PDA

View Full Version : PWG battle of Los Angeles (ongoing night 3 results)

thecc
08-31-2007, 10:11 PM
So this weekend PWG will be having their yearly bola tournament and I figured I'd try to cover it for the 4 or 5 people on here who are interested.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jhcnFAgWEjo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jhcnFAgWEjo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

PWG Battle Of Los Angeles 2007 Night 1
8/31/07 - Burbank, CA
-Bryan Danielson cut a promo stating he will defend the PWG World Title against the winner of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament at the next show. The 24 competitors in the tournament came out for a photo-op.
1. Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson defeated Phoenix Star and Zokre.
2. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: Joey Ryan defeated Chris Hero via Reverse Decision to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament. Hero originally had the match won following the Hero's Welcome, but the referee saw brass knuckles on Hero's hand (which were never used by Hero and interjected into the match by Scott Lost) when raising his hand, resulting in him reversing his original decision.
3. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: Roderick Strong defeated Austin Aries with a small package to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
4. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: Matt Sydal defeated Jimmy Rave with the Shooting Sydal Press to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
5. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: Alex Shelley defeated Tyler Black with the Shiranui to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
Intermission
6. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: Claudio Castagnoli defeated Doug Williams with a powerbomb out of a roll-up sequence to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
7. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: PAC defeated Jack Evans with the Twisting Shooting Star Press to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
8. PWG World Tag Team Title Match: Kevin Steen and El Generico defeated Susumu Yokosuka and Dragon Kid following a Package Piledriver/Brainbuster Combo to retain the PWG World Tag Team Titles.

PWG Battle Of Los Angeles 2007 Night 2
9/1/07 - Burbank, CA
1. Ronin and TJ Perkins defeated Karl Anderson and Bino Gambino when Ronin pinned Gambino following a Death Valley Driver.
2. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: CIMA defeated The Human Tornado following interference from Candace LaRae to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament. Post-match, Tornado hit LaRae with 2 Dat n**** Deads and then locks her in the Crippler Crossface. Chris Hero comes out through the crowd for the save and brawls with Tornado.
3. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: SHINO defeated Scott Lost to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
4. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: Necro Butcher defeated Kevin Steen with an Oklahoma Roll to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
Intermission
5. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: Nigel McGuinness defeated Davey Richards following the Jawbreaker Lariat to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
6. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: El Generico defeated Tony Kozina following a Brainbuster to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
7. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament First Round: Dragon Kid defeated Susumu Yokosuka with the Dragon Rana to advance to the Quarter-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.

PWG Battle Of Los Angeles 2007 Night 3
9/2/07 - Burbank, CA
1. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Quarter-Finals: Roderick Strong defeated Joey Ryan via submission with the Stronghold to advance to the Semi-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
2. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Quarter-Finals: Alex Shelley defeated Matt Sydal following It Came From Japan to advance to the Semi-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
3. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Quarter-Finals: PAC defeated Claudio Castagnoli following the Corkscrew Shooting Star Press to advance to the Semi-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
4. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Quarter-Finals: CIMA defeated SHINGO with the fanciest roll-up ever to advance to the Semi-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
5. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Quarter-Finals: Nigel McGuinness defeated Necro Butcher following the Jawbreaker Lariat to advance to the Semi-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
6. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Quarter-Finals: El Generico defeated Dragon Kid following the Turnbuckle Brainbuster to advance to the Semi-Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
Intermission
7. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Semi-Finals: Roderick Strong defeated Alex Shelley following the Gibson Driver to advance to the Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
8. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Semi-Finals: CIMA defeated PAC following an Avalanche Schwein to advance to the Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
9. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Semi-Finals: El Generico defated Nigel McGuinness with a school boy roll-up after ducking the Jawbreaker Lariat to advance to the Finals of the Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament.
10. Chris Hero, Kevin Steen, Tyler Black, Doug Williams, Susumu Yokosuka and Jack Evans defeated Austin Aries, Jimmy Rave, The Human Tornado, Scott Lost, Davey Richards and Karl Anderson when Hero pinned Tornado with a backslide.
11. Battle Of Los Angeles Tournament Finals, Three Way Dance: CIMA defeated Roderick Strong and El Generico to become the 2007 Battle Of Los Angeles Champion.
a) CIMA eliminated El Generico following a Brainbuster and the Schwein.
b) CIMA eliminated Roderick Strong following the Crossfire.
Post-match, Bryan Danielson presents CIMA with the trophy and challenges him. CIMA says to fight right then and there, but then reconsiders and agrees to fight Bryan when he is at 100%. He then cuts a hard to understand promo putting over PWG and leading the crowd in a PWG chant.

