Venom.

-I really hate Kirsten Dunst. If there are more movies, I hope MJ is recast. Wouldn't mind seeing Maguire back as Spidey, but if he is recast, like KK mentioned, I'd love to see Milo Ventimiglia (Peter from Heroes) step in.

-Bruce Campbell>>>you. Give him a bigger role in the next one. If he plays Mysterio like rumoured I will mark out.

-I got a huge kick out of the way Sandman's locket was always alright. Even after he was broken down to a molecular level, that locket survived.

-Sandman was good. Church's performance was good. I wanted more of it. I really hated the retconning of making him Uncle Ben's killer tho. It made no sense the way Venom recruits him to help kill Spidey, and then Sandman's just like "I didn't want this". Come on.

-I was a big fan of Venom, both Grace's performance and the appearance. He better not be dead. I wouldn't be surprised if he was tho, given Raimi's disdain for him.

-James Franco may have given the best performance in the film. But his face turn telegraphed his death wayyyyyyy too much.

-Y'know, if that butler had just told Harry about his dad a little earlier, he would have saved a lot of people a lot of grief.

-Peter being a "badass" was just cringe inducing. Especially the jazz bar scene. I thought the symbiote increased aggression, not turned you into a huge moron.

-More Jameson :'(

-Peter kissing Gwen like that was just dumb. Why would he be stupid enough to do that, in that way, in front of MJ. Just bad.

-Like I mentioned earlier, the villains just deserved more time. Probably my biggest gripe.

Kane Knight
05-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Guys, guys, guys. Nerd+Agression=Agressive nerd.

Be thankful that they didn't have him making 7 of 9 fakes and posting spoilers to recent films.

Boondock Saint
05-08-2007, 11:47 PM
7 of 9 :drool:

Jaded-Dragon
05-09-2007, 12:11 AM
I posted this on another forum a few days ago, seems everyone here is pretty much in agreement with me

What they should of done....

Movie starts out as normal, symbiote attaches itself to Peter as soon as he finds out Marko killed uncle Ben. Next fight scene between them proceeds as normal. Cut out all the filler after that point (The dancing and the jazz bar scene). Harry and the symbiote spidey throw down, but Harry runs off, scared of Peter's new power, he goes back into his gas chamber and pumps himself up even more.

Sandman returns, and Harry finds him and they form a plan to team up and take on Spidey, it should of been Spidey vs Sandman and GG at that point. Symbiote Spidey beats Harry down again and blows his face off, then he KILLS the Sandman, or atleast seemingly kills off the Sandman . Afterwards, he realizes what he is becomming and seperates himself from the symbiote, it falls onto Brock, creates Venom. Peter and MJ reconcile and have their little dance in the club, as the view shifts to the side of the street and you see Brock peering into the cafe, then he smiles and you see his razor sharp teeth and he laughs. THE END.

You finish off the Sandman story arc, GG is still alive, and you set yourself up for Spidey 4 with Venom.

This would of cut the movie down to around the 1hour 45min mark, which would of been much better IMHO. There was FAR too much filler in this movie.

Reavant
05-09-2007, 01:02 AM
I posted this on another forum a few days ago, seems everyone here is pretty much in agreement with me

Movie starts out as normal, symbiote attaches itself to Peter as soon as he finds out Marko killed uncle Ben. Next fight scene between them proceeds as normal. Cut out all the filler after that point (The dancing and the jazz bar scene). Harry and the symbiote spidey throw down, but Harry runs off, scared of Peter's new power, he goes back into his gas chamber and pumps himself up even more.

Sandman returns, and Harry finds him and they form a plan to team up and take on Spidey, it should of been Spidey vs Sandman and GG at that point. Symbiote Spidey beats Harry down again and blows his face off, then he KILLS the Sandman, or atleast seemingly kills off the Sandman . Afterwards, he realizes what he is becomming and seperates himself from the symbiote, it falls onto Brock, creates Venom. Peter and MJ reconcile and have their little dance in the club, as the view shifts to the side of the street and you see Brock peering into the cafe, then he smiles and you see his razor sharp teeth and he laughs. THE END.

You finish off the Sandman story arc, GG is still alive, and you set yourself up for Spidey 4 with Venom.

This would of cut the movie down to around the 1hour 45min mark, which would of been much better IMHO. There was FAR too much filler in this movie.
__________________:y:

Kane Knight
05-09-2007, 08:56 AM
I doubt both Osbournes are dead.

XL
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
-Y'know, if that butler had just told Harry about his dad a little earlier, he would have saved a lot of people a lot of grief.
My girfriend said the exact same thing.

Guys, guys, guys. Nerd+Agression=Agressive nerd.

Be thankful that they didn't have him making 7 of 9 fakes and posting spoilers to recent films.
I don't understand how few people got that.

He may be more confident / aggressive but he's still a real big nerd. A nerds idea of how to be "the man" is pretty well covered in Peter's stoopid strut and his finger pointing pulling technique.

XL
05-09-2007, 12:16 PM

The only thing is (as mentioned above) they werren't sure there was even going to be a 4th film. So if you set the scene for Venom and then never deliver you end with a lot of unhappy peeps out there.

Still I agree that the film is ver bloated.

Especially if you go to an 11:15pm showing that gets delayed half an hour!!

XL
05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Oh and my opinion on the film is...

It was better than X3.

