PDA

View Full Version : K-1 MMA event

Fignuts
06-02-2007, 05:41 PM
So I guess this is tonight. Anyone watching?

Lesnar makes his debut, but the main event is going to be Royce Gracie vs Kazushi Sakuraba. For those that don't know these two put on the longest mma contest in history clocking in at 90 minutes, with sakuraba rising as the victor. Sakuraba is a shell of what he used to be. Don't know about gracie but I'm assuming the same goes for him. Still should be fairly good. I'd wager Sakuraba might break out a new trick or two for this fight.

Kris P Lettus
06-02-2007, 05:44 PM
I wish I was getting this but I am not..

K-1 is promoting it, but it's MMA not kickboxing??

Fignuts
06-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Yeah, it's K-1's new mma splinter promotion. Elite EX or something, it's called.

Kris P Lettus
06-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh.. The Showtime promotion..

I almost went to the first one of these in north Mississippi.. Renzo vs Frank Shamrock.. Did watch it on tv though..

Fignuts
06-02-2007, 05:52 PM
I still want to see it just because Sakuraba is my favorite fighter.

Silva pretty much slughtered his career.

Savio
06-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Oh shit its on showtime? I get that for free. what time?

Mr Regal
06-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't know if i cam watch it over her in blighty:( try and find some clips on you tube tomorrow i guess.

Kris P Lettus
06-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Oh shit its on showtime? I get that for free. what time?

The first (last) one was on Showtime.. Google it..

Innovator
06-02-2007, 08:50 PM
this is ppv

i'll get it, why not

Savio
06-02-2007, 09:11 PM
They should put barbed wire on the ropes so they stay off them.

Edit: percy went out like a bitch

Innovator
06-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Johnie Morton just got knocked the fuck out, 40 seconds in

RP
06-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Johnie Morton is sill fighting wtf?

Jordan
06-03-2007, 12:00 AM
This looks like it blows, maybe the last two matches will save it.

Jordan
06-03-2007, 12:00 AM
This looks like it blows, maybe the last two matches will save it.

Jordan
06-03-2007, 12:44 AM
There you have it, Lesnar easily makes his debut in MMA by punking some jobber out.

HeartBreakMan2k
06-03-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm sure he looked great, but how was it won? Like did it look like he just blew through the guy because said guy sucked, or did he exhibiit alot of the talent I'd assume he'd have?

Jordan
06-03-2007, 12:54 AM
I didn't see it but he won quickly, stormed the guy and hit him with a hard elbow I belive and the guy tapped. So winner by submission, strikes.

Jordan
06-03-2007, 12:55 AM
MMANEWS.com

PRELIM FIGHTS

Fight #1:
-Gesias Calvancanti vs. Nam Phan

Round 1: Alrighty, here we go. This is being taped to air on Showtime (if time permits). Not sure if that has anything to do with Calvancanti not making weight or not. Anyways, we're about to get rolling!

Fight starts with Calvancanti getting the clinch and taking Phan down. From there, he immediately punches his way to a very quick referee stoppage victory.

Gesias Calvancanti def. Nam Phan via TKO (strikes) at 0:26 of Round 1.

Fight #2:
-Katsuhiko Nagata vs. Isaiah Hill

Round 1: Early on Hill is connecting with some good shots. We have a clinch now against the ropes and Nagata gets the takedown. He's got a bloody nose, but is now getting his ground and pound going. He attempts to take Hill's back, but winds up on top again throwing punches. We got a stoppage to check Nagata's bloody nose. Doctor green light's it, and we're back on the feet. Nagata goes for a takedown, Hill slaps on a guillotine but Nagata gets out and is hammeing down. Lull in the action now and the ref stands them back up. Nagata with another takedown. Round ends, likely 10-9 for Nagata.

Round 2: Nagata opens the round with a takedown, landing in half-guard. Nagata receiving warnings for striking to the back of the head multiple times. Hill manages to escape and scramble back to his feet. Nagata quickly gets a body lock takedown. Nagata passes to side mount. Hill gets his guard back. Nagata passes to north-south position and is working strikes. Round ends, another 10-9 for Nagata.

Round 3: Hill goes for a right punch, Nagata slips it and pulls Hill down with a single-leg. Hill sweeps, but the two get tangled in the ropes. We get a restart, but Nagata again quickly takes Hill down. We get a lull in the action and another restart. This time, Hill knowing he's losing the fight makes his best effort standing. He has Nagata hurt, but when attempting to finish with a guillotine, Nagata escapes. Nagata now on top, moves to mount and then side-mount where he begins working on an arm. No dice though, another stand-up and the round is now over. Nagata should take this one.

Katsuhiko Nagata def. Isaiah Hill via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27) after 3 Rounds.