Results thanks to T-mack from czwfans.com

Fignuts
08-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Looks pretty awesome. Also, I must see CIMA vs Human Tornado.

Super V
08-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I used to love PWG till their last show. Really bad feeling about the developments that transpired there.

IC Champion
08-31-2007, 10:23 PM
What happened?

Super V
08-31-2007, 10:25 PM
It became ROH pretty much. Bryan Danielsen won the belt from El Generico after beating The Necro Butcher.

thecc
08-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Buttttt El Generico & Kevin Steen won the tag title too so it's all good.

thecc
08-31-2007, 10:29 PM
also

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/okxpY8MekA4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/okxpY8MekA4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Super V
08-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Buttttt El Generico & Kevin Steen won the tag title too so it's all good.Even still, I am hoping for a very short title reign for Danielson

Jordan
08-31-2007, 10:58 PM
That looks amazing... I may buy the dvd.

The One
08-31-2007, 11:32 PM
I was almost going to go to this years BoLA...

I have officially added nothing to this conversation by telling you all that.

Xero
08-31-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, if The One isn't going, I'm not.

I have officially responded to The One's post and, in turn, made his post add something to this conversation.

IC Champion
08-31-2007, 11:35 PM
I guess I won't be flying down to LA anymore, thanks ToVo.

alvarado52
08-31-2007, 11:38 PM
oh shit, are tickets still available?

thecc
08-31-2007, 11:43 PM
I believe tickets for night 3 are still available but I'd email PWG just in case.

support@prowrestlingguerrilla.com

Mr. Nerfect
09-01-2007, 12:14 AM
It's independent wrestling, it must be shitty.

Battle of Los Angeles is something that is just worth looking forward to, though. People probably won't care, but here are my predictions for the tournament. We'll see how close I come.

Block A:
* Chris Hero defeats Joey Ryan
* Roderick Strong defeats Austin Aries
* Matt Sydal defeats Jimmy Rave
* Tyler Black defeats Alex Shelley

* Roderick Strong defeats Chris Hero
* Tyler Black defeats Matt Sydal

* Roderick Strong defeats Tyler Black

Comments: This should be a really strong bracket. Hero and Ryan should have an entertaining match. Ryan owns part of the company, but he should do the right thing and lie down, and put the other guys over, even if they are bigger names elsewhere. Alex Shelley and Tyler Black could be reversed. If it comes down to Matt Sydal vs. Alex Shelley, I think Shelley gets the win, only to get snuffed out by Strong. The thing I am most confident on, is that Roderick Strong will advance to the finals.

Block B:
* Claudio Castagnoli defeats Doug Williams
* PAC defeats Jack Evans
* CIMA defeats The Human Tornado
* SHINGO defeats Scott Lost

* Claudio Castagnoli defeats PAC
* CIMA defeats SHINGO

* CIMA defeats Claudio Castagnoli

Comments: Part of me wants to go with Claudio for the win in this bracket, and another part of me would not be surprised to see PAC make it to the finals, either, but CIMA is probably the most interesting choice. Claudio going through might be too "ROH" for some people (Super V). CIMA adds a little flare and identity to the finals if he makes it.

Block C:
* Davey Richards defeats Nigel McGuinness
* Kevin Steen defeats Necro Butcher
* Susumu Yokosuka defeats Dragon Kid
* El Generico defeats Tony Kozina

* Kevin Steen defeats Davey Richards
* El Generico defeats Susumu Yokosuka

* El Generico defeats Kevin Steen

Comments: This is the hardest block to pick. I really don't like picking against Nigel McGuinness, but he is facing the winner of last year's BoLA. I don't think Davey will be out in the first round, and I think he matches up well with Steen, so I think he will get the nod over McGuinness. Having some big indie names like Austin Aries, Chris Hero and Nigel McGuinness go out in the first round also makes the tournament seem more cutthroat.

