PDA

View Full Version : Name an obscure band/album that you love.

Arnold HamNegger
05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
One of my favorites is "New Killer America" by Skrape. I saw these guys open for Pantera years ago and could have sworn that they were going to be huge. I've been listening to the CD again alot lately and it blows my mind that their follow up album "Up the Dose" turned out to be a complete steaming pile of generic sounding dog shit. I think they've since broken up. Oh well, this CD still kicks ass IMO though.

FakeLaser
05-23-2007, 05:28 PM
A lot of the stuff I listen to is pretty obscure.

Arnold HamNegger
05-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Give me an example. I'm trying to broaden my horizon's.

el fregadero
05-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right to Children

Rob
05-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Snake River Conspiracy
Flict
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Mercy Drive
Crazy Anglos

Anathema
05-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Room V - Shadow Gallery

Discovered this a few weeks ago as I been dipping more into the progressive rock genre and I have to say its one of the best albums I ever listened to in my life! Also I quite found of 'stained' by Imperanon and 'Christ 0' by Vanden Plas

FakeLaser
05-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Give me an example. I'm trying to broaden my horizon's.
http://www.last.fm/user/Integra1023/

That keeps track of the mp3s I listen to. You can listen to samples of bands and crap that I listen to right on there by clicking the play button for 30 second previews of the bands, or you can click on the artist and it will have a biography with similar artists and samples of songs or even entire songs for download.

I don't know what you listen to but my taste is pretty eclectic, but as you can see I generally listen to alternative/indie/classic/experimental rock.

Blitz
05-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Jakalope-Canadian industrial pop collective

Mrnorth-Irish band who sound a bit like U2, except more Rock. They are amazing.

The Panic Division-Rock with some really nice electronic flourishes.

Kane Knight
05-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Stone Coyotes. Though they were a HUGE seller on Amazon.com, they only really get a lot of coverage in Massachusetts and Texas.

Barbara Keith inspired the character of Linda Moon in Be Cool. Several of the songs off their first record were written for the novel. They were once described as "Patsy Cline meets AC/DC." With folk standards and hard rock, and much in between, the Stone Coyotes are pretty diverse. And it works for them.

thedamndest
05-24-2007, 02:40 AM
Sigh, I probably don't listen to obscure enough stuff anymore because I haven't heard of the bulk of what was recommended.

Now doubting my own credibility in the obscureness of my music, I would say that I love Godspeed You Black Emperor!'s F#A#infinity (however you make that sign).

Blitz
05-24-2007, 04:05 AM
Just saw a couple of good bands tonight. Two Hours Traffic, who've got kind of a Motion City Soundtrack thing going on, and The Golden Dogs, who I knew of before, but their live show tonight melted my face off.

Kane Knight
05-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Immortal Technique--Not too sure how "Obscure" He is., but aside from seeming to worship Hitler Lite (Che Gueara), he's got some really solid rhymes and some decent messages. Rap.

Gatja--Go download the stuff in the media thread. Hard Rock, I guess.

Tool. :shifty:

Just John
05-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right to Children

Boards of Canada are great, they use subliminal shit in their songs.

If you wanna be utterly confused, listen to Aphex Twin.

Kane Knight
05-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Ooooh...Aphex Twin...There's some obscure music...

...Hey, anyone hear of that David Bowie guy?

DRBailey
05-24-2007, 11:02 AM
If you like Aphex Twin get the stuff he releases under Richard D. James . Madman, mate saw him down his local pub doing a set where he just fucked off everyone for fun....

Back on topic, Cpt Phallus

Impeccable
05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
As I'm a brit, there's a band that I am hooked on, that are quite big over the "pond", and that's Our Lady Peace. Nobody over here seems to have heard of them.

Kane Knight
05-24-2007, 11:39 AM
On that note, anyone from Canada is shocked I know who Moxy Früvous are.

And nobody in America seems to know them.

ron the dial
05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Sleep Said The Monster. Real haunting acoustic stuff. At least his first album was. Now he's added a band, and the music has lost some its charm.

BigDaddyCool
05-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Entropy is cool, but you will never find any of there stuff.

mitch_h
05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Frog Eyes, Canadian indy rock that at times borders on folk or cabaret.

diothoir
05-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Newton Faulkner. Folky acoustic stuff.

He also dropped his excellent middle name of "Battenberg" since I last listened to him. :'(

http://www.myspace.com/newtonfaulkner

BigDaddyCool
05-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Bon Jovi, wanted dead or alive is good.

el fregadero
05-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Boards of Canada are great, they use subliminal shit in their songs.

If you wanna be utterly confused, listen to Aphex Twin.
I am familiar with Aphex Twin.

I prefer BoC.

