PDA

View Full Version : List bands that were crap, but became very good.

darkpower
05-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Sorry, Naitch, but I had to do this to put something in contrast to your thread of this.

So, to contrast what Naitch had posted, I'm wondering, if many bands turned to crap when they were very good, who were bands that we all thought sucked ass at first became KICK ass after a few records, or over time? In other words, who you think matured the way they SHOULD'VE?

ct2k
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Slayer, first album was mostly terrible quite frankly. The next EP was like, amazingly improved, Hell Awaits was decent but a little ott, Reign in Blood is the best metal album ever. Obviously they never hit those heights again but Seasons in the Abyss was prety brilliant, and South of Heaven and Divine Intervention were both pretty decent. Didn't care for Diabolous or God Hates us All generally, although GHUA had a few good tracks, not heard anything from the latest album.

Mr Regal
05-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Take That

Kane Knight
05-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Extreme.

I won't lie. Hair Metal sucks. III Sides and Punchline are awesome records, though. Big Hair and all.

Gatja has gone from decent to GREAT, and with a little better production, could be PHENOMENAL.

Dropkick Murphys weren't exactly crap, but....

Just John
05-03-2007, 01:20 PM
I was gonna say Dropkick Murphys, I dont think they were crap, but their albums have just got progressively better

FakeLaser
05-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Brand New. Not that I didn't like their first album, but come on, it's crazy how they progressed. If I heard Your Favorite Weapon now for the first time, I would probably hate it, though it was great when I was like 15 or 16, and though it was pretty much cookie cutter pop punk, they somehow seemed to be a cut above the rest. They get better with every album.

Blitz
05-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Brand New. Not that I didn't like their first album, but come on, it's crazy how they progressed. If I heard Your Favorite Weapon now for the first time, I would probably hate it, though it was great when I was like 15 or 16, and though it was pretty much cookie cutter pop punk, they somehow seemed to be a cut above the rest. They get better with every album.
Word.

AdrianM
05-03-2007, 02:07 PM
eskimo joe

heck, even the beatles, not that they were crap, it was just a different era. By by 1967 they were doing awesome stuff like revolver and sgt peppers

Danny Electric
05-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Brand New rule on every album :)

Penner
05-04-2007, 01:25 AM
Yeah what the fuck are you guys talking about.

Every Brand New album is amazing. Every one.

Silent
05-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Finch. I didn't listen to them for a couple years, but I popped both albums and their 2nd release was way better I thought. I didn't like it when it came out but it's grown on me.

FakeLaser
05-04-2007, 01:40 AM

Your Favorite Weapon is a piece of shit compared to Deja and The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me.

MVP
05-04-2007, 01:44 AM
I'll have to disagree as well. I can't say I prefer one Brand New album over the other cause they're all incredible.

Death Cab for Cutie has gotten progressively better since every album release. Something About Airplanes just doesn't quite compare with Transatlanticism or Plans.

FakeLaser
05-04-2007, 01:46 AM
I don't know, I like pretty much all of Death Cab's releases. Photo Album is the shit.

FakeLaser
05-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Also, Gibbard's pre-Death Cab stuff (All-Time Quarterback) is incredible.

ct2k
05-04-2007, 07:14 AM
RHCP at first were pretty meh, listenable but meh. Second album and third album were improved a lot but still some duff tracks, obviously they hit their peak in a lot of ways on BSSM, and I think One Hot Minute is quality too, I prefer it actually, mainly cos Dave Navarro > Frusciante. Californication was good until like track 7, then it was pretty much filler, since then...:-\

Kane Knight
05-04-2007, 10:29 AM
RHCP at first were pretty California, listenable California meh. Second California and third album California improved a California but still California duff tracks, obviously California hit their peak in California lot of ways on California , and I think One California Minute is quality too, California it actually, mainly cos Dave Navarro > California . Californication was good until like track 7, then it was California much filler, since then...:-\

Blitz
05-07-2007, 12:49 AM

Your Favorite Weapon is a good album, but the step up in quality between it and Deja and Devil and God is astonishing.

Kane Knight
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I still laugh at DP's premise.