PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone who is considered "Good" need to be in the main event?

Xero
07-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Seriously? I'm always seeing "Shelton NEEDS to be in the main event" and "Val Venis SHOULD have main evented" (just examples) and it seems that people think that everyone who is worth a damn should be main eventers.

Not all of them NEED to be considered main eventers, and not all of them ever will. Sure, most of these guys could/should be used in main event runs during off (non-big Four) months, but at this point I think it's more important to fill the mid/upper-midcard with strong talent (obviously referring to WWE here).

The WWE has a fairly strong (granted there are some holes) main event scene. Booker, Cena, Michaels, Hunter, Batista, Edge, etc, and guys like Kennedy and Punk who are just starting their push to the top. I say it's time to focus to the midcard. Make the IC and US titles mean something.

Put them in the main event slot of RAW/SmackDown!. Put more time and emphases into developing the characters and storylines. Some of the guys may break out and become too big for the midcard, and that's when they should move up, but a lot of the guys, like Shelton, Carlito, Regal and Matt Hardy, while great talents, are better suited in the mid/upper midcard than in a permanent place at the top.

Like I said, these guys don't HAVE to stay out of the main event, they can get big feuds between big PPVs and maybe even hold a world title for a time, but once they come down from that it should only add more to their solid status in the midcard, not hurt what they were.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that not everyone will nor should be in a top spot and that the WWE has to make the midcard worth a shit instead of making it filler compared to the main event. And don't take that the wrong way, obviously the main event needs to be pushed the hardest, but it doesn't need to take up most of the show. Two, maybe three segments at most, not 4 main event caliber matches, two main event promos and three main event segments/skits with a midcard match and maybe a promo as filler.

Discuss/whatever.

Rammsteinmad
07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
I kinda agree, but the problem is most of these guys don't make it to the main event for weird/unknown reasons.

Let's consider Shelton Benjamin and Bobby Lashley. Both pretty much suck on the mic. Shelton's promos can interest me, but he's not Chris Jericho.

Both can wrestle. However, Lashley is by far nowhere near the in-ring level of a guy like Benjamin.

So, how do you prepare these guys for main event status? Groom them in the mid-card.

Shelton came to Raw and instantly scored two victories over Triple H. He won the Intercontinental title and ran with it. He had some great matches with Christian, Maven, Chris Jericho and Carlito.. Through out each fued he put on excellent matches. And was always over and receiving loud pops. And let's not forget his matches with people like Shawn Michaels, Rob Van Dam and Kurt Angle.

Lashely came to Smackdown and won the US title. He was in some mediocre fueds which not many people cared about, with the likes of King Booker, Finley and JBL. Although some good matches were produced, it was obvious he was being carried, and wasn't really over enough to be a main eventer just yet.

So who goes to the main event? Bobby Lashley.

Although I agree that not every good person should be a main eventer, it's more a case of, deserving, and ready, people are being knocked down.

Ask yourself, what would you rather see at the Great American Bash? Lashley VS Cena, or Benjamin VS Cena? Anyone who says Lashley VS Cena are only gonna complain afterwards that he was given the title too soon and isn't ready for it. People like Shelton Benjamin, Charlie Haas and Carlito (my 3 faves anyway) have proven time and time again that if given a main event spot they could run with it.

Xero
07-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I totally agree that Lashley is no where near good enough to even be considered for the main event and if I had to choose, I'd go Shelton/Cena without question.

I also agree that they're pushing wrestlers who do not deserve to be in the main event. With that said, I think Shelton is much more suited as a very solid upper midcarder than a main eventer.

IC Champion
07-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Maybe they should try being credible mid-carders first.

DAMN iNATOR
07-08-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm just wondering (and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one in here) just what the HELL are they trying to do to SmackDown! by having Edge face Kane at G.A.B.? I would hope that Edge will still hold the title after, but if not, SmackDown! will be even MORE of a disaster than it already is...

True Brit Grit
07-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I certainly agree with your argument, my biggest fear as to regards to guys like Shelton et al is that they aren't even being given that mid-card slot at the moment.

I agree that a decent work-ethic shouldn't get you a main event slot because there's more to it than knowing how to work, but I just think it's a shame that some of the better workers on the rosters aren't even getting first or second match of the night kind of time on PPVs and TVs, that was my main grouch.