Whether that means it was a better film or less dissapointing I ain't worked out yet.

Kane Knight
05-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't understand how few people got that.

He may be more confident / aggressive but he's still a real big nerd. A nerds idea of how to be "the man" is pretty well covered in Peter's stoopid strut and his finger pointing pulling technique.

Yeah, I mean, it's fun to mock the scene, but really. It's not hard to figure out why a nerd would act like...You know, a nerd....

Gone Mad
05-10-2007, 04:45 AM
Saw it opening day but I thought I'd give my thoughts on it. It was good, though I don't know what all the complaints are about. It's like people until now saw that the Spidey films have, you know, FLAWS. Sure, the other two had flaws too but it seems like it's new to people that this one does.

Despite all that, I dug it. Only complaints: too much going on and Kirsten. And I said since the beginning that people would complain about Venom, no matter what. I thought they did good on him, but people don't get it's based off of comic books and that this was probably the last flick for all involved. Things have to be rushed and hinted in case of a future and in this case, Venom is not dead. Oh, and X3 still sucks.

So yeah. Sorry, but all this reaction to it is just odd and upsetting. Just had to say it.

Dave Youell
05-10-2007, 05:31 AM
I doubt both Osbournes are dead.
:y:

That crazy butler does alot of things and also keeps a lot of things to himself as well.

Doc Oct was never seen actually dying either, he was seen in water, who's to say the arms didn't come back to life and get him out of the lake before he drown in there?

Next film should be The Lizard though, and I keep hearing loads of people wanting Kraven the Hunter.

One idea I head was heard was having loads of animal related villians (Vulture, Lizard, Ryhno, Scorpion) And Kraven was hunting them all to kill, but Spidy was trying to stop him and save the Villians so they can face justice. That could be good

Skippord
05-10-2007, 05:37 AM
Kraven is immense

Downunder
05-10-2007, 07:10 AM
VeNoM ShuLd HaV HiS PwN MoViE

Kane Knight
05-10-2007, 10:11 AM
:y:

That crazy butler does alot of things and also keeps a lot of things to himself as well.

Doc Oct was never seen actually dying either, he was seen in water, who's to say the arms didn't come back to life and get him out of the lake before he drown in there?

Next film should be The Lizard though, and I keep hearing loads of people wanting Kraven the Hunter.

One idea I head was heard was having loads of animal related villians (Vulture, Lizard, Ryhno, Scorpion) And Kraven was hunting them all to kill, but Spidy was trying to stop him and save the Villians so they can face justice. That could be good

I'd much rather see the Sinister Six formed.

I don't think I'll care either way, but...

Dave Youell
05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
I'd much rather see the Sinister Six formed.

I don't think I'll care either way, but...
Yeah totally, I'd love that myself as well.

I'd really like to see Electro, but there's next to no chance of me seeing him anytime soon

Reavant
05-10-2007, 11:35 AM
That Kraven Idea is really good. I like the Bruce Cambell playing Mysterio idea a lot better though. Theres a confirmed FOUR more movies, so Im sure all these villains will be seen eventually. Id like to eventually see a Maximum Carniage movie before the whole thing comes to an end as well.

Oh and how sweet would it be if after they make all these marvel movies, they made a Marvel Ultimate alliance movie with all the big actors from all the marvel movies. Youd have: Blade, Ghostrider, Fantastic 4, Some of the x-men (probably only wolverine and storm... maybe iceman), Spiderman, Ironman, Hulk, Punisher, i think Captain America and Thor movies are in the works. Plus all the villains you could get from the movies. I know its completely unrealistic because of the amount of big time actors in one movie but that would be the coolest thing ever.

Kane Knight
05-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah totally, I'd love that myself as well.

I'd really like to see Electro, but there's next to no chance of me seeing him anytime soon

Why? Wasn't it Raimi who had planned on building to the S6?

He doesn't even need to be the primary villain. I mean, Sandman was established, even though the primary antagonist in this movie was (Well, arguably, it was the suit) Harry.

Kane Knight
05-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh and how sweet would it be if after they make all these marvel movies, they made a Marvel Ultimate alliance movie with all the big actors from all the marvel movies. Youd have: Blade, Ghostrider, Fantastic 4, Some of the x-men (probably only wolverine and storm... maybe iceman), Spiderman, Ironman, Hulk, Punisher, i think Captain America and Thor movies are in the works. Plus all the villains you could get from the movies. I know its completely unrealistic because of the amount of big time actors in one movie but that would be the coolest thing ever.

My fanboyism aside, I think nay movie like that would blow. Between the price to cast them and the egos involved, this movie would be doomed from the start.

However, even if they didn't put out a Captain America movie, casting someone as Cap and having him show up in the movie would be nearly a requirement. They need a real Captain America movie. :mad:

Reavant
05-10-2007, 05:20 PM
My fanboyism aside, I think nay movie like that would blow. Between the price to cast them and the egos involved, this movie would be doomed from the start.

However, even if they didn't put out a Captain America movie, casting someone as Cap and having him show up in the movie would be nearly a requirement. They need a real Captain America movie. :mad:I know it wouldnt work, but FUCK i just wish the fuckin actors could put that shit aside and make a great movie for once! There is however there reports of them creating an avengers movie once they finish thor, cap, and iron man.

