PDA

View Full Version : Organization of Matches on Cards

Mr. JL
07-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I was just watching some old WWF Attitude era tapes and compared them to the WWE of today. The one think I found striking was the organization of the matches.

Back in the Attitude era days ('98-'01) the matches progressed evenly. The guys being viewed as 'openers' and 'lower midcarders' would have the first matches of the night. Then as the show progressed, the matches would then consist of the guys viewed as 'midcarders' and 'upper midcarders' that fill in the middle of the show. Then, towards the end of the night 'main event' level guys would have their matches.

***I prefer this style because the show flows very well and it progresses into the better matches and segments. Every segment and match gets better and better.

---

Nowadays, I noticed how the structure has completely changed. The WWE usually start of the show with a 'midcard' or 'upper midcard' level match. Then they have a few 'lower midcard' level matches. Then in the middle of the show they have another 'upper midcarder' or even a 'main event' level match. Then they scale back down to a 'midcard' match. Then throw in another 'upper midcard' or 'main event' level match. Then they throw in a 'lower midcard or 'midcard' level match. Then they usually end the show with another 'main event' level match.

***This style is too roller coaster like for me. They start the show off hot. Then the buzz dies right down with some low level matches. Then it shoots right back up again with a high end match. Then it drops back down. Then up again. Then down again with a 'midcard' match and then they end off high with a 'main event' level calibur match (in the theory at least).

Which style do you all prefer Or does it even matter to you either way?

NeanderCarl
07-14-2007, 08:29 PM
I prefer a nice, exciting match to kick off the show between two guys who can actually work and who are over... upper midcarders, perhaps an IC title match. Then put your filler in whatever order you like, randomize it, don't let it get too formulaic... then a main event. That'll do.

Corkscrewed
07-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I go for a mixture. Start it off with a hot match. It doesn't have to be upper or lower, persay, just a match that will get the crowd going. You'll need a cool-off after that anyway, so from there, THEN you go in order and progress from lower card to main eventers.

Jordan
07-14-2007, 09:54 PM
I like how they do it now.

mrslackalack
07-14-2007, 10:26 PM
I think every match should start off with a great opener. (great tech match with like a Finlay or Regal in it or a CW title match) and then bulid up important match after important match till your ME.

mrslackalack
07-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Sometimes things have been done on PPVs that have made me stratch my head. Can you believe that at NWA Music City Showdown 89 that they put the Ric Flair/Ricky Steamboat ''Greatest Match Ever'' in the middle of the card???????? A tag team match was the ME!

XL
07-15-2007, 06:38 AM
I think the reason they don't do the building from lower card to ME match style is to keep interest in the show as a whole.

If you know the first half hour is ful of lower card guys (that the WWE neglects for the most part) why would you watch?

Back in the Attitude Era the WWF put more emphasis on it's lower card guys people wouldn't wanna miss a minute of programming. Nowadays you can tune in for the last half hour and see everything important.

Mr. Nerfect
07-15-2007, 09:13 AM
I think the reason they don't do the building from lower card to ME match style is to keep interest in the show as a whole.

If you know the first half hour is ful of lower card guys (that the WWE neglects for the most part) why would you watch?

Back in the Attitude Era the WWF put more emphasis on it's lower card guys people wouldn't wanna miss a minute of programming. Nowadays you can tune in for the last half hour and see everything important.

Well, you see, there's the problem. The fact is back in the day, acts like Val Venis would have purpose and entertain people. Nowadays if you're not main eventing, you mean nothing.

I'd prefer for the shows to open either with a good match, or an interesting segment. The ideal start for RAW, at least to me, is to have Paul London & Brian Kendrick face The World's Greatest Tag Team in a tag team match. It doesn't contain main event guys, and it would be a damn fine match. I do have a soft spot for segments which create a theme for the night. If the opening segment of the show pays off in a main event, I guess everything makes sense. However, these segments can be placed anyway, so I'd go with the good match to start off.

NoRoolz
07-15-2007, 02:09 PM
I dunno if they used to always start with lower-midcarders. I seem to remember the Hardy Boyz opening several PPV's - unless you count them as lower midcarders?

I do know what you mean though, now the opening match is usually a midcard/upper midcard singles match.

True Brit Grit
07-15-2007, 03:14 PM

Mr. Pierre
07-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I like to see a quicker paced match to kick off the show, whether it's a tag match or a mid-card match. I think the matches with the least amount of heat (usually the women's matches) should go on right after an exciting opener, so the crowd could be a bit into it. I hate when they plug in a garbage match right before the main event.

I guess I'll go ahead and place the GAB matches in an order that I would like to see them in:

1) US Title - MVP v. Matt Hardy
2) Women's Title - Candice v. Melina
3) ECW Championship - Johnny Nitro v. CM Punk
4) Texas Bullrope Match - Randy Orton v. Dusty Rhodes
5) Batista v. Khali
6) World Heavyweight Championship - Edge v. Kane
7) WWE Championship - John Cena v. Bobby Lashley