So that leaves us with the finals of Roderick Strong vs. CIMA vs. El Generico, which works for me. You have Roderick Strong, who is the FIP World Heavyweight Champion, and a product of Gabe's booking on the east coast; CIMA, Dragon Gate's Open the Dream Gate Champion, and international star; and El Generico, who is the homegrown wrestler on a role, and the former PWG World Champion. It would not shock me to see Nigel McGuinness in the finals (if he wins one match, I can't see him losing, it's just that first obstacle), or Claudio or PAC in CIMA's place, but this is how I see the tournament going.

My pick for who will win is tricky. I think we can rule out CIMA, as he isn't even in the country most of the time, and he was in the finals last year and couldn't get it done. It really comes down to Roderick Strong or El Generico. I think Generico will get his rematch one way or another, and doesn't really need the BoLA win. Strong is a semi-regular in PWG, and he was until recently one half of the PWG Tag Team Champions. A big win in this tournament would refocus him as a singles competitor. If this is under elimination rules, like last year's tournament was meant to be, I see CIMA taking the fall first, and then Generico falling to Roderick Strong.

FourFifty
09-01-2007, 02:41 AM
also

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/okxpY8MekA4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

Sweet Zombie Jesus, I was going to post "Spoiler- Cena Wins" but after watching that video... Holy God these guys are awesome!

Impact!
09-01-2007, 07:01 AM
PAC :love:

Mr. Nerfect
09-01-2007, 07:30 AM
I love the way that Pro Wrestling Guerrilla uses a gorilla as their logo. :love:

Fignuts
09-01-2007, 10:01 AM
What would you expect them to use? A walrus.

And I wouldn't bet against CIMA so easily. Right now CIMA loves the american indy scene, and has been competing here more and more.

Mr. Nerfect
09-01-2007, 10:07 AM
What would you expect them to use? A walrus.

And I wouldn't bet against CIMA so easily. Right now CIMA loves the american indy scene, and has been competing here more and more.

They could use anything. Guerrilla and gorilla are two completely different words, but when you think of "guerrilla" warfare, I think there has been a time when everybody thinks of the primate. It just feels like the Dynasty were playing with words when they came up with the company's name and logo, and that goes right into PWG's style.

CIMA will make it to the finals, I think. He will definitely make it to the B Block finals. I think it will come down to either him for Claudio Castagnoli, and I'm leaning towards CIMA. I don't think CIMA will take the tournament, however. I think it would be a fun story to see CIMA heading into next year's Battle of Los Angeles with a chio on his shoulder. He made the last two finals, but he's never won. Will the third time be the charm; will history repeat itself, or won't CIMA even be that lucky?

thecc
09-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I will be doing results once again for tonight.

Mooияakeя™
09-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Jack Evans is so fuckin' elasticated :love:

That video makes me want a DVD, and it better be region free.

Shit man, the fuckin' independants have shed loads of talent. I bet in an alternate universe PWG is competing with WWE and Cena is jobbing to some chimp in a zulu indy wrestling league.

Mr. Nerfect
09-02-2007, 03:19 AM
Jack Evans is so fuckin' elasticated :love:

That video makes me want a DVD, and it better be region free.

Shit man, the fuckin' independants have shed loads of talent. I bet in an alternate universe PWG is competing with WWE and Cena is jobbing to some chimp in a zulu indy wrestling league.

Don't let The One hear you say that. Guys that are not signed onto the WWE can't be good, apparently.

This tournament has a few things I don't really agree with. I mean, I guess they are just little, but I really think Joey Ryan should have jobbed to Chris Hero, and that Kevin Steen should have gone over Necro Butcher.