I don't so much have a problem with the likes of Lashely bybassing other talent to get to the top because that's always been the way of it - I just think the lower mid-card could really do with some work, rather than just being main-eventers on stand-by.

KingofOldSchool
07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
IMO, Matt Hardy could be a good short term World Champion on Smackdown.

Mooияakeя™
07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Another angle that I look at is we really don't know what these guys would be like with a strap / in the main event area.

Again, take Lashley, he was hovering around SD for a while not much going on at all, just a mad 'roided black dude who gets "BAH GAWD LOOK AT THE IMPACT!" said each time he wrestles. - They sent him to ECW, now why it's not on the same level as RAW he didn't excite me or anyone I know of with the belt. Now he's gunning for it on RAW same there. So to me it just hasn't worked.

Yet for the people who say "Why should Benjamin be in the main event / Venis / Regal / <insert name here>" agreed, why should they be when they can be used as solid upper carders for a while feuding for a belt and lets see what they're like, then give them a chance in the main event and see what they're like. They really might up their game out ring / in ring / mic etc, or could be another Lashley.

The IC title could be so much more interesting that the WC scene. It's shocking to think maybe Vince knows this and isn't pushing the IC title right.

Loose Cannon
07-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Problem is too many guys are in the main event scene. I hate how you have 5 guys asking for Title shots. It's a big clusterfuck. But it's fucked these days anyway because the WWE pushes guys so fast. But what are they suppossed to do with 3 shows and 20+ PPV's a year? Everything is so fast now. You don't get drawn out feuds anymore. They have so many wrestlers to work with that they probably have no idea of how to book everybody.

07-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I agree, and have wondered this for a long, long time. Best post I've read in a long time. :y:

Kane Knight
07-08-2007, 06:25 PM
It is worth pointing out that if you're not main event, you don't get much time. Especially nowadays, with the lack of any attention to the midcard and TT scenes. It's a two tiered system: You're on top, or nobody gives a shit about you.

Honestly, I was happy with Val in the Midcard, but that was when the midcard wasn't another way of saying "You're worthless." And who doesn't want their guys getting TV time. Especially when we're being handed these shitty champions, people who can't get over as babyfaces, but are crammed down our throats.

You start to thinking, "This guy sucks. My guy is better."

Xero
07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
It is worth pointing out that if you're not main event, you don't get much time. Especially nowadays, with the lack of any attention to the midcard and TT scenes. It's a two tiered system: You're on top, or nobody gives a shit about you.

Honestly, I was happy with Val in the Midcard, but that was when the midcard wasn't another way of saying "You're worthless." And who doesn't want their guys getting TV time. Especially when we're being handed these shitty champions, people who can't get over as babyfaces, but are crammed down our throats.

You start to thinking, "This guy sucks. My guy is better."
Yeah, WWE really does need to restructure their shit (which was one of my points). At this point, because they have so much "top" talent (Guys they have pushed wrong/too early/too late/whatever), it's more like they have multiple main event tiers and the "fuck off" tier.

XL
07-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Totally agree with the above here.

There's Main Event or filler.

Mr. Nerfect
07-08-2007, 07:02 PM
It's not that every guys needs to be a main eventer, it's just that the more talented guys are on the bottom, and the shit floats to the top. John Cena, Batista, Bobby Lashley and Randy Orton should all arguably be mid-carders. I'd be happy if I never saw The Great Khali or Mark Henry near a main event match. There, you have five guys to replace with talented guys like Shelton Benjamin, Charlie Haas, Val Venis, Matt Hardy and Carlito.

Kane Knight hit the nail on the head. The WWE doesn't give a shit about its mid-card today. Especially Stephanie McMahon, who I believe told her writers to stop writing for the mid-card and focus mainly on the main event scene.

On RAW this past week, Val Venis and Shelton Benjamin proved that they are just more entertaining than John Cena. At least to me, anyway. Venis had a nice little outing with King Booker, where he managed to perk the fans interest with some well-timed strikes, and Shelton is criminally underrated in the personality department. His scene with King Booker was great.

It's not so much that they need to be main eventers, as it is that they are deserving of being main eventers. Especially when the guys at the top don't.

Kane Knight
07-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Lashley and Cena and Orton just aren't done yet. Sadly, they pulled them out too soon, and figured nobody would notice. Now we've all got food poisoning, and they figure the damage is already done.