Jeritron
05-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Imagine if Marvel had contracted them all to star in one crossover movie initially in addition to their 2 or 3 movie deals in the individual franchises, and they saved it. Unrealistic, I know, but that's the only way they'd have been able to afford and land all those stars under one roof.

Kane Knight
05-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Unrealistic for more reasons than you seem to think.

It'd be entertaining though.

Better Than You
05-10-2007, 06:51 PM
So the mask thing doesn't bother anyone else?

:(

Kane Knight
05-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Which mask thing?

Better Than You
05-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Them not wearing their masks thing.

Jeritron
05-10-2007, 08:34 PM
God dude get over that. So spidey takes his mask off a lot. He does in the comics too. Plus any big spidey fight always results in his mask getting ripped or mangled to the point of it being all but gone.

He takes it off a lot in private. The only times in all 3 movies he's taken it off in front of people has been the train, in front of Doc Ock before his death to persuade him, and it was ripped off by Venom.
Sandman was let in on his identity as a result, but storywise it was for a reason.
Goblin found out through other tricky methods.
It got taken off in front of Harry in private, and MJ saw him during that second example.

So MJ and Harry are the only people who really know for more than 10 minutes. Aside from the people on the train who dont even know him anyways.

So what?
Batman takes his mask off too just to let you know. Movie wise, he's let just as many people in on his identity, whether they live to tell about it or not.

Downunder
05-10-2007, 09:52 PM
So the mask thing doesn't bother anyone else?

:(

Yeah it pissed me off, because I think toby maguire is shit, and I wanted to see spiderman - all I got was that dipshit.

YOUR Hero
05-10-2007, 09:54 PM
It seems to me that SPidey and his mask will soon depart in any and all movies they make. Like it's part of the script.

Jeritron
05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I think you guys are insane. So what if he takes his mask off when hes hanging around on a roof or whatever. I'd take that thing off too. You act like Bruce Wayne wears his mask around the batcave.
As for him having his identity revealed, once again, just as many people find out Batmans identity.

And if you're saying that he always has his mask off you're exaggerating things and you know it. Any time he's slingin webs and fighting crime, it's on. I'd take it off too if I was sitting in my apartment waiting for a crime to occur, or if I was on a rooftop taking a breather after a big fight. Nobodys around. He has a spider sense you know.

Kane Knight
05-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I think you guys are insane. So what if he takes his mask off when hes hanging around on a roof or whatever. I'd take that thing off too. You act like Bruce Wayne wears his mask around the batcave.

Dude, the buildings of New York are NOT the Batcave. Besides, Brock recognised Parker from an unruly distance where his face wasn't even showing.

It doesn't really bother me, but it's not like they're wrong.

However, one of my favorite moment's from SM2 is when They lay out Spider-Man and you hear people say "He's just a kid" or "he's my son's age..."

It's a cool moment. And the same with Doc Ock.

By the way, every chick he nails finding out Bruce Wayne is Batman is even worse. I mean, come on. To think a woman could hold that in, especially after a rough breakup?

Jeritron
05-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Well judging strictly by the films, lets judge Batman and Spiderman and the secret of their identitys. I'm going by memory, so correct me or add anything I forget.
I'll only count the first 3 batman films to make it even.

In Batman, Vicky Vale gets nailed by him and then suddenly shes in on it. She has VIP access to the Batcave and his whole life, and what do you know, she's gone from the story. She wasn't even an intrical part. At least Mary Jane was the love of Peter's life, and was his best friend for years. And it took her 2 movies to find out, and she was hanging around for the long haul.

Then you have the villians. Every villian in the first 3 spiderman movies found out spidermans's identity. Almost the same with Batman. Batman brought it up to Joker, not worrying about revealing it, because he had revenge on his mind and was planning on offing with him. Hmmm, sounds like Spidey and Sandman.
Then of course you have Catwoman, who Batman rips his mask off to persuade. Like Sandman, she lives, and she's out there but it's not really an issue since theres no hard feelings.

As for Goblin. Spiderman never reveals it to him, he finds it out. This is similar to Riddler and Two Face. That's two characters, not one. Either way Riddler goes insane and Two Face takes the plunge.
Then you have another chick, Chase Meridian, he nails her and shes in on the secret until she takes off just like Vale. Yea, thats two vindictive ex-girlfriends with a way to ruin your life. What are the chances one of them isn't selling the story to the press?

Walken's character finds out by accident too. I'll give Robin a pass since he became a sidekick, but theres a kid whos hanging out in the house and falls down the stairs into the batcave.

In spidey's case, his best friend with a vendetta against him finds out. That's highly story driven. His love interest finds out (finally). Norman Osborn and Octavius were personal villians with Peter, therefore his identity being revealed to them adds a lot more weight. Unlike Batman, where in most cases it's just bad guys with dirt on him.

Either way, a superheros identity being revealed to villians is not entirely rare. Espeically in a genre of movies where the villian is not a recurring character like in a monthly book, but a one off antagonist. If they're dying 5 minutes later, and especially if it drives the plot, whats the big deal?

Harry and MJ finding out, key. Much better than flavor of the month hookups with keys to the batcave.

Osborn and Octavius, key to the depth of the fued with Goblin, and in Otto's case, his salvation. Cool moments as well.
Venom's knowledge was built in, bell tower regardless.
Sandman never really knew until the end, but once again key to bringing closure to what makes both characters tick.