Arnold HamNegger
05-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Cool, I'm gonna check all these out when I get a chance. Thanks guys. :y:

I'm more into the Metal/Rock/whatever you want to call it scene, but I'm starting to appreciate other forms of music.

Rob
05-24-2007, 07:03 PM
As I'm a brit, there's a band that I am hooked on, that are quite big over the "pond", and that's Our Lady Peace. Nobody over here seems to have heard of them.

Shame too cos they are great

OssMan
05-24-2007, 07:18 PM
street nigga

Tornado
05-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Rodrigo y Gabriela

I'm seeing them support Muse at Wembley Stadium in a few weeks, I downloaded the album, can't wait to hear it live on a hot summers day.

As for obscure, I've really liked Gym Class Heroes for a long while, when hardly anyone in the UK knew of them, now they've just re-released Cupids Chokehold, are are all over the place.

Danny Electric
05-24-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm seeing them support Muse at Wembley Stadium in a few weeks, I downloaded the album, can't wait to hear it live on a hot summers day.

As for obscure, I've really liked Gym Class Heroes for a long while, when hardly anyone in the UK knew of them, now they've just re-released Cupids Chokehold, are are all over the place.

look at my topic from 2 years ago :)

Kane Knight
05-24-2007, 09:51 PM
La Peste.

They're a Boston Punk act from like 1982. They won the WBCN Rumble, but broke up. I think they're still somewhat known around Boston, but even there, probably not that much. I think you can get their collected works on one CD.

Tribe: If you have Guitar Hero, the game was in part developed by members of a band called Din. As they mention in GH, Din has two members who are relkated to members of Tribe. Tribe is a 90s Alternative act. They looked like they were going great until they broke up, rather inexplicably. Something about Lacuna Coil's vocals reminds me of Janet and the male leads. Get some Din, too, if you can.

Half the World--Alt-Hard Rock or something. Kinda got a bubble gum feel to them, with a nice heavy edge.
Find them on CD Baby.

Skippord
05-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Dunno if they count as obscure but Venom and Dream Evil

Xerzes
05-25-2007, 04:36 AM
Toadies. Rubberneck, if you want a specific album.

thecc
05-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Lately i've really been into MC Chris.

http://www.myspace.com/mcchrissssssslt3

Downunder
05-26-2007, 12:10 AM
A bizzare Canadian band called The Besnard Lakes, I d/l thier album The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horse. Kinda folky, mellow, hard to pidgeon hole.

Blitz
05-26-2007, 02:33 AM
I almost saw the Besnard Lakes a coupla months back. Now that I know Downunder likes them, I wish I had.

Cactus Sid
06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Dunno if people really find them obscure, but I love the Fiery Furnaces, especially Gallowsbird Bark

Xero
06-04-2007, 03:43 PM
The TenGooz. Really love them, especially their "Inertia" album.

mitch_h
06-04-2007, 05:57 PM
A bizzare Canadian band called The Besnard Lakes, I d/l thier album The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horse. Kinda folky, mellow, hard to pidgeon hole.
:y: Seeing them on the 23rd

Kane Knight
06-06-2007, 03:09 PM
The Neighborhoods: Another band from the GH tracks. Parasite is a new track that sounds like little they've done in the past. They're power punk/punk, depending on how far back you go. They started off as a punk band, then went power pop in the late 80s. There was a brief period, about 6 songs worth, where they were sorta new wave.

The reason I just thought of them is my father reminded me that they opened for Bowie once ath Bowie's request, because Bowie enjoyed the labum "Reptile Men." Later on, Brad Whitford produced their self-titled album, which was ironically their last.

Bowie likes them, so if you're worth a shit, you will too. :D

CSL
06-08-2007, 03:33 PM
<font color=white>Exploder.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8729680

'Sympathy Love' & 'Exploder' are 2 of my favourite songs atm.</font>

Road Warrior
06-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Cocknoose

The Genius
06-09-2007, 04:21 PM
magnified
the blue
in the US matthew good band was pretty obscure but i am sure they are huge in canada.

El Vaquero de Infierno
06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Rasputina

Corset-clad cello rock at it's finest.

mitchables
06-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Karate's albums "Pockets", "Some Boots" and "The Bed Is In The Ocean" are all obscureliciously smooth.

The Cinematic Orchestra. Apparently these guys have been around a while, but I've only recently heard their CD "Ma Fleur". Beautiful album. It pretty much sounds like what the name says, a cinematic orchestra.

The Redneck Manifesto's "I Am Brazil" is a delightfully Irish instrumental jive-a-thon. I recommend in particular the song "We Still Got It" as an introduction to them, and if you like that, get more. Or whatever, I'm not here to tell you how to live your life.

FakeRazor, I think you in particular would appreciate the above three bands, if you don't already. Also, Sharks Keep Moving, which was Jake Snyder from Minus the Bear's old band. Smooth indie jazz rock.