PDA

View Full Version : Just saw The Passion...

Smitty
02-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Meh. I think it was waaaaayyyy over hyped. The movie was average and not too interesting. I think it would of played out better if it included what preluded to the crucifixion, like all of the miracles Jesus made and all the support he gained leading up to the crucifixion. *spoilers i guess, even though pretty much everyone knows the story* I dunno, it just seemed that 15 min. of showing him being whipped and then another 40 min of him carrying the cross took up wayyy to much screen time. They did occasionally show flashbacks of Jesus at home and Jesus talking to the apostles at the last supper, but nothing realing showing his power as the messiah i.e. healing, curing the blind, walking on water, etc.

Triple A
02-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Well, the movie was only recapping the last few hours of his life leading up to the crucifixion, not his entire life. I'm gonna see it this weekend.

Kane Knight
02-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Well, the movie was only recapping the last few hours of his life leading up to the crucifixion, not his entire life. I'm gonna see it this weekend.

What he said. This isn't "The Life and Times of Jesus Christ--And A&E Biography" or something.

Kane Knight
02-25-2004, 10:17 PM
It's also looked like it's basically an arthaus flick with a big budget and popular producer.

AareDub
02-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I don't really know a whole lot about the movie, I've been kinda purposely ignoring it. Anyway, I'm a very opinionated atheist, is there any chance I could still enjoy the movie or is it too preachy? A few of my friends invited me to go this weekend because they're smartasses and thought they were funny. I can't decide if I should go or not.

Smitty
02-26-2004, 02:48 PM
What he said. This isn't "The Life and Times of Jesus Christ--And A&E Biography" or something.

I know that, but I think they should of added more flashbacks of him performing miracles incorporated into the movie and cut down on the whole carrying of the cross by at least 15 min, and the whipping scence should of only been 5 min instead of like 20 min. They did show some flashbacks of him building a table, and talking w/ his disciples and whatnot, but more would have been better :y:

Champion of Europa
02-26-2004, 03:48 PM

YOUR Hero
02-26-2004, 09:53 PM
I'll go see it later on, after the hype dies down. You guys ok with that?

HeartBreakMan2k
02-26-2004, 09:54 PM
I'll go see it later on, after the hype dies down. You guys ok with that?

Quite ok with it, in fact I'm doing the same thing.

Danny Electric
02-26-2004, 09:57 PM
I'll probably rent it.

John la Rock
02-26-2004, 11:42 PM
well I'm not going to see it. I know that

Supreme Olajuwon
02-26-2004, 11:44 PM
I heard someone died while watching it today

I think that means God is pissed

whitetigerlover
02-27-2004, 03:36 AM
<font color=9900cc>It's only focus is to show the suffering He endered for all of humanity to make people understand what the level of torture. Not to re-tell the stories of miracles and such. That makes having all the violence instead of the holy stuff vital.\

I'm not religious, but my boyfriend is. He asked me to see it with him, so I will.</font>

The Destroyer
02-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Isn't it completely subtitled?

Seyda
02-27-2004, 07:45 AM
I saw it last night. Yes, it's completely subtitled. I wasn't impressed at all. I agree with both CV and Smitty. There was the emotional impact side of it, but the overall/overdone butality took away from it. The part that was most disturbing was when they were nailing him to the cross imo. The ending was also disappointing. Not a movie I'd pay to see again.

Overall, it could've been much better done. Wait for it to come out on TV, don't waste your money to see it (I can say that because I didn't pay to see it :D).

Mikey
02-27-2004, 07:48 AM
I'll probably rent it.

YOUR Hero
02-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Well it was never ment to be a box office smash. It's only become so well known to the over hype it's recieved from groups that bashed it. For people to critisize it, is to miss the message IMO.

mitch_h
02-27-2004, 05:13 PM

There was some guy in Hamilton who died during Charlies Angels. Then again God does hate Cameron Diaz.

Champion of Europa
02-27-2004, 05:41 PM
I've decided against going to see it this weekend because I'd be going with a bunch of church go-ers, and many church go-ers I have attened movies with talk a lot.

Also, I hate going to movies with a bunch of people in the theater, so I'll wait a good week or so.

Dragon
02-27-2004, 05:54 PM
I will probably see it tonight.

Shylox
02-27-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm probably gonna go see it on the weekend.