So the only gripe I'm seeing people have is the train. Which I thought was a touching and poingant scene. I think it means a lot to the series, and Spidey finally getting credit. Plus the idea of people showing gratitude for their lives, and keeping that secret out of respect is meaningful, even if in this crappy world its unrealistic.

I do see what you mean about him taking his masks off on roofs being worse than the batcave, but I still don't see the problem in it.

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Here's another pointless observation about the subject, but...

http://www.batman-on-film.com/batmanpics/keaton_batman_returns.jpghttp://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/spider_man_2/tobey_maguire/unmasked.jpg

I think it's a tad easier to take off the spidey mask and put it back on at will. If the Batman movie mask (which of course had to be permanently ripped to reveal his face) was as easy to take on and off, and could fit in a pocket, I'm sure Batman would leave it on the dashboard during the drives. He's got tinted windows.
It's all about convenience.

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 12:11 AM
And of course, before anyone bitches about Batman or Spiderman and how often they leave themselves open to being exposed, lets just take a look at this.

http://www.chrisreevehomepage.com/images/superman/i-ck.jpghttp://www.chrisreevehomepage.com/images/superman/i-excuse.jpg

Nobody should be knocking Wayne and Parker when Kent is clearly the biggest joke of them all. I don't know who's dumber, him for attempting it, or everyone he knows for buying it hook line and sinker.

Kane Knight
05-11-2007, 12:14 AM
It's fairly retarded, but it's a very mild retardation.

More an "I bent my wookie" retarded, rather than a "I was whittling a guitar naked and accidentally cut my dick off" retarded.

The one thing I'd point out about the train scene is that Parker lives in a city of millions. There are probably a dozen people minimum who look like him anyway. So when he's unmasked, they're probably not seeing Peter Parker, the Amazing Spider-Man, they're seeing some poor boy who they've never met before.

Now, I live in a town of thousands. If I were Spider-Man, and Unmasked, they'd probably know who I was within that town. And on the other side, if he was someone rich/important, like Astronaut John Jameson, Playboy Anthony Stark, or even industrialist Norman Osbourne, they'd recognise him. But Peter's best defense has always been that he's nobody. In the comics, Doc Ock unmasked him, and was all "WTF? He's a kid, not Spider-Man!" Peter even confessed a couple of times. Nobody wants to believe Spider-Man's some Nerd from Queens.

I know it kinda flies in the face of what I was saying about rooftops, but I was more saying it's different to take your mask off in public (even obscure public) over in the sanctity of your fortress (albeit one that several people have discovered).

I can't believe we're getting this deep into this sorta thing.

Meh. I like to talk.

EDIT:

Superman's ridiculous. I don't think anyone's even going to bother to defend that. but Bats and Spider-Man are characters comparable to one another, and Supes is notcomparable to either.

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 12:18 AM
I agree. Spidermans not as open to as much recognition. That was exactly what I said to a friend regarding the train. Like those people would be able to say anything if they tried. Well, it was a kid between 18-30, he had brown hair and he wasn't that tall.

Of course, almost everything in Spiderman is in some way inspired by the comics. As opposed to cheap tactics to strengthen the bond between Batman's girl of the week who are written for the movie.

http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManA/Large/AmazingSpider-Man012.jpg

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Of course, this is my favorite...

Movie:
http://spidey2.really-heavy.org/skins/nomore/banner.jpg

Original comic:
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/images_misc/SpiderMan_NoMore_comicScene.jpg

Kane Knight
05-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I was really hoping that Spider-Man being unmasked in two would be similar to the comics and cartoon.

When Harry pulled the mask off, I wanted to see Harry totally refuse to believe it. And I wanted Octavius there, too. Cementing that it was a setup.

Now, I know that as written, that wouldn't lead to Harry v Peter.

on the other hand, you could still have him haunted by his father anyway, and he still snaps. You know? His father convinces him that Parker IS Spider-Man.

But even better, Parker won't see the ribvalry coming at all. Because Osborne will play it close to the chest.

Better Than You
05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
God dude get over that. So spidey takes his mask off a lot. He does in the comics too. Plus any big spidey fight always results in his mask getting ripped or mangled to the point of it being all but gone.

He takes it off a lot in private. The only times in all 3 movies he's taken it off in front of people has been the train, in front of Doc Ock before his death to persuade him, and it was ripped off by Venom.
Sandman was let in on his identity as a result, but storywise it was for a reason.
Goblin found out through other tricky methods.
It got taken off in front of Harry in private, and MJ saw him during that second example.

So MJ and Harry are the only people who really know for more than 10 minutes. Aside from the people on the train who dont even know him anyways.

So what?
Batman takes his mask off too just to let you know. Movie wise, he's let just as many people in on his identity, whether they live to tell about it or not.dude, they are CLEARLY just making excuses to take his mask off.

And no, he does not take his mask off in a public in the comics that often at all. You are dead wrong.

Every villians has found out his idenity so far. Everyone. Every single one.

Plus dozens of randoms.

Some secrete.

Better Than You
05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
But again, I've came to see spiderman. I want to see spiderman. Not tobey mguire.

http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co.uk/photos_posters/spiderman_photo_calendar.jpg

That guy.

