PDA

View Full Version : With all the recent wrestling deaths, I'm wondering...

Kane Knight
07-01-2007, 11:12 PM
This isn't about Chris specifically, since we've lost Sherri recently, and we've had quite a few younger folks die in the last couple of years.

What do you think is going to take for things to change? Will there ever be a change? I mean, it always seems these deaths cluster together for a "dropping like flies" appearance, and this can't sit well with the general fan base, nor with the stockholders.

Benoit and Eddie both gave wrestling black eyes in different ways, as the one highlighted drug abuse, and was the first active roster deah of "importance" in years, and Benoit killed his family in a horrendous fashion that is going to make the news, and probably be roid rage, no matter what.

Mike Awesome would probably be great fuel for the media, were he better known generally.

And right now, if anyone dies for any reason, even a car crash or complete fluke, people will be all over it.

Is it too much? Should something be done? can something be done?

Reavant
07-01-2007, 11:21 PM
What could be done? Make harder tests for roids? They will just make harder to detect stuff. If anyone dies for any other reason thats life i guess.

Hanso Amore
07-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Without Roids Wrestling would not be where it is today. No Steroids = No Hogan = No 80s boom = No Attitude era.

Every big name has done them

It is just that now, 20 years after the drugs took over the business, now they are starting ti pay the price with their lives. It is really sad.

Reavant
07-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Realistically, everything out there can kill you. Steroids was made illegal because it was unfair for athletes to use it against athletes who were not. It just so happens that there is huge health risks in using steroids. Alcohol is addictive, and can give you liver cancer if you dont drink enough at one time to kill yourself. All the food you eat has MSG in it, and that shit is not only carcinogenic but one of the reasons there is such a problem with obesity. None of this stuff is banned.

My point is, that when it comes to everything else, you have the choice to put that in your body at your own risk. Professional wrestling is not competitive so steroids shouldnt even be an issue. They should be legal to the public and given age restrictions just like cigarettes and alcohol.

Kane Knight
07-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Too narrow a scope.

Reavant
07-02-2007, 12:52 AM
what do you mean?

Kane Knight
07-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Well, I seriously doubt Steroids killed Sherri Martel. She had boobs.

It's unlikely that steroid-induced depression could have caused Benoit to kill his family, then himself.

Mike Awesome...Well, I have no idea if he was on steroids.

Kurt Angle will be the one guy who lives until he's 80, just to spite us.

Eddie Guerrero: Took steroids, but also other things. And you'll notice this trend in pro wrestling. The steroids aren't likely to kill you on your own. That's why you don't have pro ball players dropping like flies. It's when you mix steroids and booze, coke, or whatever. It's when people go out of control unchecked.

I've defended steroids before: The FDA itself does not recommend the current actions against steroids.

Loose Cannon
07-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Yea agreed. Steroids with a mix of other drugs is what seems to be the problem here. But you can't discout the grueling schedule these guys have to work. Always being on the road, always traveling, not a lot of rest time, sleeping in different hotels all the time. It takes a toll. Then they have to go out and always be "on" to entertain everyone. Throw in those over seas tours and it makes things even tougher.

I think the WWE should have an off season just like other sports/TV programming. Just play reruns or WWE 24/7 stuff during that time.

Reavant
07-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Well, I seriously doubt Steroids killed Sherri Martel. She had boobs.

It's unlikely that steroid-induced depression could have caused Benoit to kill his family, then himself.

Mike Awesome...Well, I have no idea if he was on steroids.

Kurt Angle will be the one guy who lives until he's 80, just to spite us.

Eddie Guerrero: Took steroids, but also other things. And you'll notice this trend in pro wrestling. The steroids aren't likely to kill you on your own. That's why you don't have pro ball players dropping like flies. It's when you mix steroids and booze, coke, or whatever. It's when people go out of control unchecked.

I've defended steroids before: The FDA itself does not recommend the current actions against steroids.Oh i see. Well In terms of the deaths of all the other wrestlers I got nothing, but when it comes to steroids, a big thing with them is all those high school kids taking them and freaking out and killing themselves and all their mothers making organizastions like MADD because their so pissed off. Along with the fact that its unethical to use them in a competitive sport, steroids have a justified bad rap. But I agree with everything you said above.

Rammsteinmad
07-02-2007, 11:54 AM
WWE should lighten their schedule as well. Don't a lot of wrestlers get addicted to painkillers etc because their bodies are so sore?

And some wrestlers (Umaga?) are currently working through injuries because of the lack of main event power. Sure... working through a leg injury (for example) is unlikely to kill you, but in the long run it won't do your general health any good, and it ain't gonna heal overnight if you're constantly having to push yourself in the ring.

07-02-2007, 12:04 PM
WWE should lighten their schedule as well. Don't a lot of wrestlers get addicted to painkillers etc because their bodies are so sore?