The problem is, they should have been developiong people 5 years ago, when they had a worthwhile main event. I don't like Edge, but at least he's been developed. I don't think he's worthwhile, but probably more worth the while than rushjobs like Cena and Orton.

hb2k
07-09-2007, 04:14 PM
If anyone thinks Val Venis should be in main events, then they need to pad their walls.

Mooияakeя™
07-09-2007, 04:27 PM
If anyone thinks Val Venis should be in main events, then they need to pad their walls.

Bollocks.

He can easily pull it off. If fucking Lashley can, anyone can. Look at the State things are in. Hell, at one point I'd consider an IC title shot a main event match, now it's more use in dark matches.

Xero
07-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Bollocks.

He can easily pull it off. If fucking Lashley can, anyone can.
So you're actually saying that Lashley is "pulling off" being a main eventer? There's doing something, and succeeding in something.

Frankly, I'd rather watch Lashley in the main event than Venis at this point. His credibility is completely gone.

Xero
07-09-2007, 04:34 PM
It's not so much that they need to be main eventers, as it is that they are deserving of being main eventers. Especially when the guys at the top don't.
Hardcore Holly 'deserved' his World Title Shot/main event. He never should have got it, but he did because he's exactly what Venis is, enhancement talent that just so happened to be in the company for a long time.

I don't think putting a token veteran in the main event is good, especially when they've been shit on for so long. You can fantasy book all you want, but the fact is that guys like Holly and Venis hurt/would hurt the world title a shitload more than a Lashley does. If Venis wasn't a jobber for so long it would be different, but the fact is that jobbers are looked down upon by most of the fans that matter (aka casual/hardcore casual fans) and would not be bought no matter what they did for them and how they are pushed.

Fuck, let's put Funaki in a world title feud! He's been with them long enough and is a great talent! Should it happen? Fuck no.

DAMN iNATOR
07-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Fuck, let's put Funaki in a world title feud! He's been with them long enough and is a great talent! Should it happen? Fuck no.

But will it happen in the future, all due respect to you Xero, because you gave the SD! writers an idea to toy with? Probably...

Kane Knight
07-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Bollocks.

He can easily pull it off. If fucking Lashley can, anyone can. Look at the State things are in. Hell, at one point I'd consider an IC title shot a main event match, now it's more use in dark matches.

But Lashley shouldn't. Yoru logic is, "the main event sucks what more can it hurt to add more lackluster fuel?"

Xero
07-09-2007, 07:07 PM
But will it happen in the future, all due respect to you Xero, because you gave the SD! writers an idea to toy with? Probably...
The day SmackDown! puts Funaki in the main event is the day that Triple H, Batista, Mark Henry, Great Khali, Umaga, Randy Orton, Ric Flair and CM Punk all have career-ending injures.

Stickman
07-10-2007, 12:50 PM
"Why does everyone who is considered "Good" need to be in the main event?"

Good question but simple. Credibility. Most guys in the Main Event are Green. They make a tonne of mistakes and aren't interesting, and cant' carry a decent match. Throw somebody good up there and they can make it believable and entertaining. Bobby Lashley is only there because of how big he is. Guys who can't speak are being pushed, why? Umaga, Lashley, Kahli don't speak and it's uninteresting. Throw a good worker up there with charisma and people will care.

Mooияakeя™
07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
But Lashley shouldn't. Yoru logic is, "the main event sucks what more can it hurt to add more lackluster fuel?"

I meant that if they can put Lashley in the main event with the barely visable reactions then why not VV. They even chucked Hardy in with him this week to get a big face pop.

Agreed he's getting more of a reaction every week, but anyone would if u thrust them down ur throat like WWE is.

Maybe "pull it off" was the wrong word. Above explains more.

DAMN iNATOR
07-10-2007, 04:09 PM
The day SmackDown! puts Funaki in the main event is the day that Triple H, Batista, Mark Henry, Great Khali, Umaga, Randy Orton, Ric Flair and CM Punk all have career-ending injures.

You forgot to mention that it will also be the day when Hell freezes over, we are visited by Martians, and the end of the Earth as we know it all happen.:D

loosecollector
07-11-2007, 04:20 AM
For the average fan...
They will pay to see Cena vs. Lashley that Val vs. Shelton.
Just an observation.