PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Terms in a Dictionary...

Xero
07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah, so apparently "Smackdown" has been added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, defined as "a contest in entertainment wrestling."

Let's think up some more terms that would go into the dictionary and their definitions...

Undertaker: Undead See: Zombie

Khali: One who does not speak coherently; Giant.

Lita: See: AIDS

Continue...

Pepsi Man
07-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Lita: See: AIDS
Wouldn't this be fit for a Thesaurus?

JT
07-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Jobber: One who constantly loses to make others look better ***Picture of Steven Richards next to word***

Xero
07-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Wouldn't this be fit for a Thesaurus?

Guess so. :shifty:

Pepsi Man
07-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Guess so. :shifty:
I mean, it IS Lita...

JT
07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Austin: 1.) (Pro-Noun)A professional wrestler who rose to popularity in the late 1990's. 2.) (verb) To walk out at an important time because things do not go your way. 3.) (verb) To hit one's spouce (also see Domestic Abuse)

Kane Knight
07-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Lita: a large, flightless, ratite bird, Emu (Dromaius) novaehollandiae, of Australia, resembling the ostrich but smaller and having a feathered head and neck and rudimentary wings. <hr class="ety">[Origin: 1605–15; earlier emeu (in earliest E source emia, eme), ult. < Pg ema, attested in 1541 as a name for the cassowary (further orig. obscure); the replacement of -a by -eu, etc., is unexplainedhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.png]
---

See what I did there?

PepperCarrotMan
07-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Main Entry: show
Pronunciation: 'shO
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): showed /'shOd/; shown /'shOn /; or showed; show·ing
Etymology: Middle English shewen, showen, from Old English scEawian to look, look at, see; akin to Old High German scouwOn to look, look at, and probably to Latin cavEre to be on one's guard
transitive verb
1 : to cause or permit to be seen : EXHIBIT <showed pictures of the baby>
2 : to offer for sale <stores were showing new spring suits>
3 : to present as a public spectacle : PERFORM
4 : to reveal by one's condition, nature, or behavior <showed themselves to be cowards>
5 : to give indication or record of <an anemometer shows wind speed>
6 a : to point out : direct attention to <showed the view from the terrace> b : CONDUCT, USHER <showed me to an aisle seat>
7 : ACCORD, BESTOW <shows them no mercy>
8 a : to set forth : DECLARE b : ALLEGE, PLEAD -- used especially in law <show cause>
9 a : to demonstrate or establish by argument or reasoning <show a plan to be faulty> b : INFORM, INSTRUCT <showed me how to solve the problem>
10 : to present (an animal) for judging in a show
intransitive verb
1 a : to be or come in view <3:15 showed on the clock> b : to put in an appearance <failed to show>
2 a : to appear in a particular way <anger showed in their faces> b : SEEM, APPEAR
3 a : to give a theatrical performance b : to be staged or presented
4 a : to appear as a contestant b : to present an animal in a show
5 : to finish third or at least third (as in a horse race)
6 : to exhibit one's artistic work
7 : Steven Richards will show you. You'll see!