Not this piece of shit:

http://www.cinema.com/image_lib/news_tobeymaguire2_thumb.jpg

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Yea, well you're right about wanting to see Spiderman. But since it's a movie and a story about Peter Parker/Spiderman, you're gonna see plenty of Parker. When Spidey is Spidey, he wears the mask and he does plenty of it. He has the mask on in all the fights. Your complaints about Spidey not showing up in the suit enough seem unfounded. Hes in action as Spidey more in this one than any of the others, and if you wanted 2 hours of Spiderman fights with no time to explore his character or Parker, then you're not expecting a movie, just one prolounged action sequence.

You say you were irked because it took time to see him dawn the mask as Spidey. From what I remember, he was Spiderman in the first shot of the movie, and then was in the suit and fighting within 15 minutes.

The Gwen Stacy Rescue
The Ceremony/Bank Robbery Sequence
The Black suit acquisition
The second Marko fight
The final battle

Of course his first fight was in street clothes, but he was Spiderman. This happens. It was a suprise attack.

Did you have a problem with the first or second movie? Because he wasn't in the suit nearly as much in those. I guess deal with it, I don't know what to tell you but expecting him to be in action and in the suit all the time is expecting too much, and would result in the movie being complete garbage.

P.S., He spends more time as Spiderman in the movie than Bruce spends as Batman in any of his.

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 05:35 PM
dude, they are CLEARLY just making excuses to take his mask off.

And no, he does not take his mask off in a public in the comics that often at all. You are dead wrong.

Every villians has found out his idenity so far. Everyone. Every single one.

Plus dozens of randoms.

Some secrete.

Okay, but you used Batman as your example. Everyone of Batmans villians found out. And dozens of randoms? You're referring to one scene. Don't use that to pull wool over peoples eyes as if there's dozens of cases when it's only one. And he doesn't take it off in public. Taking it off for a second while on the top off a church at night isn't neccesarily public. He doesn't just take the fuckin thing off in the streets. He was unmasked on the train, get over it. It happened in the comics which you seem to maintain it never did.
Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Harry and MJ have found out. Check out your comic storylines which I seem to not know.
Aunt Mae doesn't even know.

No randoms have found out besides that scene, which you clearly missed the importance of.
I doubt they're making excuses to take his mask off, as if it were some hidden agenda.

I'm dead wrong that he takes it off in the comics...okay, Well, he does man. I showed you the instance where Doc Ock unmasks him in front of random people. He takes it off when he's alone, he has had it taken off during fights OFTEN.

El Vaquero de Infierno
05-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I saw it today, and I liked it. I wasn't expecting anything deep or meaningful, just a no-brainer, action film that would keep me entertained whilst outside it was pouring it down. The whole saturday night fever scenes were a bit painful, but the action scenes delivered.

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 05:36 PM
And no, he does not take his mask off in a public in the comics that often at all. You are dead wrong..

He doesn't in the movies EITHER! You're imagining things because you don't like seeing him with his mask off in down scenes or in private or whatever. If you can name two or three cases of him taking his mask off in public in all 3 movies be my guest.

Kane Knight
05-11-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm dead wrong that he takes it off in the comics...okay, Well, he does man. I showed you the instance where Doc Ock unmasks him in front of random people. He takes it off when he's alone, he has had it taken off during fights OFTEN.

I wouldn't say often, but enough. He's also taken it off several times after fights. He's been tear gassed, slimed, and webbed into situations where his mask had to come off.

He's unmasked himself intentionally before, though he was sick.

He's been unmasked a couple of times in public, and even had to create a webmask a couple of times. And let's not forget the FF Costume...

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I just see it as a complaint of something that isn't a flaw. Not liking it is fine, but it shouldn't be considered a fault when it isn't one.

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't say often, but enough. He's also taken it off several times after fights. He's been tear gassed, slimed, and webbed into situations where his mask had to come off.

Yea, similar to how his mask was burnt and he was blinded while on the train. The severity of the situation outweighed personal concern. Very similar to those instances. Then of course you have Venom who ripped it off in an effort to humiliate and expose him, but he got it back soon after.
Other than that he's never been unmasked, intentionally or by accident in public.
In spiderman 1 he had in impromptu rescue with street thugs, which he scurried away from to put his mask on before facing MJ.

Other than that, I can't think of any instances where he's been in public with the mask off, unless of course you count him chillin on a rooftop momentarily.

Kane Knight
05-11-2007, 09:51 PM
The train scene was one of my favorite parts of Spider-Man 2. Mostly because it's something Superman would do without a second thought, but Spider-Man knew he was in over his head, and it literally stretched him to the limits.

There are a lot of little thnigs you can nitpick, though, so I mean, this is a pretty small one. I mean:

Raimi thought it stretched imagination to have Spider-Man come up with web shooters due to cost and practicality, but he can afford expensive fabrics and Special lenses that don't impair visibility and fold like cloth?

Spider-Man no longer uses magical crazy glue, but those little tiny fibers can make his shoes stick to walls?

Why even bother bringing in Gwen this late in the game?

Why doesn't Sandman's locket disintegrate, and why can he hold onto it?

What the fuck were they thinking with Green Goblin's "Do the Dew" look? Okay, I know Harry technically wasn't the Goblin, but...

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 10:10 PM
I agree with all those things, they're ridiculous but I kinda just let them go.
Although I agree with bringing Gwen in as a tool to put stress on the Parker/MJ relationship, and add some gravity to Brock's hate for Parker in addition to just the job.
Plus she looked amazing.