Gertner
02-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Meh. I think it was waaaaayyyy over hyped. The movie was average and not too interesting. I think it would of played out better if it included what preluded to the crucifixion, like all of the miracles Jesus made and all the support he gained leading up to the crucifixion. *spoilers i guess, even though pretty much everyone knows the story* I dunno, it just seemed that 15 min. of showing him being whipped and then another 40 min of him carrying the cross took up wayyy to much screen time. They did occasionally show flashbacks of Jesus at home and Jesus talking to the apostles at the last supper, but nothing realing showing his power as the messiah i.e. healing, curing the blind, walking on water, etc.

at the end of Titantic, the boat sinks

Lara Emily
02-28-2004, 12:22 AM
I lost all interest when they caved in and subtitled the thing.

Seyda
02-28-2004, 12:53 AM
I've decided against going to see it this weekend because I'd be going with a bunch of church go-ers, and many church go-ers I have attened movies with talk a lot.

Also, I hate going to movies with a bunch of people in the theater, so I'll wait a good week or so.

Actually that reminded me...When we arrived at the theater there were 3 squad cars roaming the parking lot. Not really a big deal around here so we didn't pay much attention to them. On our way inside we were stopped by some Baptists passing out books and other literature, we just took what they passed out and kept walking. Once inside we found out that one of them ended up in a fight with a couple coming into the theater who wouldn't accept their stuff.

Go figure.

Champion of Europa
02-28-2004, 03:41 PM

Oh yeah, it sucked cause we could understand what they were saying.

Anyway, I decided to go again, mainly because of a guilt trip.

It was good. Nothing life affirming.

ilt_undertaker
02-28-2004, 03:46 PM
well I'm not going to see it. I know that

Smitty
02-28-2004, 04:16 PM

Fu</>ck! really!? ;)

Smitty
02-28-2004, 04:18 PM

God was pissed, yeah I think so, seeing Jim Caveizel (sp?) was struck by lightning when he was on the cross during the shooting of the film, I don't think he took it straight on thought, so he wasn't injured. still freaky though.

YOUR Hero
02-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah someone died of a heartattack in a theater while watching it.

Triple A
02-28-2004, 05:48 PM
K gonna see it tonight. I WILL POST MY THOUGHTS.

Guest #1
02-28-2004, 05:58 PM

It's worse than you think, James Caviezel was struck by lightning twice while shooting it...
imbd (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335345/trivia)

Triple A
02-28-2004, 07:15 PM
It's worse than you think, James Caviezel was struck by lightning twice while shooting it...
imbd (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335345/trivia)
lol crazy.

The Mask
02-28-2004, 07:25 PM
i bet people die in cinemas all the time, wtf :mad:

I mean, if I had a weaker heart I'd have probably died like 8 times by now with all the crap that makes me jump :$

Triple A
02-29-2004, 05:54 AM
Wow, that ruled.

The graphicness was crazy and the movie was just put together well.

GOOD TIMES.

mitchables
02-29-2004, 07:06 AM

Yes, God forbid people actually understand what's going on.

Good call, Bryan. Good call.

Triple A
02-29-2004, 07:09 AM
By the way, the "anti-semitism" shit is bullshit. I saw absolutely none. The Jewish priests wanted him dead, but that was basically because that was part of their characters. There were tons of Jews who cried out against it too. The Romans were the ones who were made out to be the most evil and barbaric anyway.

Also, the guy who helps Jesus carry the cross was a huge "good guy" character, and he was Jewish, as was the lady who gave Jesus the towel.

Anyone who says it's anti-semetic is a f</>ucking moron.

CBright7831
02-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Really?!?

Who would have thought?

Anyway, apparently Mel Gibson makes a small cameo in the movie:

It's Mel Gibson's hands that nail Christ to the cross during the Crucifixion scene. The decision for his small cameo in the film was explained by a quote from Gibson who said "It was me that put him on the cross. It was my sins [who put him there]."

http://imdb.com/title/tt0335345/trivia

One of the more funnier facts is this:

When meeting with the producer, James Caviezel was originally told the film in question was a surfing movie. It wasn't until Mel Gibson walked in that Caviezel was told it was a film about Jesus

LOL

And yes, a women did die from a heart attack while watching the movie.

