PDA

View Full Version : Denver to Possibly Trade Portis for Bailey

FearedSanctity
02-23-2004, 05:33 PM
DENVER -- The Denver Broncos are discussing a trade that would send running back Clinton Portis to the Washington Redskins for cornerback Champ Bailey, a swap of two Pro Bowlers upset with their contracts, a source said Monday.

In giving up Portis for Bailey, Denver also would receive Washington's second-round selection in the April draft, the NFL source told the Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Vinny Cerrato, Washington's player personnel director, said at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis: "We are talking to a number of teams and Denver is one of the teams." He wouldn't name the players.

The negotiations were first reported in the Denver Post.

The Redskins have protected Bailey, who can become a free agent on March 3, by designating him their franchise player. That means the Redskins must make him a one-year, $6.8 million tender, the average of the top five players at his position.

Portis has two years remaining on the contract he signed as a second-round draft pick in 2002. Displeased with the $300,000 he made last season, he has hinted he might be a holdout when training camp starts unless the Broncos rework his deal.

The deal would make sense because the Redskins went last season without an every-down running back, a must in the offensive system favored by new coach Joe Gibbs. Portis ran for 1,591 yards last year despite missing three games with chest and ankle injuries.

Portis' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, declined comment and the Broncos did not return a call seeking comment.

-Sportsline.com

Bad Guy
02-23-2004, 05:38 PM
offseason thread :roll: but you are new i'll cut you some slack, kid.

BCWWF
02-23-2004, 06:53 PM
I was just going to make mention to this in my "Is it just me" thread. Its kind of ironic.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-23-2004, 10:18 PM
This is a good trade for Denver..they got Griffin from Oklahoma U who can be a good back in the NFL...they can ship off Portis and get a good CB in return (plus a 2nd rounder)

Shawn
02-23-2004, 11:11 PM
This is a horrible trade for Denver. Portis is one of the elite rb's in the league. This guy is gunna be one of the greatest when his career is over. Champ Bailey is good CB. He's not Amazing. Plus Denver could pick up a solid CB in the draft. ALso Griffith is a hype. He ran great against the Colts. Now he can join the ****ing club. Everyone runs great against the colts. Denver will regret this. I guess Shanahan thinks he's gunna be a genious. He'll lose his job next year if this trade happens cause Denver will be shit.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-23-2004, 11:17 PM
Its a top 5 CB and a 2nd rounder in an extremely deep draft

Denver is getting a great deal because they can mold a new RB and not have to pay Portis a superstar salary

Jesus Shuttlesworth
02-23-2004, 11:31 PM
I don't agree with you at all Shawn..I think this trade is great for both teams (although that 2nd round draft choice kind of gives the edge to the Broncos)

Did you see Griffin (or whatever that scrubby looking guy from Oklahoma's name is) run all over the place? Denver just produces 1,000+ yard rushers every year...it doens't really matter who it is they just do it.

Crimson
02-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Well when I first read about this I was like WTF is Denver thinking. But now sittin back and thinking, I agree with Stimz. Denver has Griffin and Anderson, and they will get a shutdown corner pretty much with Champ, and they can add to their defense or get one of the many talented recievers in the draft. Helps out both teams.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Griffin and Anderson can be like Alstott and Dunn in Tampa were

badass blocking back who can carry the ball too plus a fast little guy who can run past linebackers

MoRcHeEbA
02-24-2004, 03:20 AM
I saw on tv tonight that mike anderson wants a release from denver now... I was like :wtf:

The Outlaw
02-24-2004, 01:15 PM
I'd be pissed if I was Clinton as well.

FearedSanctity
02-24-2004, 08:51 PM
I saw on tv tonight that mike anderson wants a release from denver now... I was like :wtf:
Yep, Anderson wants his release from Denver because they want to cut his salary in half from about $1.6 mil to whatever is half of that

loopydate
02-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Good deal for Denver if it's true. As has been said, Denver can make anyone a 1,000-yard back (they've had, what, five of them in the last six or seven years), so losing Portis won't be as bad as people are making it out to be. Bailey's a damn good DB, and he would be a nice fit in Denver.