Jon Kano
05-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Its not too late to bring her in if they are going to continue the franchise, which is most likely.

Jeritron
05-11-2007, 10:11 PM
The train scene was one of my favorite parts of Spider-Man 2. Mostly because it's something Superman would do without a second thought, but Spider-Man knew he was in over his head, and it literally stretched him to the limits.

:yes: Loved that

Jon Kano
05-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Just seen it. Not going to go into too much detail as to why, because frankly I'm fucking heartbroken. It was shit.....werent it, lets just admit it, it was fucking shit.

I had dreamed a dream....and now that dream has left me.

Kane Knight
05-20-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm lost as to why you thought it sucked.

DaBrasko
05-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Also keep in mind that fanboys will never be happy with any comicbook movie. There is always too much to explain for the basic person who doesnt know anything about the comics so ofcourse the director will have to "alter" things about the basic story of the character.

G
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
this movie was fucking great. i just watched it on a bootleg, okay quality, dark picture, and still throught it was awesome.

Kalyx triaD
05-22-2007, 02:09 AM
I was about 6-7 years old when I stood behind a kid in line at WJ Bryan Ele. as we all headed in for class after 'play-time' (get us too fatigued to run-amok in class). I saw on the back of the boy's shirt a character fully covered in a red and blue costume decorated with a spider-web design. It was there I emulated that odd hand gesture of his that shot out webbing at the viewer. Years later I'd catch a cartoon of Spider-Man and saw him in action for the first time; he sticks to walls and swings on web around sky-scrapers... He was the greatest thing I've ever seen at the time. I would be 11yo when I first read a single Spidey comic (a redux of his origin story, rightfully) and along with the rest of us a teenager when Fox Kids dropped the Spider-Man animated series for their (perfect) Saturday morning block. Even back then the powers-that-be were trying their damndest to get Spidey a big screen adaptation. I waited forever to see Peter Parker realized on screen, wondering if it'll ever happen in my lifetime. A few weeks ago the third of the film series dropped; to date I've seen it twice. At 24yo, I'm reminded of everything Spidey was to me as a child. And for the third time in a theater, atleast spiritually, I was standing behind that boy with the Spidey t-shirt all over again.

Tale of the Tape:
You know what's makes something as ambitious as a trilogy work? Consistency: consistent actors, consistent style, consistent continuity, and most importantly a consistent director. These factors MAKES or BREAKS a film series; and a lot of the time some trilogies can't hang. Some trilogies are motivated by post-release success; The Matrix and Pirates were obvious one-shots that got 'trilogized'. Other trilogies are planned from the start, to varying degrees of success; X-Men and Spy-Kids come to mind. What makes the Spider-Man film series the 'point of study' for anyone wanting to do a film trilogy (it's impact on the comic-film genre will be discussed later) is it's consistency despite acceptable reasons for something less. Tobey M. suffered a back injury between SP1 and 2, two full years were between each feature, other film series suffered from far less factors. Somehow, well I'll tell you how, Spider-Man 3 manages to continue the track of consistency while being far and away better than it's previous efforts. This is how you do a trilogy, kids. Georgy Lu and his 2nd Star Wars trilogy got nothing on what Sam Raimi managed to execute in nearly half the time.

The Stories So far:
Spidey 3 opens with clips of the last two movie's important events. You may remember Spidey 2 opened with a similar sequence except we were recapped with still shots painted by Alex Ross (look him up). Note that this is a Marvel stable whether intended by Raimi or not to recap readers on what went down up until the current point of the story.
What we're reminded of is boy-nerd Peter Parker getting bit by a scientifically altered spider (a red-n-blue one at that) thus being able to "Do whatever a spider can". He uses his new-found powers for personal gain and enters a strongman contest to win enough money to impress high school cutie Mary-Jane Watson. He gets hustled into winning very little money and he's pissed enough to let a thief have his way with the promoter (a thief who wasn't so alone after all). In a life changing lesson Peter's uncle, Ben Parker, dies due to Pete's apathy. Peter becomes a super-hero and battles his best friend's crazy daddy Norman Osborne/Green Goblin. Gobby kills himself and his son blames Spider-Man. Eventually Peter wins the heart of MJ, as he battles Doctor Octopus who thinks it's smart to create a miniature star in New York. Getting a reformed Doc Oct to save New York at the expense of his own life, MJ finds out who Spider-Man really is. The two begin a relationship as angst ridden Harry Osborne finds his father's Goblin gear. That's two movies in a nutshell, you want details go to your local Blockbuster Video.
Now Peter is a hero to all of New York. He's adored while MJ is suffering a career downfall putting her in the shadow of Pete's stardom. Despite this, Peter feels it's time to take the relationship to a higher level. Unfortunately, Harry takes his feelings to a new level as well when he goes after Peter/Spidey as the New Goblin (not Hob-Goblin). After an airborne battle, Harry suffers a knock to the head that causes short term amnesia, which pretty much reverts him back into Spider-Man 1 Harry. Oh yeah, Gwen Stacy and Eddie Brock are introduced in a wild crane scene. While Peter and Harry pick up their friendship again, new development comes of Uncle Ben's murder; Flint Marko becomes the new prime suspect. Peter's thirst for revenge makes him obsessed with any news his police-radio can pick up on Marko.
Going to sleep in-costume, Peter is emotionally and physically vulnerable to the Symbiote, a living alien substance that attaches itself to Peter. In a scene straight from the Fox Kids 'toon, Peter awakens hanging on the side of a building in new black duds, seemingly stronger. This is essentially when the movie really begins.