And some wrestlers (Umaga?) are currently working through injuries because of the lack of main event power. Sure... working through a leg injury (for example) is unlikely to kill you, but in the long run it won't do your general health any good, and it ain't gonna heal overnight if you're constantly having to push yourself in the ring.

As far as I'm concerned, there are two things that can be done right now (For the WWE). Unfortunately, you can't save people from themselves, but you can create better working conditions, as well as put measures into place that will 'ensure' the health of your atheletes when it comes to drug abuse.

1. Put a real substance abuse program into operation.
2. Lighten the road schedule.

Ultimately, the choice to take drugs is that of the individual, however, many athletes take them to help their body heal quicker. Also, a substance abuse policy...and a 'real,' enforced one, will make sure that individuals get the help they need, and also make sure that the WWE is NOT spotlighting individuals who are bound to draw negative media attention due to drug abuse or steroids.

Domestic abuse, and other personal issues are obviously nothing the WWE can control, but they CAN distance themselves from being a possible source of the problem, while ensuring the wellness of their athletes as well.

*shrug*

Few house shows means less money and less exposure in local markets, however, so reducing the schedule may never happen.

The current Wellness policy is a joke and is only generally accepted because wrestling is not a competetive sport like baseball or football. (Sorry some people, but it isn't)

Meh. It's a tough situation.

YOUR Hero
07-02-2007, 01:15 PM
They need a player's union or some sort of co-operative. Seriously, these guys are working far too much under terrible conditions. This leads to the inevitable.

Kane Knight
07-02-2007, 02:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there are two things that can be done right now (For the WWE). Unfortunately, you can't save people from themselves, but you can create better working conditions, as well as put measures into place that will 'ensure' the health of your atheletes when it comes to drug abuse.

1. Put a real substance abuse program into operation.
2. Lighten the road schedule.

Ultimately, the choice to take drugs is that of the individual, however, many athletes take them to help their body heal quicker. Also, a substance abuse policy...and a 'real,' enforced one, will make sure that individuals get the help they need, and also make sure that the WWE is NOT spotlighting individuals who are bound to draw negative media attention due to drug abuse or steroids.

Domestic abuse, and other personal issues are obviously nothing the WWE can control, but they CAN distance themselves from being a possible source of the problem, while ensuring the wellness of their athletes as well.

*shrug*

Few house shows means less money and less exposure in local markets, however, so reducing the schedule may never happen.

The current Wellness policy is a joke and is only generally accepted because wrestling is not a competetive sport like baseball or football. (Sorry some people, but it isn't)

Meh. It's a tough situation.

I think they should take it a step further than the wellness program was supposed to go. They were really only concerned with drugs, and even then, on paper only. But were they concerned with drugs, really, they'd only be addressing part of the problem. Now, a lighter work schedule (Which would have detrimental effects on WWE, I admit) will also help. But someone needs to be paying attention to their workers. I remember Perry Saturn wigging out on a fan. There have been a couple similar reports recently. When people snap, it's rarely for no reason.

Might an ounce of prevention be worth a pound of cure? WWE's stock is taking a hit again, in light of the new controversy. Wouldn't it be smart to avoid it in the first place? And to some extent, there's nothing you can do. They might not have been able to do anything about Chris. And Eddie was an addict before he was in WWE. But surely thye have their own equivalent. Probably several.

YOUR Hero
07-02-2007, 04:47 PM
The 'boss' can't be the only one is charge of making things better. Ultimately if the 'boss' is the only looking out for you, then his concerns and bottom line are going to trump the well being of the workers.

There 'should' be more wrestlers in the WWE, more titles and good writers, etc to spread the load. With more of everything, you don't run the same guys out week after week after week... The WWE is a real business, a real money maker, it needs to act like one and so do it's employees.

Loose Cannon
07-02-2007, 06:51 PM
That's the thing, there's so many wrestlers in the WWE as it is. You don't need 3 programs though to run things. Run one show and just change it up every couple of months.

YOUR Hero
07-02-2007, 07:38 PM
yep.
but they want to run every talent they have every week. I think it's a mistake. The wrestlers do what they do because if they didn't they'd be de-pushed, be fighting shit matches and doing 'hand birth' storylines.

Rob
07-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Vince will always push people with bodies. Nothing will change. Plus smaller guys who are borderline crusierweight will juice up so they won't be labeled in that division. Unless they are gonna pay for rehab and fire guys without caring if they go to TNA, nothing will change within WWE.

Mr. JL
07-03-2007, 07:04 AM
I think the only way to regulate and eliminate the problem in professional wrestling would for the government or the state athletic commisions to put in a drug testing system in place.

If you are caught with steroids or whatever in you're system, you will be banned from performing in any pro wrestling ring for a year or at least from the state you are caught in.
---
Realistically though, this will cost a fair amount of money and would be quite difficult to regulate on the independent side of the business. Then there is also a question of who will pay to keep such a system in place. The wrestlers? The promoters?

A lot of independent companies and independent wrestlers can BARELY stay afloat as it is... without having to pay for a drug testing system.