SHOWTIME FIGHTS

Fight #3:
-Jonathan Wiezorek vs. Tim Persey

Round 1: Boring round so far. Nothing really happening yet. We're in the clinch up against the ropes just moving around the ring. Finally get a seperation. 3 minutes left in the round. Persey throws a huge bomb but just barely misses. We're back in the clinch. While throwing knees to the leg, Wiezork accidentally lands a low blow. We get a stoppage due to the foul. Action resumes and Persey drops him with punches immediately. He's in Wiezork's guard now working his ground and pound. Wiezork attempts an armbar, but eats a huge shot for his effort. Persey gets some space and lands another real good shot. Wiezork working a kimura from the bottom, he's almost got it too. Persey gets out eventually and lands a big shot. Wiezork berzerks his way up and we're in the clinch against the ropes with 45 seconds remaining. Wiezork gets a takedown with 10 seconds left. Round over. 10-9 Persey most likely.

Round 2: Early in the round, Persey lands a good shot. Wiezork gets a takedown soon after. He's got Persey's back and is pounding away. Herb Dean is about to step in. He's not fighting back or trying to move position at all. Herb Dean stops it.

Jonathan Wiezorek def. Tim Persey via TKO (strikes) at 0:50 of Round 2.

NOTES: Ok we just had interviews with Gina Carano, Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett and Phil Baroni. After that, they aired highlights from the Calvancanti vs. Phan fight earlier on in the night. Up next is Jake Shields vs. Ido Pariente. I have no idea where they're gonna throw the Tokoro vs. Pickett fight in the mix.

Fight #4:
-Jake Shields vs. Ido Pariente

Round 1: Shields comes in with a big leg kick to start the round. Not much later he's got his first takedown. A few seconds pass, and Shields now has full mount. Pariente trying to sweep and buck, but Shields is keeping the position and hammering in spots. Shields moves to side-mount but quickly jumps back to mount. He's landing good punches and I think Pariente is bleeding now. Pariente gives Shields his back, he gets his hooks in and is looking for a rear naked choke. He's got it and it's over.

Jake Shields def. Ido Pariente via Submission (rear naked choke) at 2:06 of Round 1.

PAY-PER VIEW FIGHTS

NOTES: This is an insanely drawn-out intro here on the PPV. We had a big trumpet show with colorful dances walking up and down stairs like a music video. Now we're introducing all the fighters. Oh and as I type, Royce Gracie (with the R sound) is being introduced. This is classic-bad.

Fight #5:
-Johnnie Morton vs. Bernard Ackah

Round 1: Intense staredown. Morton comes out blazing with strikes. Now he's trying for a takedown. Morton is very intense and gets the takedown. Ackah is back up though. The two are slugging it out. Ackah completely drops Morton. He is totally unconscious.

Bernard Ackah def. Johnnie Morton via KO (punch) at 0:38 of Round 1.

NOTES: Morton is still out, we're going on at least two minutes. They're putting a hard collar on him and strapping him to a stretcher. It took them over a minute to even take his mouth piece out. Commentary is focusing on Morton not being prepared when this is a scary situation. Looks like he's somewhat coming to now.

Fight #6:
-Mighty Mo vs. Ruben Villareal

Round 1: Mighty Mo wins by quick knockout. The two just traded bombs on the feet. Warpath lands a nice leg kick but then gets dropped by Mighty Mo. Mighty Mo would eventually follow up with some power shots that knocked him out on the ground.

Mighty Mo def. Ruben Villareal via KO (punches) in Round 1.

Fight #7:
-Melvin Manhoef vs. Yoon Dong Sik

Round 1: This fight was almost cancelled due to a technicality involving taping up his ankles. The fight was cancelled but eventually Dong Sik agreed to the CSAC's wishes. Amazing first round. Melvin came out guns blazing and almost finished him early on. Dong Sik eventually got a takedown and side mount, gained full mount and pounded almost to the round ends. However, he goes for an armbar, has it but loses it and they're back on the feet. Melvin finishes the round strong, hurting Dong Sik with strikes again. Great first round, hard to decide.

Round 2: Awesome round again, didn't last long though. Dong Sik gets a takedown early and gets Manhoef's back. He goes for a choke, loses it, then goes for an armbar and gets it.

Yoon Dong Sik def. Melvin Manhoef via Submission (armbar) in Round 1.

Fight #8:
-Hideo Tokoro vs. Brad Pickett

Round 1: Finally is this one next? We'll see. Great fight, ends in the first. The two slugged early, but Tokoro got Pickett down and was looking for a number of submissions. Almost had a leg submission but didn't get it. A few moments later he gets an armbar on and got the tap out.

Hideo Tokoro def. Brad Pickett via Submission (armbar) in Round 1.

Fight #9:
-Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba

Round 1: Royce is coming out first. Again the "DJ" says his name with the R-sound. Who cares, I'm jacked for this one.

