06-24-2007, 05:21 AM
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/altana/index.html

:drool:

RBM
06-24-2007, 03:09 PM
People still play FF11?

alvarado52
06-24-2007, 03:56 PM
i thought they were creating an entire new MMORPG in the FF world. Ugh, watching this makes me wanna play again, but i know ill get bored around like level 40ish

darkpower
06-24-2007, 05:57 PM
People still play FF11?

Uhh...yeah! They've been doing a HELL of alot of improving since ToAU (like, actually DOING something about gilsellers and shit, and actually having logic that is in par with the REST OF THE FUCKING WORLD)!

road doggy dogg
06-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I just assumed most other MMO companies wisened up and stopped losing money to Blizzard by this point.

darkpower
06-24-2007, 06:04 PM
i thought they were creating an entire new MMORPG in the FF world. Ugh, watching this makes me wanna play again, but i know ill get bored around like level 40ish

That's what they were going to do (or at least that's what was rumored) when the PS3 came out and when Microsoft released Vista (PS3 obviously wouldn't be able to play it without a new disc for install and the PlayOnline viewer, what you needed in order to get access to FF11, for some reason wouldn't work in Vista at the time). But then the Vista thing was fixed and I'm not sure if they're planning on something for the PS3.

I would love to see what they are going to add in this one. Many of the additions lately have been really good (fixing Dragoon, the entire ToAU expansion just about rejuvinated the ENTIRE community, stopping gilsellers and cheaters (the best they can, no game can get them all), adding EXP rings that can double your EXP you get for a certain amount of time, thereby making it easier to level). They've been on a roll lately, and they've gotten people to come back to the game, so I don't doubt they're going to plan something HUGE for WOTG.

darkpower
06-24-2007, 06:08 PM
I just assumed most other MMO companies wisened up and stopped losing money to Blizzard by this point.

Many of them are. I think WoW, Everquest, and FFXI are the three big ones right now (and I'm even giving EQ the benefit of the doubt there). Many of those that are coming back to FFXI left in favor of WoW, but came back because of the many additions to FFXI, plus they say that there are some downsides to WoW (too many fucktards playing, somewhat too easy of a game).

WoW is still controlling the pack right now, though I wouldn't be surprised if FFXI gains on them if they keep it up.

Fenix122
06-24-2007, 07:25 PM
i loved the first EQ but EQ II sucked...i played it for two weeks and quit

LoDownM
06-24-2007, 08:28 PM
FFXI got boring after the 2nd month. That and learning how to ask for basic shit in Japanese got on my nerves.

mrslackalack
06-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Interesting

darkpower
06-25-2007, 09:19 AM
FFXI got boring after the 2nd month. That and learning how to ask for basic shit in Japanese got on my nerves.

They got an auto translator now, though I'm not sure if it'll help on that respect (and it's not wise to party with ALL Japanese on the game, either. While the ones I've met are really nice and give a shit about keeping bridges intact, from what I heard, some of them think they're the second coming of Christ in that game).

It's amusing, though....the translator can be used as a way to be lazy and not type out a word...and some people in linkshells and partys can make rather AMUSING quotes with that thing.

Silent
06-25-2007, 10:49 AM
JP ONRY

LoDownM
06-25-2007, 04:47 PM
They got an auto translator now, though I'm not sure if it'll help on that respect (and it's not wise to party with ALL Japanese on the game, either. While the ones I've met are really nice and give a shit about keeping bridges intact, from what I heard, some of them think they're the second coming of Christ in that game).

It's amusing, though....the translator can be used as a way to be lazy and not type out a word...and some people in linkshells and partys can make rather AMUSING quotes with that thing.

And by now, there are plenty of English speaking people to help, so the auto translator is useless.

Doesn't matter, FFXI is terrible. Yes I get it, it's an MMO, but it's way to group dependant past lvl10. I like to be able to go off an kill stuff on my own sometimes, instead of waiting in a town for an hour to go kill stuff.

In summary. WoW > FFXI.

Silent
06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
FFXI got some things right. The storyline is (arguably) more involving, since you get a bunch of cutscenes and special things like that. WoW is very static in that sense. I love the Warcraft lore but I think they are messing up some good things about it with WoW. FFXI is way more immersive than WoW because they don't put a billion pop culture references in every new feature.

But WoW is easier and pretty much more fun to play. My friends all play it and I still do as well.

darkpower
06-27-2007, 07:51 AM
FFXI got some things right. The storyline is (arguably) more involving, since you get a bunch of cutscenes and special things like that. WoW is very static in that sense. I love the Warcraft lore but I think they are messing up some good things about it with WoW. FFXI is way more immersive than WoW because they don't put a billion pop culture references in every new feature.

But WoW is easier and pretty much more fun to play. My friends all play it and I still do as well.

If you find the right people, too, FFXI has some of the nicer people playing the game that are really helpful.

And while I haven't seen it myself, from what I've heard, they got some crazy fucktards on WoW (sure, some FFXI people are fucktards, but I've heard WoW has a TON of them).

Extreme Angle
06-27-2007, 08:39 AM
I actually have the game in mydraw, i never got round to playing it though...

darkpower
06-27-2007, 08:41 AM
I actually have the game in mydraw, i never got round to playing it though...

Which one?

Silent
06-27-2007, 08:49 PM
I do play it still every once in a while, but only when I have a lot of time to commit to a party.