Spider-Plots:
There are as many as four different plots going on in the film varying in screen-time and importance. They all tie in together in a third act that manages to have every major player of the trilogy in one place (even Daily Bugle boss JJ). Seeing the movie bob in and out of comic-nonsense and down-to-earth emotions is an art all future comic-films should note. On one hand we have the parallel MJ-Peter/Gwen, Peter-Eddie/Work plots; and on the other we got hover boards and alien costumes. Being able to follow each plot with their different levels of believability is a credit to Raimi. And unlike X3's sub-plots, they don't get lost in fan-service.

Peter/Mary-Jane:
That last shot in Spidey 2 gives a sense of what their relationship becomes in this movie. It's about as close to a real relationship involving a superhero as I can imagine in the real world. Harry factoring in the plot adds the right touch that should have been used in the second movie as well (instead of that plot device, Man-Wolf). Their break-up was a reasonable conclusion considering Peter was being a prick to her even before the suit's influence. It also adds so much more weight to Peter's line in the first movie about why Spider-Man shouldn't have close ties in the first place. Gwen Stacy only ever meets MJ once, but her presence was enough to drive the couple apart even more. Then there's the Spidey-kiss which I feel was abit forced. It cheapens the moment from the first movie, which I suppose was the point that we feel MJ's disappointment. Though I don't think Raimi is that good a director.

Aunt May:
May's ability to say exactly what Peter needs to hear is uncanny, isn't it? When Spidey goes up against the Lizard she'll give him a speech about how reptiles can be overcome with love. I do appreciate her appearance even still.

Sandman:
I must say that his origin scene is one of the best I've ever seen in a super-hero film. One second you're reaching out with him as he tries to grip that pendant, then his theme plays and it's like, "Remember people; bad-guy." I could almost root for him with his plot in mind, but the odd reversal of priorities is daunting. He goes from a point of Peter's wrath to backseat villain when Venom arrives for his 15 minutes of fame. It's funny because Eddie goes from background character to public enemy number 1 by film's end, most likely orchestrating the entire third act. Seeing Sandman work, like Doc Oct, is like watching absurd wonder before your eyes. Here's this guy made of sand, complete with sand-fists and sand-giant forms, played with such depth. More depth than he really needed. Such attention to a character's background could've been given to Venom, who I will get to in a sec, but at the film's ending you see the pieced fall in place. We should all hate the killer of Ben Parker, but Raimi goes out of his way to protect Marko. If we've done something wrong, something terrible that inadvertently changed someone's life and then faced that person: what then? What do you say and how do you say it? Peter and Flint's exchanges at the end of the film make for a better lesson in the illogical super-human ability to forgive than some church services. And since living with hard decisions seem to be a running theme in the trilogy, it fits as Peter/Spidey's emotional climax as an individual. It's also a lesson in getting the whole story before you break a guy's wrist and kick him out of a window.

"I like being bad, it makes me happy.":
I love the concept of Venom. I'm not as big a fan of Venom as Agent M but I do adore a good doppelganger, an evil version of a hero. Wolverine/Sabretooth; love it. That's what Venom is to me, this horrible version of Spider-Man. Raimi paints him the way I always thought of him, which is why I love his design. But the problem is Raimi never wanted to add Venom to the franchise and you can tell. His screen time is criminal, made worse by the fact that whenever Eddie/Venom is on screen things are freaking awesome. That 70's Guy works as an alternate Peter Parker, when he's on screen. Venom looks and moves awesome, when he's on screen. And after some awesome spider vs. spider scenes, he gets blown away in an ambiguous send-off. I suppose giving Venom a flashy mysterious death is all the respect Raimi can conjure for Venom fans. Keep in mind Raimi has no love for Venom, and we can't expect much when his arm had to be twisted to include the character.

New Goblin, Spidey/Goblin Team-Up:
This is Harry's movie. This is, character and actor wise, the part of the series where he gets his due. From his super-hero introduction ("You knew this was coming, Pete!"), lost memory scenes ("Bonk."), heel-turn scenes ("I protected you in high school now I'll kick your little ass."), to his final redemption ("We're friends..."); Goblin Jr. is my favorite character in the movie. His journey was as rich as Peter's, flawed only with a much too convenient face-turn involving some of the expositoriest monologues in any comic-film. Still, there was something special about the Spidey/Goblin team-up that's almost tear inducing when you think back to the two pal's high school beginnings. Now Harry's launching Peter into Venom and fending off a giant Sandman with a flame-throwing hover board. If this wasn't a comic movie you'd find this associative conclusion pretty silly. Even if it was obvious, the tag team climax was satisfying on so many levels to me. The Harry/Peter plot concluded in such a way that improves on its source material, something future comic-film makers should think about.

Conclusionals:
This is a far better movie in general than it is a comic-movie. Raimi managed to conclude a three act tale of responsibility, revenge, and redemption. It was fun, it was thoughtful, and it was a great movie and example of superior adaptation. And seeing Spidey actually swing around on his web-rope and sticking to walls in live-action for a third time, may not amaze as it once did. But seeing a fun, well directed, dance number (?) sporting, super-hero team-up feature; that makes me a little boy looking at something great again. I wonder if the kid with the shirt feels the same way today.