Woman Dies of Heart Attack During 'The Passion'

Mel Gibson's new film The Passion Of The Christ caused more controversy on Wednesday when a woman suffered a fatal heart- attack during the graphic crucifixion scene. The story of the last twelve hours of Jesus Christ's life has been criticized for alleged Anti-Semitism in the months leading up to its release in America yesterday - but the film's gory conclusion has become the focus following the tragic incident in Wichita, Kansas. Peggy Scott, a 56-year-old advertising sales manager, suffered the seizure during the 25-minute scene in which Jesus, played by James Caviezel, gets nailed to the cross. She died before reaching hospital. Ashleigh Murray, a local TV reporter, described the incident, "She had a seizure during the crucifixion scene, which is very graphic. She was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead. I do not know if she had deep religious convictions, but she must have felt something to have been at the theatre at 9:30am to watch this movie."

http://imdb.com/PeopleNews/#4

Jason Cage
02-29-2004, 12:54 PM
i saw the last 5 minutes. it was ****ing brutal.

Will go back and watch the whole movie though.

Lara Emily
03-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Oh yeah, it sucked cause we could understand what they were saying.

Anyway, I decided to go again, mainly because of a guilt trip.

It was good. Nothing life affirming.

I just really was attracted to the idea that they wanted you to not focus on the words but on the images.

Lara Emily
03-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Good call, Bryan. Good call.
http://tpww.net/forums/images/smilies/wtf.gif why did you use that?

PoisonIvy
03-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Either a Freudian slip or he was being a jerk. :-\

DegenerationY
03-02-2004, 05:24 AM
I saw the movie.

I don't understand why the contraversy. It was pretty much all 'historically' correct. I dunno about the visions of satan/serpent or whatever, though - it just reminded me of Mini-me mixed with Gollum from LOTR :o

That aside, I thought the movie was very well put together. I'm extremely happy it wasn't a movie filled with famous actors/actresses as well as the fact that it was subtitled instead of Americanizing it with the English language.

I didn't like the fact that they still made Jesus white. Historically, he was of much darker complexion. Why people refuse to acknowledge this, I have no idea. But that's pretty much my only gripe about the movie.

It's a great movie to motivate discussion, whether you are a religious person or not.

You most definitely don't have to be a religious person to appreciate the heaviness of the film.

Jordan
03-02-2004, 11:29 AM
I thought it was one of the most amazing movies I have ever scene.

SuperSlim
03-02-2004, 11:47 AM
I saw it last night...

besides some of the inaccuracies in it it was pretty good... not somethin that I can see why folks would cry their eyes out over... maybe the over sensitive or overemotional.

but overall it was a good movie.

Vega
03-02-2004, 11:04 PM
looks like shit, not interested.

Triple A
03-02-2004, 11:06 PM
What if it was directed by Chef Boyardee

packt up
03-05-2004, 01:26 AM
I'm an Atheist but I'm really curious about this film and will probably check it out at some point. Guess I'll rent it.

Volchok
03-05-2004, 08:53 PM
I saw it and it was a really good movie... i dont know about anyone else but it made me think about some things in my life during the whole Jesus getting beat scene and the crucifixon scene... just knowing that he died for all of us... i dont know... if you havent seen it... go see it, its a really good movie...

Volchok
03-05-2004, 08:56 PM
and about the guy playing Jesus how he got struck by lightning after he accidently got whipped i guess he said some not very nice words... the dudes playing Jesus he shouldnt be swearing...but yeah he went threw alot... got whipped, struck by lightning and dislocated his shoulder... but it was all worth it...

El Capitano Gatisto
03-05-2004, 11:59 PM
By the way, the "anti-semitism" shit is bullshit. I saw absolutely none. The Jewish priests wanted him dead, but that was basically because that was part of their characters. There were tons of Jews who cried out against it too. The Romans were the ones who were made out to be the most evil and barbaric anyway.

Also, the guy who helps Jesus carry the cross was a huge "good guy" character, and he was Jewish, as was the lady who gave Jesus the towel.

Anyone who says it's anti-semetic is a f</>ucking moron.

The anti-Semitism claim lies on the part where Pilate asks the crowd will they take responsibility for Christ's death and (apparently unsubtitled in the film so as not to make it obvious) the Jewish crowd cry back with the infamous "let his blood be upon our children's heads" line. That line has been used for years as a reason to persecute and abuse Jewish people. It comes from only one gospel in the Bible, and only a hardcore Jew-hater like Gibson would think of putting it in there in a film that is supposedly historically accurate.

