PDA

View Full Version : Turn Back the Clock: The Nasty Boys

Loose Cannon
07-16-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/n/nastyboys/02.jpg

Tag Team wrestling was a a main attraction to wrestling companies back in the 80's and early 90's. You had a number of great athletically and technically sound teams giving the fans 3-5 star matches all over arenas. But sometimes there were teams that didn't get over because they were great athletes. They didn't get over because they were well rounded wrestlers. For those who didn't possess those kind of traits, they had to go elsewhere. They had to be a little bit different and find something else to attract an audience. The Nasty Boys were that kind of team.

The Nasty Boys started out wrestling in the AWA in the mid 80's. They certainly had a unique look, which was always a good thing in wrestling at that time. That's something I miss in wrestling today and one of the reasons I'm a huge Trevor Murdoch fan. The Nasty Boys had some crazy mullets going on, were fat slobs, had missing teeth and some of the ugliest mugs you'd ever see. You really believed these two guys were just out looking for a fight and they were good at it.

If you watched the Nasty Boys back then, you know they weren't the greatest wrestlers. They came at you hard and they came to brawl. They were extremely stiff workers in the ring and just pounded you. They had one classic spot called the "Pit Stop," which looking back was very original and made for a great spot, but watching it back then was just nasty. If you put them with a team like the Harts or the Rockers, you could pull a good wrestling match out of them. If you put them with Maxx Payne and Cactus Jack, you were going to get an awesome brawl.

After the AWA, the Nasty Boys had a successful run in Florida capturing the Tag Titles a number of times. They briefly went to WCW and feuded with the Steiner Brothers before heading to the WWE and receiving a nice push. In 1991, they entered the WWF and were pushed as the top heel tag team right off the bat. They won a battle royal to face the Hart Foundation at Wrestlemania 7 for the Tag Team Titles.

WrestleMania 7 is probably my most memorable Nasty Boy moment. I loved the Hart Foundation. My favorite team of all-time. When it was all said and done and the Nasty Boys had gold around thier wasit, I was shocked and I remember being so mad that the ref didn't see Sags hit Anvil with the Megaphone. I can see myself right now screaming for him to turn around. Never the less, although the match may have not of been a wreslting classic, it was very enjoyable. Jimmy Hart was great during the whole thing. I still hold that match as one of my favorite Mania matches ever.

The Nasty Boys woul hold on to the Tag Titles for a little while until Summerslam 1991. The Legion of Doom were pretty hot at this point and just ran right through the Nasty Boys at Summerslam and won the straps. After the loss, the Nasty Boys never regained the Tag Titles and were soon bumped off the top heel tag team spot. They would leave the WWF around 1992 and resurface in WCW again soon after.

In their second stint in WCW, they had much better success. They would capture the tag titles 3 times and would feud with teams like Harlem Heat, Anderson and Roma, and Cactus Jack/Kevin Sullivan/Maxx Payne. The feuds with the latter combination will be what the Nasty Boys were most remembered for during that time. They had some awesome brawls with Jack, Sullivan and Payne. The fights were very stiff and they literally just beat the shit out of each other. But the crowds loved it. This would be the last time the Nasty Boys recieved any sort of push as they soon would begin to fade way.

The last memorable wrestling moment that the Nasty Boys were a part of was during the nWo boom in 1996. On an episode of Nitro the New World Order invited the Nasty Boys to join the group, but when it came time to officially join and put on the shirts, the nWo attacked them and laid them out. Soon afterwards, Sags retured and Knobbs would return to compete in the WCW Hardcore division later on.

As we watch today and see the state of tag wrestling, it's sad to think of what it once was. The Nasty Boys, though not the best workers, were one of the most colorful tag teams ever produced. They were great on interviews, had a great look, and played thier characters perfectly. They were from Allentown, PA and they were going to hurt you if you crossed them. It was that simple. The Nasty Boys will always have a place in wrestling history and maybe one day we might get to see them "Nastisize" the Hall of Fame.

Impeccable
07-16-2007, 10:13 AM
I still have the Wrestlemania album which has solos from various wrestlers (released back in 1992/3). The Nasty Boys song was always one of my favourites.

I remember the nasty boys turning face in late 1992 on WWF television and even though I was 9, it didn't really make much sense to me that a team called Nasty Boys would be faces.

Another great piece LC.

07-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Who can forget rubbing the opponents face in their armpits?

"THAT'S Nasty baby!"

Disturbed316
07-16-2007, 11:09 AM
The Pitstop :cool:

Mooияakeя™
07-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Who can forget rubbing the opponents face in their armpits?

Bushwhackers? Where? Oh... i get ya! *DOH* ;)

Stickman
07-16-2007, 01:04 PM
I hated those guys but actually cared about them (cuz they played heels perfectly). I miss good colourful tag teams.

True Brit Grit
07-16-2007, 01:21 PM
These articles fill me with joy. Jimmy Hart's motorcycle helmet at Mania 7 was legendary.

addy2hotty
07-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Used to like the Nasty's. Shame their feud with Money Inc never really finished - I remember being properly invested in that one.

They had great theme music too - need to get that for my phone.

Vastardikai
07-17-2007, 02:31 AM
I remember their first WWF match, they had a different theme, Slick was managing them, and Vince McMahon spent half the match calling them "Knobbs and Skaggs." I was like :wtf:. Near the end, they realized it was Saggs. lmfao.

Next appearance, they had the current theme and Jimmy was managing them.

mrslackalack
07-17-2007, 10:42 AM
WWF must have been high on them because they won the WWF tag title not long after their debut after not winning the tag titles in AWA and WCW.