Team Sheep
05-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Saw it yesterday.

The Peter "heel turn" had me giggling so loudly. Felt so gay in the cinema lol, nobody else found it funny.

Loved it though :y)

Savio
05-26-2007, 06:22 PM
I was disapointed. Venom was a waste and shouldn't have been broughten in until the next movie so he could be developed more. Besides the first fight scene none were really that great
. I think the movie should have been reconstructed for only 2 villians

Mr Regal
05-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Saw it yesterday.

The Peter "heel turn" had me giggling so loudly. Felt so gay in the cinema lol, nobody else found it funny.

Loved it though :y)

That was the worst part of the movie for me (and everyone of my friends too)

So embarrasing. I also hated the jazz bar scene. Fucking hideous.

Jeritron
05-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh come on. How is that embarassing? If you thought it was stupid, then fine but embarassing?

I'm not afraid to admit that was one of my favorite parts of the 3 movies. Yea I said it. I don't give a fuck. I loved it just like I loved the "raindrops keep fallin on my head" sequence. I love good movies and I like things to be taken seriously, but I'm at a Spider-Man movie in the month of May, so I don't mind having a little lighthearted fun.

Kane Knight
05-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Oh come on. How is that embarassing? If you thought it was stupid, then fine but embarassing?

I'm not afraid to admit that was one of my favorite parts of the 3 movies. Yea I said it. I don't give a fuck. I loved it just like I loved the "raindrops keep fallin on my head" sequence. I love good movies and I like things to be taken seriously, but I'm at a Spider-Man movie in the month of May, so I don't mind having a little lighthearted fun.

I don't get the embarrassing bit, either. Who the fuck gets embarrassed by movies? I mean, the only people who should are the people who wrote, acted, directed, etc. IF ANYONE.

Anyway, the scene was kinda lame, but if a nerd goes evil, he's still a nerd. That shit made sense. I didn't like it, but people are WAY overreacting.

Kalyx triaD
05-27-2007, 03:07 AM
LOL

"Evil nerd"

SammyG
05-27-2007, 03:22 AM
I liked it, saw it last night. I rofled @ emo spiderman though. Peter Parker looking emo when he was Symbiote Spiderman was hilarious.. Overall, very good movie in my opinion. as good as you can make a movie based off a comic book.

Team Sheep
05-27-2007, 03:59 AM
I'm not familiar with the comics whatsoever so I can't really compare or whatever, so it was awesome for me. If I did actually know how the real Spiderman comic storyline goes then I might be a little annoyed. But I din't so that's great :D

Sephiroth
05-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Yeah, it was kinda comic like, i only thought Topher Grace wasn't the right person for Brock/Venom, in the comics Brock/Venom were kinda buffed, like almost twice the size of Parker/Spiderman.

SPOILER:
And the ending with Venom dieng, come on!

I hope we'll still see Venom in upcoming spidey movies,though, i love the personage of Venom. Pitty that Ramsey doesn't like the Venom character.

Anyway, overall it was a good movie imo.

Kane Knight
05-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah, it was kinda comic like, i only thought Topher Grace wasn't the right person for Brock/Venom, in the comics Brock/Venom were kinda buffed, like almost twice the size of Parker/Spiderman.

SPOILER:
And the ending with Venom dieng, come on!

I hope we'll still see Venom in upcoming spidey movies,though, i love the personage of Venom. Pitty that Ramsey doesn't like the Venom character.

Anyway, overall it was a good movie imo.

Brock wasn't always a huge guy, even in the comics. He discovered that the symbiote buffed his own strength, so he bulked up. Later versions of Venom were hulking, but he wasn't always that way.

Oh, and Spoluers: Venom's probably not dead.

Kalyx triaD
05-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Eddie clearly jumped out of the way, maybe injured. He'll return when he's fully healed in time to star in his own movie with Carnage as a villain.

Jeritron
05-27-2007, 02:38 PM
1) He didn't clearly jump out of the way. As a matter of fact, he clearly got disintegrated into a skeleton.

2) When he's healed he'll star in his own movie? So the movie will go into production once the real life Eddie Brock/Venom is healed up and ready to swing around and star in his own movie?

Kane Knight
05-27-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't think it's particularly clear that he got disintegrated.

By the way, if you're turned into a skeleton, you're not disintegrated.

Sorry to nitpick.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear he survived through the power of Dramatic Editing. By the same merit that we don't have to wait for the real-life Eddie Brock to heal, we don't assume the villain in a comic movie is dead, just because we saw an explosion and a cartoon skeleton.

Jeritron
05-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Perhaps he's alive. I don't doubt it for a second. It's just that he said he was clearly out of the way of the explosion and maybe injured.

I just figured him getting turned into a skeleton was similar to the people in Spidey1 who get pumpkin bombed and turn into skeletons momentarily before fully disintegrating. After all, it was a pumpkin bomb and a quick glance of a skeleton in both cases. And it's not like a skeleton was left behind. Sorry to nitpick the nitpick haha

Kane Knight
05-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Didn't Harry turn all Skeleton-y too, though? And walk off with only an unhappy face? My memory's a bit wonky on the scene, so maybe I'm wrong.