My picks for the second round are as follows:

* Roderick Strong over Joey Ryan
* Alex Shelley over Matt Sydal

* Claudio Castagnoli over PAC
* CIMA over SHINGO

* Nigel McGuinness over Necro Butcher
* El Generico over Dragon Kid

And then the third round:

* Roderick Strong over Alex Shelley

* CIMA over Claudio Castagnoli

* Nigel McGuinness over El Generico

The finals will likely be Roderick Strong vs. CIMA vs. Nigel McGuinness, with Claudio or El Generico being possible replacements for the last two. I guess Alex Shelley could even win, in an attempt to put over TNA. Maybe PWG is trying to crawl back into their good books?

Impact!
09-02-2007, 08:51 AM
PAC is gonna win it :mad:

The One
09-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Don't let The One hear you say that. Guys that are not signed onto the WWE can't be good, apparently.

I could name you 50 incredibly talented people who aren't signed to WWE right now. I will say Jack Evans is not one of them. Infact, Mr. Evans is probably one of the top 10 "go-to" guys for jokes on how they suck. Which means he makes my very exclusive list right along names like Nick Mondo and Ultimate Warrior. :y:

You can hope off my dick now Noid.

Super V
09-02-2007, 07:29 PM
One more step closer to seeing Joey Ryan completely bliterate Armdrag and take back his title.

thecc
09-02-2007, 11:15 PM
And here we go with night 3

CSL
09-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Random:

*A lot of stuff on that video up there was just dangerous, and not in a good way

*Jack Evans is a fucking spot monkey. And annoying to boot

*Tyler Black is excellent. Seems like a nice guy too

*The commentary is horrible

*Doug Williams = :D

Fignuts
09-03-2007, 12:33 AM
woooooooooooooooo come on CIMA

thecc
09-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Roddys got this, yo!

Mr. Nerfect
09-03-2007, 02:57 AM
I could name you 50 incredibly talented people who aren't signed to WWE right now. I will say Jack Evans is not one of them. Infact, Mr. Evans is probably one of the top 10 "go-to" guys for jokes on how they suck. Which means he makes my very exclusive list right along names like Nick Mondo and Ultimate Warrior. :y:

You can hope off my dick now Noid.

I don't think Jack Evans sucks as much as Nick Mondo or Ultimate Warrior, but I can empathise with that one.

thecc
09-03-2007, 03:06 AM
And your 2007 Battle of Los Angeles winner is

CIMA!!!!!!

thecc
09-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Heres some notes form the show. once again credit goes to T-mack from czwfans

BOLA Night 1:
-The venue is insanely hot, requiring Mike to purchase Dragon Gate fans to keep the gang cool. Thankfully bottled water is only a dollar.
-The opener was really hot and the crowd was definitely satisfied with it. The finish was really wacky and included a Young Buck hitting a Luchadore with Ken Kennedy's Green Bay Plunge onto the other Luchadore, followed by a 450 Splash from a Young Buck and then a Moonsault from the first Young Buck forming a huge dog-pile of sorts for the 3 count... It sounded really complicated but totally cool.
-Attendance for Night 1 is approximately 476.
-Sydal vs. Rave was very sloppy and the finish seemed as though Sydal just said "Fuck it, let's go home."
-After seemingly a hundred finishing moves, Alex Shelley was finally able to put away Tyler with the Shiranui.
-Castagnoli and Williams exchanged European Uppercuts for a good majority of the match with the crowd yelling "Ooh!" for Williams' and "Hey!" for Claudio's.
-PAC vs. Evans was fantastic and fans of high flying will love the match. Both guys were ON and hit everything.
-The main event had lots of false finishes.
-Match Of The Night: Kevin Steen and El Generico vs. Dragon Kid and Susumu Yokosuka, but a tough call.

BOLA Night 2:
-Everything has been really good so far.
-Steen/Necro was worked as a wrestler vs. fighter style match.
-Generico vs. Kozina was a very solid match-up.
-The Human Tornado/Candace angle came off incredibly well.
-Match Of The Night: Dragon Kid vs. Susumu Yokosuka.