Gibson said he'd leave that part out too, but apparently he left it in but took away the subtitles. Thing is, people in certain parts of the world (Middle East, parts of Europe) will be well able to understand it, subtitles or not.

It's not out here yet, as far as I know.

YOUR Hero
03-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Well ECG considering some hebrew guys where explaining that they couldn't translate the language from the movie very well, I'd say that's a stretch. Also because it only appears in one gospel why doesn't it have the right to be in his film. It's his money, his film, he can do as he pleases.

YOUR Hero
03-06-2004, 01:55 PM
People seem to forget that Pilote did give the crowd the chance to set Jesus free. In fact before every cruxifiction he gave amnesty to one person, chosen by the people. Now I'm sure in hindsight the population would have spared Jesus over the fellow they did. Some footnote in history now. Someone that was a popular thief back then as I recall.

El Capitano Gatisto
03-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Well ECG considering some hebrew guys where explaining that they couldn't translate the language from the movie very well, I'd say that's a stretch. Also because it only appears in one gospel why doesn't it have the right to be in his film. It's his money, his film, he can do as he pleases.

There were 4 gospels, if something only happens to appear in one of them, especially in one that is considered to have an anti-Jewish slant, it does not seem historically accurate.

Of course he can do what he pleases, did anyone say he couldn't? People are allowed to criticise a piece of work if they feel it is inflammatory or racist, also. Would you use the same excuse if a KKK member made a film consisting of racist propaganda dressed as historical fact? The fact is, he included a line that has been used for centuries as a crutch to beat the Jewish people with, when he said he wouldn't.

Also, the lines weren't spoken in Hebrew. They were uttered in Aramaic, from what I hear, which is still spoken in parts of the Middle East, including Syria which is none too fond of Israel.

El Capitano Gatisto
03-06-2004, 02:06 PM
People seem to forget that Pilote did give the crowd the chance to set Jesus free. In fact before every cruxifiction he gave amnesty to one person, chosen by the people. Now I'm sure in hindsight the population would have spared Jesus over the fellow they did. Some footnote in history now. Someone that was a popular thief back then as I recall.

He gave the crowd the option to pardon one prisoner, because it was the Passover. The rest of the gospels state that the people who plotted against Jesus Christ paid members of the crowd to lobby for the release of Barabbas the thief.

I'm not sure whether Gibson included this or not. If he didn't, but happened to leave in the "let his blood be upon the heads of our children" line, he would be wide open for criticism.

YOUR Hero
03-06-2004, 02:14 PM
I know it was spoken in Aramaic, I should have pointed out this Hebrew fellow was a scholar of languages. The thing about the language used in this film is that it's a dead strain of the language. Also Arabs aren't Christians, at least not +99% of them. Jesus was a prophet not the son of god like the west implies.

YOUR Hero
03-06-2004, 02:15 PM
This passage, I did not know. It would make some sence though...

The rest of the gospels state that the people who plotted against Jesus Christ paid members of the crowd to lobby for the release of Barabbas the thief.

YOUR Hero
03-06-2004, 02:16 PM
...But I don't see it's significance it it was ommited however :?:

El Capitano Gatisto
03-06-2004, 02:41 PM
I know it was spoken in Aramaic, I should have pointed out this Hebrew fellow was a scholar of languages. The thing about the language used in this film is that it's a dead strain of the language. Also Arabs aren't Christians, at least not +99% of them. Jesus was a prophet not the son of god like the west implies.

I haven't seen it yet, I'm going by summaries of the film I have heard, and one of them stated that this line would be well understood by people in certain parts of the Middle East.

Without getting too far away from the point, the fact that Gibson lied about not including this particular line, and that he belongs to a Catholic sect that rejects Vatican II (apologies made by the Vatican council to the Jewish people for not recognising the Holocaust and for anti-Semitic beliefs), it would seem as if the anti-Semitism accusation is at least partially valid.

The significance of any omission of the bribery of the Passover crowds is that it means Gibson is placing the blame wholly on the Jewish people, rather than a certain group of people who happened to be plotting against Jesus Christ.