Decent first round. Very slow start with Sakuraba dropping Royce but then it was the infamous Sakuraba-Gracie position (Saku standing over Gracie) but it was Gracie from the bottom doing the better damage to Sakuraba's legs. They scramble up and Sakuraba grabs a standing kimura! This is nuts! Nothing doing and the round ends with the two circling and not doing much.

Round 2: Pretty boring round. Almost the entire time in the clinch, with Gracie landing knees to Sakuraba's knee. Saku gets a thai-clinch at one point and tries going berzerker mode with knees, but nothing doing. Back in the clinch, nothing happens as the round rides out. Fans boo heavily at the end of the round.

Round 3: Another lackluster round. Early on they hit the ground and switched positions a few times. The rest of the round was mostly Sakuraba holding onto a standing kimura. The ref seperates them with about 40 seconds to go, they hit the floor and Sakuraba takes Gracie's back as the round ends.

Royce Gracie def. Kazushi Sakuraba via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28) after 3 Rounds.

Fight #10:
-Brock Lesnar vs. Min Soo Kim

Round 1: Quick fight. Lesnar bull-rushes in and immediately takes down his opponent. He's in half guard and advances to mount. Min Soo Kim is doing nothing more than holding on for dear life. In mount, while Min Soo is holding on, Lesnar lands some in-close punches to the side of his head and Min Soo taps. Weird ending.

Brock Lesnar def. Min Soo Kim via Submission (strikes) in Round 1.

Savio
06-03-2007, 01:32 AM
vid?

HeartBreakMan2k
06-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Fix or just out right dominance?

RP
06-03-2007, 02:07 AM
lol who taps to punches?

Jordan
06-03-2007, 02:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWiEfviKso

RP
06-03-2007, 02:36 AM
three cheers for shit ground defense.

So Sean O'Haire apparently wasnt available for this fight?

RP
06-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Oh thats right. He's busy getting beaten up by bartenders and bouncers with no MMA training what so ever.

HeartBreakMan2k
06-03-2007, 02:48 AM
So not even a tap out due to punches, but a tap out due to rabbit punches. Seems odd, but I'm still very high on Lesnar.

Crimson
06-03-2007, 03:28 AM
k, im sold..get him in the UFC now

Mr Regal
06-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Matches are here to view.

http://www.ufcbattleroyale.com/

owenbrown
06-03-2007, 11:18 AM
There you have it, Lesnar easily makes his debut in MMA by punking some jobber out.

Gee, why does this sound so familiar? :shifty:

Rob
06-03-2007, 12:39 PM

And? I don't see your point here. No athletic commission in the States would allow him to fight anyone with a ton more MMA experience.

Kris P Lettus
06-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Yeah but that dude was a joke.. He's 2-6 (including last night) and gave up a full mount within a minute and a half..

Pretty much what I expected..

YOUR Hero
06-03-2007, 08:13 PM
that guy he fought didn't even look like he belonged in the same weight class as Lesnar.

Kris P Lettus
06-03-2007, 08:24 PM
that guy he fought didn't even look like he belonged in the same weight class as Lesnar.

If he was over 205lbs they're both "heavyweights"..

Reavant
06-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Min So Kim weighed in at 255 and Lesnar weighed in at 262

http://www.mmascoops.com/headlines/headlines/182758914.shtml

YOUR Hero
06-03-2007, 08:40 PM
They looked far different size wise. Gotta wonder about those weight stats. Look how small he looked compared to Lesnar.

Reavant
06-03-2007, 08:43 PM
he was prolly just proportioned differently

YOUR Hero
06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
for sure.

Like really only 230 lbs to start with.

Savio
06-03-2007, 11:17 PM
That wasn't even sussposed to be lesnars aopponent though. They flew that jobber in at the last minute from what I heard

Reavant
06-03-2007, 11:36 PM
http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=20693

He was supposed to fight Hong Man Choi.... huge mother fucker with a 10-3 kickboxing record and a 1-0 mma record

Kris P Lettus
06-03-2007, 11:45 PM
That dude has got the biggest face I've ever seen..

Kris P Lettus
06-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Als, LOL @

Nick Name Techno Goliath

Reavant
06-03-2007, 11:53 PM
I was just searching his fights on youtube. He looks terrible. Lesar would have killed him.

Kris P Lettus
06-04-2007, 12:02 AM
I am watching him and Bob Sapp in K-1..

He's like watching Giant Silva.. He's huge and it's hard to get inside but he's kinda shit..

Kris P Lettus
06-04-2007, 12:02 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUJLNBU8hjU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUJLNBU8hjU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Are you kidding me??

Reavant
06-04-2007, 12:17 AM
<OBJECT height=350 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUJLNBU8hjU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT></P>
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Are you kidding me??wow