PDA

View Full Version : Is there a place for BIG men in wrestling?

Mr. JL
02-29-2004, 12:08 PM
.....Outside of the WWE?

From what I've seen, and its very little I might add, that the indy's has more cruiserweights than it does of BIG men. Is this going to be the new trend in the wrestling business?

Like, before in the good old days, the bigger you were, the bigger your draw would be. Smaller guys had next to no place in the wrestling business. And had an even smaller draw. Though the times are changing, and now the smaller guys in the business have become the main eventers, while the big men have become the opening match or whatever.

Is there a market for guys like the A-Train, Matt Morgan, Nathan Jones, Mark Henry in the indy scene?

The CyNick
02-29-2004, 12:50 PM
There should be.

If you look at how Heyman worked his promotion, its clear that a well placed big man or two can have a positive impact. Most of the indy workers are smallish, so a guy even like 6'5+ (ala Mike Awesome) will look like a monster. The key is booking. You have to book the big guy to work and sell like a big guy. He can dominate through the roster for a time, and then eventually you get some super babyface to climb the mountain and beat him against all odds. Its a simple concept, that can be very effective if done with the right guys and done in the right way.

BigDaddyCool
02-29-2004, 01:15 PM
There should be.

If you look at how Heyman worked his promotion, its clear that a well placed big man or two can have a positive impact. Most of the indy workers are smallish, so a guy even like 6'5+ (ala Mike Awesome) will look like a monster. The key is booking. You have to book the big guy to work and sell like a big guy. He can dominate through the roster for a time, and then eventually you get some super babyface to climb the mountain and beat him against all odds. Its a simple concept, that can be very effective if done with the right guys and done in the right way.

Such at Taz beating Bam Bam Bigelo.

Kane Knight
02-29-2004, 02:09 PM
That dpends on the big man.

Corkscrewed
02-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Sure there's a place... in the gutter! *lame guffaw*

Actually, I agree a lot with Cynic. You can have just about anything if you book it correctly. It's just that some scenarios are a lot harder to book than others. However, a big guy can be used as a measuring stick. He hovers on the lower end of the main event and puts guys over. Occassionally, he gets over himself, and when his time is done, he goes back to crushing most people but putting over future stars.

Mikey
02-29-2004, 05:53 PM
I agree with CyNick

Mr. JL
02-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Yeah, The CyNick said it SO well.

I remember when Mike Awesome was the man in ECW and everyone thought he was something big. But once he detached himself from Heyman, his career really went down hill.

Ian
02-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Mike Awesome Vs Spike Dudley.

6to1
02-29-2004, 07:00 PM
Sure there's a place... in the gutter! *lame guffaw*

Actually, I agree a lot with Cynic. You can have just about anything if you book it correctly. It's just that some scenarios are a lot harder to book than others. However, a big guy can be used as a measuring stick. He hovers on the lower end of the main event and puts guys over. Occassionally, he gets over himself, and when his time is done, he goes back to crushing most people but putting over future stars.
you just described big shows role get the upper mid-cards over for the big time. thats what brock over 1st he f5ed the big show then there was when they broke the ring. then he put over john cena.

Shaggy
02-29-2004, 09:18 PM
I think big men will always have there spot because there are just as good as the cruiserweights. Sure they cant fly, but they can be used to throw people around like little rag dolls. There always needs to be a place for big men cause then we can see little guys defeat the odds. Remember when it was Little Rey vs Nash and Rey won. It just makes it seem different. Here you have a guy who wouldnt stand a chance against a guy who is taller and stronger than him. Then you set it up that the little guy wins and fans cant believe it. With out big men around there would be not place for that.

Innovator
02-29-2004, 09:49 PM
I think most of the new guys need to learn how to work a match and tell a story through the match. Honestly Kane and Taker have been around for over a decade and can have decent matches. If Matt Morgan can learn to work really well and gets a decent gimmick I see him being huge in a couple years.

Mr. JL
02-29-2004, 11:12 PM
I think most of the new guys need to learn how to work a match and tell a story through the match. Honestly Kane and Taker have been around for over a decade and can have decent matches. If Matt Morgan can learn to work really well and gets a decent gimmick I see him being huge in a couple years.
Yeah, so far I have not seen Matt Morgan mess up any moves like most big guys tend to do. It looks like he's got the skills but he needs a gimmick to set him apart from the rest.

Kane Knight
02-29-2004, 11:26 PM

This is true. The problem is with the WWE's philosophy.

Being big gives you a free ticket.

Personally, I think if you're a good wrestler, or a good entertainer at least, I don't care what size you are. Foley was entertaining, even though he wasn't a Bret Hart or Lance Storm.

Kane's pretty good, Taker's winding down but had his day. Big Show, on the other hand, is an example of someone who is so un-untertaining I want to stab something because I can't change the channel fast enough. Then again, in fairness, so is Bob Holly, and he's hardly a hoss.

John la Rock
02-29-2004, 11:40 PM
That dpends on the big man.

Innovator
03-01-2004, 12:01 AM
It's all about the psychology missing in matches these days. Since most matches are scripted nowadays theres no real psychology going on anymore. I mean I saw a match between Harley Race and another guy and Harley Race had the crowd going nuts over an armbar. To me it doesn't matter how big you are, if you can telling the story through the match and use ring psychology, it doesn't matter if you're 5'8 or 7'2