Pontius Pilate was also not without blame in the whole incident, since he shouldn't really have been convicting Christ in the first place. Pilate was actually removed from his position by the Emporer of the time for being too brutal in his rule of the region, which says alot about the nature of the man since kindness has hardly been a virtue of Roman emporers chronicled in history.

YOUR Hero
03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
It seems to me you're confusing the son with the father. Mel's dad is the nutter. Or is this guilt by association?
Pilates tyranny isn't what this movie was about. It was about the last 12 hours of Jesus.
Guilt by association again, when you state that ommiting the bribbery claim places the blame solely on all the Jews.
I know it's speculation on your part. That that is what you and perhaps others will interpret. I just don't.

YOUR Hero
03-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Mel claims the Catholic church isn't 'Catholic enough' due to ceremonies not being performed in Latin. That's his beef with the church. Arrogance on his part, for sure. But hardly anti-semetic.

El Capitano Gatisto
03-06-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm pretty sure he's an admitted member of the Catholic sect that rejected Vatican II. I'm not mistaking him for his father, either. His father simply has no couth, Mel is alot more subtle about it.

Like the "alot of people died in the war, and I'm sure some of them were Jews" comment Mel made when asked about the Holocaust. It isn't an outright denial, but it's a diplomatic skirting of the issue. Being a part of a sect that rejects the notion of the Holocaust and blames the Jews for the death of Christ is anti-Semetic by very definition. Whether he comes out and says it or not, being part of a group confirms that he accepts those beliefs. That's what being part of a church or sect is.

This, allied with the leaving in of this contentious line (and it is extremely contentious), the portrayal of the Jewish people as a bloodthirsty crowd who wanted to murder Christ, rather than as a group manipulated in to solving a problem for a small group of powerful men is at the very least negligent film making. He says it is historically, factually accurate. You never know how many people will buy that because it is Mel Gibson saying it.

BlackRavyyn
03-22-2004, 09:02 PM
<font color=seablue><i>So I went to see the movie the other day, after being asked to join some friends.

I can't say I liked the movie, cause it is hard to like a movie that moves you in such a way as it did. Perhaps - thought provoking would be a better description.

And as an agnostic, those that are atheists should still see this movie. My friend is atheist and she was the one that told me I had to go and see it. She loved the movie and was crying during parts of it. I can see why because it is a very graphic and powerful film :y:</i></font>

The Mask
04-04-2004, 02:46 PM
I loved it. I can see where the anti-semitic stuff came from, but then there's a whole lot of Jewish people who helped Jesus out too, so it seems like a mixed bag to me.

Lara Emily
04-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Possible anti-semiticsm aside, this movie was an excellently made movie. I nearly passed out from crying so hard.

The Mackem
04-04-2004, 03:10 PM
I dunno, I think I'll give this one a miss given Mel Gibson's apparent takes on history. I'd probably get lost when Jesus kicks the ass of twenty Roman centurions in Rome.

The Mackem
04-04-2004, 03:20 PM
There was some guy in Hamilton who died during Charlies Angels. Then again God does hate Cameron Diaz.

:lol:

Gonzo
08-30-2004, 02:21 PM
I just saw this movie, got it free from work on DVD.

The whipping part was a little disturbing, made me cringe a little bit.

Other than that I think it was a fair depiction. :y:

Fox
09-07-2004, 02:10 AM
It's basically a snuff film designed to make people feel bad about what happened to Jesus Christ and strengthen their religious beliefs.

Oh yeah, and so Mel Gibson could have another pool of money to sleep in.

House of Pancakes
09-07-2004, 09:54 AM
It's basically a snuff film designed to make people feel bad about what happened to Jesus Christ and strengthen their religious beliefs.

Oh yeah, and so Mel Gibson could have another pool of money to sleep in.

That's what I think it is also, and because of that, I have not seen it. I'm not arguing that it wasn't well done, because it might've been. But the only purpose this movie had was to show people the way Christ died [if you're Christian, you know already, and if you're not, you know anyway but don't care] and to make Mel Gibson money strictly due to controversy. All of the movies Mel Gibson directs have stupid ideas that reek of his ego. I think Mel Gibson is a butthole.

loopydate
09-07-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree with the whole "snuff film" analogy. Honestly, the movie has nothing to do with Christ as Savior. It has everything to do with Christ as torture victim. If they had called the movie "The Passion of the Chris" and kept the entire film exactly the same, people wouldn't be calling it a classic.