PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION: Painkillers in pro wrestling

The Naitch
07-29-2007, 09:03 PM
I've taken Purcocets and diulodans in the past, but they just make me tired

Now with guys like Kurt Angle, what else are they taking with these painkillers? Or do they just take them after their match? When do wrestlers actually take them? In my experience, they knock me out, so if I were to perform in the ring, I guess I gotta take roids or some sort of upper to counterbalance the painkillers?

DISCUSS

IC Champion
07-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Does Soma Joe count?

The Naitch
07-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Part of the reason Kurt Angle was released was because of his dependency on pain killers. Now, in wake of the Chris Benoit tragedy, wrestlers are becoming concerned about Kurt Angle's use of pain killers. Wrestlers have reported that after matches Kurt Angle is barely coherent when he speaks because he mumbles so much which could be from the high doses of pain medications Angle consumes. One wrestler said, "something is going to happen to Kurt Angle and this company is going to feel terrible that they didn't do anything

The Naitch
07-29-2007, 09:15 PM
last time I took 3 purks, then waited for it to kick in around 45 mins, didn't feel much, only a little. Had a beer then it really kicked in. Felt tired as hell, was annoyed by this idiot at the bar who thought he was sweet shit, wanted to go home, got home, went to bed, but couldn't actually fall asleep. Kept scratching myself. Side effects include itchyness, constipation, difficulty urinating

I can't understand how people get addicted to this stuff

IC Champion
07-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Crazy people do crazy things.

Jeritron
07-29-2007, 10:02 PM
yea, you're missing a big part of it. You're taking the pills in normal doses in a normal method.

Try bumping one. Then try doing that like 30 times a day. I know about the first, not the latter. But either way, I'm pretty sure this is what would be going on and the effects are much greater

Kane Knight
07-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Some of these guys pop them like candy. Which I cannot imagine. Just :|. That shit will fuck you up in a lot of ways.

Fox
07-29-2007, 11:41 PM
It starts when you're green. The human body is not readily capable of taking the hard bumps on the mat or on the floor that professional wrestlers put themselves through. So you train awhile. You're sore. You're tired. But you stick it through with some ibuprofen and asprin; maybe some weed. You're okay.

You make it to the big-time. Your a WWE superstar, wrestling on the road 180-200 days a year, taking those bumps every single one of those 180-200 days. The body becomes worn. Surely, as with anything, repetition causes the body to become more used to the pain and the soreness. But only so much.

It starts with a few pain killers after your match because your fucking back is in so much pain and has turned shades of purple. A wrestler finds that the pain killers, incredibly, dull the numbing pain enough to make it to the next flight or road trip to the next show.

Eventually, the body is so tired, so beaten, you start taking pain killers BEFORE your matches too, just to get through the pain. So you're taking pain killers before the matches to wear down the soreness from the other 179-199 days on the road, and you take one after to deal with the pain from the wrestled match.

The body builds up a tolerance; more to the painkillers than to the actual pain. With more and more wrestling, with more and more time on the road without time off (as wrestlers tend to do, sometimes for years at a time), the body gets more and more sore and more and more worn down. You start having to pop a pill just to get up in the moring (the ones taken the night before, to help you fall asleep, have worn off over night and the pain upon waking is unbearable).

But what options do you have? You can't wrestle a live match on TV in this much pain. You have to numb it out for that 10-15 minutes. Vince expects you to go out and perform. So you take the pill.

And the pattern continues, evermore, leading to so many early deaths for professional wrestlers.

Vastardikai
07-30-2007, 12:38 AM
^

Well, getting off Pain Killers when you're addicted to them is just as deadly.