Sepholio
06-27-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm sick of all MMOs honestly. I feel like being able to do the high level stuff solo is the funnest thing in an RPG, and MMOs completely detract from that. Plus there are way too many cheaters, annoying pricks who just ruin your playing experience, people who play 24/7 to item horde and ruin in-game economies. Plus FFXI pissed me off because I had to wait longer for another legit FF. They should have made it a side story.

Now, that being said, the only way I'll get involved in another MMO is if Blizzard makes Diablo 3 an MMO. Then I'll have no choice.

Sepholio
06-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Also, I won't play WoW because I worry that Leeeeeeerrrrroooooyyyyyy Jeeeennnnnkkkkiiinnnnnssss will end up getting me killed every time I want to do something high level.

Silent
06-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Also, I won't play WoW because I worry that Leeeeeeerrrrroooooyyyyyy Jeeeennnnnkkkkiiinnnnnssss will end up getting me killed every time I want to do something high level.

Your loss.

road doggy dogg
06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
WoW (and I'm sure every other MMO out there as well) is full of angry nerds who take everything in the game entirely too seriously. Trust me, I used to be one of them. I look back now and laugh at some of my friends I made via WoW, I try to talk to them on MSN to just catch up or what-have-you, and they're too busy raiding to even have a conversation. Terrible. Raiding was fun for like... 4 months, then after you kill one boss it's all the same.

Extreme Angle
06-28-2007, 07:59 AM
FFXI for 360, with the two expansions...

RBM
06-29-2007, 06:16 PM
I played FFXI off and on from the American release up until the release of WoW. Which was like November of 03 until November of 04 or so. I had a 56 white mage and had a pretty good "perma party" group going, etc. Shit got pretty boring though. As previous mentioned, you can't do shit by yourself past lvl 10. Due to being able to trade around like 90% of the gear in the game, the economy went to shit during my playing time and dying and losing 10% of your experience and even being able to de-lvl was pretty ridiculous.

Wow did alot more shit right but every MMO I've played is full of people that substitute a real life for the virtual life they get in the game. Way too many people play like 18+ hours a day and think they're badass or special.

I still play WoW, but certainly not every day and generally no more than a 5 hour stretch. I don't raid or arena either, I mostly work on multiple characters to get a proper feel for all of the classes. I'd easily dump it if something a bit more fun would come out *cough* Starcraft 2 *cough*

darkpower
07-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Someone posted this on Allakhazam...it's an older thing, but this person really wanted to be banned, I guess:

http://img24.echo.cx/img24/307/cyberpage8je5tx.jpg

http://img24.echo.cx/img24/1698/gmtalk22qa2rh.jpg

Silent
07-03-2007, 01:14 AM
lol

RBM
07-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Funny stuff. These pics remind me how ugly and drab FFXI was.

Silent
07-04-2007, 01:12 PM
I actually kind of like the art style, it's a little primitive especially compared to WoW and some of the upcoming games, but I think it's kind of cool. Looks good on the 360 anyway, not so much on my crappy PC.

OssMan
07-11-2007, 01:36 PM
yo I might buy final fantasy 11 are there 2 parts to it or what. Also I've never played anything online before except like Warcraft 3 and Age of Empires so should I not even bother

Silent
07-12-2007, 12:46 AM
If you buy it for the Xbox 360 all of the expansions will come on the same disc, and it costs like $20 now. For the PC I believe they sell it all together on a DVD.

It's a fairly complex game, if you have time to commit to it it's well worth the time, but if you aren't really into spending a lot of time on a game you might not like it as much.

OssMan
07-12-2007, 12:52 AM
is it for PS2 as well? my comp is prob too slow to play it.

i've beaten like every numbered final fantasy except for 8 a bunch of the spinoffs too, so unless this game is mad time consuming i think i could put in an hour or two every few days during the summer but whatever.

RBM
07-12-2007, 01:08 AM
it's... it's not something you can just log on and play very casually.

MMO's are huge time sinks. It takes time to travel. It takes time to get groups. It takes time to level. It takes time to farm so you can afford things in the game. You must do virtually everything in groups past level 10. These types of games are designed for people that take gaming beyond the occasional hobby and actually devote a good chunk of their free time to it. It's also a 15ish dollars a month cost just to keep playing. They do update these types of games regularly for no additional cost and generally you will have enough to technically do that you can view that as a fairly cheap form of entertainment.

However, with only what might amount to 6-10 hours per week to play for the next couple of months, you probably wouldn't be able to enjoy the game too much.

darkpower
07-12-2007, 02:04 AM
is it for PS2 as well? my comp is prob too slow to play it.

i've beaten like every numbered final fantasy except for 8 a bunch of the spinoffs too, so unless this game is mad time consuming i think i could put in an hour or two every few days during the summer but whatever.

It's for the PS2, but you have to buy the $99 HDD for it, which I'm not sure if they still sell, and the online adaptor for it. You may want to buy a keyboard which will add to the money you need to put in.

You should try to upgrade your comp instead. That would be a safer bet.

OssMan
07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
lol $15 a month? nevermind

darkpower
07-13-2007, 03:17 AM
lol $15 a month? nevermind

It's actually 12.95/month, plus a dollar for any extra character you decide to make. I pay 15 because I have three characters (my main and two extras).

Silent
07-13-2007, 01:38 PM
You also need the old PS2 to play FFXI because Sony, being the brilliant minds they are, released the new slim PS2 before the hard drive, which doesn't work on the new model, could catch on.