BOLA Night 3:
-There is a huge red BOLA banner, autographed by all the participants of the tournament that will be going up for auction on eBay.
-The crowd is HOT, and the building is even hotter as tonight is the hottest of the 3 shows in the venue temperature-wise.
-The opener was a great match.
-Alex Shelley was again playing Superman it appeared as he kicked out of about 10 different match-finishing moves. The ending saw him counter a Shooting Sydal Press with an Ace Crusher and then dust off It Came From Japan (Reckless Youth's 2K1 Bomb) for the victory. Another good match.
-PAC vs. Castagnoli was outstanding. At one point PAC somehow did a suicide dive into a hurricanrana and Claudio at one point executed a 30+ rotation Giant Swing.
-CIMA vs. SHINGO was the fourth match in an ever extending series of great contests tonight. It's going to be impossible to call a "Match Of The Night" if things keep up at this pace.
-Nigel attacked Necro from behind leading to a brawl through the crowd while the fans collectively lost their shit. McGuinness used a chair to the knee and then destroyed Necro's leg before eventually putting him down with a suplex onto back-to-back set-up chairs and then the Jawbreaker Lariat. Nigel didn't take a bump during the match, but it was still tremendous.
-Generico used DK's height to his advantage and was able to connect with a running Yakuza kick while Dragon Kid was on the top rope before finishing him off with the Brainbustaaaaaaah. As you probably could've guessed by the pattern, it was another great match.
-At intermission in a very emotional ceremony, the Philly fans presented the West Coast fans with muffins. Pictures will be posted tonight/tomorrow.
-The Kickout King, Alex Shelley was finally put down following a flurry from Roderick Strong that ended with the Gibson Driver. Great match and another strong candidate for Match Of The Night honors.
-PAC was able to kick out of two Perfect Drivers before being put away with an Avalanche Schwein in a great match with a super hot crowd.
-McGuinness took 3 sick running Yakuza kicks from Generico during their bout, one while he was doing a headstand in the corner.
-Candace LaRae is now managing Chris Hero, referring to him as "Your hero and mine."
-The 12 Man Tag was a strict faces vs. heels match-up and a lot of fun. The heels worked over Jack Evans for one extended sequence. The match built to a dive sequence where Tornado faked out on his dive and instead grabbed Candace by the hair but was backslid by Hero for the 3 count. The finish came out of nowhere and was a little flat, but other than that it was a good match.
-All three men in the finals got streamers and it is being held under elimination rules.
-A TON of 3-way spots in the finals.
-Craziness: Strong gave CIMA a backbreaker on the apron, then Generico gave Strong a Brainbuster on the apron, then CIMA gave Generico a Schwein on the apron.
-Strong kicked out of two Schweins but was eventually put away with the Crossfire after CIMA kicked out of the Gibson Driver.

Mr. Nerfect
09-03-2007, 04:20 AM
I picked the finals correctly in my original guess, didn't take CIMA for the win, though. This is good for him, and I guess there are plans to use him a lot more in PWG (I hope).

Fignuts
09-03-2007, 04:37 AM
YES!

Mr. Nerfect
09-03-2007, 04:57 AM
Good job calling it, Fignuts.

So I guess this means CIMA will get a title shot. Bryan Danielson vs. CIMA will be a great match when it happens. With El Generico bound to get his rematch, too, PWG should have some great main events coming.

Mr. Monday Morning
09-03-2007, 05:48 AM
Danielson vs CIMA has already happened before in PWG, fyi (they went 30 minute draw) so it actually makes continuity sense as well.

Impact!
09-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Someone get me a copy of PAC V CIMA :heart:

Mooияakeя™
09-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I never said I like Jack Evans, just said he's elasticated.

Then said the independants (as a whole) have talent, more than some may realise.

and to IC. U got somethin against Zulu?

The One
09-03-2007, 07:47 PM
I was almost going to go to this years BoLA...

I have officially added nothing to this conversation by telling you all that.

Well it's over, and I didn't make it to this years BoLA...

I have officially added nothing more to this conversation by telling you all something you already know.

Mr. Monday Morning
12-01-2007, 04:34 PM
DVDs are now shipping. DDT4 (the tag tournament weekend) is shipping too, which looks pretty awesome. But as for BOLA...

http://i5.tinypic.com/8aw0ex1.gif

ps I did not make this. I do however love Shelley and Sydal, so that match will probably validate me purchasing the DVDs by itself.

Impact!
12-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Someone get me a copy of PAC V CIMA :heart: