PDA

View Full Version : Pulp Fiction

Tidus
02-22-2004, 10:43 PM
You know that case that Jules has at the end that glows when he opens it. What do you guys think is actually in it?

I've heard thoeries that its Marcellus Wallaces soul. Supposedly when souls escape, they escape through the back of your neck. That explains Macellus's band-aid.

Weird.

Triple A
02-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Tarantino said that he doesn't even know, I think. He didn't know what to put in it.

Kris P Lettus
02-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Tarantino said that he doesn't even know, I think. He didn't know what to put in it.

Yer..

I always thought the soul idea was good though... Makes sense...

el fregadero
02-22-2004, 11:03 PM
<font color=teal>Gold.</font> :-\

MrMeJW
02-22-2004, 11:15 PM
I've heard theories that its Wallace's soul, gold, or Elvis' jacket from True Romance

Watson
02-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Yer..

I always thought the soul idea was good though... Makes sense...

Ditto. It makes sense because Marsellus Wallace has a band-aid on the back of his head and folklore has said that when the Devil takes someone's soul he takes it from the back of the neck/head.

HeartBreakMan2k
02-22-2004, 11:33 PM
On a somewhat related note, the movie just went of and incredible.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Not even the Devil can fuc</>k with Wallace.

The Mackem
02-23-2004, 08:56 AM
I always thought it was gold. I don't understand why Tim Roth's character would say "Is that what I think it is" if it was Wallace's soul.

da_king
02-23-2004, 09:10 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">
it's probably better they didn't reveal what it was, better to use your imagination then to be disapointed or not have expectations met.

</font>

MrMeJW
02-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Ditto. It makes sense because Marsellus Wallace has a band-aid on the back of his head and folklore has said that when the Devil takes someone's soul he takes it from the back of the neck/head.
Also the combo for the lock on the case is 666

The Mackem
02-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Wait a minute added onto my previous post, why would Vincent have such a hard time believe in divine intervention if he just looked in a suitcase with somebody's soul in it?

Shake
02-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Since this thread inspired me to watch the DVD again, I thought I'd type up the word straight from the DVD's trivia track:

Some feel that the briefcase is a "McGuffin." Hitchcock coined the term "McGuffin" to refer to a red herring that misleads the audience. It's usually a prop or other physical item that seems to motivate the characters, but ultimately means little or nothing to the story.
Fans of Pulp Fiction weren't so willing to accept this convenient answer and have spent a lot of time proposing what Marsellus Wallace's "dirty laundry" really is. One suggestion is that it contains the diamonds that were stolen in Quentin's film Reservoir Dogs. Another suggestion is that the briefcase contains the gold Elvis suit worn by Val Kilmer in the Quentin-scripted movie True Romance.
A popular hypothesis is that the briefcase contains the soul of Marsellus. Legend has it that when the devil steals your soul, he takes it out through the back of your head. Since Marcellus is seen with a Band-Aid on the back of his head, this means his soul has been stolen and is now in the briefcase. This theory is further supported when Jules and Vincent experience "Divine Intervention" (or maybe not-so-divine intervention) in getting the briefcase back. Additional proof is that the combination of the case is "666", considered to be the sign of the devil.
Another speculation is that the briefcase contains a bunch of solid gold bricks. This would make sense of Pumpkin's reaction ("Is that what I think it is?" and "It's beautiful"). Some film fans think the case contains some of the mysterious stash from the movie Repo Man. The climax of that film involves the repossession of a Chevy Malibu with top-secret glowing cargo in the trunk. Some say it's an Oscar statue. They weight only about eight pounds, making it easy to carry in a briefcase. This would also connect with Pumpkin's reaction. Another speculation on the contents of the briefcase is that it was a homage to Robert Aldrich's great pulp thriller Kiss Me Deadly, which includes a hijacked briefcase full of nuclear material.

Jon Kano
02-23-2004, 02:26 PM
<font color="silver" face="Verdana">
After endless ideas and opinions from friends at house partys, smoke sessions and trips to the pub, I also came to the conclusion the contents was his soul; the "glowing" effect, the band-aid and the combination. But at
the end of the day, its all flawed.

The band-aid is said to be there because Ving Rhames had a scar there and without the band-aid the mise-en-scene looked tacky or something. (imdb)

And do we actually see the "666" code used or mentioned? I dont think so. I havent seen the film for a while, so I could be mistaken.

I have to disagree with the idea of it being gold. Just because Ringo says "Is that what I think it is?" "Its beautiful..." I dont think a crook of his caliber would be that stunned by gold.

Its just a red herring to keep us guessing.

Jon Kano
02-23-2004, 02:26 PM
After endless ideas and opinions from friends at house partys, smoke sessions and trips to the pub, I also came to the conclusion the contents was his soul; the "glowing" effect, the band-aid and the combination. But at
the end of the day, its all flawed.

The band-aid is said to be there because Ving Rhames had a scar there and without the band-aid the mise-en-scene looked tacky or something. (imdb)

And do we actually see the "666" code used or mentioned? I dont think so. I havent seen the film for a while, so I could be mistaken.

I have to disagree with the idea of it being gold. Just because Ringo says "Is that what I think it is?" "Its beautiful..." I dont think a crook of his caliber would be that stunned by gold.

Its just a red herring to keep us guessing.

BRING ON THE PRODUCTION OF "THE VEGA BROTHERS" !!!!!

Smitty
02-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Yeah the band-aid is because of the scar on Ving Rhames' neck, they mention it in one of the featurettes/documentaries on the DVD. The glow I think is just to exagerate the riches that Jules and Vince just acquired. My guess is gold. I doubt it could be the diamonds from Reservoir Dogs, because Mr. Pink got caught, and the diamonds confiscated (well probably) It's a cool idea though.

The Mackem
02-23-2004, 04:27 PM

A guy who was, until the restaurant, robbing Gas Stations?

el fregadero
02-23-2004, 04:33 PM
<font color=teal>Pure gold would be quite the spectacle.</font>

Jon Kano
02-23-2004, 07:25 PM
A guy who was, until the restaurant, robbing Gas Stations?

Dude, thats makes no difference.

At some point doesnt he or another character say, "Its better than money", which usually suggest its another form of wealth. And due to the enigma surrounding the contents anyway, gold wouldnt seem like the answer.

He is in awe of what he can see. Alls I am saying is that I doubt it is gold.

The Mackem
02-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah gold's better than money, cos, well it is! ;)

Vega
02-24-2004, 02:44 AM
It's heroin. My family had this discussion and my uncle (who loves that movie) said it was heroin followed by a bunch of logic I didn't pay attention to, except something about heroin addicts treating heroin that way and seeing it as gold.

Jon Kano
02-24-2004, 11:21 AM
Im inclined to agree with Vega.

Lance himself said, "Coke is ****in dead as dead. Heroin is comin back in a big ****in way." - something like that.

Or was it Heroin is dead and coke is coming back? - Which if that is the case, I dont agree with Vega. :lol:

The Mackem
02-24-2004, 01:46 PM
As long as we dismiss the soul theory, I don't care.

I still think it's gold though :D

mitch_h
02-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Tarantino and Madsen said at a Comic Convention that it can be whatever you want it to be. So it is up to the audience to decide what is in the briefcase

The Mackem
02-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks Mitch, I knew you'd come good :y:

mitch_h
02-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks Mitch, I knew you'd come good :y:

I can't tell if you are being facetious :$

But here is what Tarantino has said about the briefcae conspiracy.

"Q: I asked Michael this question yesterday and he told me to ask you, so here it is: what’s in the briefcase in PULP FICTION?

Quentin: (audience laughs and applauds) Yeah, let’s get that one out of the way right now. It’s what YOU THINK is in the briefcase. I mean, most of you have some sort of theory about it, right? What do you think is in the briefcase?

Q: A yellow light?

Quentin: Yeah, exactly…it’s a white light with a golden tint over it… But like I said, it’s really whatever you think it is. If you think it’s a light, that’s cool. I don’t want to tell you what I think because it would affect what you think of it. Also, if I wanted to let you know…I’d have told you in the first place! I’m more about what YOU think...not what I think."

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=2103

What Would Kevin Do?
02-24-2004, 03:12 PM
It's Tarantinos soul... Think about it, he sold it to the Devil so he could write good dialouge. Obvisouly he found some loophole to get his soul back however, and that explains the shitty dialouge in Kill Bill

Jon Kano
02-24-2004, 04:13 PM
As long as we dismiss the soul theory, I don't care.
Dude, why be like that? - Its a valid and backed-up theory, not a crazy and pathetic theory.

You make it sound its in the same rankings as Sunderland actually playing a game of proper footie. :D

Bo
02-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Yeah when I first watched it I thought of Resivoir Dogs till the whole glow thing happened

loopydate
02-25-2004, 05:51 PM
The thing that really effs with almost every theory about the briefcase's contents is the fact that, in the original script, the briefcase didn't glow. If I remember right, the studio asked him to add the glow to make the contents seem more important. This leads me to believe that the original idea (if he even had one) was NOT gold, diamonds, or a soul. Nothing that would emanate or reflect light.

The Mackem
02-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Rare comics?

The Mackem
02-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Dude, why be like that? - Its a valid and backed-up theory, not a crazy and pathetic theory.

You make it sound its in the same rankings as Sunderland actually playing a game of proper footie. :D

Sunderland 2 Birmingham City 0

I think we got the hang of it tonight. :cool:

Watson
02-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Also the combo for the lock on the case is 666

oh yeah, I forgot about that.

HeartBreakMan2k
02-25-2004, 09:08 PM
<font color="silver" face="Verdana">And do we actually see the "666" code used or mentioned? I dont think so. I havent seen the film for a while, so I could be mistaken.

Yeah, we see it when Vincent first opens the case. :y:

Oh, and I think it's gold, I'd love for it to be a soul but I still think it's gold.

Also, King is right, it's best that Tarantino never had a definent idea. Even if he did it's best he never told, just would lead to people be dissapointed or confused.